D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Seofon_Plantagenet

Suggestions on Building Templates

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to quickly build custom character templates? I've started to convert one of my game ideas to Open d6 but am struggling to create a new template. Should I be using the number of dice from the derived character creation rules? I think it consists of some 79 dice where you've got 18 dice to spread between the primary stats and so forth.

Many thanks in advance

Seofon Plantangenet

www.grinningraptor.com

Once you have the "feel" for D6 it's very easy to create templates and characters on the fly.

One thing to keep in mind when designing templates is that you really only have to worry about the primary attributes. Players will typically chose their own skills, so on the template I only list the obvious skills that a given character type might use more often. I don't force players to use those skills, however -- they can pick their own within reason at character creation.

Beyond the core attributes the most important aspect of template design, in my mind, is the description. You want to come up with something that really imparts the feel of what that template is supposed to be. I always like to have some unique equipment choices, too, beyond the weapons and stuff, that gives a real flavor to the template. A great example of this from SW 1st Ed. was the pirate template: among his equipment was "lots of flashy rings and things."

Edited by Wester

My only suggestion is: Ask why you're building a template for a particular job/class/type of character and how much does it overlap with other templates? I believe its best to reduce comploexity by using a base template and going from there to provide minor customization from a player's imagination.

IE - What's the difference in basic differences between a Bounty Hunter and Assassin, in raw attributes? Very little. When we get into skills, probably more so, especially if specialization becomes involved - so it then becomes a mattaer of how detailed you want templates to be. This is difficult since templates are typically meant to streamline the creation system within d6 and make the game easier to play from scratch, so the template should be kept basic (to re-iterate Wester's comments).

- J.