D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
johntfs

Remake/Remodel: Land Below/Living Land

Guest zack zenobi3

Hey Jasyn, the Links to your High social Takter Ker don't work anymore. Is that info still availible?

Hey Jasyn, the Links to your High social Takter Ker don't work anymore. Is that info still availible?

Not online. If you like, I can forward the original emails to you. Send me a PM with your email addr, if you're interested.

Since this thread has been resurrected let's talk about it some more. One of the keys to fixing the Living Land has to be increasing the players' desire to go there. As is, the published adventures and adventure seeds that deal with the realm either start players in the middle of the place or give them a fairly specific in and out mission to complete, emphasis on out. In the other realities Storm Knights might hang out for a while post adventure and do other stuff. Maybe pick up a cool magic sword in Aylse or a new cybernetic hand in the Cyberpapacy (after an accident with the new cool magic sword). Some places are cool and useful enough that Storm Knight groups might base themselves there full time like the Nile or Nippon. Even Orrorsh might see Storm Knights getting a pint at a tavern while their Occultist checks out that musty old bookshoppe 'round the corner. The Living Land, meanwhile, is pretty much chock full of lizards, cavepeople, nasty monsters, fog, trackless jungle and noble morons who won't do the sane thing and get the hell out of there. Why the hell would you want to visit the place, much less live there?

Simple answer: Loot.

Loot One (the stuff that should exist in any campaign): The Living Land is a post-apocalyptic wasteland. Millions of people perished, fled or turned into primitive screwheads who hate and fear inanimate objects. The upshot of this is that there's a whole lot of unclaimed valuable stuff just lying around waiting for enterprising Storm Knight to haul. Money, gold, jewels, art objects, guns, ammo, explosives, vehicles, fuel, medicine, etc. You could potentially walk onto an abandoned military base and drive out in your own tank. Beyond simple looting there's plenty to be gained in the in/out mission catagory. "Yeah, there's $50 million in diamonds of mine. Bring 'em out and you get 10%."

Loot Two (possible Living Land items not officially created) I love Sparrow's mutation/adaption idea. It gives a really good answer to "Why go to the Living Land?" - because you can get superpowers there. I'd probably do them as permanent miracles. Someone blessed with a permanent See Through Mist or Increased Strength. Meanwhile, I'd add Miracle plants and animals. These are plants and animals which if consumed, bestow some miracle at a certain value. Perhaps a tuber that bestows Healing at Faith 20, or a creature whose heart, if eaten right after a kill, will confer Increased Toughness or perhaps a tree whose fruit falls to the ground an explodes like Pain Sacks, that can be harvested and tossed at enemies. Like that.

Meanwhile, it might be a good idea to turn down some of the pain-in-the-ass features of the place like the rotting food syndrome, missing items and getting lost unless they play an important part in an adventure.

Simple answer: Loot. [...]

The upshot of this is that there's a whole lot of unclaimed valuable stuff just lying around waiting for enterprising Storm Knight to haul.

One of my revised World Laws is oriented precisely around this, and not just from CE. Potentially, from any cosm the LL invades. (See the "Storm Knights" LL thread.)

It gives a really good answer to "Why go to the Living Land?" - because you can get superpowers there. I'd probably do them as permanent miracles.

I call these Divine Boons, and they're a core part of my Spirit Axiom. Things like Samson's strength or Solomon's wisdom, as examples. At low axiom levels, only great individuals have them. At the level of the Living Land, any Jakatt or Rek Jakutta can.

The post I'm working on right now gives some more details. I'll post it soonish.

Meanwhile, I'd add Miracle plants and animals. These are plants and animals which if consumed, bestow some miracle at a certain value. Perhaps a tuber that bestows Healing at Faith 20, or a creature whose heart, if eaten right after a kill, will confer Increased Toughness or perhaps a tree whose fruit falls to the ground an explodes like Pain Sacks, that can be harvested and tossed at enemies.

In my Living Land, certain eidenos have the ability to Shape Life, to mold plants and animals into useful forms. I'm going to be posting those rules soonish, as well.

Meanwhile, it might be a good idea to turn down some of the pain-in-the-ass features of the place like the rotting food syndrome, missing items and getting lost unless they play an important part in an adventure.

And I have written an entire World Law that does just this: "The Perils of a Living Land". See it here.

For the most part, it would seem we agree. :)

I read your revised Living Land right after posting this and loved it.

Thanks. :) I hope to get the next pieces posted any day now.

I like what you are doing. How it is in many ways backwards compatible. Ironically, WEG introduced the Land Below to replace the Living Land, and you have largely made the LL able to do the same thing. If I may, I suggest that Merritika could be introduced as a LL/Nile mixed zone, and Gehenna as a region where the secret Other Realm intersects with the LL.

On the toys section and the concept that all Edeinos are supposed to have access to miracles: I solved this by allowing Jakatts to have Prayers, but only Optants (with the Focus skill) can perform Rituals.

I like that idea Green Dragon. I'd also allow Jakatts (and Goteks, ie those with Focus) to alter Ritual times and Difficulties.

I would say that any Ritual with a "Casting Time" of an hour or less is subject to this in the following way:

Any Ritual with a Casting Time of an hour (18) or less has that time reduced to 10 seconds (5) or one round.

Anyone with a Faith in (Kata Kelles) can perform such Rituals as Prayers.

Those with Focus may choose to perform them as Rituals of base or abbreviated length and reduce the difficulty according to the following formula

Base Difficulty +5 - Casting Time taken.

Example: A Jakatt wishes to use Healing on someone and has plenty of time to do so. So, she takes the full hour to do the Ritual. Healing usually has a difficulty of 17. In this case the Jakatt's Difficulty is only a 4 (17 + 5 - 18). Assuming that same Jakatt was with some hunters and wanted to take only a minutes to try a Healing, she could do that to, in which case her Difficulty would be a 13 (17 + 5 - 9).

I set the cut-off point at an hour because I figure that the Ritual that take above that really kind of require all the pomp and circumstance to get done.

Meanwhile, Jakatts can reverse this process in terms of Prayers by performing them as Rituals, though this should be rarer. Generally if a Jakatt needs to perform Cure Poison because somebody got bitten by a Cobra, he pretty much needs to do it right the hell then.

If I may, I suggest that Merritika could be introduced as a LL/Nile mixed zone,

Let's talk about Merretika, or the original Land Below. The original Land Below — Merretika, and the other material in the Land Below Sourcebook — is quite cool. But it's not a Pocket Dimension of Core Earth. It never should have been.

It's a pocket dimension of the Nile Empire.

Why?

It's a part of the Nile. Lost civilizations are so very very pulp that if the Land Below never existed, I'd have to make it up so the Nile could be complete.

Evidence:

• It shares a World Law with the Nile (the Law of Action),

• It has 2 axioms in common with the Nile,

• And it has two power sets that only appear in the Nile: Nilish Pulp Powers and Nilish Engineering.

The Land Below is, in a very real sense, the Nile Empire with lower Social and Tech axioms (but still much higher than the Living Land), and some additional/variant World Laws. It is part of the Nile.

More, there are already pockets of lost civilizations in the canon. Khem, the island lost to time, where Pharaoh Mobius waited to be resurrected. Hespera, the "Amazon Island" in the new Libyan sea (pg. 46, Nile Empire Sourcebook). Some of the Nile templates even hail from there!

The original Land Below is Primitive Pulp, the pocket dimension where lost civilizations are preserved.

The Land Below, in its original form, is, and must be, a Pocket Dimension of the Nile.

and Gehenna as a region where the secret Other Realm intersects with the LL.

There's a secret Other Reality? Pish tosh. Purest rumor. :D

I solved this by allowing Jakatts to have Prayers, but only Optants (with the Focus skill) can perform Rituals.

The R&E actually has rules for such things. I'd have to did to find the page cites, but if Jim wanders in he could as well.