D6 Online 3.0
TinMan

The D6 timeline From Star Wars to Present???

Okay can someone lay out the evolution of the D6 system. I'm getting a bit confused with the different takes on D6 these days since it went open source.

As far as I can tell the timeline minus dates goes something like this:

(Please add in a brief synopsis for games produced after Star Wars, for D6 Fantasy, Adventure and Space maybe someone can tell me why that fell on its ass)

Ghostbusters (Published)

Star Wars 1st Ed (Published)

Star Wars 2nd Ed (Published)

Star Wars 2nd Ed Revised (Published)

The world ends, WEG goes under just before Phantom Menace opens which would have brought tons o money in with the Star Wars license. WEG comes back as a shadow of its former self a few years later.

D6 Fantasy, Adventure and Space (Published)

Open D6 (Internet PDF's Only)

Open D6 Resurrection (Internet PDF's Only)

Mini 6 (Internet PDF's Only)

Cinema 6 (Internet PDF's Only)

Today Random D6 games with different versions of the system but none that are being published in hard form or for profit.

This should cover a lot of the timeline for you... http://griffonpubstudio.com/D6Hist1.html and http://griffonpubstudio.com/D6Hist2.html

Thanks that gave me the dirt on everything up to D6 Fantasy Adventure and Space. Unfortunately since that article was written in Sept of 2004 it doesn't look like much has happened officially from WEG.

Can anyone carry me forward obviously WEG is now doing basically nothing. What is the history with Open D6 to current.

Well, as far as a timeline, Mini Six, while still in PDF form, seems to have made a positive impact on the scene, based on feedback over at RPG.net, and no summary of D6 history would be complete without the myriad events leading up to the eventual (through Lulu) publication of Bill Coffin's Septimus.

Destiny6 and Cinema 6 are in the pipeline, so we shouldn't count them out as PDF only limited successes, especially since C6 is still in Beta and Destiny6 has only been recently announced. Beyond things you seem to know from the original post, there's not a ton to add for the last years of WEG under Eric Gibson. Decent support for the three D6 books soon after they were released, settings like Fires of Amatsumara (sp?) and Bloodshadows... but then a profound and disquieting silence for several years until we reach the present day.

If you are creating a history of the D6 System, you might consider waiting a year - it seems that things are getting underway as we speak on multiple fronts, after a long slumber...

Well, as far as a timeline, Mini Six, while still in PDF form, seems to have made a positive impact on the scene, based on feedback over at RPG.net, and no summary of D6 history would be complete without the myriad events leading up to the eventual (through Lulu) publication of Bill Coffin's Septimus.

Destiny6 and Cinema 6 are in the pipeline, so we shouldn't count them out as PDF only limited successes, especially since C6 is still in Beta and Destiny6 has only been recently announced. Beyond things you seem to know from the original post, there's not a ton to add for the last years of WEG under Eric Gibson. Decent support for the three D6 books soon after they were released, settings like Fires of Amatsumara (sp?) and Bloodshadows... but then a profound and disquieting silence for several years until we reach the present day.

If you are creating a history of the D6 System, you might consider waiting a year - it seems that things are getting underway as we speak on multiple fronts, after a long slumber...

I'm mainly interested in the timeline because other than planning to run a Ghostbusters and also planning to run a D6 Adventure in my own TinMan-Verse I don't know too much about the other versions of D6 beyond mild tid bits.

Mini six from what I have heard and took a few minutes to read is cut down version of the system, something I am not to interested in. Cinema 6 apparently is supposed to be faster paced than even Star Wars 2nd ed revised; I'm not really sure what to think about that.

And Destiny 6 I don't have a clue about it.

Open D6 sounds like an attempt at bringing the system back to the people with the open gaming license's in mind or some sort of grass roots movement.

Then there is Open D6 Resurrection... So what Open D6 failed so now we have a resurrected version of it???

I just want to know what the hell everyone is talking about :-) When these different D6 versions come up.

So I'm looking for quick bare bones synopsis of each of these games.

Edited by TinMan

Yeah, it really depends on what you're trying to get from this. The timeline of products as presented by Peter Schweighofer is pretty thorough. It deals with pretty much all "versions" of D6 released in print format. So that's about as accurate of a listing as you'll find, unless you're looking for every single supplement printed for the various products. If that's the case, you'll have a MASSIVE list as you'll have all of the various supplements and additions during the Star Wars years and then various supplements for many other products all the way up through the 3 core books. About the only product that I can think of not listed that's in print would be D6 Powers and stuff from Khepera Publishing.

As far as the "events" of OpenD6, this is what I've got:

November 29, 2007: First talk of OpenD6 and creating an SRD

March 2008: OpenD6 officially announced

April 2009: Confusion still exists as to what is usable under the OpenD6 OGL

September 2009: Confusion still exists as to what is usable.

December 2009: First version of Mini Six comes out as people begin to work around the use of the term D6 System and OpenD6.

January 2010: Still no STL exists for OpenD6.

February 2010: West End Games website goes down and the phone number for the company is disconnected.

April 2010: Talk of revising the OGL to allow the use of the OpenD6 name and logo.

May 2010: D6 Adventure re-released with an updated version of the OGL allowing the legal use of the OpenD6 name and logo.

May 2010: Septimus is released for free in PDF format under the OpenD6 OGL.

And that takes us to where Cinema6 is announced, originally under a "unique" system and then changed to take part in the OpenD6 community. (Kudos to them for making that decision) Destiny6 has a teaser done for it. Mini Six comes up with a "bare bones" edition for free with plans to do a print version and sell it in the near future.

During that time there was a OpenD6 Resurrected that came about because of the lack of progress for things in OpenD6. The STL and SRD was promised but never materialized. The OpenD6 website was "being worked on" but never came to fruition. So that was the reason for it's existance. Once the OGL got revised for the last time, it made OpenD6 Resurrected relatively moot.

So that's pretty much the basic timeline. What I'm curious about is what sort of confusion are you experiencing and why?

Edited by Grimace
clarified some questions

Yeah, it really depends on what you're trying to get from this. The timeline of products as presented by Peter Schweighofer is pretty thorough. It deals with pretty much all "versions" of D6 released in print format. So that's about as accurate of a listing as you'll find, unless you're looking for every single supplement printed for the various products. If that's the case, you'll have a MASSIVE list as you'll have all of the various supplements and additions during the Star Wars years and then various supplements for many other products all the way up through the 3 core books. About the only product that I can think of not listed that's in print would be D6 Powers and stuff from Khepera Publishing.

As far as the "events" of OpenD6, this is what I've got:

November 29, 2007: First talk of OpenD6 and creating an SRD

March 2008: OpenD6 officially announced

April 2009: Confusion still exists as to what is usable under the OpenD6 OGL

September 2009: Confusion still exists as to what is usable.

December 2009: First version of Mini Six comes out as people begin to work around the use of the term D6 System and OpenD6.

January 2010: Still no STL exists for OpenD6.

February 2010: West End Games website goes down and the phone number for the company is disconnected.

April 2010: Talk of revising the OGL to allow the use of the OpenD6 name and logo.

May 2010: D6 Adventure re-released with an updated version of the OGL allowing the legal use of the OpenD6 name and logo.

May 2010: Septimus is released for free in PDF format under the OpenD6 OGL.

And that takes us to where Cinema6 is announced, originally under a "unique" system and then changed to take part in the OpenD6 community. (Kudos to them for making that decision) Destiny6 has a teaser done for it. Mini Six comes up with a "bare bones" edition for free with plans to do a print version and sell it in the near future.

During that time there was a OpenD6 Resurrected that came about because of the lack of progress for things in OpenD6. The STL and SRD was promised but never materialized. The OpenD6 website was "being worked on" but never came to fruition. So that was the reason for it's existance. Once the OGL got revised for the last time, it made OpenD6 Resurrected relatively moot.

So that's pretty much the basic timeline. What I'm curious about is what sort of confusion are you experiencing and why?

Part of the confusion was being too lazy to get off my ass and simply look at the first thread on the Open D6 page here (just now).

Okay so I'm good with what Open D6 and D6 Resurrection did or tried/trying to do.

Your outline is basically what I am looking for :-)

From my POV I think what is really truely needed here is a company to buy the rights to WEG and D6 and start from scratch.

Streamline Fantasy, Adventure and Space into one core book with Attributes, skills and scales all using the same definitions. Then just produce and or let people produce setting suppliments for it to their hearts content. They may even need to rein in or cancel the OGL so they can make some money or at least only charge a small percentage.

Grass roots is great but I think it is getting out of hand and in the process watering down the system and confusing gamers new and old.

As a Star Wars GM since 1994 I stick my head up and go okay, Fantasy Adventure and Space and say okay I'll buy that but wish it was all one book... Then I see Mini 6, Cinema 6, Destiny 6 and whatever else and just want to run back to my old Star Wars books and my slightly newer and also out of Print Adventure and Space books.

One book to rule them all is my view on this, then suppliment suppliments suppliments IMO.

What is Destiny 6 and how is it going to be different from Cinema 6?

Starting from scratch is basically what each version (so far) is doing. Mini Six is taking a very streamlined direction towards D6. Cinema6 is taking a sort of "cinema" slant in their direction. Similar to the 3 core books, but different in how some things work. Destiny6...well, you'll have to take that up with the person who is working on it. Not a whole lot is known about Destiny6.

Getting out of hand? 3 versions is getting out of hand?

When you consider that the last printed material for D6 was years ago, and when you consider what OpenD6 was supposed to do, three is just the start of what NEEDS to be done. D6 as a system was pretty much non-existant and forgotten save for the small group of loyalists on this site and an ever-shrinking number of D6 Star Wars sites.

Things like Mini Six is getting D6 back out into public view. Without Mini Six, there's only the material that's been printed and out for years. (save for the Septimus PDF, but that's a whole different ball of wax and a different subject entirely). Until Cinema6 comes out, there's only Mini Six and Septimus in PDF that's available for the OpenD6. Hardly too much, by any means.

As far as streamlining Fantasy, Adventure and Space into one book....that can be done by ANYONE using the OpenD6 OGL. You could do it. I could do it. Anyone on this site could do it. AND they could sell it! Just no one has.

One rulebook to rule them all is something that a fair number of people want. It's something that I am personally working on, but I don't have any sort of timeline for release. Someone beats me to it...more power to them! But if no one else does it, I'll do it. Now my version isn't necessarily going to be a verbatim copy of the 3 core books, but it would be a single rulebook to cover all the varieties of games. Sorta like a Mini Six on steroids, if you will.

Gamers won't be "confused". They'll be given choices to play D6 in the way they want to. They want slim and trim, they play with one flavor. They want more movie style, they play another flavor. They want gritty, they play yet another flavor. But at least they would HAVE that choice. Right now, they don't have much of a choice.

We can just hope that one of these various versions of OpenD6 comes out with a setting that people can really latch on to and then you can get those supplements, supplements, supplements that you're looking for. But right now it's a developmental stage so people can see what all D6 can actually do, as well as demonstrate that D6 ISN'T dead and that new things are on the horizon. If you want to have one and only one...then pick one! Just pick one and hope that whomever is putting it out is going to come out with a whole lot of material for it.

As far as variables, though, I say "bring it on!"

I'll add a question: Is there an SRD in the making or is that idea abandoned. Seems like if we want one, we have to make one. Is that about the size of it?

There is no official plans for an SRD, to my knowledge. If you want one, there's one done up for Fantasy (called Six Sided Fantasy), or you can make your own.

Minor point on Mini Six, it never would have happened if the OpenD6 trademark had materialized by December of 2009.

We were excited by OpenD6; we just wanted to make settings, but lacked a way to refer to the rules. Things grew from there because of so much positive feedback... Now we're finally able to work on settings and the trademark woes have been resolved, but Mini Six has taken a life of it's own. We're looking forward to OpenD6 in a big way.

In general we've gotten great support from people all over the gaming landscape, but it's been especially satisfying when we've heard from people who say they've discounted OpenD6 (and it's parent trademark) as "dead," or even better, we've got people interested who've never heard of the system.

We wish everyone involved in OpenD6, from the small timers like us to more ambitious projects like Cinema6 and Destiny6 lots of luck. We're digging all of these projects.

There is no official plans for an SRD, to my knowledge. If you want one, there's one done up for Fantasy (called Six Sided Fantasy), or you can make your own.
Ok. That's good. I am working on my own. Basing it on the three core books.

Starting from scratch is basically what each version (so far) is doing. Mini Six is taking a very streamlined direction towards D6. Cinema6 is taking a sort of "cinema" slant in their direction. Similar to the 3 core books, but different in how some things work. Destiny6...well, you'll have to take that up with the person who is working on it. Not a whole lot is known about Destiny6.

Getting out of hand? 3 versions is getting out of hand?

When you consider that the last printed material for D6 was years ago, and when you consider what OpenD6 was supposed to do, three is just the start of what NEEDS to be done. D6 as a system was pretty much non-existant and forgotten save for the small group of loyalists on this site and an ever-shrinking number of D6 Star Wars sites.

Things like Mini Six is getting D6 back out into public view. Without Mini Six, there's only the material that's been printed and out for years. (save for the Septimus PDF, but that's a whole different ball of wax and a different subject entirely). Until Cinema6 comes out, there's only Mini Six and Septimus in PDF that's available for the OpenD6. Hardly too much, by any means.

As far as streamlining Fantasy, Adventure and Space into one book....that can be done by ANYONE using the OpenD6 OGL. You could do it. I could do it. Anyone on this site could do it. AND they could sell it! Just no one has.

One rulebook to rule them all is something that a fair number of people want. It's something that I am personally working on, but I don't have any sort of timeline for release. Someone beats me to it...more power to them! But if no one else does it, I'll do it. Now my version isn't necessarily going to be a verbatim copy of the 3 core books, but it would be a single rulebook to cover all the varieties of games. Sorta like a Mini Six on steroids, if you will.

Gamers won't be "confused". They'll be given choices to play D6 in the way they want to. They want slim and trim, they play with one flavor. They want more movie style, they play another flavor. They want gritty, they play yet another flavor. But at least they would HAVE that choice. Right now, they don't have much of a choice.

We can just hope that one of these various versions of OpenD6 comes out with a setting that people can really latch on to and then you can get those supplements, supplements, supplements that you're looking for. But right now it's a developmental stage so people can see what all D6 can actually do, as well as demonstrate that D6 ISN'T dead and that new things are on the horizon. If you want to have one and only one...then pick one! Just pick one and hope that whomever is putting it out is going to come out with a whole lot of material for it.

As far as variables, though, I say "bring it on!"

I thought there were more than just 3 versions

I thought besides the 3 Star Wars variants there was Open D6 as a system, Open D6 Resurrection then Mini 6 Cinema 6 and now Destiny 6 plus what ever else people are or were working on as system varients.

Maybe I'm still thinking in terms of real books on a shelf in game stores. That line of thought would say in this current consumer market; One book that combines no more than 3 versions of the core rules 1 a simple very fast Mini 6 type, 2 a slightly more rules heavy Cinema 6 and then I guess 3 a more traditional set like D6 Adventure, Space & Fantasy. Basically Easy, Medium and Difficult levels of game play (not that I find the last 3 core books difficult, just not aligned well with each other)

Then from that core systems book go to town on settings and even supplements based off licenses like Star Wars (if Hasbro ever drops it), Star Trek, Indiana Jones, Super hero stuff Men in Black...basically whatever the company could get it's hands on to bring players and money in.

But since we have no company and no investor we'll be sticking with grass roots initiatives, which is after all better than nothing and hopefully will generate enough Internet interest to get the attention of somebody with cash and brains to get some books back on the shelves.

Then from that core systems book go to town on settings and even supplements based off licenses like Star Wars (if Hasbro ever drops it)

They did drop it. May 2010 was the last time they could produce new material and August 2010 was the cutoff for getting backstock out of their warehouse if they wanted to sell it. You'll notice that their site no longer has any links for the setting.

They did drop it. May 2010 was the last time they could produce new material and August 2010 was the cutoff for getting backstock out of their warehouse if they wanted to sell it. You'll notice that their site no longer has any links for the setting.

They are no longer making books or even supporting them but the word on the street is Hasbro is still holding the rights to certain Star Wars products which includes table top RPG's.

Once that is dropped (if ever) a D6 company of sufficient size could buy the rights maybe even re-print the old WEG Star Wars suppliments IF the proper deals could be made.

Wizards of the Coast, a subsidiary of Hasbro, has let the license for role-playing games lapse. Hasbro, however, still holds the rest of its licensing through 2018.

http://www.allbusiness.com/retail-trade/4296327-1.html

Probably a good idea to find other licenses, if that's the route you're planning, or start saving up your hard-earned pay (or lining up investors) to make a play for the RPG licensing in eight years...

Hasbro has an exclusivity agreement with Lucas for the Star Wars licensing rights, starting back in 1999 (as of 2003 was renewed to 2018). When I worked on Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds for WotC (Amazon link here), there were all sorts of papers we had to sign to keep a lid on all things Star Wars. Many of which included the possible demise of the RPG. Bottom line, the WotC version of the game sold poorly in comparison with the d6 version (and Saga was even worse than the d20 version). GL keeps things pretty close to his chest in regards to Star Wars, and Hasbro has always been pretty big on counting all their beans. And, when the beans going out don't justify the meager beans coming in (on top of the game getting poor reviews in the mass media), it's no wonder that the d20 and Saga Jedi have gone the way of Yoda.

And (by-the-by), thank you for mentioning Destiny6 around here (we like being pimped). It does include a way to mesh Fantasy, Adventure, and Space D6 together pretty well and includes a conversion appendix into and out of Destiny6. If anyone has any questions regarding Destiny6 and how it relates to OpenD6, please don't hesitate to squeeze my brain for all the juicy d6 goodness by e-mail, posting on the Dolmen Creative forums, posting here, private messenger, blood rites, smoke signals, fairy-clapping, or ritual sacrifice.

Hasbro has an exclusivity agreement with Lucas for the Star Wars licensing rights, starting back in 1999 (as of 2003 was renewed to 2018). When I worked on Geonosis and the Outer Rim Worlds for WotC (Amazon link here), there were all sorts of papers we had to sign to keep a lid on all things Star Wars. Many of which included the possible demise of the RPG. Bottom line, the WotC version of the game sold poorly in comparison with the d6 version (and Saga was even worse than the d20 version). GL keeps things pretty close to his chest in regards to Star Wars, and Hasbro has always been pretty big on counting all their beans. And, when the beans going out don't justify the meager beans coming in (on top of the game getting poor reviews in the mass media), it's no wonder that the d20 and Saga Jedi have gone the way of Yoda.

And (by-the-by), thank you for mentioning Destiny6 around here (we like being pimped). It does include a way to mesh Fantasy, Adventure, and Space D6 together pretty well and includes a conversion appendix into and out of Destiny6. If anyone has any questions regarding Destiny6 and how it relates to OpenD6, please don't hesitate to squeeze my brain for all the juicy d6 goodness by e-mail, posting on the Dolmen Creative forums, posting here, private messenger, blood rites, smoke signals, fairy-clapping, or ritual sacrifice.

Hey that sounds great!

So yeah, can you tell us a bit about Destiny 6?

Is it going to be on the shelves or is it just a PDF?

Any release date?

How is it going to differ from Star Wars D6, Fantasy, Adventure and Space?

@TinMan: A lot of your answers are on Destiny6's kickstarter project: http://kck.st/bQYprH

They, like us, have a ways to go in terms of getting funding. We'd REALLY love to see all the d6 projects out there get funding. It would rock - that and the potential for d6 is so much more than other gaming systems, which while good for very specific genres, have complexities or are too vague to apply across multiple genres. I think everyone contributing to the OpenD6 movement knows this and sees that deficit in the gaming community. That http://www.kickstarter.com site is going to do well to help any ambitious projects move forward, I implore everyone to go take a look and help fund those projects they are interested. There's several gaming projects on there. I recently supported a project out of California that is going to publish Open Source, for free, personal and commercial use Caricatures for game and personal development. You can see it here: http://kck.st/dogX5W

Finally - before I finish ranting - a free gaming community is great, but if we want to see d6 as a competitive system again, we MUST have commercial products identifiable from the mass-media. This means we we must have products being sold, and products, subsequently competitive under some movie or television show, etc., that share profits and canon with a game, otherwise competing with D&D and WoW will never be viable.

Okay - I'm done now.

- Jeremy

So yeah, can you tell us a bit about Destiny 6? Is it going to be on the shelves or is it just a PDF? Any release date? How is it going to differ from Star Wars D6, Fantasy, Adventure and Space?

I certainly don't want to high-jack the thread (I like the historical timeline that's being mapped out and the business/political discussion about who owns what), so if you'd like to learn more about Destiny6, please visit this thread. And yes, we'd certainly appreciate any support we can get to our Kickstarter Project. If we get the support we need for the Kickstarter Project, then we can afford a high-quality printing of the book (instead of doing a Lulu print-on-demand, which is notoriously expensive-nearly triple the cost of a conventional printer).

Does The D6 System: The Customizable Roleplaying Game - 1996 (aka the D6 "Cookbook") need to go somewhere in the timeline?

I enjoyed that book a lot.