Jeffrywith1e

What have you been watching lately?

157 posts in this topic

I've recently gotten into Star Wars: The Clone Wars. Wow. I resisted because of all the reviews talking about how it was dumbed down so to speak for the kids with Anakin's Padawan calling him Sky-Guy, etc. But I finally gave in and gave it a shot. I'm not disappointed. I think the show is excellent. My kids and I are about half way through the first season and I've heard it just gets better.

Other than that, my wife and I really enjoyed BBC's recent Sherlock while we wait for more Doctor Who.

Finished the Rome series last week. Waiting for the new Dexter season, and glad Lost is finally over. I still break out Firefly every month or so.

Mostly stuff streamed from Nextflix or Hulu or some such. I got my wife hooked on Dr. Who, so we're catching up on that. Oh and of course my Max Headroom DVDs. (It only took them 25 years to release that set.)

As far as TV goes we don't watch it much anymore. If it's really good we'll catch it on DVD sooner or later. America's Got Talent seems to be the only thing not in repeats, so we've been watching that more than we probably would normally. (I may be an old Republican, but I'm voting that Prince Poppycock dude through.)

I've watched most of the Star Trek movies this summer.

Well football season is starting up and I follow the Indianapolis Colts, the OSU Buckeyes, the Cincinnati Bengals and the Cleveland Browns. On the History Channel I like to catch The Universe to satisfy the cosmology nerd in me.

My wife, brother, mom, step-dad, father-in-law, mother-in-law and I are all HUGE fans of Big Bang Theory which is about to begin its fourth season on CBS. I'm looking forward to the new show that will folow BBT on Thursday nights, $#*! My Dad Says starring William Shatner. Even since I was a junior high kid in the mid-80's first getting into Star Trek TOS, I have thought that Shatner was a much better actor for comedy than drama. So it all depends on the writing. Good comedy writers should translate to a good show. His character looks like the Archie Bunker of this century.

Over on Fox, my wife and I got into The Human Target, a mid-season replacement last season that was renewed. At the end of last season I became really interested in Fringe so might start watching that. And don't tell anyone, but my wife is turning me into a gleek. It's actually quite humerous in a cornball sort of way.

Edited by Whill
bad link updated

I just finished season 4 of The Wire on DVD. What a sublime piece of TV work there.

Currently following Leverage, Mad Men and Warehouse 13 on TV.

I saw the The Clone Wars pilot movie at the theater and though it didn't blow me away, it wasn't a stinking pile neither. I think it's because they tried to edit 3-4 episodes together to turn it into one movie. And since then after 2 seasons, their animation of characters has gotten better and better to the point where Anakin and Obi-Wan can sometimes communicate with just gestures like rolling of eyes, and make it work. And for a Cartoon Network show, it has quite a bit of body count.

I've been re-watching the old Highlander series. I have to re-down load the second season since most of files won't open. I'd buy the seasons if I could find them locally.

True to my Handle, I'm usually found at the family computer working of SF game stuff while an endless stream of Spongebob, Barbie movies, and Wow wow Wubzy play at low volume from the TV next to me. I did get to watch the two Hellboy movies last weekend while the kids were at Granny's...

I still break out Firefly every month or so.
Yes. My wife and I just rewatched the pilot episode- Serenity. Such a good show. Other than that still watching the first season of Clone Wars. I'm liking Clone Wars more and more.

For fun comedy I highly recommend The Good Guys and if you want some plain old fashioned action-adventure fun the lead-in show Human Target is a good way to kill an hour.

Misfits has been a fun show. This is what I was hoping Heroes was going to be. Thank you, BBC.

Other than that I've been watching John Pertwee Doctor Who. Old school. The introduction of the Master.

The big show my wife and I have been watching is The Walking Dead on AMC. This is an excellent show and not all focused on killing zombies. (and this is coming from someone who is not a horror/zombie movie lover.)

The big show my wife and I have been watching is The Walking Dead on AMC. This is an excellent show and not all focused on killing zombies. (and this is coming from someone who is not a horror/zombie movie lover.)
I finally watched the first episode and agree. It is pretty good. And I, too, am not really into zombie movies. I am, however, a fan of post-apocalyptic movies.

Watched the Inspector Lynley mysteries on DVD a few weeks ago. Pretty interesting. No TV so we get videos from the library.

Did watch "Morning Glory" at the theatre. Like Harrison Ford but the movie is a chick flick. Take your wife. Some possible in game ideas, but nothing to get worked up over.

I'm really enjoying Fringe. I can't believe I just ignored this show for almost two seasons! It's in the same general vien of X-Files in the types of weird things that get investigated, but there are differences. The FBI agents here use contractors in their investigations: an old drug-addled mad scientist and his "son" (the primary male protagonists). Instead of a primary series storyline being about aliens, it's about at least one alternate reality (a not-so-parallel universe). And unlike X-Files, the connection between the realities may be related to many or all of the strange happenings that are investigated (while X-Files clearly had a distinction between its alien mythology episodes and its monster-of-the-week episodes).

Backstory that I've been able to gather: Walter (the mad scientist) had discovered the other reality many years ago. When his son was a child, he was dying from some medical condition. He worked on a cure but didn't come up with it in time to save his son who died. The scientist invaded the other reality and abducted the alternate of his son who was still alive, taking him back to "this" reality and treated him with the cure, to save him. There are different methods for travelling between realities, but he realized the method he used caused rifts in the space-time continuums (or whatever) and so he never returned his alternate's son to the other reality out of fear for destroying one or both of the realities. (He didn't tell his "son" the truth until towards the end of last season.) Walter's alternate in the other reality ("Walternate") knew his son was taken by "this" Walter and he became a very bitter man with a vendetta against the "this" reality. So ironically, the "flawed but means well" Walter of "this" reality made the situation much worse because Walternate declared war on this reality. Walternate, completely lucid and serious (but perhaps still mad), is the Sectretary of Defense or something and he controls the Fringe Agency of his reality in which the wierd happenings are more overt and public than they are in "this" world.

Walternate has a plot to re-assemble a device made up of ancient parts that can possible destroy realities or something. Walter surmises that it may be Atlanteans or some other advanced civilization that may have existed on Earth long ago. The parts to this device are buried in "our" reality (or perhaps both realities). There are ways to communicate between realities and Walternate has agents on this side. His son is somehow needed for this device to work. And the main female protagonist (an FBI agent from "this" reality) was revealed to have a special natural ability to cross-over between realities that she does not totally know how to use.

This show is defintely my current favorite drama and I will inevitable get the first two season to catch up on the show. I'm loving it!

Edited by Whill

And also there might be a third universe (or perhaps an overuniverse?) of Uatu the Watchers - I mean Observers - who are studying both universes for whatever reason, and waiting for certain events to occur that center around the Fringe teams of each universe.

I love Fringe!

95% of the time, I always have something on in the background while I work...

My defaults as of late:

- The Chronicles of Riddick: Dark Fury (Animated)

- The A-Team (I have all 5 seasons, so I'll pop in random episodes)

- Firefly

- The Venture Bros

- The Big Bang Theory - One of the only current shows my girlfriend and I watch together. We have the first three seasons, but unfortunately due to our schedules we've missed most of Season four thanks to the new Thursday timeslot.

- Naked Guns 1, 2 & 1/2, 33 & 1/3 (Thank you Leslie Nielsen!)

Lately I'v mostly been watching the best part about microbiology yeast do it's magic in my fermenter, because well real men make their own beer xD On TV it's mostly been Fringe, Big Bang Theory, Legend of the Seeker(really not "all that good" in relations to the books but I want to see where they take it), Stargate: Universe, Eureka. And giving that I like the last one mentioned I think I will be watching Warehouse 13 when/if it comes here. Sadly I no longer have our version of SyFy which airs Andromeda, Firefly and Babylon 5. Movie vise I had last Sunday/Saturday watching Star Wars, Star Trek, Fan boys(original and remake), Lord of the rings and got a bit nostalgic and watched the Never ending story.

@nairobie - I could not agree more about your beer-statement! What's in your Fermenter?

Last Sunday I had the chance to brew an English Style Pale Ale which has been happily fermenting away for a week. I'll bottle it next week and let it sit for two more as it conditions, that's if the gravity reading checks out okay.

This past Saturday afternoon, I was delighted to recieve an early birthday present, the best I have ever recieved. I was completely unsuspecting to find a surprise birthday party waiting for me at a movie theater. My family and friends had planned this for a month and I totally fell for it.

The big gift? For the second time in my life (the first being in 1981), I had the pleasure of enjoying one of my all-time favorite movies in the theater, Raiders of the Lost Ark, in a private screening with my family and friends. There was popcorn, candy, and soda galore. I also got to hang out with my family and friends as I opened other gifts, before leaving the theater so the party could move to my favorite Italian restaurant for dinner.

It's not the years. It's the milage. :cool:

This past Saturday afternoon, I was delighted to recieve an early birthday present, the best I have ever recieved. I was completely unsuspecting to find a surprise birthday party waiting for me at a movie theater. My family and friends had planned this for a month and I totally fell for it.

The big gift? For the second time in my life (the first being in 1981), I had the pleasure of enjoying one of my all-time favorite movies in the theater, Raiders of the Lost Ark, in a private screening with my family and friends. There was popcorn, candy, and soda galore. I also got to hang out with my family and friends as I opened other gifts, before leaving the theater so the party could move to my favorite Italian restaurant for dinner.

It's not the years. It's the milage. :cool:

How awesome! I remember my first viewing, too. It wasn't in the theater, it was on a small TV hooked to a VCR at our local pizza shop. My dad said it was one of his favorites and that's all it took for me. Later, studying film I now see how masterful Spielberg is/was. It's all around just simply a solid film. You cannot go wrong with Raiders of the Lost Ark.

In the last several years I've come to the conclusion that the Indiana Jones trilogy (ah, heck. even the 4th one) are also my favorite films. A close 2nd is the Mad Max films, but they lack a wholesome something that the Indiana Jones films have. Also, my brother and I seeing The Last Crusade in the theater with my dad and his dad was special in a cheesy American way- Indy and his dad and all.

How lucky we have at least some D6 books covering the franchise.

@nairobie - I could not agree more about your beer-statement! What's in your Fermenter?

Last Sunday I had the chance to brew an English Style Pale Ale which has been happily fermenting away for a week. I'll bottle it next week and let it sit for two more as it conditions, that's if the gravity reading checks out okay.

Right now a cinnamon porter, a bit late to do the Christmas drinks but moving prevented me to do it in a timely fashion, but should end up at a nice 6% abv. Also trying my hands for the first time to clone Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, I don't think its worth the $10/L we get to pay here as i make the same amount for less then $1/L with the right amount, still on the high side but importing hops turned out to be less then cheep. As standing I also have a Lager brewing, and as well I'm attempting a first and brewing it in accordance to the German purity laws.

Note: For those who don't know what the German purity laws entitle. In 1516 it was included in law that in Germany you could only include water, barley, and hops. The same law also said that beer could cost no more then 1-2 Pfennig per Maß(1L glass beer mug) making it the best law in the world. It was thankfully changed 1906 with the discovery of yeast a hundred years earlier.

It was first implemented as a means to stop brewers to raise the price of bread trough the use of wheat and rye. And to top it off as the best law in the world until 1987 in Germany Budwisser couldn't be legally called beer because 30% of the recipe is rice xD

My wife, brother, mom, step-dad, father-in-law, mother-in-law and I are all HUGE fans of Big Bang Theory which is about to begin its fourth season on CBS. I'm looking forward to the new show that will folow BBT on Thursday nights, $#*! My Dad Says starring William Shatner. Even since I was a junior high kid in the mid-80's first getting into Star Trek TOS, I have thought that Shatner was a much better actor for comedy than drama. So it all depends on the writing. Good comedy writers should translate to a good show. His character looks like the Archie Bunker of this century.

Over on Fox, my wife and I got into The Human Target, a mid-season replacement last season that was renewed. At the end of last season I became really interested in Fringe so might start watching that. And don't tell anyone, but my wife is turning me into a gleek. It's actually quite humerous in a cornball sort of way.

TV Guide's Fall TV Scorecard

It's official. Human Target, V and $#*! My Dad Says have all been cancelled. No big loss on the Shatner comedy. It had it's moments and was ok, but not great. And unlike the dramas, there is no vested interest in an ongoing storyline.

V makes me me a little mad. I watched all these early episodes to catch up. It had a slow start but and I thought it was really picking up its pace this season. Yeah it was a little annoying that the visitor characters were frequently killed then miraculously survived or were revised a few episodes later but just when I really start to get interested in the plot and characters, they pull the plug. And it's a flashback to my childhood when they pulled the plug on the original V show. I thought this one was so much better... but alas, it wasn't good enough, at least proportionally to the series' cost (which was higher than your average 1-hour drama).

The loss of Human Target upsets me the most. My wife and I enjoyed every episode. The stories were wildly varied and always included a good amount of suspense and action. And a nice bonus for me was no shortage of hot women, especially Season 2 regular Janet Montgomery. This was another high budget show so its ratings were measured against its cost. Human Target stories were a little more self-contained (the metaplot was not as prominant so the episodes are more stand-alone) than V, but I will still never own either show on DVD.

But the bright side is that I have less shows to follow now. And the good news is, Fringe and The Big Bang Theory have been renewed for another season.