bblackmoor

Open D6 Supers

59 posts in this topic

I'll take it sir!

If you get it done before I move out West my group will enjoy trying it out ;)

What do you mean by "dice pool instead of points"? What difference does it make whether you call them points or dice or pips or doughnuts? You still start with a pile X, and get Y with them.

In DCU you were given a pool of dice to buy your powers (direct connection, same as stats and skills), now every D6 supers variant I see gives you a pool of hundreds of points to buy your powers with.

I prefer the symmetry of the former, purely a matter of taste is all :)

That works if every power is equally effective or useful. When power A and power B are disproportionately useful, that doesn't work. Even ICONS has some powers that cost double.

Which is a simple matter of increasing the cost (This costs 2D for every 1D in this power)... it is essentially they same as using points, I know, I just prefer the consistent thematic of spending dice for stats, skills AND powers.

I am not at all implying it is better or right, just my preference :)

Absolutely want in on the supers game! I have two groups of players that want me to run one, and if it's literally a week or two I can probably hold them off.

I'm also a fan of spending dice instead of points. It emphasizes the d6 focus of the game, IMHO.

I must confess that this idea intrigues me as well. Any news on the front?

I must confess that this idea intrigues me as well. Any news on the front?

I second this and wish to know about any news?

If you mean on Mini Six, I don't want to disappoint, but no. Still in the works, but busy work and school schedules have given Phil and I little time get together to finish this. I hate slipping on publishing dates, that's why I try my hardest to never set them. ;)

It is coming though.

Understandable about the work and school stuff taking precedent. Just wanted to check in :D

With a bolt of Tesla Lightning I revive this thread with a question;

The D6 Legend powers in the open document, are those based on DCU or DCU+Directive on Powers? I really need to know.

Cheers!

Hopefully Lee Torres sees this (and I'll see if I can poke him if I see him online) since he was the one that trimmed out the IP info for the D6 Legend document. He'd be the best to answer the question.

Solely based on DCU; if anyone has the bandwidth to add in a (IP-free) supplement for Directive, I can tug on Eric's coat-tails on FaceBook to get the all clear for it to join the OGL...

Solely based on DCU; if anyone has the bandwidth to add in a (IP-free) supplement for Directive, I can tug on Eric's coat-tails on FaceBook to get the all clear for it to join the OGL...

Not sure what you mean sir? Can you explain please? :)

The D6 Legend conversion is solely the DC Universe RPG; I was under a time constraint to get it to Eric before GenCon so that he could include it in the "first wave" of OpenD6 products. That didn't end up happening at GenCon, but the short version is I didn't add in any of the corrections or revisions from the Directive on Superpowers sourcebook, solely because I ran out of time to do it. If someone had the time to do a "DC intellectual property" (i.e. examples and their proprietary named superheroes) free version of the Directive, I'm pretty sure Eric would give it his blessing, at least he'd said as much back when OpenD6 was in the planning stages. Same holds true for Ghostbusters, actually, if someone wanted to write up the rules and remove the intellectual property content.

The D6 Legend conversion is solely the DC Universe RPG; I was under a time constraint to get it to Eric before GenCon so that he could include it in the "first wave" of OpenD6 products. That didn't end up happening at GenCon, but the short version is I didn't add in any of the corrections or revisions from the Directive on Superpowers sourcebook, solely because I ran out of time to do it. If someone had the time to do a "DC intellectual property" (i.e. examples and their proprietary named superheroes) free version of the Directive, I'm pretty sure Eric would give it his blessing, at least he'd said as much back when OpenD6 was in the planning stages. Same holds true for Ghostbusters, actually, if someone wanted to write up the rules and remove the intellectual property content.

Now I understand and alas that was what I was afraid of, I don't even have a copy of that book :(

Why has no one tried taking all those DCU books and boil them down to a generic supers system? Seems to me it would do well. :(

Shame to hear.

Why has no one tried taking all those DCU books and boil them down to a generic supers system? Seems to me it would do well. :(

Personally, I hated the DCU game's powers system. I thought they were unbalanced on too many levels and quite a bit fiddly.

A quick question. In all the D6 variants of super systems (so far I am talking DCU, D6 Powers and maybe D6 Adventure) do you add the power to an attribute for rolling? Like if I had Mind Control 4D and an Intelligence of 3D+1, would I just roll 4d or 7D+1 when using Mind Control? Same question, subbing out Mind Control for Energy Blast and Intelligence for Agility?

Thanks in advance.

A quick question. In all the D6 variants of super systems (so far I am talking DCU, D6 Powers and maybe D6 Adventure) do you add the power to an attribute for rolling? Like if I had Mind Control 4D and an Intelligence of 3D+1, would I just roll 4d or 7D+1 when using Mind Control? Same question, subbing out Mind Control for Energy Blast and Intelligence for Agility?

It's been a while since I played/GM'ed DC Universe, but here's how super-powers worked in that system: you used a skill for the attack roll and the power's die code for the effect. So, for instance, if you wanted to use Energy Blast, you would first make an attack roll using the Marksmanship skill (possibly with a specialization bonus), and then you would deal damage based on the Energy Blast die code (power's die code * 3, if I recall it correctly).

Yeah reading through the D6 document confirms this. Hmmmm... that is damn clumsy... gonna have to think on this.

Yeah reading through the D6 document confirms this. Hmmmm... that is damn clumsy... gonna have to think on this.

Why is that clumsy?

Why is that clumsy?

For attacking no, but what if I want to use my Magnetism, or my Mind Control? I have to roll once to succeed and then once for effect? That seems clumsy to me.

Are you using regular D6? If so, what's the difference, as you roll to succeed in the hit and then roll for damage? It works the same, it just goes about displaying it differently.

If you're not using regular D6, ignore this comment. ;)