Cowboy Hat

Fires of Amatsumra

14 posts in this topic

okay, so I've just picked up Fires of Amatsumra because it was under £4 new....well with shipping more like £7 but I got it combined with a couple of other books.

I don't really know much about it, and I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of a rundown?

cheers!

To be frank I love FoA, as it is cowboys in space. It covers everything that is in all different kind of cowboy movies. Each planet highlighting a different approach on the theme as seen in the cowboys movies.

Barren: high sierra, inhospitable desert with dust flying around and some meager villages trying to survive complete with gold, ahm psiron rush, mining barons and some ranchers.

Languid: The south complete with rich farmer aristocracy and slaves. But with its own twist as the slaves and landowners are split geographically by the dark and light side of the planet.

Luminous: Basically the big cities on the northern east coast. But in the form of high-tech-floating cities. In the cowboy movies, though New York and Boston are pretty much like european cities, they are seldom visited, nothing more than stories for the people in the movies, basically another world. In FoA they are expensive to visit, expensive to live on and basically a different world with really wild tech and its own social structure.

Saurian: A world of Ranchers and Cowboys, pardon Raptorboys. Complete with the feuds between Ranchers about water and pastureground.

Scintilla: Alaska in the gold rush. But here it is gems and crystals but also a penal colony, high gravity and lots of environmental dangers. Maybe also Inuit territory or Nova Scotia (seldom visited by cowboy movies but interesting nonetheless).

Tenebrous: I am not sure how to fit this in the cowboy theme. Maybe it is meant to be South America. An exotic place, but this one differs. This is more than Mexico where every bandit dreams to escape to from the posse. With its darkness and mushrooms it can't be placed clearly anywhere. Maybe a twisted version of the bayous.

Verdant: Only one word, jungle. This is brazil or Guatemala or something like that. Not seen often in cowboy movies, but interesting nonetheless.

So the options for adventure here are far more than cowboy movies deliver. And we all know how many stories where placed in this classic setting. Combine this with SF and you get much more than just a Firefly-clone.

I hope this helps. Click on the little right of the "Stormchild" to go to the thread this was quoted from.

I hope this helps. Click on the little right of the "Stormchild" to go to the thread this was quoted from.

Awesome. Not that I mind if it was only a firefly clone, that be some good sci-fi partner.

As far as I know, Eric Gibson (Purgatory Publishing) still owns it. I have not read anywhere that Eric sold it off to anyone else, and it was not opened up as a part of Open D6. My only guess as to why Amatsumra wasn't made OGL is because it's a setting (like TORG, Shatterzone, Bloodshadows) that may hold some value to some potential buyer interested in gaining the copyright to it.

I like FoA but it doesn't seem to be even nearly as valuable a property as TORG or Shatterzone. If you're interested you can probably make an offer to Eric and buy the rights to it.

As far as I know, Eric Gibson (Purgatory Publishing) still owns it. I have not read anywhere that Eric sold it off to anyone else, and it was not opened up as a part of Open D6. My only guess as to why Amatsumra wasn't made OGL is because it's a setting (like TORG, Shatterzone, Bloodshadows) that may hold some value to some potential buyer interested in gaining the copyright to it.

Thanks. That is what I thought, but I thought I might have overlooked something.

I like FoA but it doesn't seem to be even nearly as valuable a property as TORG or Shatterzone.

Indeed. TORG is the one that really has potential, but both that and Shatterzone would do so much better if someone actually did some real work to it and put in the cash to do some actual marketing.

If you're interested you can probably make an offer to Eric and buy the rights to it.

Nah, I dont have the kind of cash or time to do anything serious with any RPG setting at the moment. Personally I would have liked to see Amatsumra integrated into the Shatterzone universe.

-Havard

Personally I would have liked to see Amatsumra integrated into the Shatterzone universe.

You should state your case to the owner of Shatterzone and perhaps they can buy Amatsumra for that integration. I have no inside knowledge of such things, but somehow I doubt Eric would expect too much of an offer for the single FoA paperback book rights.

I recently, finally, picked this up. My first impression was very Firefly. Think that was kind of the angle?

You should state your case to the owner of Shatterzone and perhaps they can buy Amatsumara for that integration. I have no inside knowledge of such things, but somehow I doubt Eric would expect too much of an offer for the single FoA paperback book rights.

That is actually a pretty interesting idea. I have been hoping that Precis Intermedia would release new (i.e. not reprinted) material for Shatterzone at some point. A conversion of Amatsumara would require some conversion work, but still not require a fully new product to be written.

I agree about Amatsumara having a definite Firefly wibe to it. For some reason I always saw Shatterzone as more gritty than Firefly, but then again the Firefly Universe (The 'Verse) is pretty gritty when you think about it. Not a bad match at all :)

-Havard

With WEG having been bought by Noctural Media, would anyone be interested in seeing Fires of Amatsumara make a return?

-Havard

I'd like to see it, if there's the potential for expansion of the setting. From my understanding, it's pretty close in tone to Firefly, so you'd loose the immediate player recognition of playing in that setting, but you'd gain a lot of development freedom from not working within an IP. It'd give you a ruleset and plot/setting ideas you could easily rework to the Firefly setting, if you wanted, as well.

I'd like to see it, if there's the potential for expansion of the setting. From my understanding, it's pretty close in tone to Firefly, so you'd loose the immediate player recognition of playing in that setting, but you'd gain a lot of development freedom from not working within an IP. It'd give you a ruleset and plot/setting ideas you could easily rework to the Firefly setting, if you wanted, as well.

Yes, I believe it was inspired by Firefly. I agree that the freedom of working outside a movie/TV lisence can be an advantage. I'd be interested in seeing the setting expanded. At one point I toyed with the idea of integrating it with my Shatterzone campaign, though Precis Intermedia owns Shatterzone so an official combined setting of those two seems unlikely to happen.

-Havard