D6 Online 3.0
Astral Empires

A Few Design/OGL Questions

The people here in this forum have already been immensely helpful to me in finishing the design work on the Astral Empires OpenD6 RPG, and I wanted to start by saying "thank you" to all of you (especially to Lee Torres and Prime Evil). I am extremely appreciative of this forum. :)

Anyway, I had a couple of questions that came up as I was working on Astral Empires "stuff" tonight and was wondering if some of you kind folks could help me on a few more things.

#1. I'm working out a system I'm calling "Retro6" for the first Astral Empires sourcebook ("Great Galactic Wars") which basically rolls things back to the Star Wars RPG era of the D6 system. Obviously I can't use any of the Lucasfilm IP, but what about game mechanics of that era? Are they covered by the OGL?

#2. Could I re-write some of the rules and game advice elements from those classic D6 books into my own words and use them in my sourcebooks? My universe does not work exactly like that of Star Wars, so there would be major differences, but as I try to capture the basic "feel" of that era of D6 gaming I'm wondering what WEG material falls under the OGL, or if it is just restricted to the D6 Space, Adventure, Fantasy and related line products?

#3. What about some of the add-on systems like the mass combat "Star Wars Miniatures Battles" and the starfighter game? Could generic/repurposed versions of those games be created?

The reason I ask is I'm trying to "recreate" sort of that classic era in D6 gaming built around a new but expansive sci-fi universe, but I want to make sure I'm doing things "by the book" (in this case OGL) legally and ethically.

Please be patient with me as I'm learning a lot of this stuff on the go.

Thanks!

Kevin

astralempiresgame.blogspot.com

theastralempires.blogspot.com/

I'm working out a system I'm calling "Retro6" for the first Astral Empires sourcebook ("Great Galactic Wars") which basically rolls things back to the Star Wars RPG era of the D6 system.

Cool.

#1. Yes, Star Wars is the basis for the D6 System, and as long as you abide by the rules of the OGL document regarding how OpenD6 is referenced and including the document in your publications, then all non-Lucasfilm-IP game mechanics are free to use.

#2. Yes, see above. It was determined a decade ago that all raw game mechanics WEG text was not the property of Lucasfilm. Game system text ownership was retained by WEG, and now WEG's D6 system is now OGL and know as OpenD6. You can't have a skill called "Droid" Programming. I would follow Purgatory D6's lead in the re-naming of skills or come up with your own non-Star-Wars names.

#3. Not sure off the top of my head about those auxiliary game systems. I beleive there are other threads on this forum that address this and really all of your questions.

Good luck with your game and keep us posted!

Star Warriors does not utilize the D6 System so would obviously not be covered.

Miniatures Battles is somewhat borderline, as it is D6 compatible. However, it is a tabletop wargame, not an RPG, and regardless of compatibility it is quite distinct from the D6 system. I would suspect that it is not covered.

At the link below, ptingler did for Miniatures Battle what I did for D6 Legend - here's the rules, re-themed for the more generic D6 Space...

http://www.wegfansite.com/forum/showthread.php?2573-OpenD6-Space-Miniatures-Now-Available

Star Warriors hasn't been adapted yet, but if anyone wanted to give it the ptingler treatment and run it by Eric Gibson, it could happen!

Edited by Lee Torres

Thanks for the responses. The conversion of the miniatures game is exactly what I was looking for. Something that connects with the RPG but allows for additional gaming elements to be included. I'd like to also do a starfighter game extension, but wasn't sure about "Star Warriors", so thanks for the clarification. I suppose I could ask Eric if it'd be okay to do a generic version and make it available for OpenD6. Perhaps I'll approach him about it once I get a couple of these current projects published.

Thanks again! :)

At the link below, ptingler did for Miniatures Battle what I did for D6 Legend - here's the rules, re-themed for the more generic D6 Space...

http://www.wegfansite.com/forum/showthread.php?2573-OpenD6-Space-Miniatures-Now-Available

Star Warriors hasn't been adapted yet, but if anyone wanted to give it the ptingler treatment and run it by Eric Gibson, it could happen!

Interesting...the idea that Eric might be willing to release parts of the classic Star Wars ruleset under the OGL minus the Lucasfilm IP hadn't occurred to me. It certainly opens up some possibilities - there's some awesome material there waiting to be adapted for third-party use. Maybe it would be worth kicking off a project to strip some the Lucasfilm IP out of some of the books and submit them to Eric for consideration as generic space opera material?

Oh, cool. I was never really into the miniatures, but I did try Miniatures Battles on several occasions with cutout tokens, and had a blast. Because it's D6 compatible it's very easy to plug in units from your campaign and get a battle going. I'm glad to hear it's under OpenD6.

Wester

Oh, cool. I was never really into the miniatures, but I did try Miniatures Battles on several occasions with cutout tokens, and had a blast. Because it's D6 compatible it's very easy to plug in units from your campaign and get a battle going. I'm glad to hear it's under OpenD6.

I'm getting close to finishing an Astral Empires version of the Miniatures Battles rules. It will work with either minis or the counters that will come with it and will be focused on skirmish battles between the Gladitorial Axis and the Unified Fleet Xenolegions, but we plan to also do some army books that will introduce other factions for players to use. As I said, each book will come with counters in the back you can use along with recommendations for minis makers who produce products that would work well with it. Should be a lot of fun! (At least, I'm having fun adapting the material into an Astral Empires book). And it's really cool to be able to "port" your PCs into the game as well. :)

Kevin

astralempiresgame.blogspot.com