D6 Online 3.0

You can hear sound in space in the SW galaxy...

Actually, you only hear the sound in the fighters. The reason that a group of us came up with (smart people, not just geeks), is electromagnetic interference from engines. Fighters and space transports have open comm systems so the pilots only need to talk and listen, no comm stations. So, when fighters fly by or whe nthe ship is flying, you get the sound over the speakers.

With regards to the bridge scene in Empire, when the Falcon flew by the Star Destroyer bridge, the sound was over the bridge loudspeakers. It was close enough to trip them and give the engine sound.

Interesting idea, but I think I like the idea of just "You can hear sound in space in the SW galaxy". It explains the laser blast sounds, the screaming Artoo when he's hit, the sounds of asteroids impacting on each other, the sounds of TIE fighters hitting asteroids and exploding and so on. Simply...you can hear sound in space in Star Wars.

I imagine you can go either way with the physical laws of the SW universe (sci-fi or fantasy), the tipping point for me is embracing SW as an environment that supports legendary, epic, mythic adventures. I just figure a short hand explanation of what occurs in the movies follows from on from the fact that it's ancient history, or an imaginary time; in a different galaxy that could be anywhere outside of what we can imagine right now. It's fun for me to read about other people's interpretations of what's behind what we see in those movies. :)

Each Star Wars fan has his own limitations, tolerances and preferences to how we suspend disbelief regarding each aspect of Star Wars, and thus have our own explanations for some things (and don't bother for others). This is totally in the spirit of this thread.

For me, the definition of space is the absense of atmosphere, and in my Star Wars universe the laws of physics are such that the physical properties of sound waves prevent their travel without a medium to travel through (like our universe), so sound in space is impossible. Like the opening crawl not existing in-universe (present only for the benefit of the out-of-universe audience), the exact sounds sounds mvie viewers here are for the the benefit of the audience and does not occur as-is in-universe. I like flagwaver's idea that there may be some interference of ships flying by each others, but I imagine that in-universe it still doesn't quite sound like it does to us.

But there are many in-universe aspects of Star Wars I admit I just accept because... <insert here="" technobabble="" sci-fi="">(insert sci-fi technobabble here). :cool:</insert>

My Star Wars Universe (Or the Kilbiverse as I have come to call it...) is comprised mainly of the original trilogy and a handful of novels (Up to Specter of the past, Vision of the future...) with a couple of them being ignored or reworked to fit my needs. I never really dealt with MidiChorlians, but I did bring up that Jedi blood have different enzymes and genome structures, allowing them access the force. I never went into any sort of detail and never will, but I have used engineered viruses against force sensitives. As to the prequels, I really don't deal with them and when I have it was a vague comment (Your uncle fought in the clone wars, years ago...) My clone wars happened closer to 25-30 years before and Anakin's fall the Dark Side (at least in my mind...) played more into the fact that Palpatine convinced him of a possible relationship between Obi-Wan and Padme and that the Jedi had covered the fact up for Obi-Wan. My biggest problem with the prequels comes from the fact that despite the fact that he is trying to save his wife from death, he agrees to kill every man, woman and child in the temple. These are people that Anakin grew up with, studied and trained with, were friends with and in the span of 'Swear alligance to me and I can save your wife, but ya gotsta kill every mother-fracker in the temple...' his response isn't to say 'No', it isn't even to stop and consider the mere idea, it's to say 'Okay...' and then run off with a band of stormtroopers to execute them.

The comics, games, some of the tie-in stuff, mmo and EU things that are done are largely ignored or cherry-picked by me for use in the game. I never used the vong and see little reason to do so...

I think that covers the basics...I do use some crossover stuff, but I've also made a lot of original stuff too...

Keith!