D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Whill

Summer 2011 Movie Thread

Here is my IMDb pending movie list of films I personally was/am interested in from the "summer" movie season 2011 (that's started in May):

Thor

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

X-Men: First Class

Super 8 (6/10)

Green Lantern

Harry Potter and the Dealthy Hollows, Part 2

Captain America: The First Avenger

Cowboys and Aliens

Rise of the Planet of the Apes

Fright Night (8/19)

As far as what I've watched lately, my wife and I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides in the theater. It was entertaining, but more of the same. If you liked the previous films you'll probably like this one too.
Edited by Whill
(2011)

I thought that the 2011 summer film season should have its own thread so here it is. Please feel free to bring up any theatrically-released summer film I haven't.

Here is my IMDb pending movie list of films I personally was/am interested in from the "summer" movie season 2011 (that's started in May):

Thor

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

X-Men: First Class

Super 8

Green Lantern

(7/15) Harry Potter and the Dealthy Hollows, Part 2

(7/22) Captain America: The First Avenger

(7/29) Cowboys and Aliens

(8/05) Rise of the Planet of the Apes

(8/19) Fright Night

Thor was pretty good. To avoid the appearance of promoting paganism, they went the sci-fi route of explaining that the other eights worlds of Norse Mythology are other realities/dimensions that connect to ours through wormholes, and that the mythological pagan gods are real beings that were falsley perceived by ancient humans to be deities (an understandable misinterpretation since they very powerful yet appear human, age very slowly and speak human languages). If you liked the Marvel comic book Thor then you will probably like this movie adaptation. For me, Thor is about on par with The Incredible Hulk. I still feel that the first Iron Man film is the best "Avengers" movie so far.

I'm actually not a huge fan of the X-Men franchise as a whole so far. X-Men 3 was awful, but the first two films and the Wolverine movie were ok. That being said, I was pleasantly surprised by X-Men: First Class, which is easily my favorite of the X-Men films so far. If you like any of the previous X-Men films then I recommend you see this one.

Green Lantern was just plain silly. The main villain is this gigantic monster with humanoid but large-brained head surrounded by tentacles flying under its own power through the void of space. Really! I was never a big fan of the Green Lantern character as a superhero-comic-book-collecting kid (too powerful), but I've been going to see all the big Marvel and DC movies a little out of nostalgia but also because Spider-Man and Batman Begins/The Dark Knight were so good. I wasn't expecting greatness for Green Lantern but I still really regret the ticket price and time spent watching this film. What a waste.

I still haven't seen Super 8 yet.

So far from best to worst, hero wise in the past couple months..

Thor

X-Men First Class (very close second place)

Green Lantern

Green Hornet

Just in overall how much I was pleased with the film. The gap between X-Men and Green L is actually rather large mind you. None will get oscars by any means. I didn't want my money back for any of them, but as seen some were much better then the others. Capt. America looks the best out of what is coming down the pipe. I have heard good things about Super 8. It's next on my watch list along with CAmerica. The Rise of PA actually looks pretty well done. God knows it's likely better then the last Planet offerings.

(7/15) Harry Potter and the Dealthy Hollows, Part 2

The final HP movie was pretty good. They thankfully couldn't get away with cutting out the final battle of Hogwarts (like they did for the Half-Blood Prince film's final battle) because now it was finally down to the final climactic clash between good and evil. As far as how this movie rates in relation to the rest of the HP film series or how I even rank the movies, I'm still not sure yet.

The books are easy: IMO they just got better and better as they went alone, a very rare phenomenom in this world suffering so greatly from what I call "sequelitis". Each book got more mature and darker as the series progressed, and I absolutely loved the Deathly Hollows as one of the best works of fiction I have ever read.

Before Dealthly Hollows Part 2, Prisoner of Azkaban has been my favorite film in a movie series of fluctuating quality. IF they hadn't cut the final battle out of the Half-Blood Prince film, the heightened drama of that film probably would have nudged Half-Blood Prince over Azkaban in my mind.

Deathly Hollows Part 1 really isn't a stand-alone movie in my mind. I defintely agree that one 2-hour movie couldn't have done Book 7 justice, but two 2-hour films seems to be too much for Part 1 to really be that interesting. I think they should have instead just made one LotR-ish 3-hour film for Book 7, but no, that is not nearly as commercial as two normal-length films.

Before Dealthly Hallows Part 2 comes out on video, my wife and I plan to rewatch the entire previous 7 films of the series leading up to it to get the full-effect of the complete movie series, and perhaps we'll have a better perspective to be able to rank the films against each other (and determine if Dealthly Hollows Part 2 is the better than Prisoner of Azkaban or not).

Of the films listed, I know which ones I want to see:

Super 8

Green Lantern

Cowboys and Aliens

I'll probably have to see at least some on DVD unfortunately.

The entertainment budget is somewhere around a dollar a week.

Of the films listed, I know which ones I want to see:

Super 8

Green Lantern

Cowboys and Aliens

I'll probably have to see at least some on DVD unfortunately.

The entertainment budget is somewhere around a dollar a week.

I haven't seen the rest, but may I suggest anyway putting Green Lantern at the bottom of your list? I thought it was absolutely rediculous.

I plan on seeing either Captain America or Cowboys and Aliens this weekend.

Comic Book movies always come off as ridiculous in the Box Office.

Critics were ripping on the Kingpin character in the Daredevil film, "one guy could never control all crime in New York city!" -- except in Marvel comics, that is exactly what he did for many many years.

Comic Book movies always come off as ridiculous in the Box Office.

Critics were ripping on the Kingpin character in the Daredevil film, "one guy could never control all crime in New York city!" -- except in Marvel comics, that is exactly what he did for many many years.

I disagree that movies based on comic books always come off as rediculous. Some defintely do, but I like some of them, like the aforementioned Spider-Man and Nolan Batman films. I also like the Daredevil Director's Cut, the edit of the film that took out the stupid sex scene and wasn't otherwise muddled with by the studio.

And no, I don't think that all crime in NYC could possibly be controlled by the Kingpin. (He's behind every rape and liquor store robbery? Uh no). I think that most of the organized crime could be traced back to the Kingpin, at least if you already accept that toxic waste could give someone echo-location-radar :)

Edited by Whill

I saw Captain America over the weekend. It was definitely worth a viewing. I really liked the time they allowed and the approach they took showing the man behind the shield. I think the skinny Steve effect worked quite well. It was pleasantly refreshing to have a hero that is more light than all dark and angsty. The idea that a weak man would value the strength that he gained in a way that a strong man would not and the notion that the weak man was more likely to have compassion towards others as well was very interesting and insightful. Applicable perhaps to Jedi characters. Greater compassion may be the key to why Luke succeeds where Yoda fails.

I disagree that movies based on comic books always come off as rediculous.

I was thinking more in the way critics grab onto some element that is taken completely from the comic and cite it as why the movie totally sucks and is not worth anyone's time.

And no, I don't think that all crime in NYC could possibly be controlled by the Kingpin. (He's behind every rape and liquor store robbery? Uh no). I think that most of the organized crime could be traced back to the Kingpin, at least if you already accept that toxic waste could give someone echo-location-radar :)

Oh, hell, yeah, all ORGANIZED crime.

I saw Captain America over the weekend. It was definitely worth a viewing. I really liked the time they allowed and the approach they took showing the man behind the shield. I think the skinny Steve effect worked quite well. It was pleasantly refreshing to have a hero that is more light than all dark and angsty. The idea that a weak man would value the strength that he gained in a way that a strong man would not and the notion that the weak man was more likely to have compassion towards others as well was very interesting and insightful. Applicable perhaps to Jedi characters. Greater compassion may be the key to why Luke succeeds where Yoda fails.

Now take that strong compassion and nearly iconic faith in America, take it directly from about 1945 to 2012 and realize just how totally "lost in time" he will feel in the Avengers film.

It was already pretty bad when they found him in the 1960s back in Silver Age Marvel, its only going to have gotten worse.

(See the Ultimates for an example)

A pal of mine is coming down from Cleveland to visit this weekend, and we plan on seeing a movie. Captain America was the leading candidate but I think I'll try to talk him into seeing Rise of the Planet of the Apes instead. But I still plan on seeing Super 8, Cowboys and Aliens and Captain America eventually. So hard to keep up on theatrical movie releases with kids who are too young to take with me!

Don't monkey around with RotPotA, go see a real American Hero. ;)- Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Seriously though I can't say I am that excited to see that film. I thought in the 2001 Apes remake the prosthetic makeup and performances were no where near as good as the original with Zira (Kim Hunter) and Cornelius (Roddy McDowall).

Don't monkey around with RotPotA, go see a real American Hero. ;)- Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Seriously though I can't say I am that excited to see that film. I thought in the 2001 Apes remake the prosthetic makeup and performances were no where near as good as the original with Zira (Kim Hunter) and Cornelius (Roddy McDowall).
Actually, I respectfully take the opposite view. My parents took me to see the original PotA and as much as I loved it, the Mark Walburg remake/reboot was pretty damm clever. The training the actors went through so their behavor/movements were more like the type of ape they were portraying was like 3 months long and it paid off. PotA was everyone walking around like a human, with the smallest of behaviors to suggest they weren't human.

There were some malfunctions in the newer one... like how did they get horses when the Oberon (presumably) didn't carry any? And I didn't know that they carried any gorillas, orangutans etc. The original the apes had cartidge based firearms but lived in mud buildings (some quite nice). Advanced metallurgy yes primitive building?

I love them both, each great in there own way.

I love them both, each great in there own way.

You're the first person I have ever encountered on the internet that also liked the Tim Burton film. Nice to make your aquaintance! I've seen all "Apes" films before this new one, and out of all of them I liked the Tim Burton one best. They did act more like apes. The horse thing is no big deal by just assuming that there were horses on the ship for some reason. Maybe they were experimenting on them in space or horses were somehow a part of the training of the apes. Teaching apes to control and ride horses as humans do may be somewhat related to their ability to pilot vehicles (Beast Riding was a Mechanical skill).

I enjoyed the original film too, but its sequels not so much.

You don't have to worry about prosthetics with the new film because the apes are mostly all CG (but main characters use motion capture of human performers like with Golumn). And this new film is yet another reboot, so it is not a part of the contiinuity of the Tim Burton film (or the originals).

You don't have to worry about prosthetics with the new film because the apes are mostly all CG (but main characters use motion capture of human performers like with Golumn). And this new film is yet another reboot, so it is not a part of the contiinuity of the Tim Burton film (or the originals).
I just don't find the tale that compelling. In fact I can't even remember the book by Pierre Boulle. But hey, it is way, wayyyy ahead of the Green Lantern on my list of things to see.

I'd have to say the originals were better overall compared to the Tim Burton movie. Sure, they had the ape imitation down, but the overall story and acting were subpar, in my opinion. This newest one is in my "we'll see" category. I won't go to the theaters to see it, but I will rent it. I'm hoping it'll be better than the Tim Burton movie.

Still, no one has yet to beat ol' Chuck Heston along with Kim Hunter and Roddy McDowell in terms of really getting the feeling right.

A pal of mine is coming down from Cleveland to visit this weekend... I'll try to talk him into seeing Rise of the Planet of the Apes instead. But I still plan on seeing Super 8, Cowboys and Aliens and Captain America eventually. So hard to keep up on theatrical movie releases with kids who are too young to take with me!

My pal wanted to see Rise of the Planet but he had already promised his dad he would go see it with him. So I let my pal pick and he chose Cowboys and Aliens based on our mutual history with Harrison Ford films. :cool:

Cowboys and Aliens was entertaining. It's not something worth owning, but it is worth one more viewing when it comes out through Netflix (this time with my wife who wants to see it but didn't get to).

Rise of the Planet of the Apes:

The story was told well, and while it was CGI heavy, while viewing you still felt a connection to the plausibility of it. It did not get too cheesy, nor did it take itself too seriously. James Franco did a convincing job of empathizing with the CGI ape. John Lithgow did a great job of playing a crazy old guy with Alzheimer's. The antagonist actors were good at creating roles that really just served as motivators for "Caesar"'s character to become bitter and disconnected from Humanity as a group. At the same time, the Caesar character learned empathy and self-control, and this metamorphosis of self-realization and self-control. I enjoyed it and thought it was worth seeing if you enjoyed any of the original "Apes" movies, this one has appeal. It does a decent job of bringing to life the mythology again, and does a better job that the last movie.

Cowboys and Aliens:

I saw this with my children, ages 10, 7 and 5. They enjoyed it quite a bit (especially the boys), though my daughter thought that some parts were a little too loud. The storyline arc does a good job of answeing the beginning questions to the character, the amnesia, and the changes the characters experience. There was some slight strangeness in the story that were used as surprises, but really it was done poorly. Some of the story steering was predicatble, and that took a little away from the overall strength of the concept. The adventure we follow of the main character was decent, and it was fun to see him evolve socially. I wanted to see more of Harrison Ford, as he brought out a little of "Han Solo" in playing the character in C&A. You were left wanting more of that arrogance and grittiness. There was a little touchy-feely stuff that helped propel the character relationships along, but they were forced in places, with the most genuine feeling, being that between Harrison Ford and Adam Beach (Windtalkers), who played a native american character who was adopted long ago by Harrison Ford's character. At the end of the day, it was well done enough to provide RPG and general adventure inspiration, but nothing along the lines of the Adjustment Bureau or the Matrix.

I thought that the 2011 summer film season should have its own thread so here it is. Please feel free to bring up any theatrically-released summer film I haven't.

Cowboys and Aliens was entertaining. It's not something worth owning, but it is worth one more viewing when it comes out through Netflix (this time with my wife who wants to see it but didn't get to).

Well that's a rather generic and neutral review.

I'm sorry for your false impression behind the purpose of this thread. This summer movie thread was born out of the What have you been watching lately? thread which is used to merely discuss what you've been watching lately. Some have chosen to go into more detail about what they have been watching than others, and that is ok.

I noticed that I had a significant list of movies I wanted to see as a part of this summer movie season. Knowing that some others on this board have similar interests in movies, I thought it would be appropriate to create a separate thread for summer movies. I acknowledge that some may also want to see summer movies that I am not interested in, so I even included an open invitation for everyone to discuss any summer movies whether on my list or not.

By me referring to the orignial thread and using the term "bring up" here, I did not intend this thread to exclusively be full-fledged movie "reviews". What you criticize as "a rather generic and neutral review" was not intended to be a review at all. It was intended as it literally appears: merely a brief reaction that qualifies my future intentions to view it one more time, but not to buy it. I intended this thread to be completely open-ended as far as depth and detail is concerned. I wanted everyone to feel free to post as little or as much as they have to say about summer movies. (I admit that I did just assume the common courtesy of clearly indicating spoilers would be upheld.) I know you have read some epic posts from me over the years, but believe it or not, I don't always have a lot to say about everything. Cowboys is one of those things. Hopefully you are more satisfied with arcgaden's response to the film.

And you may have a different view of the term "neutral" anyway. I didn't love the movie, but I did like it. By "entertaining" I was hoping to portray an overall positive reaction to the film. Generic yes, but neutral no. :cool:

Cowboys and Aliens:

...At the end of the day, it was well done enough to provide RPG and general adventure inspiration

I can agree with that statement.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes:

The story was told well, and while it was CGI heavy, while viewing you still felt a connection to the plausibility of it. It did not get too cheesy, nor did it take itself too seriously. James Franco did a convincing job of empathizing with the CGI ape. John Lithgow did a great job of playing a crazy old guy with Alzheimer's. The antagonist actors were good at creating roles that really just served as motivators for "Caesar"'s character to become bitter and disconnected from Humanity as a group. At the same time, the Caesar character learned empathy and self-control, and this metamorphosis of self-realization and self-control. I enjoyed it and thought it was worth seeing if you enjoyed any of the original "Apes" movies, this one has appeal. It does a decent job of bringing to life the mythology again, and does a better job that the last movie.

Thank you for your response! I'm looking forward to seeing the film.

Thanks for the reviews, arcgaden! That's kind of what I was looking for in order to have an idea of whether the cost of the movie ticket is worth the trip.

Glad to be of service. I see a good number of movies as time allows, so feel free to ask me as desired.

- J.

Edited by Whill
moved suggestion for "Outlander" to the "What have you been watching lately?" thread as it was from 2008, not this summer