Jeffrywith1e

What have you been watching lately?

157 posts in this topic

Jeffry, may I ask what the ages of your children are? I have my 9 favorite Young Indy episodes and I plan on showing these to my son when he is older.

He is 7 and she is 5. My wife semi actively home-schools with them, mainly in the Summer. These were a purchase of 75% fan-boy for me and 25% home-school resources for History lessons! (have you seen what's included in these DVDs?! Amazing!)

He is 7 and she is 5. My wife semi actively home-schools with them, mainly in the Summer. These were a purchase of 75% fan-boy for me and 25% home-school resources for History lessons! (have you seen what's included in these DVDs?! Amazing!)

After they were released on DVD, I Netflixed the entire series and watched every episode, and every documentary (all 94!).

Back in the early 90s when the show was still in production, I had read an interview with Lucas where he described his plans for someday releasing every single episode and add episode-relevant documentaries for each one on "digital media". This was before DVDs and I thought he was taking about computer CD-ROMs or something. But years later after I started watching the series, I recalled that article (I may even still have it). It was eerie how accurate Lucas was at describing how DVD technology would work before anyone had it. He described the menus for the Young Indy DVDs a decade and half before the DVDs were produced. But then again Lucas was at the forefront of the digital theatrical projection movement which of course directly impacted the home digital viewing developments which is why we have digital TV broadcast and widescreen HD TVs. Lucas is a genius.

Ever since that article, I wanted to watch all the documentaries because I wanted to learn everything that Lucas wanted to have taught all the way back then. I really liked watching them all and feel much more educated about the early 20th century and surrounding time periods.

As far the episodes themselves, they vary widely in quality and some are just bad. But some were good and when my son is older I plan to show him the good ones. He just turned 5 and I don't think he is ready for a lot of the war and other stuff in them. Your kids must be mature for their ages, and also very disciplined to sit through 30-minute documentaries. Kudos to you and your wife's parenting abilities!

Edited by Whill

We've done one of the episodes so far (when they are in India and China) - which are actually a couple of episodes combined. None of the documentaries yet. But at this point I feel we're sticking with the 1920s when Indy wasn't much older then they are now.

The episodes we watched were interesting in that they were not cliche or typical. And there were plot threads prominently introduced and not resolved at all. Which I felt was unique, mysterious, and actually rather realistic.

I've tried watching Young Indy a couple times, but wasn't really able to get into it. That's probably due to the episodes I was watching, though, if they're hit or miss. Any specific ones either of you would suggest?

For ourselves, we just got around to watching Falling Skies. I really like the first few seasons we've gone through, even if several of the plot twists come off as very forced.

We just got hooked into Orphan Black. Very entertaining so far. Very well made.

Also really enjoying Star Wars Rebels

Since last post the two most remarkable shows that have crossed my radar would be 

Stranger Things     and

Legion (FX)

Those two shows have kind of ruined other shows for me!