D6 Online 3.0
JPQuinn

[Press] Destiny6 Delays

To whom it may concern,

As many of you have noticed, the initial release date for the Destiny6 Core Rulebook has come and gone. We were hoping that everyone would have a hardcover copy for the holiday season. But, alas, as the publishing world often goes, a few bumps in the road has delayed the arrival at our destination.

We are currently waiting on a few more pieces of artwork and a few final content revisions before we are set to launch. We feel that this waiting period will be better for the book in the long run, giving everyone a polished gem instead of raw material.

We would like to thank everyone in the d6 community for their concern and well-wishes, and we would like to reassure everyone that we can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Instead of giving a revised release date, we will say that Destiny6 (with worldwide print distribution) will be available during the 1st quarter of 2011.

While I was really hoping to get my hands on the PDF so I could start digesting the magic system provided, I guess I'll have to create my own for the moment. Totally understandable on the delays because you want to have a superior product.

Hi there! I am really looking forward for this product. I kinda jumped in the d6 wagon a bit too late to help with kickstarter...

I will be in line to download this product from drivethrurpg.com as soon as it gets out.

Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm really looking forward to Destiny6. I bought the old Fantasy6 but was largely disappointed by it's generic nature. It was just a set of rules with no world or even a defined set of rules (many optional rules for magic and damage for example). It doesn't sound like Destiny6 will have these problems so I'm very excited to hear more about it.

Any news on this?

Funny you should ask. We are indeed complete with all principle writing and nearly 90% of the artwork. The current problem we have is that we have too much stuff in this book. We are at over 500 pages and are looking to places where we can trim it down to around 400ish (398 would be optimal). Everyone, please feel free to let us know what your thoughts are on this.

What price mark are you shooting for? Is that why there's a problem with the page count? 500 pages makes the price too high?

I think it would boil down to what was in there to determine what could be removed or trimmed. If you've got massive elaboration on things, perhaps trimming some of those would help. Basically, though, without knowing the content page count, we'd just be shooting in the dark as far as suggesting what to trim.

Is there perhaps a "breakpoint of material" where you could put out a 298 page Corebook and a 198 page Companion book?

Several game systems have use this approach in the past and it seemed to work pretty well.

How about splitting the Corebook into two volumes?

Corebook – Everything a player needs to start/play inexperienced characters

---Rules

---Races

---Character templates

---Mundane items

---Solo adventure

Corebook Addendum for Gamemasters – Additional info only GMs will need

---Setting/World Info

---Bestiary

---Magical items

This may not make good business sense but I like the idea of keeping some information away from players so that they don’t already know everything about the world before their character ever explores it.

It probably wouldn’t save very many pages but another suggestion would be to omit the solo adventure since it will permanently take up space in the book but only be read once (if at all).

As a side question, have the development of the other Destiny6 products continued while you were waiting on the Corebook artwork? If so, do you hope to release additional products sooner after the Corebook's debut?

I say go for the bigger, more expensive brick. I'd rather have the full game in 1 book. And on your end, it is hard to gage how many Dm guides you need compared to player's guides. You might end up with full boxes of the DM's guide that you cannot sell...

Another option, if you wanna stick with the DM and PG separated, would be to sell them as PDFs for a bit, this way you know the proportion of DMs guide vs player's guides you need. Plus, it gives time to get feedback and to work on a revision before it goes to print.

Thank you everyone for your comments here, in PMs, and via e-mail. From the information gained, we have decided to trim down:

• character occupation templates (moving a number of these to the Campaign Guide)
  • GM's section (only basic information for GMs will be provided here, the Gamemaster's Guide will expand on this)
  • special gear (moving many of the "colorful" pieces to the Campaign Guide, how to build/create and other non-specific gear will be moved to the Gamemaster's Guide)
  • creatures (trimming the number of creatures to a much smaller number, adding the remainder to the Bestiary)
  • setting info (we will provide basic setting information but the setting will be "fleshed out" in the Campaign Guide)

Yes. While waiting on artwork we are currently working on the other "core" books (Gamemaster's Guide, Bestiary, and Campaign Guide). We are also working on a series of adventure modules.

Thank you again for your support.

Hey JP, I was just wondering if there were any updates on how Destiny6 is progressing? Are things coming together or are the gods of game design testing your resolve? :)

Destiny6 is progressing, slowly. The gods of game design are definitely testing our resolve, but things are coming together nicely (even if they are coming together slowly). As I have mentioned elsewhere, I'm about as much a perfectionist (read as "anal retentive") as any designer or publisher can be. Since we'll be pinning our hat to this project and really hanging our butts out there with some new D6 design elements, I want to make sure everything is easily understood and non-cumbersome (we've had a group of 8-10 year old boys and girls create characters and run a game of their own devising without adult interference, as a control group for simplicity).

I want to make sure everything is easily understood and non-cumbersome (we've had a group of 8-10 year old boys and girls create characters and run a game of their own devising without adult interference, as a control group for simplicity).

Quite impressive! Although I may be in the minority, I think that's a great selling point as far as accessibility of the rules, and an exceptional idea for playtesting. Looking forward to seeing it, whenever the gods of game design see fit to bless us with the game!

Edited by Lee Torres

Destiny6 is progressing, slowly. The gods of game design are definitely testing our resolve, but things are coming together nicely (even if they are coming together slowly). As I have mentioned elsewhere, I'm about as much a perfectionist (read as "anal retentive") as any designer or publisher can be. Since we'll be pinning our hat to this project and really hanging our butts out there with some new D6 design elements, I want to make sure everything is easily understood and non-cumbersome (we've had a group of 8-10 year old boys and girls create characters and run a game of their own devising without adult interference, as a control group for simplicity).

Yes, I agree that accessibilty is huge with young/new gamers and, with regard to your perfectionism, I think polish is a huge selling point for all gamers. It seems like everytime I find a new rpg that looks interesting, I come away dissappointed after a closer inspection due to a combination of unexplained mechanics, loopholes, rule contridictions, discrepancies in the setting, plot holes in the lore etc. Come to think of it, a group of 10 year olds is probably the perfect focus group for identifying any of these problems! In my experience, if something doesn't make sense, a 10 year old will find it and if a rule/mechanic is exploitable, a 10 year old will break it :)