D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
mbentley

[IC] Precinct 13 - Monster Squad - First Day on the Job

Monday, April 5, 2010

10:05 AM

First Bank of Empire City

Corner of Emerald Street & Diamond Street

The bank has only been open for about an hour and there are a handful of customers in the bank. A middle-aged security guard stands by the entrance, watching all the customers. The door opens and a beautiful woman dressed in a trench coat, a large hat and sunglasses enters. She looks around and yells, "Look at me!" Everyone turns to look at her and she whips off her hat. Her head is covered in dozens of foot long snakes. The guard reaches for his gun, but before he can draw it him and everyone else in the bank are turned to stone.

She quickly puts her hat back on and sets about emptying the cash drawers and stuffing the money into her bag. She's gone within five minutes of arriving at the bank.

Monday, April 5, 2010

11:00 AM

1st District Police Station

The Basement

The basement is home to Precinct 13, also known as The Monster Squad, the police that deal with the strange and unusual cases. Captain Elizabeth Dunn is the head of the Monster Squad and there are three teams of two detectives (Angela Lopez & Richard Jones, Thomas Stone & Mario Leone and Marcus Davis & Michelle Mitchell). Stone and Leone are the detectives currently on duty, but they are off investigating the Medusa Bank robbery.

Officers Cole Rickson and Michael Robert Pivnick III have been called in to meet with Captain Dunn. Both are dressed in their uniforms and are standing in Dunn's office. She is sitting behind her desk and looks the two officers over. "Now I know you both know what we do down here. Officer Rickson, you've worked a few cases with us and Officer Pivnick, I know about your talent. You've both been assigned to the Monster Squad by my request. You are going to be part of a new initiative. When you report to work tomorrow you are to be dressed in civilian clothes and not your uniforms. You will still be Officers and not Detectives, but it'll help you in your jobs." She pauses and says, "You've probably both heard about the robbery at the First Bank of Empire City. well I want you two to head into Monster Town and see if you can find anything about the Medusa who committed the crime. Any questions?"

Cole feels out of place in his uniform, but it was a "requirement" when reporting to Captain Dunn for his new position. Yeah, he had worked with Precinct 13 on a couple of past cases. One of them still haunted him. He shuddered at the thought and quickly tried to push away the dark thoughts welling up from his memories. Stay focused on business.

"I've a couple, Captain. First, do we have any other information besides this heist was pulled off by a dreg from M-town? Second, what do you want us to do if we find this perp? It's not like anything from M-town ever wants to be pulled in."

He then looks over at the young kid next to him. Looks kinda wet-behind-the-ears. "You got anything you wanna add, Pivnick?"

Pivnick shifts uncomfortably at the mention of his "talent" so casually. He still quite hasn't made his peace with it yet, but even if he wasn't the best at controlling it yet, it made him a good cop and that -- that he liked. Sure it made him a bit different and he didn't ever really like sticking out from the crowd, but he'd do just about anything to prove he could do this job well. Reading his pop's journals is one thing, but doing the job is another and, well, there's only one way to get experience.

He didn't want to look like he didn't know what he was doing, so he thought quickly of some more questions to ask before they started their investigation. He looked to Captain Dunn "Yea, uh... How about surveillance? Anything on the bank security tapes that could be of use?"

Pivnick briefly glanced to his side at his older and wiser counterpart for any signs of embarrassment before continuing.

"Maybe a driver? Accomplices? Make and model of any vehicles? That kind of thing?"

"I've a couple, Captain. First, do we have any other information besides this heist was pulled off by a dreg from M-town? Second, what do you want us to do if we find this perp? It's not like anything from M-town ever wants to be pulled in."

He didn't want to look like he didn't know what he was doing, so he thought quickly of some more questions to ask before they started their investigation. He looked to Captain Dunn "Yea, uh... How about surveillance? Anything on the bank security tapes that could be of use?"

Pivnick briefly glanced to his side at his older and wiser counterpart for any signs of embarrassment before continuing.

"Maybe a driver? Accomplices? Make and model of any vehicles? That kind of thing?"

Captain Dunn says, "We have a still from the surveillance camera, her face is partially hidden by her sunglasses." She slides a photo of a women dressed in an expensive trench coat and expensive, designer sunglasses. "Outside the bank's cameras caught her hoping into a car and stole it. We've already found it abandoned in Monster Town." She pauses for a moment and says, "I'd start by talking to The Count in Nightmares. See if he knows anything. If you find her wear these," she takes out a pair of mirrored goggles from a drawer in her desk. "Then do what you need to. Bring her in if possible, if not take her down. She is considered armed and VERY dangerous and is wanted for eight counts of murder."

Cole took the pair of mirrored goggles and looked at them. Silly looking, but probably necessary if what he heard turned out to be true...which it probably was. "There are probably no known associates for this creature. Can I get authorization to get a shotgun from the armory, just in case we run into any dregs that are bigger than they are bright? Also, is there an unmarked you want us to take or are we just using a patrol car on this?"

He turned to look at Pivnick, "Hey kid, you ever been on a shake down like this?"

Cole took the pair of mirrored goggles and looked at them. Silly looking, but probably necessary if what he heard turned out to be true...which it probably was. "There are probably no known associates for this creature. Can I get authorization to get a shotgun from the armory, just in case we run into any dregs that are bigger than they are bright? Also, is there an unmarked you want us to take or are we just using a patrol car on this?"

"You have authorization to requisition a shotgun from the armory. For today us a patrol car. Tomorrow when you come in I'll have an unmarked assigned to you." Captain Dunn quickly fills out a weapon authorization form for Cole.

Edited by mbentley

Pivnick glances to Cole and replies, "No, uh...first time for everything I guess," and smiles sheepishly while taking the goggles from Captain Dunn and trying them on for size. At the prospect of finally getting some decent police case-work, the awkwardness of Pivnicks demeanor diminishes a bit.

Pivnick glances at Cole, not seeming to notice how silly he looks wearing his goggles in the Captain's office.

Fancying himself a bit of a tech nerd, Pivnick tends to keeps up on the latest technology. Truth be told, he's not as savvy as he thinks he is, but that doesn't stop him from spending what little spendable income he has on fancy gadgets.

"Do you mind driving? I want to read up a bit on Medusian mythology on the way there."

Pivnick digs out his fancy smartphone out of his pocket and waves it at Cole, to indicate his intended research tool.

"Wait a second. Ahhh man." Pivnick removes his goggles. "The Count? Nightmares? Ah, man. Just driving by that joint gives me the willies." Pivnick does an exaggerated body-shake to punctuate his statement and continues, "Let's go get there early. I'm not a fan of being in that area when it's really late and...uh...well...dark."

Cole watches Pivnick as he does his exaggerated shiver while expressing his apprehension over wanting to go into M-Town, and does his best to stifle a chuckle at the young man's antics and goofy look while he wore the mirrored goggles. He then takes the offered authorization from the Captain. "Thanks Captain."

He then looks back to Pivnick, "C'mon kid. Let's get this on the road. And I always drive...don't forget it."

With that, he moves over to open the door to the Captain's office. "If there's nothing else, Captain...I'd rather get going before the trail gets too cold."

Cole goes to the armory with the signed authorization from the Captain and gets a shotgun. Then the two of them leave the basement and head out to the motor pool to get a police car and are assigned Car 54.

[OOC: Manta give me a Wits roll to do some research on Medusa mythology. Grimace if you want you can give me a Cryptozoology roll to see what you know too.]

Cole inspects the shotgun, making sure it's clean and in smooth working condition. He grabs the shotgun shells, two boxes, and pushes three shells into the shotgun. On the way to the motor pool, Cole thinks on the perp that they're after (Cryptozoology roll of 7 - http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3053158/ ). Once at the motor pool, after getting squad car 54 checked out, he hops into the driver's seat. "Let's go, kid. Daylight's wasting and I don't think you want to be in M-Town after dark."

*Bleep* *Bloop* Click. Click. Click. *Bloop* Click. *Ching* Click. Click. *Bloop* The sound of Pivnick's smartphone gadget echos off the cement walls of the building as they exit the building and enter the motor pool. Punctuated with a few "Hmmmm"s and "interesting"s, Pivnick clicks away, reading up on some Medusa mythology to familiarize himself with their potential new foe.

[Rolling Wits - 3d6+2 - 3,2,5 +2 = 12]

After reading a particularly disturbing entry, Pivnick double-checks his hip pouch (which he must repeatedly remind folks is certainly not a fanny pack!) to make sure he still has his goggles.

Cole can only recall the basics about Medusa legends that they can turn people to stone with their gaze and that decapitation is the best way to kill them. However Pivnick comes up with some more information on them. He learns that some Medusa species have acidic blood, but those are rare. Beyond decapitation, destroying the brain will also kill them. They are super-humanly strong and fast.

During the drive they are radio and told another Police Officer would be meeting them at Nightmares. They are told she'll be assigned to this case with them. Her name is Pansy Kitner.

It only takes a few minutes to go from the Business District and into District 12. From there they make their way into Monster Town. The buildings here generally look run down with darkened windows, but Nightmares stands out. It's two stories tall and takes up a good chunk of a single block. It's walls are painted black and the windows are painted a distinctly blood red color. There are also nightmare-ish images of people being tortured in various and nasty medieval ways along the outside walls.

Standing just down the block is a female Police Officer, who must be Officer Pansy Kitner they were told would be waiting.

Cole pulls the patrol car up to the curb near the female officer and puts it in park. "Wonder what her story is?" he mutters towards Pivnick as he unbuckles and gets out.

Stepping out of the car, Cole looks over at the female. "You Kitner? Name's Rickson...this is Pivnick. What have you been told of this case?"

Pivnick leans his weight on the open car door and taps his eyebrow with his forefinger as if to tip an invisible hat. "Kitner," he says with a nod. "Nice to meet you." He approaches as he puts his cellphone away in hip pouch (not fanny pack!). "Banquet? Heh heh. You can eat here if you want, but I wouldn't trust the food to be to your liking. Unless you like it...bloody rare." No one laughs, so he continues -- changing the subject.

"What do you know about this case?"

Cole looks at Kitner quizzically, raising an eyebrow. "Well, girl, you're gonna be in a for a big surprise. Let's go get both of your feet wet."

With that, Cole starts leading the way towards the door of Nightmares. He really wished, right now, he was in more plain clothes, but there hadn't been time to change. With a case like this, they needed to move quick otherwise trails got cold quick in M-Town. Opening the front door, Cole 'graciously' lets Kitner and Pivnick in first, checks around the street to see if anything jumps out at him as being exceedingly abnormal (as the whole place is generally abnormal) and then follows the other two into the shop.

(General Wit roll to notice anything exceedingly odd = 7 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3055765/ )

"Let's hope not, no telling what the puddles are here."

Pansy goes and trudges into the place, thanking Rickson as he holds the door

Cole doesn't notice anyone strange on the streets, as a matter of fact there is no one on the streets which even in Monster Town is strange. The inside of Nightmares is dark, even at nearly One in the afternoon. Everything has a bit of an eerie red hue to it due to the red painted windows and the little bit of light they let in. There are a few dozen tables spread around the bar, a large stage for performances and a bar running long one wall. Expensive looking chandeliers hang from the ceiling, but even they just contribute to the reddish light given off. The walls are painted with similarly nightmare-ish images as the outside walls.

Only a few tables have anyone at them due to the early time. It's tough to tell if the people at the tables are monsters well disguised as humans or actual humans. Moody goth music plays through hidden speakers. Behind the bar is The Count, he's dressed in a black, high collared cape with red on the inside, a white silk shirt and a gold necklace with a medallion hanging off it. His skin is extremely pale and his black hair is slicked back. He looks up from wiping off the bar as the three cops enter.

Cole looks at the other two. "Kitner, why don't you go with Pivnick and talk to the Count...see if you can find any information of the whereabouts of our suspect. Or if he might know of someone who could tell us. I'm going to poke around with some of the others in here and see what I can find out."

With that, Cole starts to move around the place, checking out the scattering of people in the place. He's going to check each face, seeing if any of them might be some snitches who might be pressed for some info or if any of the faces might be up on the wall of the precinct for something minor that he could use as bait for some information. He'll occasionally glance over at the other two in order to make sure they're not getting into anything of a serious nature with the Count. (Rolling Snitches skill to see if anyone could be a person he could try to get information out of. Roll = 11 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3057743/ )

"Ah, fine, why not?"

Kitner goes and meanders toward the Count

"Does the bar really need wiping or is it just some reflexive thing? It seems people are always wiping it, even if it is deserted. Like now. Uh, I mean, thats not why were here anyway, so forget it I guess"

Cole looks at the other two. "Kitner, why don't you go with Pivnick and talk to the Count...see if you can find any information of the whereabouts of our suspect. Or if he might know of someone who could tell us. I'm going to poke around with some of the others in here and see what I can find out."

With that, Cole starts to move around the place, checking out the scattering of people in the place. He's going to check each face, seeing if any of them might be some snitches who might be pressed for some info or if any of the faces might be up on the wall of the precinct for something minor that he could use as bait for some information. He'll occasionally glance over at the other two in order to make sure they're not getting into anything of a serious nature with the Count. (Rolling Snitches skill to see if anyone could be a person he could try to get information out of. Roll = 11 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3057743/ )

Cole spots a man, named Bryce Harper, that's wanted for trading in mystical drugs.

"Ah, fine, why not?"

Kitner goes and meanders toward the Count

"Does the bar really need wiping or is it just some reflexive thing? It seems people are always wiping it, even if it is deserted. Like now. Uh, I mean, thats not why were here anyway, so forget it I guess"

The Count chuckles a deep, throaty laugh and says, "I like to keep everything polished and looking nice, Officer."

Pansy looks down at the bar, checking to see if its shiny and if she can see the Count's reflection

"Polished and looking nice . . . . yes, that is good. Right. Yes, so we are looking, I mean, unofficially officially looking, with wearing uniforms and all, about the medusa bank robbery, uhh . . . well, so then, do you know anything?"

((Charm roll 4 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3058137/ ))

Pansy is also going to try and recall what she knows about vampires ((Occult roll 20 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3058269/ ))

Edited by Kalzazz

Cole moves in towards Bryce. He knew the type...a bolter, so he was ready for a "twitchy" reception. Moving in to be within arms reach of Bryce, ready to grab hold and block any escape should he try to leave, Cole says in a lower voice so only Bryce or those immediately around him could hear. "Bryce Harper! What brings you to this part of town? Run out of your usual concoctions to make your trips?"

(If Bryce tries to make a bolt, I'll grab hold of his shoulder and block him from getting up while saying "whoa there...I just want to talk." Brawl roll = 18 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3058194/ ... and I got a 6 on the first number which I've been using for the Wild Die if we're using that. If so, the extra dice rolled is a 4 for a total of 22. )

Pansy looks down at the bar, checking to see if its shiny and if she can see the Count's reflection

"Polished and looking nice . . . . yes, that is good. Right. Yes, so we are looking, I mean, unofficially officially looking, with wearing uniforms and all, about the medusa bank robbery, uhh . . . well, so then, do you know anything?"

((Charm roll 4 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3058137/ ))

Pansy is also going to try and recall what she knows about vampires ((Occult roll 20 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3058269/ ))

You can remember there are a few types of Vampires, but The Count is of the main type. They aren't killed by sunlight, but rendered powerless during day time hours. A stake through the heart or decapitation will kill them. Holy symbols can hold them at bay, but only if held by someone of true belief.

The Count smiles and says, "I may know something, but why would such as yourself wish to know."

Cole moves in towards Bryce. He knew the type...a bolter, so he was ready for a "twitchy" reception. Moving in to be within arms reach of Bryce, ready to grab hold and block any escape should he try to leave, Cole says in a lower voice so only Bryce or those immediately around him could hear. "Bryce Harper! What brings you to this part of town? Run out of your usual concoctions to make your trips?"

(If Bryce tries to make a bolt, I'll grab hold of his shoulder and block him from getting up while saying "whoa there...I just want to talk." Brawl roll = 18 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3058194/ ... and I got a 6 on the first number which I've been using for the Wild Die if we're using that. If so, the extra dice rolled is a 4 for a total of 22. )

Bryce throws up his hands and says, "Just sitting here having a drink Officer. Want one?"

Sign in to follow this