bblackmoor

Open D6 Supers

59 posts in this topic

For attacking no, but what if I want to use my Magnetism, or my Mind Control? I have to roll once to succeed and then once for effect? That seems clumsy to me.

You don't roll for effect. The effect is automatic, based on the power's level.

What if I want to attack with my magnetism? Do I roll and attack and then roll the damage off my power? Can I attack with my Magnetism or do I have to Power Stunt it? How do I do Power Stunts?

Just trying to get a better perspective, so that my little side project can be even simpler :)

What if I want to attack with my magnetism? Do I roll and attack and then roll the damage off my power? Can I attack with my Magnetism or do I have to Power Stunt it? How do I do Power Stunts?

Ok, first, I'll need to know what system you are actually using. :-) Is it the DC Universe system? Preferably with the Directive on Super Powers sourcebook?

Ok, first, I'll need to know what system you are actually using. :-) Is it the DC Universe system? Preferably with the Directive on Super Powers sourcebook?

For the sake of argument, let's say yes to that assumption :)

For the sake of argument, let's say yes to that assumption :)

Ok, then. Here's how it would work, if I remember it correctly: let's say you have the Magnetic Manipulation power, which allows you to control magnetic forces. You can use your Magnetic Manipulation die code as a virtual Strength/Lifting die code to determine the total weight in metallic objects you can lift and manipulate, but any fine manipulation with that strength (like, say, twisting and fusing metal pieces into crude handcuffs) would require a skill roll using Know-How (Magnetic Manipulation). If you wanted to throw a piece of metal into someone, your Magnetic Manipulation die code would determine the strength and speed of the attack, and thus its damage, but you wouldn't roll the Magnetic Manipulation die code; instead, you would make a skill roll using Marksmanship (Magnetic Manipulation) to see if you would hit your target.

Basically, you rarely (if ever) roll the power's die code, you only use it to determine the power's effect (in the case of Energy Blast, the blast's range and damage; in the case of Force Field, the field's Armor Value; etc.). To actually use the power, you almost always make a skill roll with the appropriate skill (Marksmanship to hit things with ranged attacks, Know-How for fine manipulation - like turning your force field into a force ramp -, etc.).

That actually sounds like a really simple way of handling something like the Force. Good explanation, Thorvald!

That actually sounds like a really simple way of handling something like the Force. Good explanation, Thorvald!

Thanks! I actually liked that part of the system because it helped balance super-powered heroes and non-supers a bit more. The problems it had were in different areas (like, almost everything else :-)).

Hmmm, let's see...

You know how most (if not all) point-buy systems can be easily exploited when the GM's not paying attention? Well, it's even easier in DC Universe, and the results are more extreme. For instance, it's a lot cheaper for you to maximize an attack power and buy several modifiers so that you can attack six or seven times a turn - without multiple action penalties - with it than creating a well-rounded hero like, say, Spider-Man.

There is an enormous discrepancy, in terms of effect value (damage, protection, etc.), between attack or defense powers like Energy Blast or Natural Armor and plain, old Super Strength. Seriously, Superman's punch (with his Super Strength 18D or higher) was so laughably weak (Natural Armor 5D or 6D would have ignored the damage from one of his regular punches), they had to patch it by means of a specific maneuver (Power Punch) and a specific modifier (head shot) in sourcebooks.

Oh yeah, you absolutely needed the sourcebooks to play the game - at least the Directive on Super-Powers -, because the powers system in the core rulebook was limited, lacking and extremely unclear on a lot of things. For instance, the Sorcery power at 3D or 5D lets you create spells on the fly, instead of having to cast them from scrolls or spellbooks... But there are no rules for spells, much less rules for creating spells.

(pet peeve) I like making heroes with mystical origins, even when they aren't sorcerers themselves, but the first level of the Magically Empowered modifier is too expensive for what little benefit it gives you.

In theory, if you start the game at Power Level 5, you should be able to create a "Junior JLA"-level type of character; not enough to reach the power level of the established heroes, but enough to actually deal with world-scale threats. Well, in practice, there's not much difference between a Power Level 5 hero and a Power Level 3 one (think the original New Titans), except that you could then take a Manipulation power at higher than 2D.

Which leads me to the inherent imbalance in the powers. It would cost you exactly the same amount of character points to take Earth Manipulation at 10D as it would to take Energy Blast 10D; but with Earth Manipulation, you have, in a single power, an attack power, a defense power, a movement power, and a general utilities power. How did they deal with this kind of thing? With artificial restrictions: in any game at a Power Level 4 or lower, you could only take a Manipulation power at a maximum of 2D. So, if you're playing in a New Titans game, you can't play Terra, because your power is too great for the intended Power Level - but if you're playing at a Power Level 5 game, you'd be silly to, say, create Wonder Woman or Captain Marvel, when you could simply create Green Lantern and do anything they can do and a lot more.

All in all, it's a system I find fiddly and inelegant. My favourite super-heroes system is still the old Mayfair DC Heroes RPG, whose system is now in its updated version in Blood of Heroes: Special Edition.