D6 Online 3.0
Whill

Baby Shower Gifts

Today my wife and I had our first (of 3) baby showers, and even though we got a couple big ticket items (like a car seat), we were also given tons of other stuff (that we are extremely thankful for). The gifts I think are the most cool are the two Star Wars-related gifts we recieved from my sister-in-law. Below is the Star Wars onesie I scanned. I like how it is all retro 70's looking.

50c7ba9963346cd272d4b39dd75e865e5g.jpg

We also recieved Star Wars bath toys, an 7-character set with: Darth Vader, Yoda, Threepio, Artoo, Chewie, a stormtrooper, and Boba Fett.

I didn't even know stuff like this existed! Way cool. :cool:

Edited by Whill
dislexic typo

Heh heh. You know you're a geek when not only do you think the neatest gifts are Star Wars related gifts, but you also take the time to scan one in to share with people. :)

Neat stuff, Whill! Now you just need a Star Wars blanket and towel set to go along with everything!

lol, yeah I know I'm a Star Wars nerd/fanboy, but believe it or not I actually wan't planning on getting anything Star Wars-related for my baby. The gifts were a neat surprise. Obviously the gifts were more for Daddy than for the baby.

I think Star Wars films are a bit too mature for young children, and they include a few things that may be distrubing young minds, so I wasn't planning on even introducing Star Wars to my kids until they each demonstrate an appropriate maturity level to handle it.

Scary red and back tatoo-faced horned villains, nurmerous limbs getting cut off, aunts and uncles burnt to a crisp, decapitations in rage, heroes that turn evil and kill children, heroes fighting each other, lava-melty former-heroes screaming they hate another hero while the other hero leaves him to suffer, etc. Nothing a toddler or even a small child should see.

I guess I'll eventually have to invest in the more kid-friendly realm of Star Wars, like the Ewoks and Droids cartoons from the 80's. I think those are available on DVD now.

Edited by Whill

My favorite onesie my son got - a gift from some friends of my wife - is a picture of Yoda, and beneath it it says "Taller than Yoda I am."

Nerd friends watch out for each other!

I had forgotten how violent Star Wars really was until I thought about showing it to my daughter.

aunts and uncles burnt to a crisp,

This was the one that got me. Not to mention jawa bodies being stacked on a funeral pyre, arms getting cut off, tauntauns getting devoured, people being frozen with grimaces of pain, etc.

Thanks, guys.

Well, we know what Whill will be playing with in the bathtub now. :) \sw\

I wouldn't be allowed even if I wanted to. I got in trouble with my wife for using a little waste basket meant for the baby's room, when the baby is not yet born. Bad Whill, lol. I'm not even going to open the package the Star Wars bath toys came in until he is old enough for the bath tub...

Whill: "Please Mom, please can we open the Star Wars bath toys!"

Whill Jr.: "Daddy, what's Star Doors?"

I had forgotten how violent Star Wars really was until I thought about showing it to my daughter... Not to mention jawa bodies being stacked on a funeral pyre, arms getting cut off, tauntauns getting devoured, people being frozen with grimaces of pain, etc.

Good points, all. It does have "Wars" in the title, afterall. How old's your daughter?

I watched the original Star Wars in the theater when I was about 6, and I turned out OK. Before that, I'm now not sure when would be a good age. I guess it depends on the kid and I'll just have to figure it out when the time comes (that's what parental guidance means). I've also debated with myself about what order to have my kids watch them in, but that's a question for another thread...

Good points, all. It does have "Wars" in the title, afterall. How old's your daughter?

I watched the original Star Wars in the theater when I was about 6, and I turned out OK. Before that, I'm now not sure when would be a good age. I guess it depends on the kid and I'll just have to figure it out when the time comes (that's what parental guidance means). I've also debated with myself about what order to have my kids watch them in, but that's a question for another thread...

My daughter's 7. She could probably handle it now, but she has absolutely no interest in sci fi, sadly. And this is my baby who at age 2 would sit in my lap, look through the Star Wars picture book with me, and name off AT-AT, Jabba, Leia, R2-D2, Chewbacca, etc. Such promise. . .:)

As an aside, I was watching tons of stuff when I was her age that I probably shouldn't have been watching. You know even Gremlins which seemed pretty tame had me cringing because of the language. I just didn't remember all the "g*&da&n Japs" and "g*&da&n foreign cars" the neighbor kept spouting off about. :)

I refuse to accept the possbility that my son won't be interested in Star Wars. Maybe he won't have my level of interest, but my operating theory is that at least all boys go through a phase in which they would be interested in Star Wars. If you saw my living room (read: finished basement, not to be confused with "my wife's living room" upstairs), then you would also find it hard to believe that someone could be raised in such a Star-Wars-oriented enviromnent and not gain any interest. I'm more worried about the opposite happening, that my kids will think it is all overkill and rebel against it, so I am defintely not going to cram Star Wars down their throats at any age.

My theory is, I won't have to. "Build it, and they will come", or rather, "Show it and they will watch." :cool:

My girls are 10 and 8. They may not have as much enthusiasm for Star Wars as my wife and I, but they still enjoy it in their own way. They love the "robots." my oldest has claimed C-3PO as "hers" and my youngest gleefully adopted R2-D2 as "hers."

So whenever the two droids appear on screen, they both shout "There's my robot!" It's cute, to say the least.

Sadly, Pikachu elicites more excitement from them. Oh well, at that age, I was all crazy for Transformers. *shrug*

My girls are 10 and 8. They may not have as much enthusiasm for Star Wars as my wife and I, but they still enjoy it in their own way. They love the "robots." my oldest has claimed C-3PO as "hers" and my youngest gleefully adopted R2-D2 as "hers."

So whenever the two droids appear on screen, they both shout "There's my robot!" It's cute, to say the least.

Yes, cute! :)