D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
skeloric

Some days I worry.

It was tangential at best to "gaming culture" when it was started, but has become more and more tenuous as time has gone on.

++++

My father is a technophobe.

He has only just about embraced VCR technology in a world where DVD is giving way to Blu-Ray.

My father -- a man who works at IBM and has for over 30 years -- FEARS and LOATHES computers with a passion.

My first computer I bought after I moved out of the hours because he would no tolerate one under his roof.

My father just recently (in the last 5 years) had to accept that he could no longer keep his 8-Track player running and had to part with it.

There is still an old "Super 8" movie projector (silent films only) up on a shelf in my parents' laundry room -- it was still being used well into the 80s in our home.

I have an excellent role model if I want to be a technophobe.

And I am beginning to understand him better on the issue as the years go on.

I just would rather not be one, despite it being what feels like an inevitable result.

It was tangential at best to "gaming culture" when it was started, but has become more and more tenuous as time has gone on.

++++

My father is a technophobe.

He has only just about embraced VCR technology in a world where DVD is giving way to Blu-Ray.

My father -- a man who works at IBM and has for over 30 years -- FEARS and LOATHES computers with a passion.

My first computer I bought after I moved out of the hours because he would no tolerate one under his roof.

My father just recently (in the last 5 years) had to accept that he could no longer keep his 8-Track player running and had to part with it.

There is still an old "Super 8" movie projector (silent films only) up on a shelf in my parents' laundry room -- it was still being used well into the 80s in our home.

I have an excellent role model if I want to be a technophobe.

And I am beginning to understand him better on the issue as the years go on.

I just would rather not be one, despite it being what feels like an inevitable result.

While I understand not wanting to depend on technology too much the problem lies in the fact that if you don't keep up with technology these days you are going to be left behind in many ways, expecially in the job market where everyone is using computers.

Though I did do a computer consulting gig in a high school that while they still had a ton of computers their attendance office still had a couple typewriters that were still in use.

The nice women who worked in that office said that she had had students ask her what they were.

Though I did do a computer consulting gig in a high school that while they still had a ton of computers their attendance office still had a couple typewriters that were still in use.

The nice women who worked in that office said that she had had students ask her what they were.

That is the other side of the equation, what are we losing that could still be of use?

Are we becoming so advanced that we have lost the means to easily recover if all of our fancy computer stuff went poof in an EMP strike?

The old bit about building the tools to build other tools to build yet more tools to finally build the tools we needed to build the tools to get the task completed is what is partially on my mind as well -- are we so advanced that a collapse would send us back to bronze age or worse just because we need to go back that far just to be able to start the progression of tool building needed to restore society?

I'm a natural born worrier.

That is the other side of the equation, what are we losing that could still be of use?

Are we becoming so advanced that we have lost the means to easily recover if all of our fancy computer stuff went poof in an EMP strike?

The old bit about building the tools to build other tools to build yet more tools to finally build the tools we needed to build the tools to get the task completed is what is partially on my mind as well -- are we so advanced that a collapse would send us back to bronze age or worse just because we need to go back that far just to be able to start the progression of tool building needed to restore society?

I sense a RPG somewhere in all of this...