D6 Online 3.0
BenyG

Who owns TORG now?

I saw the post from Eric saying that he was in the final negotiations with another company who would get the TORG license. That was months ago. Does anyone know who owns it now?

BennyG

I don't believe there's been any official announcement about the new owner. Hopefully it'll be soon - Eric does pop in from time to time, and the new owners are probably aware that there are a lot of TORG fans here, so one or the other should, with any luck, make an appearance!

The question on my mind is more of, "How long before they are truly ready to start publishing TORG?"

As they are only JUSTRECENTLY buying the property, it could be another 2 to 3 years before we could even hope to see product.

In respect to the marketing plans of the new owners, I'll not be announcing who the buyers are unless and until I am asked to do so by them, or until I've heard of them going public on the matter themselves.

So we have to wait until they even step forward to acknowledge that TORG isn't in some LIMBO before we can even begin to hope to see product.

Make it more like 5 years before we see any new TORG products.

Make it more like 5 years before we see any new TORG products.

Don't be so pessimistic. Someone paid for it. Surely they won't want to wait until the existing fan base all dies of old age before doing something with it.

Don't be so pessimistic. Someone paid for it. Surely they won't want to wait until the existing fan base all dies of old age before doing something with it.

I'm NOT thinking that they're going to sit on it like a gang of chuckleheads, I'm thinking that making books TAKES TIME.

If they aren't even ready to reveal themselves, that is a very strong indicator that the company itself is still being organized and they aren't even READY yet to start working on books.

1. Finish Organizing the Company such as advertising campaigns and other minutiae [hours or days all the way to MONTHS.]

2. Re-evaluate the system and edit in roughly 15 years worth of hindsight (potentially several different lists that require being merged together) [At least several months.]

3. Take finished system and begin redesigning the COSMS based upon the new rules. [up to a full year perhaps?]

4. Revise or update the rules to reflect decisions made during the Cosm design. [several Months at the very least.]

5. Write up the COSMS in worldbooks plus extensive editing and playtesting. [several more months I hope, so as to offer a well designed finished product]

6. Advertising campaign launching TORG2. [At least 1 month, more like 2 months.]

All of which assumes a full team of at least 6 to 10 people and a current income stream allowing them to work at the project without concerns for running up hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt.

If there is less people and/or they must allocate at least some time to making a separate income, the time required could double or triple.

Thanks Eric, for the update.

If you don't mind me asking did they buy the entire TORG property from you or just a piece? (i.e. digital publishing rights for video games, or non-print media, etc...)

I am with skel on this one. If we see a product in the short term, either they pretty much had a product in place and just needed the intellectual property or they threw together a piece of garbage and slapped a TORG logo on it. I highly doubt the first as most people won't work on something without the knowledge that their work will come to fruition and I hope the latter isn't what we get. I would rather them take 5 years and put out a fantastic TORG product than to slap together a crappy system to try and make money off of it.

BennyG

Apologies to the group... please generally disregard this post - Except Eric Gibson... :)

Eric, I sent you a private message about TORG - but have not heard back. I am posting to this general forum in case you have perhaps not seen it and will see this instead. Could you please let me know about the issue I discussed in the Private Message?

Thank you! :)

I would rather them take 5 years and put out a fantastic TORG product than to slap together a crappy system to try and make money off of it.

Caveat: I don't play TORG, don't own any books for it, and only vaguely know what it's about. But what I am getting from this thread is that if the new TORG owners put out something quickly, people will assume it's crap, and if they take too long, people will bitch because they had to wait. Geez, guys. Can't we ease up just a little? Someone cared enough about the game to pay for it. Can't we just hope they come out with a good game, as soon as possible? Send some positive energies that way, maybe, and encourage them (whoever they are), rather than setting up all these negative expectations?

I don't want to come off like a Pollyanna, here. I know that no matter what the new TORG folks do, someone will bitch about it. And sure, despite their best intentions, they may well come out with a "piece of garbage" and "crappy system". But isn't it a little too early to jump to those conclusions? Is it too much to ask for a little optimism?

Caveat: I don't play TORG, don't own any books for it, and only vaguely know what it's about. But what I am getting from this thread is that if the new TORG owners put out something quickly, people will assume it's crap, and if they take too long, people will bitch because they had to wait. Geez, guys. Can't we ease up just a little? Someone cared enough about the game to pay for it. Can't we just hope they come out with a good game, as soon as possible? Send some positive energies that way, maybe, and encourage them (whoever they are), rather than setting up all these negative expectations?

I played TORG when it first came out. Bought all the books as they expanded and eventually stopped. TORG was in many ways revolutionary with its usage of the deck for randomness as well as the combinations of genre in one relatively cohesive background. It really wowed me and from the first time I played it, I fell in love with it, or maybe better to say the idea of it. After some time with the game you start to see all the things wrong with it. This invariably happens with every game system, with few exceptions. Most systems come out with a second edition to address these issues. Most of us Torg fans have been waiting for that second edition for well over a decade. In that timespan we have had dozens of teases and promises about a Torg 2.0, none of which came to fruition.

That all being said, I still want a new Torg. But for you to ask us to be optimistic or even less bitter is, I'd argue, an unrealistic request. And I rarely get involved in this. I have basically lurked at the edges trying not to get my hopes up. I can't imagine how bitter I'd be if I was here talking it up and joining in on a regular basis.

BennyG

Who owns Torg now?

I do! I do!

(Okay, I don't own the IP, but a friend of mine gave me a tattered original boxed set. It has all the cards in the drama deck which is a nice bonus.)

Anyone have an index for Torg? I think I have the 1st Ed of the game and not the R&E, but I wanted to check. Thanks in advance!

I still want a new Torg

I want a new Torg

One that won't go away

One that won't keep me up all night

One that won't make me sleep all day

A Torg that won't make me nervous

Wondering what to do

A Torg that makes me feel like I feel when I'm with you

When I'm alone with you

Playin' Torg with you baby

Edited by Whill

Well, Eric didn't want to make it and we didn't know this forum existed so we couldn't .... right, it's about the announcement who owns TORG now. Around 2 months ago Eric sold all rights to the German company:

Ulisses Spiele GmbH

Industriestr. 11

D-65529 Waldems-Steinfischbach

We are the publishers of "Das Schwarze Auge", the biggest German fantasy rpg and we also publish the German version of Paizo's Pathfinder rpg.

Well, as non-native English language speakers we are not really prepared to do a new English language version of TORG so - as you can imagine - we will have to look for a licensee for that. But that's still in the future since right now we are still desperately waiting for all the TORG material Eric has promised to send us a while ago. Artwork, contracts, books ... Without knowing what there is it's hard to make plans ... So if anybody is in contact with good old Eric and could get him to finally deliver all that material, that would be the first step towards a new and more successful TORG ... :)

Well, Eric didn't want to make it and we didn't know this forum existed so we couldn't .... right, it's about the announcement who owns TORG now. Around 2 months ago Eric sold all rights to the German company:

Ulisses Spiele GmbH

Industriestr. 11

We are the publishers of "Das Schwarze Auge", the biggest German fantasy rpg and we also publish the German version of Paizo's Pathfinder rpg.

Well, as non-native English language speakers we are not really prepared to do a new English language version of TORG so - as you can imagine - we will have to look for a licensee for that.

Welcome to the forum, and thank you for the big news! Best wishes.

But that's still in the future since right now we are still desperately waiting for all the TORG material Eric has promised to send us a while ago. Artwork, contracts, books ... Without knowing what there is it's hard to make plans ... So if anybody is in contact with good old Eric and could get him to finally deliver all that material, that would be the first step towards a new and more successful TORG ... :)

Sorry to hear about the trouble.

I've heard of "Das Schwarze Auge" but have never come across a copy of Fanpro's English translation, "The Dark Eye", so don't know much about it. I'll have to look harder so I can see what we might be able to expect for Torg!

Of course, now I fear that I'll need to learn German to even hope to see "TORG2" in my lifetime.

:mad: "rassen frassen" :mad: :fight:

But that's still in the future since right now we are still desperately waiting for all the TORG material Eric has promised to send us a while ago. Artwork, contracts, books ... Without knowing what there is it's hard to make plans ... So if anybody is in contact with good old Eric and could get him to finally deliver all that material, that would be the first step towards a new and more successful TORG ... :)

Eric Gibson does occasionally read these forums so perhaps he will see this reminder to send you the material he has. Best wishes in your endeavors and please keep us posted of any plans or progress, including even those in Deutsch (but please post any news or announcements here in Englisch). Thanks.

This is great news. Being a german player I know Das Schwarze Auge and Ulisses Spiele quite well (though not personally) and I am very optimistic now. I have to admit, though Das Schwarze Auge was the first game I played and GMed, I don't like it. But I have to admit it is very professionally administered. So we can expect equal professional work for Torg. They do not have much games on the shelves so they will have put the right thoughts into buying Torg. They have Space Gothic, an SF-Game I really love, and they surely knew what they did when they bought this one in 2007 (think about Star Wars with Corporate Intrigue, Horror and a big piece of Paranoia thrown into the lot). I can't tell you much about the other RPGs they offer, Pathfinder, Iron Kingdoms and Dungeon Crawl Classics but they sound interesting. All I heard this is a company that is working very professionally and as it has not many RPG products, I am sure they will not let the Torg IP collect dust. As the german RPG market is very small I do assume they will already consider an english version. All in all, as I see it this is very good news.

Well, as non-native English language speakers we are not really prepared to do a new English language version of TORG so - as you can imagine - we will have to look for a licensee for that. But that's still in the future since right now we are still desperately waiting for all the TORG material Eric has promised to send us a while ago. Artwork, contracts, books ... Without knowing what there is it's hard to make plans ... So if anybody is in contact with good old Eric and could get him to finally deliver all that material, that would be the first step towards a new and more successful TORG ... :)

It's good to hear the line is in capable and experienced hands... although the licensing issues for the English version of an originally English game feel artificially peculiar. And disheartening, considering the issues TORG had in distribution channels the first time.

PleaseohpleaseohPLEASE tell me you're hanging onto the Drama Deck concept. The "approved action" system and the wheeling and dealing for bonuses made the action at the table almost as frenetic as what was going on in the game.

Well, if Ulisses Spiele are paying attention, don't forget to give this thing a whack in the MMORPG medium. I'm glad to see the game is not entirely dead, as yet, and hopefully any new version would come out in time for me to be truly tired with Warhammer FRP.

For my part, I still believe the original rules are just fine, except for glass-jaw ninja, and I like the additions made by Jim. Were it up to me, Eric, Jim, and (sorry, don't know his real name) Skeloric would remain in the middle of any new development. What I would like to see is the release like it was done for the original game... a nice box set with the rules, world, and adventure book, the drama deck and one very ugly dice. After that, re-package and sell the original adventures, sources, and Infiniverse. I would also like to see the original cosms come back, perhaps with a minor amount of improvement tweaking, but not enough that the realm is a completely different animal.

Finally, failing an MMO contract of any sort, build a web site dedicated to fighting the Possibility Wars so that, as was done through the Infiniverse, GMs can submit reports about their party's adventures with the war, affecting any future outcome. I think it's time for the new generation to become involved with wide-world gaming, only this time the internet exists and it will make things, likely, all that much easier. I would even help in concept development for a web site.

Does anyone have any information about this? Is there any updates?

Anyone have any contact info? I checked the Ulisses Spiele site and even left a message on the forums, but I can't find a "e-mail questions here" link anywhere.

Anyone have any contact info?

Ulisses Spiele GmbH

Industriestr. 11

Does anyone have any information about this? Is there any updates?

They are waiting on Eric Gibson to send them published TORG products. I think that pretty much says it all.

Edited by Whill