D6 Online 3.0
Astral Empires

Astral Empires and Lightspeed Open D6 Editions

Hey there!

I'll be finishing up the final editorial touches and graphics work this weekend, depending in part on what I hear back from a couple of freelance artists I'm waiting on, but I'm excited to say that the Open D6 Edition of Astral Empires is complete! The basic set will include three .PDF books consisting of the Core Rules, a Galaxy Master's (GM) Guide, and a Technology book totaling about 420-450 pages along with a two-page overview of how the game works (adapted from an old WEG pamphlet). These are all based on the D6 Space rules along with additional material added in to describe the background of the setting, add numerous unique character and species templates, and other little touches designed to tie the "feel" of the game back to the old Star Wars RPG of yesteryear. Then, the hope is to soon after publish the first sourcebook (The Great Galactic Wars-10,000 AD) and a sourcebook for the Lightspeed RPG (which formerly used the Fuzion rules). You can check out the covers here:

http://astralempiresgame.blogspot.com/2011/02/astral-empires-open-d6-edition-complete.html

Besides the background (Astral Empires) which shares the universe of our wargame products (http://www.rpgnow.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=astral+empires&x=0&y=0&quicksearch=1&search_filter=&filters=&search_free=&search_in_description=1&search_in_author=1&search_in_artist=1) I think gamers will like to see the Lightspeed RPG finally coming to D6.

Anyway, I was excited so I wanted to share with you folks here in this forum! :)

Kevin

Creator of Astral Empires

Port Nova Media

This sounds awesome!

The Astral Empires setting is interesting. But how well will the RPG integrate with the existing wargame products? For example, will it be possible for characters to influence the outcome of massive fleet engagements simulated with the Battleshift rules?

I'm particularly excited about the prospect of seeing a D6 adaptation of the Christian Conkle's Lightspeed Universe - I've always admired the generic space opera setting that he created, but was never that keen on the Fuzion game system.

I like the cover art that you've put together; it has a nice 'old school' feel. Personally, it reminds me of the artwork of Gene Day and Jeff Dee for the original Space Opera game from FGU. (Incidentally, it would be fantastic to see some new black & white illustrations from Jeff Dee in future releases, but I'm not sure that this would be a realistic possibility given his freelance rates these days). It also reminds me a bit of Battlelords of the 23rd Century.

Because the game uses the D6 system and seems to have an 'old school' feel, I recommend that submitting a review copy to James Maliszewski over at Grognardia - he's got a strong interest in space opera settings and might give the game some positive buzz amongst the 'old school' crowd.

You mention that you have based the game system on the D6 Space rules. Have you made any significant changes to the basic rules or are you using them more or less as written? Personally, I wonder if the D6 Space rules might be a bit too heavy if you are aiming to capture the feel of the old D6 Star Wars RPG. Although the Star Wars RPG had some flaws, it was a slightly lighter system than the current incanation of D6 Space.

Finally, I'd like to ask you a slightly selfish question. I am working on a homebrew D6 Space setting and was wondering if this new product line will add any new Open Game Content that I can cannibalize for my own purposes? I've already adapted a heap of stuff from other OGL sources (including d20 Future, the Mongoose Traveller SRD, et al) but it sounds like this work is much closer to what I am looking for...

Hey Prime Evil,

Thank you for the information you shared. I would not have thought of submitting it to the guy at Grognardia, but that is a fantastic idea. We're definitely going for an "old school" feel, trying to get back to the heyday of Star Wars D6, Star Frontiers, etc. At one time a huge number of gamers played using the D6 rules for sci-fi and, while I know the lack of a major media property like Star Wars limits the exposure to casual players I'm hoping that trying to get back to something similar (system/setting) might recapture some gamers. At the very least, it will be a cool attempt at a classic space opera game with some interesting additions from other corners of science fiction.

To answer your question, I'm using D6 Space but with the clocked turned back to the Star Wars system in some ways (mostly 2nd Edition, although I know some people prefer 1st). While obviously steering clear of any IP that could create problems I'm going for what I'm calling "familiar but fresh". :) I've even thought of calling it the "Retro D6" version, since there are some changes from baseline D6 Space, but I'm also trying to make certain it can be played easily by those who use D6 Space. The core rulebooks (actually a 3-in-1 bundle) are drawn mostly from D6 Space, but the first sourcebook will allow for a few tweaks that will make it feel more 2nd Edition SW RPG.

I'll tell you what.... If it would be of help to you, send me your email address and I will send you a free copy of what we've created. You can then share some feedback and see if it will support what you're wanting to do. If it does, I am fine with you using any additions/subtractions we've made. How does that sound? :)

Kevin

PS. See here for the "Retro D6" cover workup of the third sourcebook: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-3z0BI8XUgUI/TVwzMiBNG4I/AAAAAAAAAY4/l-AnlJrvhto/s400/AE+07000+DRIFTERS+AND+DERELICTS_STARSHIP+CRAWL+GAME.png

Oh, and yes we are linking the RPG level of play with the tactical starship combat level of play. But that interface won't be published with the initial books. It will be more focused on a single ship level of granularity, unless PCs are in a position to influence larger fleet battles. We also have a strategic and 4x level of play within the Astral Empires universe being created. But all do relate to the RPG if players so choose. :)

One more quick note... I actually think that Lightspeed will be our most popular initial offering as I've read for years people saying "Man I wish this system was D6" at places like RPGnet. It's such a fun game setting drawing on, well, pretty much every piece of cinematic sci-fi out there, and it perfectly integrates into the Astral Empires universe (which kind of does the same thing but in a less obvious fashion). It is going to be structured, most likely, along the lines of the Retro D6 with more of the SW RPG feel because, well, it fits. :)

Looks like it will be a fun game man! It also sounds cool that the players will be able to influence the fate of major ship engagements is definitely right at home in cinematic sci fi. Sounds you like you are doing a great job over there. I so cannot wait to see your game.

Astral Empires sounds great, and I am really looking forward to that and Lightspeed D6!

Thanks for the updates.

Edited by Whill

HI all,

I just wanted to drop in and give another quick update...

We should have Lightspeed d6 up fairly shortly. Lightspeed: Alien Contact (a book on creating aliens with just over 50 sample aliens) is in final layout using classic rules. The d6 version will follow in hopefully not too long over that...:)

William

Port Nova Media/ComStar

I just uploaded the files for publishing Astral Empires: The Roleplaying Game. Three books make up the game, all built upon the OpenD6 rules with some tweaks here and there to fit the Astral Empires universe. The first book is the Core Rules composed of all the character creation material and basic aspects of the game, the second is a GM's guide designed for use both with Astral Empires and usable with other sci-fi games, and lastly is a technology guide called "Interstellar Arsenal" with the equipment, starship design rules, etc. We tried to keep this core set of products close to the baseline OpenD6 rules with as minimal changes as necessary with the idea of introducing changes/alterations in the sourcebooks (for example the Astral Empires: Great Galactic Wars sourcebook will introduce the Retro6 system that returns things back to the old SW RPG era and should allow those older out-of-print products to be backwards compatible). Our Lightspeed D6 sourcebook will also use the Retro6 rules along with a couple of other tweaks to better capture the feel of the setting.

Anyway, I was just excited to have completed the manuscripts (the Core rules are 260 pages, the GM guide is 99 pages, and the technology book is 94 pages) and thought I'd share. Look for it soon from RPGNow.com, Drivethroughrpg.com, e23, etc. :)

Thanks!

Kevin :)

astralempiresgame.blogspot.com

Fantastic! It'll be great to see new material out for the OpenD6 system. People will get to see that there is still opportunity to get/make and have fun with D6 games. Great news!

Fantastic! It'll be great to see new material out for the OpenD6 system. People will get to see that there is still opportunity to get/make and have fun with D6 games. Great news!

And don't forget that a lot of people know the D6 System only through the old Star Wars RPG - a game that brings back that 'feel' might encourage some of them to get involved in the community again!

We should have Lightspeed d6 up fairly shortly. Lightspeed: Alien Contact (a book on creating aliens with just over 50 sample aliens) is in final layout using classic rules. The d6 version will follow in hopefully not too long over that...:)

I just uploaded the files for publishing Astral Empires: The Roleplaying Game. Three books make up the game, all built upon the OpenD6 rules with some tweaks here and there to fit the Astral Empires universe. The first book is the Core Rules composed of all the character creation material and basic aspects of the game, the second is a GM's guide designed for use both with Astral Empires and usable with other sci-fi games, and lastly is a technology guide called "Interstellar Arsenal" with the equipment, starship design rules, etc. We tried to keep this core set of products close to the baseline OpenD6 rules with as minimal changes as necessary with the idea of introducing changes/alterations in the sourcebooks (for example the Astral Empires: Great Galactic Wars sourcebook will introduce the Retro6 system that returns things back to the old SW RPG era and should allow those older out-of-print products to be backwards compatible). Our Lightspeed D6 sourcebook will also use the Retro6 rules along with a couple of other tweaks to better capture the feel of the setting.

Anyway, I was just excited to have completed the manuscripts (the Core rules are 260 pages, the GM guide is 99 pages, and the technology book is 94 pages) and thought I'd share. Look for it soon from RPGNow.com, Drivethroughrpg.com, e23, etc. :)

Awesome!!!

It took some time due to the aftermath of the tsunami (my other main project is in disaster readiness/preparedness) but it looks like the Astral Empires D6 RPG is just about ready for sale at the main RPG download sites. There are three books in total, the Core Rules, the Galaxy Master's Guide and the Technology Guide. The core rulebook should be available by tomorrow (so no link yet). I believe there is/will be a discount for buying them bundled. Following shortly (probably beginning of June) will be two of the settings sourcebooks including the one for Lightspeed. There is also a ship book for the Venture-T transport with D6 stats that should be coming out really soon as well. You will notice that the core rules try to keep everything very close to D6 Space but when the 10,000 AD era sourcebook comes out it will have rules for replicating the "feel" of the earlier SWRPG 1st and 2nd Edition games of the 80s and 90s.

Just thought I'd share!

Kevin

Astral Empires

Edited by Astral Empires

It took some time due to the aftermath of the tsunami (my other main project is in disaster readiness/preparedness) but it looks like the Astral Empires D6 RPG is just about ready for sale at the main RPG download sites. There are three books in total, the Core Rules, the Galaxy Master's Guide and the Technology Guide. The core rulebook should be available by tomorrow (so no link yet). I believe there is/will be a discount for buying them bundled. Following shortly (probably beginning of June) will be two of the settings sourcebooks including the one for Lightspeed. There is also a ship book for the Venture-T transport with D6 stats that should be coming out really soon as well. You will notice that the core rules try to keep everything very close to D6 Space but when the 10,000 AD era sourcebook comes out it will have rules for replicating the "feel" of the earlier SWRPG 1st and 2nd Edition games of the 80s and 90s.

Just thought I'd share!

Kevin

Astral Empires

To make full use of the Lightspeed sourcebook as published, would I also have to also buy your Astral Empires core rules book? Or would D6 Space be good enough to use with Open D6 Lightspeed? I'm not saying I won't buy Astral Empires either way (it sounds very cool), but I just wanted clarification. I see the GM's Guide is advertised as general enough to be useful for other space games.

To make full use of the Lightspeed sourcebook as published, would I also have to also buy your Astral Empires core rules book? Or would D6 Space be good enough to use with Open D6 Lightspeed? I'm not saying I won't buy Astral Empires either way (it sounds very cool), but I just wanted clarification. I see the GM's Guide is advertised as general enough to be useful for other space games.

To be completely honest it was a design goal to keep the core Astral Empires rules very close to D6 Space so that people would have the option to buy just the individual sourcebooks. The idea being that each book will cover a specific timeframe of the Astral Empires universe (02100 AD, 02200 AD, etc. up to 50,000 AD) and replicate the different feels of various types/sub-genres of popular and obscure science fiction. Many elements of the first three products (Core Rules, GM book, Technology Guide) are drawn right out of D6 Space with something of an Astral Empires universe "overlay".

That said, we'd of course love to have you pick up any and all books but although there are some background-universe specific components in each product, you should be able to use the various upcoming sourcebooks with D6 Space (although it won't work as well as with the official rules). Any sourcebook which alters basic OpenD6 rules (such as the Retro6 rules in the 10,000 AD sourcebook) will include all applicable rules in that specific product.

We're also planning to release print versions as well, and I'll post about that when it's up and running. :)

Thanks!

Kevin :)

Edited by Astral Empires

Thanks for the clarification. I'm really looking forward to these products.

We're also planning to release print versions as well, and I'll post about that when it's up and running.

Cool!

I think gamers will like to see the Lightspeed RPG finally coming to D6.

I actually think that Lightspeed will be our most popular initial offering as I've read for years people saying "Man I wish this system was D6" at places like RPGnet. It's such a fun game setting drawing on, well, pretty much every piece of cinematic sci-fi out there, and it perfectly integrates into the Astral Empires universe (which kind of does the same thing but in a less obvious fashion). It is going to be structured, most likely, along the lines of the Retro D6 with more of the SW RPG feel because, well, it fits. :)

We should have Lightspeed D6 up fairly shortly. Lightspeed: Alien Contact (a book on creating aliens with just over 50 sample aliens) is in final layout using classic rules. The d6 version will follow in hopefully not too long over that...:)

Hello. I've looked for it and I can't find that Lightspeed D6 ever came out. Did it? If so, where can I get it? If not, has it been cancelled? Is there an update? It's been four years, so I'm a little curious. Thank you.