Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
zack zenobi

Axioms and World Laws, Oh My!

10 posts in this topic

I have a question. Do we think it would be possible for a World Law to affect an Axiom?

I am thinking of a World Law that raises the Magic Axiom at night. The idea is that the world believes that things do go bump in the night.

Ideas, questions, comments, insults?

I don't see why not. You could even make it more varied, with the axiom level tied to the moon phase, or even go gonzo and have it tied to multiple planetary alignments with different combinations yielding higher and higher axiom levels, sort of like the Nile's planetary alignment rules. Every night magic is possible and creatures come out of the woodwork. But every X months or years or whatever, the magic axiom goes through the roof. Of course, if that axiom is high enough the chaos that might ensue with just one night of such power available could drastically alter the state of the cosm for the next X years, until the next alignment when it all happens again.

Tharkold had the World Law that affected the social Ax.

I'm certain there were similar in other books that I can't at this moment recall.

The Land Below's Law of Wonders allows buildings that exceed the Tech axiom. The sourcebook says that it's because of the Nile's engineering skill, which isn't tied to a World Law, but then neither is the Weird Science skill which allows up to Tech 33 devices in the Nile Empire. Orrorsh's occult can operate at a higher Magic axiom, and its sourcebook mentions as an aside that this has something to do with the Power of Corruption. And like Skel said, Tharkold's Law of Ferocity limited non-violent social interaction to Social axiom 12.

The World Laws weren't written with a lot of consistency or balance in mind. They seem to be just jury-rigged rules to describe the feel of the cosms, and so if you should feel free to write whatever World Laws you like if they can acheive that. Having the Magic axiom go up at night sounds interesting: it reminds me of the rules in Aysle where different kinds of spells get bonuses depending on what constellations are ascendent. How about if the Spirit axiom also goes up and down with the phases of the moon?

There was another thread where the overall quality of World Laws as well as the overall PURPOSE of the World Laws (which affected their quality) were touched upon.

World Laws were proposed as an expression of the Tropes inherent in the Cosm.

If the night is "mysterious and magical", then I'd easily see a rise of maybe even more than a point perhaps.

Maybe even a few other pertinent bonuses as well, in order to accentuate the mysteriousness.

The rulebook stated that the Magic axiom is flexible enough that it can vary by up to a few points just based on specific events and occurrences, so a WL which amplifies that effect is perfectly reasonable.

Ok well that is good news. This is part of my plan for a Contemporary Fantasy Reality. I was calling it Urban Fantasy and then realized that would mean the entire would we be one large city.

Does anybody have any other good ideas for WL's on a Contemporary Fantasy Reality?

"Sufficiently Advanced Magic is Indistinguishable from Science," The Tech Axiom could be relatively "modern" (Tech 21 - 23) but its wholly supported by the Magic Axiom as its really "Magic" rather than "Technology".

Thus all Technology from this Cosm beyond a certain level is a 1-case contradiction elsewhere at the very least, or a 4-case if the requisite Magic Axiom minimum is lacking.

Thus Magic "grows up" into a more mature rendition to the classic "I cast spells".

Urban Fantasy/Modern Magic (ala Harry Dresden, et. al.)? Some sort of "supernatural exists but norms remain ignorant" would seem to be required. Otherwise, it becomes GURPS Technomancer or Magitech. "Secret Supernatural"

Other WL's would vary based on the type of UF setting you want. More horrorish (World of Darkness)? More magical (Dresden)?

My advice would be to write the cosm you want, exactly the way you want, forgetting axioms and WL's. then, when you're finished, pick axioms and pick WL's that match what you want.

Some good resources:

TV Tropes: Urban Fantasy

TV Tropes: The Masquerade (Keeping the supernatural secret.)

If you think about it, axioms are just a generalized version of world laws. Orrorsh has a middling magic axiom, except for the Occult, and the Nile Empire has a mediocre tech axiom, except for Weird Science. You could re-write the game to not need axioms, if you wanted, but you couldn't do away with the world laws.