D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Young Freud

Just getting back into this...

Okay, I've just started looking at TORG as a game for the first time in fifteen years. I got a copy of R&E, like some of the changes. Trying to figure where to go from here. Some big questions I got...

1) I'm trying to develop a better version of Kanawa Personal Weapons. As great as Nigel Findley was, he knew nothing about firearms. The first things up, especially since if I ever do run TORG again it will be a 21st century campaign, so updating using 21st century firearms, with the trends like Personal Defense Weapons (P90 and MP7), Short Barreled Rifles, adaptable combat rifles (like the SCAR and ACR), large bore anti-material rifles, and Airburst Weapons like the XM25, the Daewoo K11, and the South African PAW-20. Also, while it seems I'm being specific, I'm planning on doing this as generic as possible, with few exceptional examples, so someone can plug in anything they want. However, I may flesh out some Tech axiom 20 and 21 stuff, since you had a lot more differentiation around then.

2) Speaking of Kanawa, I've read through some of the redos, but has anyone attempted a rebuild of Nippon Tech. I've got some ideas, some of that has been covered already, such as Marketplace, which I'm currently referring to as the Consortium, as a parallel Earth, with multiple ethnicities. I think about keeping Kanawa/3372 as High Lord and leaving Japan and East Asia as an invasion point, but making the Consortium more insidious, to the point they may have infiltrated key areas of not just Japan but the U.S. government as well. Also, as with bumping up Core Earth's Tech axiom to 24, I'm thinking of bumping up NT/Consortium's up to 25, which would expand a lot of options. I think I'd rather run them as a sort of James Bond/S.H.E.I.L.D. superspy place, with maybe a hint of Ghost In The Shell.

3) Also, I've been thinking about having Tharkold be successful in their Russian attempt, with Nippon Tech taking St. Petersburg. I love me some S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Metro 2033, and I do love the idea of super-organized crime running around on the outskirts. Maybe have areas where they overlap.

4) I'd wondering if to use the Cyberpapacy at all, and if so, where to drop them. I'd like a bigger threat than the Living Land (another I'm wondering about), so a Cyberpapal Mexico would be a "rock and a hard place" situation for America. Also, I think the False Papacy would do better there than in France.

5) Everyone loves the Nile, but I'm thinking of having it expand more into Sub-Sahara Africa.

That's all I can think of for now.

I don't feel that Nippon Tech requires much of a re-do. Perhaps an expansion of it. I know that any time an Asian organization comes into play, players assume it's controlled by Kanawa.

In one permutation of the campaign world, I plopped the Nile Empire down in Los Angeles as one of it's invasion sites. The idea was turning Hollywood into a pulp-action zone out of the old 1930's movies. They got San Francisco, too, and I was planning a Nile realm in the South Pacific for a "Tales of the Golden Monkey" theme. I moved Tharkold to Detroit, and make the Living Land into more, smaller pockets. Orrorsh dropped a subtle, mixed-zone realm in Louisiana (makes New Orleans Mardi Gras really fun...).

Oh, and Aysle opened up a maelstrom bridge in the Florida Keys, with a realm covering most of the Carribean. Pirates, Aaarrrr!

Just comparing notes.

I don't feel that Nippon Tech requires much of a re-do. Perhaps an expansion of it. I know that any time an Asian organization comes into play, players assume it's controlled by Kanawa.

One of the ideas I'm playing with is the NT/Consortium is behind the Delphi Council (or something like them). So, whatever gains the Delphi Council and the United States makes in the Possibility Wars, it ultimately benefits the NT/Consortium.

One of the things that just occurred to me is that a Nile Empire expanding into Sub-Sahara Africa would look very much like the Congo War in the '60s. A lot of that war was fought with mercenaries using WW2 surplus era weaponry, like the Thompson gun (like out of the Warren Zevon song, "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner") and the Sturmgewehr-44 (which one of the reason you don't see a lot of them nowadays is because many got dumped there).

I think Nile/Terra presence in North America would be cool. Maybe something like a dimthread created by weird science from Terra by a group of Mystery Men interventionists than an actual realm pocket.