D6 Online 3.0
Grimace

Silently waiting?

I've noticed that there has been quite a few people visiting, but really no one discussion a whole lot of anything. I know the TORGers have been a little chatty, but other than the roleplaying forum, it's been fairly quiet on the rest of the board.

Why is that?

For all of you D6ers out there, why is it that you would visit here, browse the boards, and not post anything? Do you simply have no questions or ideas to post? Is there nothing of interest being made right now, or are you not gaming with D6 right now...is that why people are so quiet?

Or are people just waiting for the next thing to come out for OpenD6?

Are people spreading the word of OpenD6 to others?

I know we've had a couple new people join up of late, and I welcome them all here! It's great to see more people showing up with interest in D6 (or TORG, if that is their primary interest). But what about the old timers on this board (relatively speaking). Have a lot of people just kind of lost enthusiasm for OpenD6, or are you just waiting for the new thing, or is there just nothing of interest going on right at this moment?

I'm just curious about the visits here by a multitude of people, but not a lot of new posts are being generated, so I wondered why. I'm interested to hear what is keeping people from posting, either about upcoming product, existing product, their own designs, or just general musings or gripes about the game.

Hopefully it is just a lull before a storm for here but for me it is nothing more than nothing new/useful to report and life making things happen other than Toreishi & D6 mixing like Reece's Peanut Butter Cups.

Work and school has been keeping me slammed so I haven't had much time to work on anything. We still have some stuff in the works, just not had time to flesh them out enough to share. Hopefully soon though!

For me, D6 is one of my "to learn" systems. I have the books, and I have had some experience with WEG Star Wars, but other than flipping through a couple of the books I haven't had much of a chance to dig into them yet. These days I'm finding less and less time to dedicate to gaming. For this reason, I have yet to really engage in discussion, but dang, I really want to get some D6 going in the future. I gave my oldest son and my nephew shiny new hardcovers of D6 Space for Christmas, so hopefully we'll get something going and I can start participating in discussion.

Basically school. I keep trying to come and post here, but not been having to much luck. Especially as all the things I need to post (such as in Lee's game) are things which require thought, as opposed to a quick 'school is bad' post like this one

Actually, mostly pressed for time. I could either post more often on these forums in general, or continue working on running my Earthdawn campaign, writing my novel, and writing my setting for D6. Personally the latter items are of far greater importance to me, so while I check daily outside of the Pbp I am involved in the subject has to be really interesting for me to consider participating. Most of the discussion seem to revolve around tweaked rule sets which quite frankly I don't really care about. D6 is a great system particularly because it is a toolbox/toolkit rule set and easily modified to a particular GM's needs, however this is not conducive to having meaningful conversations about the RAW since who actually uses the RAW, and what is it really.

I usually like to discuss rule variations but there havn't been many recent threads in which I've had something to contribute. Also, I'm excitedly waiting for more information on Destiny6 but aside from me and the creator (JP Quinn), no one is joining in on the discussion and JP has quieted down himself.

Well, some of the visitors are just web spiders for search engines.

As for me. My department is so far behind on our work load and I have been working tons of OT all year. I have typically been working five 12-hour days a week. This week I am working Saturday, and I'm going to total about 78-80 hours for this week!

hi bye

Although I'm working on things, I tend not to say much until it's ready to drop. It's not about being secretive, but not wanting to disappoint with missed deadlines.

New folks are being exposed to OpenD6 via Mini Six. I know that for sure. We get emails daily and find people all over the world through google alerts and our server log who are discussing it (and playing it!) On average we attract about 50 unique IP addresses each day (not counting known web spiders).

Of those, only a fraction show interest beyond initial curiosity (I assume), and an average of 40 unique IP addresses download the PDF each day.) So yes, at least some gamers are being exposed to OpenD6 in at least that form.

The thing that surprised me is the number of downloads and sales to non-English speaking countries. Spain, France, Germany, Sweden, and Italy have all had strong showings, accounting for a combined total of 20% of our market.

There are several French boards which seem to refer to OpenD6 (and Mini Six) regularly, an example that showed up in today's log being http://reves.ezael.net/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=1558&p=14008

I know that the question wasn't about Mini Six in particular, I'm just saying that in answer to your question, yes I know of at least some spread of OpenD6. (Though no, I don't regularly actively promote it because I'm just not wired that way. The only way I can help it spread is to tinker and write. Harmyn and I have been lucky because a segment of gamers have enjoyed what we've done.)

As for future releases, I've admitted that we're working on super powers for Mini Six, but it's not ready yet. I can't promise when it will be, but we want to have it ready as soon as we can.

This long (for me) reply aside, I'm a naturally quiet person.

I had to throw together a remake of the game system I am designing. I had some play-testing and found that the system was a little broken. I'll be posting more soon, though.

As for others, it is also spring break/midterms for most schools.

I have 2 RPG groups going in Earthdawn, where I have to re-read everything because it has been so long. Also I am in a new job and in the middle of moving. So I do not have much time, it isn't even enough to read long posts.

For me, most of my silence is just a very strong sense of ennui resulting from a feeling of futility of waiting for TORG to get published in German and then become popular enough to finally warrant a translation to English -- all so I can finally get back to feeling that TORG is NOT a dead system.

I'm getting the impression that some people may not have anything new to discuss, so are waiting for new threads or existing threads to have something new to reply to. So I started a new topic in the Star Wars Forum that seems to be popular on other boards. Check it out.

I'm inbetween jobs so I'm doing the stay at home dad thing which takes up a lot of time. I look forward to my daughters nap time so I can get some time to my self to surf the net for work, get on the excersice bike, write for my one of the SW D6 campaigns I have going or write/produce my weekly comedy radio show etc. Basically not a lot of time to cruz the board here. Funny thing is when I had a job I was able to spend time on here almost every day. BTW that's not why I'm out of a job now :-)

For me it's a mix of reasons. I am pretty new to this forum and am still getting used to how the interface works. Also, I generally prefer to read for a while to get a sense of posts and tone before doing much posting myself. Personally, I am most interested in D6 for Star Wars, so many of the other D6 related posts are less likely to trigger my interest and hence a response. Finally, it's a bit of a Catch-22; lf you don't have a lot of traffic, then you don't get a lot of traffic.

Well, I've got a couple of project going on at the moment. First is an original fantasy RPG based on the original D&D. The second project is a remake of SWRPG that seems a little more "real" when looking at the movies. Of one things I am doing is adapting the Star Wars Saga Edition talent system into a D6 format. I'm also splitting up some skills and changing a couple of things around. Such as, ranged weapon skills are being separated into pistols and rifles (two different forms of aiming), melee parry and melee combat, as well as brawling parry and brawling, are being combined into melee weapons and unarmed combat and being moved to Strength. There are some others, but I'm