D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
zack zenobi

True Invisibility

I understand that Master Disciplines are suppossed to be greater than the Minor and Major ones and that is why teh characters have to pay P-energy to use them. But it seems to me that True Invisibility is a little expensive for what you get. Look, Ninjas already take regular Invisibility as a Major Discipline. It gives them a +4 to stealth. Then they have to take True Invisibility as their Master and it only gives them a +5 to stealth. That is a mere +1 that they have to pay P-energy for? I mean if they have to pay for it, they should be getting a better product. It seems to me that a minimum of a +6 or possibly a +8 is in order. I mean it is called "True" Invisibility!

Thoughts?

Invisibility has a -2 penalty to all Perception and Mind Skills. True Invisibility does not. I also augment this with the benefit found in several other invisibilities in TORG - a major penalty to opponents attempts to hit the character with melee or ranged attacks (effectively Complete Cover +10). This bonus only applies if the character is otherwise unseen and unnoticed. i.e. if he sneaks into a enemy camp, and fires a silenced weapon at a foe, his opponents know he is there and can take shots in the vague direction they think he is, but probably will not hit since they can't see him. If he then charges out in the open and runs one through with his sword, they'll see him and the bonus no longer applies.

Invisibility has a -2 penalty to all Perception and Mind Skills. True Invisibility does not.

That would appear to be the main reason why True Invisibility is better than Invisibility, though I agree with Zack that two P-Points is a pretty big price to pay for that slight improvement over Invisibility so something like GreenDragon's approach could help make it seem more cost effective.

GreenDragon,

Forgive I am not sure I understand you.

I understand that Invisibility gets -2 to Per and Min skills, while True Invisibility does not.

Then you mention a bonus of +10 Defense Modifier which is the same number as 'Complete plus' in the R&E Rulebook (pg. 102). Do you mean to say that the Ninja recieves a +5 to stealthy movement, but gains a +10 DM while moving? Or would he have to be stationaryto get the +10DM? Although the bonus to DM almost seems unnecessary. You state that he only has the DM as long as they don't know he is there. Well why would anyone be trying to shoot at someone that they did not think was there?

This reminds me of the movie "Mystery Men" with Ben Stiller and William H. Macy. There was the character called the Invisible Kid. His superpower was that he was invisible as long as no one was looking at him.

If he is using "True" Invisibility, shouldn't he ridiculously hard to hit even if you know he is in the room? I am thinking of the movie "The Invisible Man" with Kevin Bacon. In it they knew he was in the room but still found it impossible to shoot him as they were not sure exactly where he was.

Thoughts?

Usable while moving or stationary, but only if they don't know exactly where he is. So long as he is sticking to the shadows, or doing hit and fade attacks so quickly no one gets a good view.