D6 Online 3.0
Jeffrywith1e

What have you been watching lately?

The Sharpe's movies with Sean Bean? Those are enjoyable! There were a couple I didn't care much for, but some were quite good. Have you seen them before or will it be all new for you?

It's funny you mentioned Lost. I only got through a season as well. Then I caught little bits here and there of 2nd season, and never watched a full episode after that. My wife stuck with it to the end, though. Honestly, it really seemed to "jump the shark".

Hey, in terms of sci-fi television series...who has watched Farscape and what did they think of it?

I, personally, feel that ST DS9 had a bit more "good" episodes than TNG, but probably less "very good" episodes. I know you don't like Sisko, so you probably won't feel the same and I don't expect you to watch DS9 to find the good episodes. I also feel that DS9 had less "bad" episodes than TNG had. Of course, that doesn't compare to the number of "bad" episodes ST:VOY had. Of course, my dislike of Janeway probably exceeds your dislike of Sisko. ;)

I don't know if your dislike of Janeway exceeds my dislike of both Janeway and Sisko, but maybe! I do actually own three DS9 episodes I thought were pretty good. No, I doubt I could make myself sit through the entire series of either DS9 or Voyager just for the occasional good episodes I might find that I like, but I may be able to watch a limited list of supposedly "essential" quality episodes from those series, after I finish TNG. If a fan of either series wants to post a "Top 10" or so, then I may consider viewing those.

heh. I don't know if Voyager *had* any good episodes, so I can't recommend any to you.

As for DS9, unfortunately I don't own the series so I can't specifically pick out the episodes I felt were really good. Hopefully someone else can.

ALPHAS, on SYFY, was really good.

Its like a low powered X-Men series.

Alphas are a mutation -- and there is a group on each side of the conflict.

It was like watching Charles Xavier and Magneto verbally spar with each other near the very end of the season finale.

I'm doing a Space marathon. Space: Above and Beyond and Firefly.

I just watched the Space: Above and Beyond series (season) a few years ago. I loved the premise of the show. It had great potential but suffered from inconsistent quality. I still think that the Space: Above and Beyond would make a great premise for a D6 RPG that picked up the story where the show left off. But that partially comes from the cliff-hanger ending leaving me with no resolution!

I own Firefly and love it. Thankfully we did get some resolution to that cancelled series with the Serenity movie.

X-Men... Charles Xavier and Magneto...

Speaking of which, I bought X-Men: First Class for my wife (who hadn't seen it) and we watched the DVD on Saturday. I'm not a huge fan of X-Men movies but X-Men: FC is OK. My wife liked it too, and now has a celebrity crush on James McAvoy (Xavier) and his Scottish accent.

Edited by Whill
X-Men: FC is OK

I just watched Yesteryear - Episode 2 of Star Trek: The Animated Series and towards the beginning a woman at the Time Portal thing says what sounds like "see threee pee oh." Both my wife and I heard the same thing. I will have to try to watch it again. But that was very weird. Was George Lucas inspired by a 1973 Star Trek: The Animated Series episode or does someone have a better explanation?

I just watched Yesteryear - Episode 2 of Star Trek: The Animated Series and towards the beginning a woman at the Time Portal thing says what sounds like "see threee pee oh." Both my wife and I heard the same thing. I will have to try to watch it again. But that was very weird. Was George Lucas inspired by a 1973 Star Trek: The Animated Series episode or does someone have a better explanation?

I just watched the begining of the episode on CBS.com and I'm pretty sure that was Majel Barrett-Roddenberry's voice saying, "Cease review." :)

After watching X-Men: First Class again, I went back and re-watched the rest of the X-Men series (Wolverine, X-Men, X-Men United, The Last Stand). Now I take back what I said about First Class defintely being the best. Still not a huge fan of any of them, but all-in-all I'd have to say I enjoy First Class, Wolverine, X-Men and X-Men United all about the same. They're all OK. And The Last Stand was OK but still the worst IMO.

Just tell me one thing about TLS. What is the (in-universe) reason why Pheonix, the most powerful mutant in the world, was just standing around for most of the final battle. Yes, Magneto said send in the pawns first, but Pheonix had the power to just disintegrate everything which would make the Brotherhood "pawns" irrelevent and unnecessary (and end the battle before it started).

The new season of The Walking Dead started on AMC on Sunday. Good stuff. I think the episode can be watched on their website right now.

It has the right mix of zombit terror and interpersonal drama. I'm looking forward to the rest of the season.

Just tell me one thing about TLS. What is the (in-universe) reason why Pheonix, the most powerful mutant in the world, was just standing around for most of the final battle.
Because then you wouldn't see the pawns fight...oh you said in universe. ;) Dunno, maybe Magneto didn't want to pay the upkeep costs on the pawns?

Anyone else discovering the joys of buying up entire seasons of shows on DVD?

I've been going to a local Pawn Shop and getting a bunch of used copies and maan-o-man am I getting a collection.

South Park Season 1 (not certain how many seasons I'll go before I've had my fill.)

Warehouse 13 Season 2

Lois & Clark Season 1, Season 2

X-Files Season 1

Batman Beyond Season 1 (definitely want more)

Fat Albert Greatest Hits (the only version available, this collection offers a total scattershot of episodes from the 12 year run... a mere 20 episodes out of at least 90 with no clue if the other 70+ will ever be available) Not really all that much of a fan but it is part of my history so I got it for the history of it.

I'm getting the entire run of Lois and Clark (just two more seasons to get) and I'm getting all of the X-Files (also plan to get the short lived Millenium show as well since its actual series finale was an X-Files episode.)

There is so much out there of the older shows that I could just buy up the older stuff when I see it at the Pawn Shop.

I'm seriously thinking of picking up Lost whenever I see season 1

I'm also seriously thinking of getting the Buffy the Vampire Slayer series as well.

Just makin' a list at this point and seeing what I can find.

I saw that there was the complete Flash series out (not very DC-ish in a lot of ways but I liked it) only to not see it there when I returned, so now I have to wait for another copy to appear.

I really want to get Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea series, I saw a copy of part 2 of Season 1 and I think there has to be a better version around with the entire first season on it all complete.

Hey, skeloric, if you ever happen to come across a copy of the old animated series of Flash Gordon, let me know. I'd love to get my hands on that!

Yeah, sometimes the older series can be just as entertaining as some of the stuff on TV these days.

I've been going to a local Pawn Shop and getting a bunch of used copies and maan-o-man am I getting a collection.

I don't know where any pawn shops are around me, but I've gotten my wife several TV season and movie DVDs at used book stores and video rental store going-out-of-business sales. Good way to save a lot of money.

Anyone else discovering the joys of buying up entire seasons of shows on DVD?

Yes. I own The Simpsons (seasons 3-8), Futurama (season 1), That 70s Show (seasons 1-5), The Big Bang Theory (all 4 seasons released so far), Firefly (season/series), Star Trek: Enterprise (season 4 - the price was right), and Fringe (all 3 seasons released so far).

I don't know where any pawn shops are around me

http://www.uspawnshopdirectory.com/directory.php

This one found all three in my area so it could help all of you.

It is roughly about a month out of date as one shop near me had two locations up until a few weeks ago -- they remodeled one where they owned the building and then decided not to renew the lease on the other location.

So if you use the feature, it might be good to call ahead to get ideas as to business hours and assistance nailing down the location.

Still, I suspect that they are more likely to be found in larger towns/cities -- if your own town isn't listed just choose a neighbor acceptably nearby.

Truly ridiculous prices as well -- I found season one of Lois and Clark for $3, and season 2 for only $6...

Season 3 and 4 are each listed at about $12 so the pricing can be a little wonky.

Also, Pawn Shops typically have a lay-away program -- see something that costs $40 and with about 20% down ($8) you then get 90 days to get the rest together, frankly I find that what I'm aiming after takes only about 2 weeks to get and never come near the (roughly) 12 week limit.

Hey, skeloric, if you ever happen to come across a copy of the old animated series of Flash Gordon, let me know. I'd love to get my hands on that!

Yeah, sometimes the older series can be just as entertaining as some of the stuff on TV these days.

You mean this one? http://www.amazon.com/New-Adventures-Flash-Gordon-Complete/dp/B000FKO420

I checked some other sites and some places have it for sale for as low as $10.

You mean this one? http://www.amazon.com/New-Adventures-Flash-Gordon-Complete/dp/B000FKO420

I checked some other sites and some places have it for sale for as low as $10.

Holy shinola, I want that whole list!!!!

Thundarr!

Dungeons & Dragons

Defenders of the Earth (A rather brilliant use of what had become "public domain" characters united into a "Justice League" style team-up)

Is it any surprise that these shows were audacious in being quite a bit interconnected in their series runs rather that a collection of isolated episodes?

They were a proper series with story arcs, despite being cartoons.

The Thundarr!! DVD set is amazing. My wife got it for me days after it came out. "Ariel, OOkla, Rideeeeee!!!" Lords of Light! that never gets old.

It is a shame that there never was a RPG made of Thundarr's world... I think most of my RPG story ideas are merely trying to emulate half remembered Saturday Morning "Adventure Cartoons" episodes.

The Thundarr!! DVD set is amazing. My wife got it for me days after it came out. "Ariel, OOkla, Rideeeeee!!!" Lords of Light! that never gets old.

Aw, you guys are making me all nostalgic for my childhood! I already purchased my favorite childhood season of Superfriends to be a future gift for my son when he is a little older. If he ends up really getting into that then I may consider also getting him Thundarr.

The year: 1994. From out of space comes a runaway planet, hurtling between

the Earth and the Moon, unleashing cosmic destruction! Man's civilization is

cast in ruin! Two thousand years later, Earth is reborn... A strange new world

rises from the old: a world of savagery, super science, and sorcery. But one man

bursts his bonds to fight for justice! With his companions Ookla the Mok and

Princess Ariel, he pits his strength, his courage, and his fabulous Sunsword

against the forces of evil. He is Thundarr, the Barbarian!

Demon dogs!