D6 Online 3.0

I would love to run a Fire Emblem/Warsong/Shining Force etc influenced Open D6 Minis campaign online (or if people preferred could do Space instead of Fantasy)

The only problem I'm seeing so far is how to handle the minis online part. Does anyone have any ideas on this? I've experimented using Google Docs spreadsheet but not had much success

I'd play in a playbypost minis game.

Whatever you find easiest to manipulate would work best for something like this. I actually don't think maptools would be best. There is an application called http://cyberboard.brainiac.com/screensh.html which saves "turns" better, but again, if you have a simple spread sheet that can pull off the same thing. so be it. I recommend you keep it very simple, small map for a beta test.

And YES, I'm game to play.

Now if you were doing real-time online, then yes (Lee :)) I'd recommend Maptools, or OpenRPG.

Now you got me tempted to do a PbP tekumel battle against Lee... hrrmmmm....

Edited by Lubidius

Alright, have another player, so were good! New player prefers Space over Fantasy, and the D6 Minis ruleset prefers Space over Fantasy, so unless you have strong preferences Lubidius I'd say this will be a Space game

Though I love magic and orks, so it will at least in part be Space Fantasy, yes, magic will exist and such

Any preferences on what you would like to see for the setting and campaign?

No specific prefs. I'll just throw out, Battlestar Gallactica (redux), Babylon 5, anything. I'm up for just about anything. And of course Star Wars would be fine as well. Or Star Trek? Hrrm, that could be somewhat interesting.

If the other player has a pref, go with what they wish.

Hi, other prospective player here. Yeah, space with fantasy elements is good, I don't have a strong preference about the specifics though I'm guessing will end up having at least some element of Star Wars flavor.

Current thinking of playing an anime-flavored fighter type, possibly with some mystical ability if I can spare the points, but in any case not an out and out mage.

A Mecha/Magic combo would actually be rather interesting. Something where psychic meld is used to control the mecha, with additional capabilities as well. Heck even a traditional fantasy meets anime mecha mix could be rather interesting. I'll take my elf mecha against your orc mecha any day of the week.

Two words... Awe and Some... coolness... Checking out their Quick play free rules now from DriveThruRPG.

Edited by Lubidius

First go around, keep it simple. The 'magic' is what allows the pilots to fly these large mecha with such skill; and what powers the mecha indefinitely. Think magical protoculture (robotech). Otherwise it represents particular 'types' of weapons or defenses for either side. It could also represent larger scale area effects that could be represented by circles around a squadron, etc. Long story short. I wouldn't think for this quick and dirty first go at something, we'd expect much from you in regards to the magic side of things.

Lets help you stat up each side for now, then we'll have a go at the rules without magic added in.

Edited by Lubidius

I feel pretty comfortable with the magic actually. Magic is easy, just take normal D6 magic and convert it to D6 Minis for the effects (A range 10 fireball doing 5d simply becomes a range 5 in fireball doing 1d+5 etc), Id just have the player roll out the casting difficulty using the normal Xd6 instead of converting that part

The mechs are what I'd have to figure out

The first adventure I have planned is that there will be a training battle between the two players in a neutral arena sort of place (sorta think Ender's Game or X-Men Danger Room) which will allow familiarizing with system and seeing if things actually work, and it does make sense that Quest Giving Entity would want to see its heroes in action in a controlled environment before releasing them into the Wild

Complete side-note, but looking over the free Quick Play Rules for cthulutech (available on drive thru rpg), it's rule system lines up extremely well with open d6. In fact it's nearly identical. I may pick up the core rules as pdf and do some one off adventures with local folks. It seems like a nice setting. Ok, back on topic. What you mention as far as arena training sounds like a plan. I'm up for anything. I'm a cheap d6 date.

Edited by Lubidius

Alright then, we have a basic idea for a setting. It involves magic, rayguns, mechs, and cthulhu apparently. Since summoning Greath C'thulhu to eat the entire world is Not Good, the party presumably is involved in Great C'thulhu not eating the galaxy

Since I think Russ's character was in school, and the Danger Room idea met with approval, clearly it is something like X-Men then, with small unit tactics. Rayguns bring to mind something like Steampunk, and C'thulhu always goes well with Steampunk also, as do mechs I am sure, so thus, it is Steampunk Space with Cthulhu, and while it has nothing to do with Cthulhu, Chthonic is still a seriously cool word, and is sorta related, so thus, the Royal Chthonic Society, which among other things proerly suppresses the Bad Things via Superior Tactics and Firepower.

So this is our basic premise for the game, sound good?

Anyway, make a D6 Space character and also buy 750pts worth of unit from D6 Minis and we'll be on our way!

No mechs for now, they just reupholstered the danger room or something

More information. There exists the Happy Royal Commonwealth which is ruled by the benevolent King Robert the 12th, and is composed of a variety of nations and planets and such which are more or less generally friends and more or less follow the King.

Cloning exists and is used in parts of the Commonwealth, allowing easy replacement of lost troops and such (and partly explaining squads of identical soldiers), though not everywhere (and uses giant vats in Frankenstein-esque science labs)

Okay, got leader and squad worked out. In a nutshell, as discussed with Kal, my idea is that they're from a society which has and uses cloning technology. This has a number of beneficial effects, including making it no longer an approximation to give all squad members identical stats :-)