Jerry D. Grayson

Terra Oblivion…or what Jerry is up to

13 posts in this topic

What I did over my summer vacation

By Jerry Dewayne Grayson

Period 3, 10.5.2010

I’ve been fiddling around with a few things lately. My next D6’ish project called Terra Oblivion.

Terra Oblivion is a postapocalyptic fantasy that mixes my whacky skewed sensibilities of high action super heroics with horror and old school D&D…with a little Gamma World thrown in and some Mexican wrestling

Think Dragon Riders of Pern meets Black Company, meets Hawkmoon, meets Gormenghast, and a bit of Tropic of Cancer

It uses a legend-like system to run it with aspects of D6 Powers and GODSEND Agenda mixed in.

My Wednesday night game will be the first test drive of the new slimmed down and sexy system. Since it rotated back to me and everyone wanted to play a Sci-fi game we decided to do Star Wars in the Tales of the Jedi era. Not my first choice of sci-fi since I’ve played so much but I took it as a challenge to test the new system.

Amazingly it fits very well with what Terra Oblivion will be about. My sensibilities about Jedi are very simple and straight forward and throw out almost all the EU stuff in favor of the movies and TV series that have been presented over the years (even the Holiday Special).

The Jedi are pretty easy to stat up since they really only have 6, maybe 7 powers and the other characters are easy to model as well. Most aliens are built just like human with bumps on their heads and strange colors unless they have some sort of strange ability like the ability to breathe water or wings.

I’ve presented the character sheet for Terra with a Star Wars logo tacked on for you to have a look at.

The skills have been slimmed down and distilled but I still have a lot of work to do. I’ll try and post the PCs once they have them all done so that you can see how the game works.

TO_Sheet.jpg

Interesting. I know of at least one person who will be interested to hear of the post-apocolyptic setting.

As far as the character sheet...would love to hear about the "love...hate" "calm...anger" and "courage...fear". Everything else seems pretty straight forward.

As far as the character sheet...would love to hear about the "love...hate" "calm...anger" and "courage...fear".

Is this the advantages/disadvantages idea that you were working on for Hellas before that changed to the OMNI System? The Relationship / Internal / External rang a bell. Is the breakout in the center (that Grimace referred to) specific to the Star Wars setting, or will that be part of the larger picture as well?

Looking forward to learning more about this...

Edited by Lee Torres

By Jerry Dewayne Grayson

I'd been wondering what the "D" stood far. :)

In all seriousness, Terra Oblivion sounds interesting. I always love me a good Postie. I'll have to go look up what Black Company, Hawkmoon and Gormenghast are, though.

Is this the advantages/disadvantages idea that you were working on for Hellas before that changed to the OMNI System? The Relationship / Internal / External rang a bell.

It’s the same system used in both version of HELLAS. Instead of picking from a list you customize the disadvantages to the characters. Everyone MUST have disadvantages but you don’t have to use them. If you do use them you get hero points to use during the game. If the GM wants to use them and you don’t want them to come into play then you pay the GM the same amount of hero points

Is the breakout in the center (that Grimace referred to) specific to the Star Wars setting, or will that be part of the larger picture as well?

These are personality traits that help determine who your character is and how he reacts in certain situations. I stole the concept from Pendragon and tweaked them a bit.

You divide points between the two linked traits and they ebb and flow between them during play.

Something like this is used in Terra Oblivion but I sort of tailored it to the Star Wars game were playing

Anger leads to hate and hate leads to fear and it all leads to the dark side. Once the traits become permanent then you turn towards the darkside. Its all in the players hands

I'd been wondering what the "D" stood far. :)

The “D” actual stands for either dullard or delinquent

It depends on the time of day and the mood I’m in:p

Very cool looking sheet Jerry. I look forward to seeing more.

Very cool looking sheet Jerry. I look forward to seeing more.

Yeah.

Did the playtest on Wednesday and it went well and we learned a lot. I need to up the hit points for the PCs just a bit and re tool the way passions are distributed.

Instead of 8 points between the two corresponding passions I dropped it to 5 so that you cane never be even.

I added another passion called Compassion /Apathy to the list to cover a gap in play.

The passions are used to help players gauge and role-play their characters. They are also used to reinforce the setting and themes of the game.

In Terra Oblivion you are slowly corrupted by your action/inaction and the world around you and in Star Wars it’s used for slipping to the dark side.

During play we had a Beast rider, a Jedi, a scoundrel pilot, and an assassin droid.

Most of the game the heroes rolled against their traits using their willpower where appropriate.

The beast rider (who is really angry) had to roll against Anger when he was bumped in the bazaar making his meat pie fall from his hand.

The Jedi used her calm to help her focus and use her Jedi mind trick. She used the bonus dice to help overcome the custom agent who wanted to search their ship for illegal contraband.

Because of the way drawbacks work we had an instant adventure because the scoundrel had a jilted lover who was a crime boss on the planet the game started on. She wanted him dead and sent bounty hunters after him. Because he was commissioned to take the Jedi and her droid (an old assassin droid who was reprogrammed), her friend and companion the Beast Rider to a conflict on another planet the rest of the party was involved.

The games finale was a shoot out in a hangar bay with bounty hunters.

The pilot used his calm during the big battle to keep his cool and take out the bounty hunters. The number in calm as bonus wild dice he could use for dice rolls or damage.

Still a lot of kinks to work out and I don’t think I’ve explained the game well so far. Oh well it’s late and I need to go red some comics before bed time.

Looks like an interesting iteration of the D6 engine. Any further developments on this front?

Some. ….

The system works but needs to be tightened up so that it isn’t bogged down in dice rolling. The major problem which I’m attempting to turn into a feature is a lack of granularity of the Legend system. The system has some of the same problems I’ve always had with the Storyteller system and I plan on fixing that before I end up with an Exalted type game that collapses under its own weight.

It’s the same problem I ran into with the D6 version of HELLAS and one of the contributing reasons why that was scuttled. The scale of the game needs to be fine tuned so that it works well for what I plan on doing with it.

Just saw this and it looks very interesting. I'd love to hear more.