D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Lubidius

A well done WOT re-read archive.

Disclaimer: I have NOT read any of Jordan's Wheel Of Time books, but plan on as soon as I'm caught up on the George RR Martin Game Of Thrones series, and the compilations of Conan I'm working through.

Anyhoo...Just in pre-emptively searching the net for potential info on WOT series, I found this gem -

http://www.tor.com/features/series/wot-reread

Very well done re-read of all of the WOT books. Spoilers throughout! Watch out if you haven't read them.

I'm pretty much of the opinion that I WON'T ever read any of the BRICKS of Time.

Nor will I read ANYTHING by George RR Martin.

I have a nice small assortment of writers I do read in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy genre, most of whom have their entire library published as of now since they've likely passed away years ago...

Except for a couple who are slowing down a bit it seems, which means that I'm not going to expect many more from them.

Trust me on this: I have more books than many of the local public libraries.

Placing limits on what I collect is for the best.

I'm with Skeloric, actually. The best I have ever done was the entire Tolkien series in order. Not in order of writing, in chronological order within the series. Took me the better part of a year (longer than when I read the Bible). The only other long series I have read was the Narnia series back in High School. I am currently finishing a compilation of comics and novels to begin my next big step...

Jedi vs Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force Part Three: Dark Jedi

to

Legacy: War #6

Thanks to Timeline Universe for the list.

I've read the wheel of time.. gave up after book 8. Scanned through book 9 and read the last chapter. after that... thhbbbpptt.

GRRM spins a good tale, it's just he's got other series so the books are slow coming out.

I loved the Riftwar novels (spanning hundreds of years) by Raymond E. Feist

Of late, I've been working my way through Robert Howard Conan compilations...

For example... http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Conan-Cimmerian-Original-Adventures/dp/0345461517/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310580248&sr=1-1

I've also been working my way through (and re-reading for a couple of them) M.A.R. Barker's Tekumel books -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._A._R._Barker

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T%C3%A9kumel

as well as reading a couple Hugo award (early years) compilations and the like. Trying to just get a good sample across the board sci fi and fantasy wise. Got several works now by Poul Anderson, including his Conan The Rebel book. Found that in hard back for a steal recently. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poul_Anderson Love his work!

So I started Wheel Of Time , and I hate to say it, I'm not impressed. I don't know why, it just does not click with me. Now, Song Of Ice And Fire, GRR Martin , at least in the first book I've read thus far, is very good. I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir, but if you have a choice between starting the SOI&F series by Martin, or Jordans WOT, I'd take SOI&F any day of the week. It is just entirely more believable, connecting, well written. I just find myself stumbling left and right through reading the first WOT book, with little payback. Sorry to WOT lovers out there. Just one person's opinion.

Any WOT lovers that care to try and sell me on the rest of the eye of the world book? I'm about 200 pages in and so far it's a cumbersome yawn-fest.

Edited by Lubidius

I had a lot of friends recommend this series to me, and I waited until the series was close to finished to read the first book (I learned that one from George R.R. Martin stringing me along all these years and still doing it). Fortunately I found almost the whole series at the local Goodwill for a dollar each in hardcover, great deal...not so much. I started reading the first book and slogged through the first fifty pages, deciding that I was not in the mood and should try again later, of course my initial reaction of "You are sitting at a bar with your friends when an old traveler walks in..." might be right.

I'm at the point in my life where, as a very slow reader myself (I read pretty much at speaking speed); if I don't get snagged within the first hundred plus pages, you just aren't going to impress me beyond that. I tend to take out three or so books, read the first 100 pages of them all, then continue the one/s that still have me wanting to turn the pages. Game Of Thrones (SOI&E book 1), I read a couple hundred pages in one sitting. Eye Of The World, man, it's taken me a couple weeks to read 200 pages, and I just don't care to slog on in it. I have the attention span of a newt, so, that plays into it: but I just find the character development almost non-existent, and the story is sub par. I'll stop now, as I don't want to slag upon WOT lovers. I'm sure it vindicates itself for the patient reader.

Taste in fiction is pretty subjective. There are a lot of titles on the shelves that I don't fancy. But it appears enough people are buying those titles to keep the publisher satisfied enough to keep paying the authors to churn out more.

If you want interesting, gritty fantasy stories I'd recommend Glen Cook - the Dread Empire and Black Company series are great and his solo novel The Swordbearer out Stormbringers Moorcock - and I say that as a long time Moorcock fan. These have much more serious and to me interesting worlds and tones than his humorous Garrett P.I. stories. I've really liked everything I've read by Joe Abercrombie, I've read the First Law series and Best Served Cold - all four novels were great and very gritty. And if you like really long series and novels, Steven Erikson is good - in much the same vein as the Black Company and Dread Empire series by Cook.

Yeah, I have been going through a serious oldies phase. The King of YS, the whole Stormbringer Saga, Corum, Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser, anything Conan, rereading Game of Thrones and its follow on books, and finally found a newer writer for me that I can't put down Bernard Cornwell. Of course while doing this I foolishly decided to look into why Stephen Lawhead seemed popular, and discovered that I can have Jesus shoved down my throat in less costly ways in time, money, and overall effort.

Ah yes, Fritz Leiber is definitely one of the oldies but goodies. Cornwell is fun, but I find I can't read two of his books in a row. Too much plot recycling. For his Sharpe series I actually prefer the television shows with Sean Beane and Daragh O'Malley.

I wish they would do the Saxon Stories as a television show as long as they kept it brutal and in your face. Sharpe tv series is definitely cool, I have not gotten to reading them yet.

Anyone else ever feel that there is a total overload of fiction?

I find myself looking at a book sometimes only to stop and think, "Yeah, that's just great... I've already got enough books in my 'must read' list that I'll likely never get to them all in a single lifetime. I sure as hell don't need another to add to the list."

Honestly, just in a decision to reread my WHOLE ENTIRE collection, I could easily burn up a couple of years.

.. That is if I read books 12 hours a day every day for that entire time.

I agree with you, Skeloric, there are too many books out there (and in my own personal reading library) that I would love to read, and it's complicated by the fact that my reading speed became much slower about 6 or 7 years ago. I've drifted more toward anthologies and short stories, and more recently has included TPB collected comics. Even before I was slowing down, I discovered Lovecraft, so it was easy to fall back on him and works related to his stories' loose cosmology. Through Lovecraft I ran across references to Robert E. Howard, and tentatively picked up Del Rey's The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian. That got crazy and I ended up with the whole Del Rey collection of REH anthologies (with a couple of other anthologies from other publishers to round things off). I've really had the time of my life get quick and to-the-point Sword and Sorcery fixes from those stories. I haven't sworn off large fantasy, and I'm curious regarding what a friend has described to me about Steve Erickson's Malazan books. Mainly these days, I still bounce back and forth between a variety of anthologies (one story at a time from each anthology) and comics.

I feel the same way about Television, too. "Oh, have you seen X great show?!" Me: "No, I'll add it to my 'must see' list and I'll get around to it later... like in five years when it makes it to Netflix."

I feel the same way about Television, too... "No, I'll add it to my 'must see' list and I'll get around to it later... like in five years when it makes it to Netflix."

I watch more movies than TV, but nowadays virtually all TV show seasons are available on DVD before the end of the summer (even cancelled series), and they are available on Netflix almost immediately after. So it shouldn't take 5 years to get to Netflix, but perhaps it takes you that long to get down your list.

I agree with you, Skeloric, there are too many books out there (and in my own personal reading library) that I would love to read

I have 3 reading lists: ancient literature, non-fiction and fiction. For many years I didn't do much my fiction reading. But in the last couple years I've neglected ancient literature and non-fiction, and I actually feel guilty about it. I buy books faster than I can read them, and I have a massive personal library myself. If I don't get to them all in this life, at least I now have offspring to pass them down to!