D6 Online 3.0
Grimace

Design a mech...what is needed?

Over on the D6 mailing list there's been some talk recently about mech design. Basically, things ranging from large mechs that are basically major vehicles of some sort, smaller mechs that may still require physical motion by the operator in order to function, and the smallest aspect where it's simply an exo-skeleton or some sort of personal battle suit where pretty much everything is determined by the motion of the operator.

So, with that in mind, and realizing that there's quite a wide variety of mechs out there, what sorts of things would people like to see in regards to mech design for OpenD6? What options would you think would be a necessity (beyond the standard "weapons" and "sensors")? What aspects would you think would be necessary to differentiate between a mid-level combat suit like that seen on the movie Avatar and a large battle mech like something seen in Battletech and something even more advanced like a Veritech fighter?

Lend me your thoughts, please.

Scale is the main thing that tells the difference really

I sorta think mechs need a break apart of Str and Armor for their hull codes

Beyond that cant think of anything that isnt already in say a Star Wars ship/vehicle info sheet

The main thing Id like to see is some definite method of guestimating a price tag . . . . throwing together some random stats is easy, figuring out how much they cost not so much

Edited by Kalzazz

I agree with Kalzazz that the scale is the main thing. The standard vehicle stats from D6 Space work well for mecha as they are, for the most part. I'm currently running a game of Robotech that I've converted over to D6, and the numbers I've come up with are working well so far. I never cared for the "die cap" scale system from Star Wars 2nd Edition, and always preferred the scaling system from SW2E:RE that uses dice modifiers to the to-hit and damage codes instead. D6 Space uses something similar, but effectively uses pips instead of dice. The main reasons I prefer it are that it is easier (it doesn't require reference to a chart) and it also makes it simpler to directly compare vehicles of different scale.

Along with scale, as I see it, the main difference between a full-scale mecha and something like a power armor, when it comes to D6 rules, is damage charts. In a Cyclone, for example, the pilot is more likely to take damage than in, say, a veritech fighter. I've based my damage charts on the ones from SW2E:RE, and the conversion was fairly easy.

Here is a data sheet I'm using in the game. I used a number of sources for the stats, including the new Palladium books, the Robotech Reference Guide, and the Robotech Research website. I tweaked the stats when I thought it necessary. I'm using 2D for what I'm calling Power Armor Scale, and 4D for Mecha Scale. If I ever need them, I'll use 6D for shuttles and dropships (like the Zentraedi dropship and the Master's bioroid carrier), and 12D for starships.

Anyway, I hope this helps, and if you have any suggestions or comments on MY conversion, I'd appreciate it.

The main thing Id like to see is some definite method of guestimating a price tag . . . . throwing together some random stats is easy, figuring out how much they cost not so much

The cost of a thing is very subjective as it depends on the setting. What should something cost in modern day US vs in Star Wars vs Firefly vs X...

Good example: A tramp freighter just doesn't exist today, so it would cost Infinite $$$ to get. But in Star Wars it costs 25,000 Credits used, where 1 credit is approximately $1.

I, too, have been poking around to see if anyone has been working up a d6 converstion for Robotech.

Here's what I've found:

http://www.robotechx.com/forums/7-robotech-games-and-media/9605-robotech-d6-using-opend6-from-west-end-games.html

Also, check out the file "Robotech RPG.doc" on this website: http://www.ninjalawyer.com/public/

I, too, have been poking around to see if anyone has been working up a d6 converstion for Robotech.

Hehe, my thread over at RtX.com. I haven't updated in a while since I've been doing setting work at the moment instead of rules. Anything y'all see that needs tweaking in what I presented, let me know. I would love to trade info since it will make things alot easier.

Have you decided which scale system you are using?

The Ninjalawyer conversion is using the SWd6 R&E "dice-add" scale system. I'm just curious if you had any problems statting out all the mecha and balancing them along the scales?

Have you decided which scale system you are using?

The Ninjalawyer conversion is using the SWd6 R&E "dice-add" scale system. I'm just curious if you had any problems statting out all the mecha and balancing them along the scales?

At the moment I'm leaning to the R&E instead of Die Caps. I deleted Starfighter-scale completely and rolled it into Battloid-scale. As for mecha, I'm going with the following breakdown for the moment (I'll probably go with area-specific armor values at a later date):

Battloid Scale

- Destroids and Bioroids represent the highest armour value for 'humanoid mecha' and top out at 6D Hull

- Human Veritechs usually have 5D with only the Veritech Hovertank being 6D (its basically a transforming Destroid after all)

- Most Zentraedi and Invid mecha have from 3D to 5D depending upon mission role

- Armored Vehicles like tanks, AIFVs and the like will probably have between 6D and 8D simply because they're built specifically to survive combat with other tanks (armored vehicles are still Mecha-killers).

I haven't yet started on Vehicle-scale platforms.

Of course, this is all subject to change since I'm building an AU and have to concentrate on setting information more than game at the moment.

This is one of my earliest attempts:

th_D6AuroraSheet.jpg

So when you say you "deleted" starfighter scale, do you mean you just renamed it, or have you altered the amount that the Battloid scale is at compared to what Starfighter scale was at?

I'm interested to see what you come up with and what you have, as you really seem to have a rather keen interest in mechs/mechas. I'm collecting ideas for building mechs, so it'll be interesting to see what you have.

"In a Cyclone, for example, the pilot is more likely to take damage than in, say, a veritech fighter." If hit , agreed. One thing that Palladium did not factor in well with their combat system was modifying the to-hit targets due to relative speed. (if I'm off-base, please correct me Rabid fan- I haven't cracked open my shadow chron rpg books or the originals in some time). Point being, The Cyclone could jump about at nearly twice the reaction time of the Invid enforcers; at least as depicted in the original invid war series. But yes, if hit, the cyclone rider better have paid their life insurance. One way to work speed advantage into the body armor vs full size mecha is potentially in the number of free attacks without modifier you give them, and a bonus to static Dodge rolls (does not have to be huge bonus). Just jabbering a couple pennies into the pile...

and in case you haven't seen the show in a while, they have all of the 3 series on hulu.com, just search on Robotech there-in. (additionally Shadow Chronicles movie on there in full)

Edited by Lubidius

So when you say you "deleted" starfighter scale, do you mean you just renamed it, or have you altered the amount that the Battloid scale is at compared to what Starfighter scale was at?

Here is the basic layout I have for scales:

Character

Ex. - Player Characters (duh!), Small Arms, Body Armor

Vehicle

Ex. - Cyclones, regular (non-armored) vehicles, Heavy Weapon Damage

Battloid

Ex. - Any mecha 3.5m or taller, armored vehicles (tanks, AIFVs etc)

Shuttle

Ex. - Any vehicle between 20m to 90m in length (Titan-class GMU, Pegasus-class Assault Shuttle etc), most reinforced buildings, Light Anti-Ship Weaponry

Capital

Ex. - Any vehicle larger than 100m, Reinforced Subsurface Berths, Space Stations, SDF-series warships etc.

Planet

Ex. - Moons, Planets, Stars, large space stations (like The Robotech Repair Factory/Space Station Liberty); generally any object over 20km in size.

Looks about right to me. I think it fits the show's depiction of each size/type well. Do you have a beta doc of your 'RobotechD6' lying about? I'd love to review it. (PM me if you are willing to send along). I'm not an 'expert' by any means, but I own the DVDs and watched them religiously as a young teen; if that's any measure of my love for the show. I also owned most of the original Palladium game, and the first of the newer versions. (Just have not had the spare change to get the rest of the new source books, though they look good)

Looks about right to me. I think it fits the show's depiction of each size/type well.

Thanks.

Do you have a beta doc of your 'RobotechD6' lying about? I'd love to review it.

Not yet, sadly. Like I said I'm still in the collating stage at this moment since I'm doing an Alternate Universe setting. Its not even half ready yet. I created a few templates and a few mecha as a basis for comparison. That would be a good start for you to get your bearings. I'll post a few examples to show ya:

Lotzor Tactical Battlepod th_D6LotzorSheet1.jpg MWR-Excaliber Gen 1 Destroid th_D6ExcaliberSheet1.jpg

Zentraedi Quadrono Ace th_D6QuadronoPilot3.jpg Private Military Contractor th_D6PrivateMilitaryContractor.jpg

Also, I assume this is your doing ---> http://www.robotechx.com/forums/13-robotech-fanfics/13133-alternate-robotech-the-seeds-of-the-ref-civil-war.html Nice stuff...Whenever a beta is posted, I'll put it through some testing if you wish...

Hehe, yep, that is the fan fiction that I've been working on to go along with the setting. Thanks for the praise. As for the VF/B-7 Devastator, your wish is my command. Figure that the Invid Regess' Iigaa (Armoured Scout) is similar to the Lotzor, just minus the Light Beam Cannons, since my version has the medium beam cannons and (chin-mounted) light lasers.

VF/B-7 Devastator Veritech Fighter/Bomber th_D6DevastatorSheet.jpg

Veritech Fighter Pilot th_D6VeritechPilot3.jpg

Edited by RobotechSouthernCrossFan

Here is the basic layout I have for scales:

Character

Ex. - Player Characters (duh!), Small Arms, Body Armor

Vehicle

Ex. - Cyclones, regular (non-armored) vehicles, Heavy Weapon Damage

Battloid

Ex. - Any mecha 3.5m or taller, armored vehicles (tanks, AIFVs etc)

Shuttle

Ex. - Any vehicle between 20m to 90m in length (Titan-class GMU, Pegasus-class Assault Shuttle etc), most reinforced buildings, Light Anti-Ship Weaponry

Capital

Ex. - Any vehicle larger than 100m, Reinforced Subsurface Berths, Space Stations, SDF-series warships etc.

Planet

Ex. - Moons, Planets, Stars, large space stations (like The Robotech Repair Factory/Space Station Liberty); generally any object over 20km in size.

So I'm guessing it's just a direct correlation between the two?

Your scale -> Star Wars

Character -> Character

Vehicle -> Speeder

Battloid -> Walker

Shuttle -> Starfighter

Capital -> Capital

Moon -> Death Star

So I'm guessing it's just a direct correlation between the two?

Your scale -> Star Wars

Character -> Character

Vehicle -> Speeder

Battloid -> Walker

Shuttle -> Starfighter

Capital -> Capital

Moon -> Death Star

Not exactly. Starfighter scale, if it were directly ported over to Robotech would include vehicles like Veritechs, but not (say) Destroids. That makes no sense whatsoever. That's why I renamed it Shuttle and gave the example of any vehicle larger 20m. Even the largest Destroid, the Mobile Artillery Robot series Thundercracker is smaller than that at 14.8m height.