Jump to content
D6 Online 3.0
Lubidius

Sleepers Awake : Dreams Of A Petal Throne - Chapter 1

Recommended Posts

[[sorry - Hanúmal is sort of difficult to describe. Facially he's got eyes and overall facial structure like Al Pacino in his younger days, with a broken nose like Roy Scheider, and a physique typical of a Kuruthúni, that is to say somewhat broad of chest and strong of limb - picture Stallone in his eighties Rocky/Rambo days. I'd compiled a collection of photos for an attempt at a sketch, but it never came to pass...

 

http://s577.photobucket.com/albums/ss219/Pegasus_XO/Hanumal%20PhysRep/

 

So, he's handsome in a kind of odd battered way, but seems somewhat distant behind the initial veneer of cordiality. He doesn't get close to people anymore. The past nine years have aptly demonstrated the dangers of that practice.

 

Perhaps I'll take the time to write that up in less Hollywood-driven terms for use in the thread! Good idea, no?]]

Edited by Lee Torres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As the Nosalas makes its way out of the Jakallan harbor, the ship slowly turns around a nearby jetty. As the ship rounds the bend, it stops short of leaving the waterway. A small boat, rowed by several cloaked men approaches, hailing the ship. The Captain Aljari looks overboard with purpose, nodding back over to two of his officer's to come to his side. As they chat, one of the officers makes way to the side of the ship where the small boat approaches. You see one man, chained and bound, cloaked to hide his identity led up to the side of the ship by a man none other then Jathali, the man that Hrúgash Thayéng had spoken of as the primary "leader" of the imperial expedition. As they enter the boat, Jathali gives a nod to Hanumal, a small note of recognition. Jathali says to the officers, "Please, take this man below. He is to remain bound, but treat him lightly. His disposition remains, delicate"..

 

The Nosalas then begins it's journey onwards. There is plenty to do aboard the ship, even for landlubbers. Chores are given to everyone that wish to keep their sea legs active. Several rotations of the moons occurs as the Nosalas slowly bounds it's way along and past the border with Salarvya. It is a week's time past since you've left port now. The rations are slowly dwindling, and the Captain remarks that you will make port in Salarvya within a day's time.

 

As your boat meanders the shoreline on the night before your arrival, an alarm sounds from the late night watch. A boat approaches with speed under cloak of night, set to ram the Nosalas from the looks of it. The officers of the watch race to and fro to bring chlen long arms to the crew-members. You see several crew members taking to the side of the ship where the boat approaches from. A strange purple glow grows in a section of the approaching ship....

 

galleytekumel.jpg

 

[GM Note: You may begin traditional IGOYOUGO role-playing. You may additionally write any run-up roleplaying to this night's actions (open roleplaying of the past week's time, perhaps a light description of what your character may have done up to this point in the voyage IF you wish) What does your character do? Don't feel rushed to respond. Take your time. Always err towards short but sweet when in doubt. Especially those busy in real life. I'd rather see one nice paragraph then everyone feeling like they need to write a soliloquy.

 

Note: If you have no idea what a natural jetty looks like, here is a good example of what is referred to above; to give you an idea of what the very small boat meets the Nosalas under cover of dark. -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Humboldt_Bay_and_Eureka_aerial_view.jpg ]

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ttk-chtk-dsá popped into the awning where Hanúmal reclined, dozing. “Kási Hanúmal,” she fluted. Hanúmal’s eyes opened. “Kási Hanúmal, a boat approaches from landward. Something… there is something glowing aboard it. Like the glow of the hilltop outside Agésha."

 

Hanúmal felt his heart begin to thunder. Eight words ended a week of rigorous tedium and he was abruptly adrift in unreality.

 

Ttk-chtk-dsá continued. "Chegukh, Kási, it is time for us to work. I climb the mast, for better sight to guide my bolts”

 

And to be further away from the water, Hanúmal thought, but decided it would be rude to speak it. Ttk-chtk-dsá had done a very brave deed answering his summons to serve aboard a ship, for the gentle Pé Chói were physically incapable of swimming.

 

He replied. “Chegukh, tùsmikrú. I will wake the others!”

 

The Pé Chói swiftly made her way to the mast, while Hanúmal began rousing the slumbering details gayál and bíyal. “Small boat approaching at speed! Arm yourselves, tùsmikáng! Defend the Nosalas!”

Edited by Lee Torres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The voyage has been pleasant so far. On the second day some sailor came up to Osure and requested that she engage in menial labor. She simply stared silently at him until he went away. Since then she has had plenty of time to study her books, and a net had brought in a very interesting type of eel, the taxedermied corpse of which she is lacquering in an attempt to bring out the vibrant scale colors.

 

Osure is just wondering whether Kamar might like to send the eel home to his clansmen as they had probably never seen one --maybe she should make a present of it?-- when she hears the alarm. Methodically she closes up the pot of lacquer, washes out her brush to it will not grow stiff, donns her mask, and moves up to the deck.

 

As she stares at the purple glow, wondering at it's nature, she hears H'anumal's shout and returns to her small cabin to lay out the bandages, ointments, and scalpels necessary to healing the wounded.

 

[[Can my character recognize what spell is being cast on the other ship, if it is a spell?

Her intent is to stay on the fringes of the battle, use warding to protect herself from blows, and retrieve the unconscious/wounded soldiers and crew and heal them, functioning as a ship's surgeon]]

Edited by Danielle
Realised the spell duration on Warding. In the future I will not change the substance of stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kamár was a bit sea-sick for the first few days, but struggled manfully to endure both his queasiness when the ship rocked over the swells on the gulf and the snickering of the crew.

 

He was pleased to see another archer climbing in the rigging, and did his best to make friends with his fellow Chakan. He had known many Pe Choi in his youth, and even counted a few as clan-cousins from up north. They were excellent foresters and often could call on their kinsmen for knowledge of where to find the rarest game or choicest lumber.

 

He spent much of his time attempting to rig a stout silk cord to an arrow to use as a makeshift harpoon, hoping to catch some of the big fish he could occasionally spy from his perch above the deck. As a one-time soldier, he certainly knew better than to go taking on extra work when someone else was paying his passage.

 

His astonishment and nervousness at the exalted company in which he found himself soon wore away, replaced by boredom and idle curiosity about his fellow travelers.

 

When the small boat was spotted, he climbed into the rigging with Ttk-chtk-dsá, hooked his feet into the rope and strung his bow, sighting along an arrow at the presumably hostile craft. As he searched for a target, it occurred to him that his task was to serve and protect the Hmakuyaláni priestess. "Ohé, scholar-priestess! Shall I help our Pé Chói friend here pepper some Salarvyáni with arrows for the stew-pot, or shall I come and protect you from on deck?"

Edited by Purchasemonkey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[[i hope I am not intruding by answering Kámar's question? If so, assume I do it on my next turn. I am very new to this style]]

 

As she's hurrying down to ready her room to receive patients, Osúre turns at Kámar's shout. "You can best keep me safe now by keeping them off our ship. I'll call if I need you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[GM Note: Danielle, if you could please provide me a roll against your Divination, we'll see what if anything you can perceive regarding the glowing light. We'll base this roughly on your Perceptions Of The Energies spell listed on your sheet.]

 

Also, you all are doing very well interjecting open role-playing with traditional. In an online format like this you have to give a little more room to breath improv wise; and you all are taking the reins well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Osure bends and shapes the energies that surround her, her mind's eye opening wider and wider. She is able to determine with absolute clarity that the purplish light is a portal. She additionally is able to determine that the portal is connected to a demonic plane (GM Note: Bonus! - perhaps ignorance would have been bliss, Wild Die Gone Wrong ) The approaching ship picks up speed, you all have a slightly better look at the boat now. It has large pieces of chlen armor on top, no masts, very long oars, and a rather nasty looking battering ram (pointy at that) aiming square for the side of the Nosalas approaching hull. The approaching galley is roughly 20 feet away from the ship when you begin to see small slits opening in the armored top. Small flames appear to ignite, as several flaming arrows begin to rain down upon the deck of the Nosalas.

 

[GM Note: If you all could please provide a roll for Dodge. The arrows are being shot rather wildly, so the chance of being hit will be small, but there none-the-less. If you wish to perform any magic in lieu of a reflexive Dodge, that will work as well. IF you additionally plan any actions for this round, let me know as well as it may accrue a multiple skill use modifier, but let me know exactly what you'd like to do. I'm a little looser then the original D6 rules in some respects as a GM; depending upon the fear factor and reaction times involved in a given scene; its hard to stick fast to one interpretation of the use of multiple actions. I think time is the major component to factor in.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As she sees the arrow alight, Osúre casts warding about herself to repel arrows and shouts to the archers in the rigging. "Someone on that ship is has opened a nexus point. We need to get an arrow in him before he can do more damage. Do you have any tipped with metal? Otherwise we should expect to face summoned troops." [[i got a 6 total, but have no idea what is needed to cast a Universal spell. Unless she is hit with metal, next round Osúre intends to cast invisibility on herself, and then try to help any wounded.]]

[GM Note: We had agreed for Universal Spells that the base target is 5, so you are fine casting Warding for now. Unless there are extenuating circumstances like lack of space or being constrained in some manner which would hinder your ability to complete the ritual magic. If there were a bunch of enemies crowding you on the ship deck for example, or you were otherwise attempting to dodge close quarters chlen swords, or the like, then the difficulty would increase considerably. I'll make a small note on your character sheet of the amount of magic points you have left to expend in a given day. If you recall, for successful spell casting, it's just a cost of one point. For unsuccessful, we'll subtract your die roll from the target and remove that many spell points.]

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[GM Note: If you all could please provide a roll for Dodge. The arrows are being shot rather wildly, so the chance of being hit will be small, but there none-the-less.

 

Hanúmal = 5,3,3,3,6 = 20

 

Ttk-chtk-dsá = 3,6,4,1,5,5,2 = 26

 

Barrel of Swords = 4,3,4,3 = 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[GM Note: If you all could please provide a roll for Dodge. The arrows are being shot rather wildly, so the chance of being hit will be small, but there none-the-less.]

 

Kamár's 4D Dodge: 5,1,4 +5 (Wild)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[GM: For a frame of reference, the boat attacking you is similar to a Korean Turtle Boat -

http://www.freewebs.com/realrtsreviews/Turtle%20Boats.jpg

Minus the cannon and masts! Replace cannon with slits for arrows, but those slits are on top.

Perhaps more looking like this more traditional Turtle Boat:

http://www2.hawaii.edu/~sford/research/turtle/turtle1.gif

And if you played the original Warcraft 2 real time strategy game, you will remember a Turtle Boat rather fondly

http://www.wowwiki.com/Giant_turtle

]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One crew-member is hit in the arm with a flaming arrow. He begins to flail about, attempting to extinguish his arm. His screams oddly echo about the deck way as he finds a nearby barrel, shoving his arm deep into its chilling contents. A flaming arrow lands in the main mast, just between Ttk-chtk-dsá and Kamar. It has not started the wood completely on fire, but it is still flaming and has being to char the mast.

 

[GM Note: We are at the beginning of a new combat 'round'. The enemy ship is now within 25 feet of the hull of the Nosalas. The Pe Choi Ttk-chtk-dsá did get off an arrow shot before the flaming arrow wizzed by them both, but did not get through the slits in the Chlen armor of the attacking ship. What do you do?]

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

((15 feet? So they're basically plowing into our oars? Do we have any oars in the water? If so, I'm strongly considering a preemptive boarding. Use the oars to cross over. There has to be some way for them to get inside that armor - given the heat of the summers, if there was no way to vent they'd roast alive in there. Also, before I realized they were so close, I'd pondered turning the Nosalas to face them and attempt an oar rake. But that would be out of character for an infantryman. Does anybody aboard know anything about naval tactics? If so, where the hell are they?))

[GM Notes: I was actually about to clarify this. Yes, you are correct, I've not taken into account the length of oars very well here. They are historically up to 8 meters in length. As this is not the largest galley in the world, let's settle 7m, or roughly 21 foot in length. I will adjust the text to state they are roughly 25 feet away, just outside of reach of the oars. Please realize with the bulk and speed and extra wood and chlen hide attached to the front, any oar they bump into has a decent chance of snapping, and an even better chance of glancing off the bow sprit. If you do wish to orchestrate using the oars to attempt a board; you 'could' physically accomplish this (moderate difficulty), but I'd recommend taking some shields at the very least or suffer some flaming arrows to the face. Also, yes, they have side windows similar to the Nosalas. It it not 'exactl'y like the Korean Turtle. Yes, they'd likely roast alive if they were all covered up. The chlen armor is mostly on top. Picture the Korean Turtle with a good two ft. air vent alongside. Also, this is not a ship they'd likely take out further then a day or two worth of rowing. It's one purpose (at least here and now) is to ram and plunder a merchant ship not too far from shore, under the cover of darkness.]

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

(Kamár will also try shooting through holes in the ship's armor, aiming for the area around the purple glow. I don't know if Kamár would have been wealthy enough to afford bronze arrowheads, but if so, he'd be using them.)

 

Kamár's Marksmanship 4D: 5,4,1 +4 (Wild)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to assume casting Warding takes up her action, and she is looking around and trying to figure out where to be helpful since Osúre is unused to combat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

((Are there any ropes from the rigging Hanúmal could use to make the Errol Flynn flamboyant counter-boarding swing onto the ramming ship?))

[GM Note: There should be plenty of rope (assuming a hemp style rope on Tekumel) extra on or about the deck you could easily use by tying off onto a mast or other bulky object. I would suggest that as opposed to just cutting some off here and there :) Regarding oars. You have brought up a good overall point that most boardings in galley warfare were from the bow or stern. Assume that they are outside of reach of the oars, and making their way ahead of the bow (front) of the ship). I have done more Napoleonic ship fighting then Mediterranean galleys of late, so I'm rusty. :)]

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Spears! I need spears and some rope, tùsmikáng... NOW!"

 

Hanúmal begins tying the ropes to spears as his men bring them. "We must strike the rear of that boat. Once we have secured the lines, we'll need every able body on this ship to pull, and pull hard, to bring them alongside. They mean to ram our prow? It'll be difficult if they're unable to point their ram at us - then we'll have the ropes and oars to use to cross the gap and take their vessel... Hurry! Who is best with a spear? Captain! Steer us alongside them! Tùsmikrú, can you light a bolt and hit that gap under their armor?"

 

((For this to work, of course, we need to have the very ornate spearheads depicted in some artwork - if our spears are unadorned, the ropes won't stay in place. Let me know what we've got - if our spears are smooth I'll retract the post.))

Edited by Lee Torres

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Captain Aljari barks several orders, and the ship is taken quickly larboard (port), then starboard to match course and speed with the approaching turtle boat. The action has taken you as close as you can muster. The bottom oars are taken in half way to allow for the closing action. If the boat is rammed, the captain is ready with reinforced wooden plugs for the lower port and starboard oar holes, in case of leaks elsewhere the boat may list or ride lower in the water, and having 40+ open holes at the water level would not bode well with the Nosalas' ability to remain afloat.

 

Several of the Nosalas crewmembers fall in alongside Hanumal and his make-shift marine detachment. (3 NPCs at your bidding, of relatively 'common' abilities)

 

[GM Note: Yes, all of your weaponry is of the ornate fashion. There are plenty of extra long pole-arms on the Nosalas as well. They were brought out by the crew upon word of the approaching ship. Excuse the 'quick' reply, but have kids crawling up my legs right now.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[[Are we on a 3rd round? Did Kamar's shot hit?]]

[GM Note: We are on 3rd Round. The shot bounced off the chlen armor. Apologies, I meant to add that above. Several more inbound arrows hit the Nosalas, but no one is hit by them. Two additional fires have started, but they are quickly stamped out or watered by crewmembers.]

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Secure long ropes to these spears! We'll aim for the structure of the boat. Throw hard; if we don't get them deep, we'll pull them out rather than pull the enemy close. If you need help with the knots, ask any of these three; sailors know such things even better than we. Throw as soon as you're ready and aim for the aft structure! Captain Aljari has given us a good target, so don't disappoint him... or me."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

[GM Note: While Lee and fellows are prepping, assuming one round prep time (likely low-balling that, but I'll be generous) do Kamar or Osure wish to do any actions this combat round #3? Also, here is just a horrid paint drawing of the positions of the ships, with some lettering added to the Nosalas to help you depict what zone your character ends up in on the ship ; for the sake of not having miniatures of your characters in front of us. For example, Osure ends up in quadrant A3, where the numbers are 1 through 9, 1 to 3 on top row, 4 to 6 middle row, 7 to 9. I hope you get the picture (pun intended). General descriptions of where you end up will be fine too, just providing in case you want to be more accurate.]

relativepositions.png

Ignore the two circles mid-ship. The Nosalas only has one large mast mid-ship.

Edited by Lubidius

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Osúre will call to Kámar to meet her where Hanumal and the three soldiers are gathered, and cast Blessing of the Planes on them (and herself), to protect them from the enemy spellcaster she worries is on board the other ship. "May the Hand of the Indigo Lord rest over you and protect you from hostile magics." She will then grab two sailors and command them to bring her any wounded, before retreating to a portion of deck, on the other side from the turtle boat, where she will patiently wait for patients to arrive as the fighting heats up.

 

[[Here is my roll for the spell: 17 on 3D+1 (6W+3,6,1)

Hope you don;t mind me acting more as support personnel. Osúre has never touched a sword, and isn't confident enough yet to wade into battle]]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×
×
  • Create New...