D6 Online 3.0
Jeffrywith1e

What have you been watching lately?

As far as what I've watched lately, my wife and I saw Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides in the theater. It was entertaining, but more of the same. If you liked the previous films you'll probably like this one too.

I created a new thread dedicated to the entire 2011 theatrical summer movie season. Please, check it out here!

Next up in my Netflix queue is Robin Hood (2010)...

I liked Robin Hood. I don't think I'll ever want to own it or watch it again, but it was definitely worth the one viewing.

I can't say the same for Green Hornet which was trying to be an action-comedy film but it wasn't very funny or thrilling. Green Hornet was pretty lame and I do not recommend it to anyone.

After that my Netflix queue has the Fringe TV series. I'm more than half-way through the first season and I've enjoyed every episode.

Edited by Whill
Removed reference to posts that seem to have disappeared from the forum!

For the first time since the 80's, I re-watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. I didn't care for these episodes the first time but I thought that since my fandom for Trek has been reignited in recent years I owed it to myself to give these movies another chance.
One needs to understand the environment at the time and what happened in the background...

ST:TMP finally got green lighted and went into production with a flimsy script. Now re-writes are common, and even daily rewrites. But this production was so bad the re-writes were being done by committe and it went beyond hourly re-writes to needing a date/hour/minute time stamp (color coded pages were a dead idea like week 1 of production). Part of the problem was the producers were afraid they were gonna get shut down and the plug pulled. There were other problems with Mr. Shattner's ego but that was no different than in the series.

ST:TFF the problem was, again, Mr. Shattner. he had in his contract that anything Leonard Nemoy got, he got. period. Mr. Nemoy had directed two of the movies so far and it was "Bill's Turn" or nothing. And of course he always wanted every episode to be action oriented so he tried to go there with his movie...

It was the last one he was allowed to direct.

For the first time since the 80's, I re-watched Star Trek: The Motion Picture and Star Trek V: The Final Frontier. I didn't care for these episodes the first time but I thought that since my fandom for Trek has been reignited in recent years I owed it to myself to give these movies another chance.

I had only seen TMP in the mid-80s after I first got into Trek and thought it was a snooze-fest back then. I had tried to watch 2 other times in the 80's but fell sleep both times, so I had only seen it all the way through once before. I find that in my early middle age my appreciation is nearly identical to my teen age: boring. I had to fight the urge to fall asleep again. I honestly tried to appreciate it on intellectual and other levels to find anything good about the movie and I couldn't (except for the introduction of the new Enterprise model - Constitution-refit, still my favorite Enterprise out of them all). V'Ger was an Earth probe that acquired artificial intelligence and wanted to reunite with it's creator to learn it's purpose. Whoopty freakin' doo.

After the previous 3 ST films culminating in the excellent The Voyage Home, TFF was a huge disappointment. Now going into without the high expectation I had for it in '89, I find that it is still a steaming pile. There are just so many things bad about this movie I'm not going to go into them all. While I appreciate the Humanist messages common to Trek, here it is just tacked on in one-sentence of dialogue at the end to provide the alternative for spirituality that is possible in atheism. The primary messages of TFF is are negative ones. God may be real, but he really isn't the God you think he is. He is a false god that can be destroyed by phasers. Theists are slaves to their religious beliefs. Spirituality is merely a self-diluted way of dealing with emotional pain. Faith in the divine has no value, and a rational search for proof is humanity's only savior. Humanity's final frontier is to rationally eliminate our emotional dependency on God. Ugh. I am a rational spiritual humanist, so the three things are not necessarily mutually exclusive. I don't care what Shatner personally believes, but this re-viewing confirms that Shatner's crusade for atheism lead to one craptacular movie.

I had re-watched Nemesis last summer, and between these 3 bottom Trek films, I would have to say that TFF is still the worst.

One needs to understand the environment at the time and what happened in the background...

ST:TMP finally got green lighted and went into production with a flimsy script. Now re-writes are common, and even daily rewrites. But this production was so bad the re-writes were being done by committe and it went beyond hourly re-writes to needing a date/hour/minute time stamp (color coded pages were a dead idea like week 1 of production). Part of the problem was the producers were afraid they were gonna get shut down and the plug pulled. There were other problems with Mr. Shattner's ego but that was no different than in the series.

ST:TFF the problem was, again, Mr. Shattner. he had in his contract that anything Leonard Nemoy got, he got. period. Mr. Nemoy had directed two of the movies so far and it was "Bill's Turn" or nothing. And of course he always wanted every episode to be action oriented so he tried to go there with his movie...

It was the last one he was allowed to direct.

What I have begun to hate about Star Trek is that it has essentially been passed by.

The humanism isn't a big deal anymore, mainly as Theocratic Fascism/Fundamentalism is gearing up to dominate the next thousand years of human history -- which will drag us all into a new Dark Age where science and progress are crushed under the jackboot of "Adolph Christ" of "The New Struggle".

I just can't believe in the future as shown to us by Roddenberry.

As for ST:TMP, realize that this film was SUPPOSED to be a 40 minute episode (60 minutes minus the obligatory 20 minutes of commercials) of a relaunched 1970s TV Series "New Star Trek" which got scuttled in preference for making a series of films instead.

I have seen a severely cut down 43 minute "fan edit" which actually made the film a quick adventure romp -- a move it desperately needed.

I had a friend who went to the theater to watch the first showing of Star Trek: The Motion Picture. He explained the whole thing very differently than the people here. I will attempt to paraphrase what he told me.

Star Trek had been out of production for over a decade. There was a core group of fans that had created such a following that it prompted Roddenberry to move forward with a movie, bringing back the original characters. It was so long in coming, and the crew had not been seen on screen (TV) for years (and never in a movie), that the fervor for it in the fans had grown to astounding proportions. What was produced was done to completely placate the fans who had cried so vocally for the return of Star Trek.

When the movie started, the movie theater was silent until the first character appeared. He said that from the moment of the first showing of one of the main characters, all the way until they had shown all of the main characters, the audience in the movie was standing and applauding. He said you couldn't hear the dialogue because of the clapping and cheering. He had to go to the movie a second time, a couple weeks later, before he heard the words that were spoken by the characters.

So that particular movie was a huge, huge movie for the die hard fans of Star Trek that had waited so long to see any Star Trek on the screen again. He said the movie could have been about a trip around the moon and the die hard fans would have loved it anyway. It also explains why they had such a looong trip in the shuttle as they toured the outside of Enterprise.

As for Star Trek V, well, I'd go with what people say about Shatner's directing ability and say that's the reason we ended up with that one.

That explains the difference between the original Trek generation of fans experience of TMP and mine. I didn't become a Trekker until the summer between my 7th and 8th grade years when I watched the entire original series in reruns (and the Star War Trilogy was long over). A boy I befriended in 8th grade had a VCR and the Trek movies on tape, so I got to watch TMP, TWoK and TSfS in order within a short period of time. I fell asleep during TMP, and the next two fims were much cooler so TMP didn't have much impact on me. Even before the term existed I instictually had a sense of "reboot" of the movie series with TwoK, so TMP never meant much. But hey, at least I gave it a few shots!

Maybe it was a local aspect to the film going experience, grimace?

I never had that experience on opening night for the TMP...

Mostly it was a bit of "ooh" and "ah" for the opening credits as well as when the Klingon ship got blown up...

But it was all coughs, shuffling feet and yawns all through the rest of the film.

Another dreadful disaster of a film was THE BLACK HOLE.

Not a "bad" film.

Mostly as it felt more like a series of soliloquies set to the backdrop of a supposed derelict spaceship.

But no real action, no momentum occurring.

No sense of anything really.

Well, it WAS a Shakespearean play with the backgrounds replaced by Sci-Fi imagery.

I vaguely remember The Black Hole from my childhood (I did see that once in the theater). Odd to just pull that movie out of oblivion and randomly mention it here. Did you actually watch it lately? I heard that Disney is remaking that movie. Hope it is better than the original.

After that my Netflix queue has the Fringe TV series. I'm more than half-way through the first season

I've completed the first season of Fringe and I enjoyed every single episode (a rare feat for TV shows). Based on that, and me already seeing and liking the end of Season 2 when it first aired last year and most of Season 3 this past year, I've decided to go ahead and buy the series (starting with Season 2 since I haven't seen all of it yet - I'll eventually go back and buy Season 1, but no rush since I just watched all of it this past month). Amazon had the Season 2 DVD new for 53% off and free shipping, so it is on the way. Owning it, I should be able to easily finish it before Season 3 is released on DVD (likely in conjunction with the start of Season 4 on TV this fall). Then I'll crash-course Season 3 to see the episodes I missed this year and be totally caught up with the series for Season 4. I love Fringe, my favorite (and now only) drama I watch on the air.

I seriously need to consider DVR technology. I'm resistent to it (and even taping TV programs the old-fashioned way on a VHS tape) because I fear that if I start recording TV that I will start watching more TV. My current mode of operation is to watch my few TV programs live as new episodes air. The theory is that by maintaining a strict schedule of TV watching at certain times on certain week nights that will limit my total TV consumption. However life happens and I miss episodes. That is really no big deal for my fave comedy The Big Bang Theory, because the purpose of the very minimal "metaplot" is just to deliver more laughs. When I eventually buy and view each season on DVD, the few episodes I missed on television are like new bonus. But that sucks for dramas like Fringe because if I miss a metaplot episode then I could be lost.

Speaking of The Big Bang Theory, my wife and I just started watching the Season 3 DVD (season before this past one) that I've owned since X-mas but just haven't watched yet. Here-and-there we'll get through that this summer before Season 4 comes out on DVD (before Season 5 starts to air on TV this fall). Then we'll here-and-there-whenever watch Season 4 likely during the course of Season 5, and then finally be caught up with the episodes we've missed (until missing new episodes in Season 5 that is).

So to bring this back to Star Trek, I've deleted Fringe Season 2 from my Netflix queue and decided that I will go back through The Next Generation series (with new movies I missed in the theater thrown in intermittently as they become available). I've been saying TNG was my favorite Trek series but I still haven't seen every episode (I have seen the entire Original Series in the mid-80's and the entire Enterprise series within the past few years). For TNG, I own all of the two-part episodes, most of the multi-part story arc episodes, and several other favorite single episodes on VHS, but I'm going to go through every disc of every season and watch the episodes I don't own and haven't seen recently. So I will not only see the ones I've missed but then I will have re-watched the entire TNG series over the course of the past few years. I will then decide if there are any other TNG episodes I want to own, and will consider buying entire seasons on DVD and possibly even totally upgrade my collection to digital and downloading individual episodes of seasons that I don't buy (The VHS tapes do take up a lot of space). As of now I think the only TNG season I had seen every episode of in the past was Season 1, and I know for sure that I don't want to own the entire first season. Besides the aforementioned TNG VHS tapes, my Trek collection currently consists of my favorite episodes of TOS (Remastered) and Enterprise, and the 8 films I like.

I'd recommend the TAS as well, The Animated Series really is a shining jewel especially as Roddenberry finally (as far I understand the situation at least) embraced it as Canon, going so far as having the "Cat People" finally appear in a background scene in one of the last films he was a part of as a form of admission of declared acceptance.

How easily I forget about the TAS. I actually own that DVD set and have viewed every episode. I don't care for it. But I have it as a way to introduce Star Trek to my son when he is old enough (he's currently almost 2). If he enjoys TAS then we can move on to some age-appropriate live-action Trek and grow from there.

But the cat-people appeared in The Voyage Home and the live-action interpretation was awesome-looking! This is my avatar at a Trek forum:

image.php?u=20021&dateline=1278478556

I vaguely remember The Black Hole from my childhood (I did see that once in the theater). Odd to just pull that movie out of oblivion and randomly mention it here. Did you actually watch it lately? I heard that Disney is remaking that movie. Hope it is better than the original.

Actually, it is just the way my neurons tend to misfire.

My brain tends to leap frog to certain parallels or tangents that probably could never be logically explained.

To be honest, I haven't seen the film since it was in theatres.

I'm not all that certain that it ever went to home video/DVD....

How easily I forget about the TAS. I actually own that DVD set and have viewed every episode. I don't care for it. But I have it as a way to introduce Star Trek to my son when he is old enough (he's currently almost 2). If he enjoys TAS then we can move on to some age-appropriate live-action Trek and grow from there.

But the cat-people appeared in The Voyage Home and the live-action interpretation was awesome-looking! This is my avatar at a Trek forum:

image.php?u=20021&dateline=1278478556

They were quite awesome.

The flaws to the TAS is twofold:

1. It is limited by the puerile and childish stigma forced upon animation in the US.

2. It is limited by the 30 minute (more like 20 minute, minus the commercials) episode length.

With those two provisos in place, it can actually be considered surprisingly good.

After a slow set-up, Taken became an exciting action film chock full of vengeful poetic justice. Liam Neeson is so bad-@ss. It's not worth owning for repeated viewings, but it's definitely worth one viewing. I loved it.

My Star Trek TNG Season 1 viewing through Netflix was interupted by the release of Unknown starring Liam Neeson. It was enjoyable in a similar way to his previous action-thriller vehicle, Taken. Unknown had a little-faster set-up, but a little less action overall. At the start of the film, Liam Neeson's character seems to be a scientist scheduled to speak at a big seminar/convention in Europe but he soon gets into a traffic accident from which he suffers temporary amnesia. The plot develops around him recovering his memories only to discover that his wife claims she doesn't remember him and there is some other man with his identity. As everyone seems to think he is just some nut job, he becomes more certain of his identity and races to uncover what's happened... and the discovery of the truth leads him to attempt to prevent an assasination...

*SPOILER ALERT*

The twist here is that Liam Neeson's character eventually discovers that the identity he thought was his true identity after the accident was actually just a cover and he is really just a profession assassin working as a part of a team which includes the women whose cover was posing as his cover identity's wife. His replacement is another assassin brought in to replace him, assuming his false identity to finish the job he couldn't.

So his memories of his cover identity inexplicably return first but he believed that to be his real identity to the point of him even somehow imagining memories of his marriage and life as the cover identity. And after uncovering his true identity as an assassin, Neeson's character also has an inexplicable change of morality and suddenly he will stop at nothing to prevent the assasination that he had previously been a part of planning. So the movie was still entertaining, but a good bit more far-fetched than Taken. Unknown is definitely not worth owning.

I liked both Taken and Unknown as well. I've got a closet crush on Kruger. And January Jones for that matter. Both in the same movie had my head spinning. I digress, the STORY was good in both of course too :) Out of the two, I liked Taken better. As far as "execution" it had very tight, simple, understandable direction throughout the film; while giving some leeway for emotional acting as well. A grass roots Ronin style action throughout both films. I loved that film Ronin from a while back too (De Niro, etc.). Similar euro style in all of them. Similar no frills euro-action film of late that I absolutely loved was Hanna --> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0993842/ You should catch that if you like this style of film. You will either love it, or hate it. There are not many reviews in-between. Another good Euro style film is "The American". Another love it or hate it film for American audiences.

Edited by Lubidius

I've got a closet crush on Kruger. And January Jones for that matter. Both in the same movie had my head spinning.

Oh yeah, they're hot.

I just got the entire BIRDS OF PREY show as a complete DVD collection.

The entire single season has been ... INTERESTING ... thus far.

The concept seems to be strongly based upon a "World of DC" as shown by the first two Keaton films (Batman/Batman Returns) except that Joker didn't die at the end of the first film.

Batman's suit is Keaton's, plus the Catwoman suit is from Batman Returns.

There isn't a Superman or Flash, or anyone else at all.

No "Justice League".

I really like just how much of the "Batman Mythos" they've managed to actually get into the show.

Plus the Whole "Metahuman" angle which is a recurring theme in DC Comics itself, actually makes a sort of weird sense in the way they are presenting it.

I liked the makeup design they had made for the Joker, even if its only glimpses.

Downside: I hate the theme song chosen for the series.

More downside: the whole thing ends on a cliffhanger????

Even so, not an altogether bad piece of TV.

BONUS: The complete GOTHAM GIRLS webisodes are included as well. Which are damn great and likely not to be found anywhere else.

I also have JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED Season 1 (essentially Season 3 of "Justice League").

Great fun.

At least if one isn't trying to take it all seriously.

So I'm satisfying my love of all things "DC".

These are all animated shows, correct?

The concept seems to be strongly based upon a "World of DC" as shown by the first two Keaton films (Batman/Batman Returns) except that Joker didn't die at the end of the first film.

But please tell me the Penguin is still dead. God how I hate that Batman villain.

These are all animated shows, correct?

Nope, the BIRDS OF PREY was a live action "superheroes as chick-flick material" show.

Supposedly made by the creators of Smallville.

One failed and the other goes 8 seasons.

But please tell me the Penguin is still dead. God how I hate that Batman villain.

So far absolutely no Batman villain has ever made an appearance except for the Joker (in flashbacks) and Doctor Harleen Quinzel (AKA Harley Quinn, except that nobody actually knows that...)

The Penguin as seen in film was pure character assassination, Oswald Cobblepot wasn't ever a freak in the comics.

They really tried too hard to "darken up" the Penguin, I really hated the film version as well.

The Penguin as seen in film was pure character assassination, Oswald Cobblepot wasn't ever a freak in the comics.

They really tried too hard to "darken up" the Penguin, I really hated the film version as well.

I disagree that the character wasn't a freak in any media's version. There is no amount of darkening or lightening of the character that could make me think Penguin is cool. I think

ruined the character for me in the the 60's Batman movie that I saw on TV in my early childhood in the early 70's.

I disagree that the character wasn't a freak in any media's version. There is no amount of darkening or lightening of the character that could make me think Penguin is cool. I think
ruined the character for me in the the 60's Batman movie that I saw on TV in my early childhood in the early 70's.

Jeez, we really saw different films then.

I thought Burgess Meredith truly captured why I like the Penguin.

I loved the image of the Penguin during No Man's Land.

A somewhat thuggish man with aspirations to being of high society and the strange "Mad Max Bartertown" he created at the center of the city.

I see a good number of movies as time allows, so feel free to ask me as desired. As of recently... I HIGHLY recommend the movie Outlander. It really passed quietly through the theaters and was on limited release, so you can download and watch it right now from many sources quite legally. I believe Amazon has it. Very good gamer movie with lots of excellent visuals, cinematic elements, and just the plain fun of a well told adventure.

- J.

Edited by Whill
As this is about a 2008 film, I moved this from the summer movie thread (meant for 2011 films)

I've completed Star Trek: The Next Generation Seasons 1 & 2 through Netflix. I hadn't seen all of those episodes before. Out of the ones I had, I only really liked 3: "The Naked Now", "Datalore" (S1), and "The Emissary" (S2). Even after watching all of them, I have to say most of them were just plain bad. We're talking TOS Season 3 kind of bad!

My viewing of the entire first two season only added a single episode to my "Like" list, "Contagion" (S2). They're in the Romulan Neutral Zone, there's talk of powerful ancient alien technology, the Enterprise's galaxy-class sister ship blows up, and a Romulan warbird comes into range. And that's all just in the Teaser! Now that's the way to open a Star Trek episode! Good episode.

In Season 2, I didn't care for Dr. Pulaski that much, but I never really cared for Dr. Crusher either. I did like the dynamic some episodes had where Picard and Pulaski were at odds with each other ("That women!" exclaims Picard). I liked how Picard didn't like her, and I thought it was refreshing to see someone on Picard's senior staff he often got into conflict with - a nice break from the mutual admiration society that we usually see. A female Dr. McCoy in the 24th century isn't a bad idea for a character, but alas, she didn't do much in the 2 season 2 episodes I liked, so there really weren't any good Pulaski episodes for me to be able to say I actually liked the character. A failed opportunity.

I'm looking forward to start watching TNG Season 3 on Saturday.

This Summer I also watched Fringe Seasons 1-2 (almost done with 2), and I enjoyed every episode (except that bonus episode from the season 2 DVD that was really an unaired epsode from season 1. I'm looking forward to Fringe Season 3 coming out on DVD Tuesday.

I'm looking forward to start watching TNG Season 3 on Saturday.

A month later and I've finished ST:TNG Season 3 this week. I hadn't seen more than half of the episodes, but I was disappointed that I didn't see any new episodes I liked. So it hasn't changed that "Yesterday's Enterprise", "Sins of the Father", "Sarek" and "The Best of Both Worlds" (Part 1) are IMO the only essential episodes from Season 3. When does this series really pick up? Season 6?

On a good note, today I saw a double-feature in the theater. AMC is having a limited 1-week re-release of Star Trek (2009) and Inception on IMAX. I had seen Star Trek in the theater twice but not on IMAX, and I had never seen Inception in the theater at all. Both great flicks to see on IMAX.

Edited by Whill

Honestly, that's about how I always viewed ST:TNG. There were a lot of episodes. There were more than few "good" episodes, much less "very good" episodes.

I think if I went through and watched them again, I'd probably find enough episodes that I liked that I could fill out one entire season. Out of that one season of "good" episodes, there would probably be only about 4 or 5 episodes that were really knock-your-socks-off good.

I, personally, feel that ST:DS9 had a bit more "good" episodes than TNG, but probably less "very good" episodes. I know you don't like Sisko, so you probably won't feel the same and I don't expect you to watch DS9 to find the good episodes. I also feel that DS9 had less "bad" episodes than TNG had. Of course, that doesn't compare to the number of "bad" episodes ST:VOY had. Of course, my dislike of Janeway probably exceeds your dislike of Sisko. ;)

It's been so long since I've watched TNG that I can't rightly say when the next "good" or "very good" episodes will come about. While the later years certainly have some good episodes in them...even a couple of very good episodes...they also had a greater concentration of "bad" episodes to wade through as well.

I wish you luck with the next season.

Star Trek TNG was one of those shows you either really liked or did not because you kept looking for Kirk to show up. The only episodes I can say I truly hated were most of the Holodeck Episodes. A Holodeck Episode always felt like the writers phoned it in, with an extra dose of campy cheese. Really outside of those episodes I over all really enjoyed the series, though it has been so long that I really could not comment on favorite episodes. DS9 was one of the series I never got into simply because of time, unlike Voyager which I just hated. Voyager never seemed to gel for me simply because the actress playing the Captain just could not act to save her life.

Tried watching the Fringe, but like other J.J. Abrams projects I find it derivative, disjointed, and rather predictable. Same reason I stopped watching Lost after Season 1. If I really want everything the Fringe offers I break out X-Files Season 1-5 after which they jumped the shark. Additionally I cant get past the Professor, the character annoys me to no end, though I like the actor and his alternate dimension self is a bad ass.

Currently sticking with Breaking Bad Season 3, Burn Notice Season 4, the rest of the Horatio Hornblower Movies, then onto the Sharpe movies and hoping that someday BBC will make an adaptation of Bernard Cornwell's Saxon Series.

As to actual movies I have seen lately Ironclad is simply the most brutal display of medieval warfare I have found on film. While some of the plot elements drag a bit and seem to be misplaced all in all the actors manage to make it worthwhile. When you start off a movie with a monk getting his tongue cut out by the king and a bunch of Templars killing a shit load of danish mercenaries you know you are in for a river of blood. I got exactly what I expected and wanted from this movie. It even included the recently dismembered corpse of one of the main characters being launched into the air by catapult. It really makes every other period movie I have seen seem tame by comparison.