pwcroft

Questions about OpenD6, OGL, and publishing.

40 posts in this topic

This thread has been very helpful.

Is anyone willing to look at the following and let me know if it appears to be correct? It would be used for creating additional Mini Six material where everything would be released as Open Game Content; there would be no additional PI beyond that already claimed for D6 and MiniSix. The section enclosed in {} is just a placeholder where the real copyright info would go. The formatting is Markdown (I use Markdown exclusively when I write for easy conversion into multiple formats such as HTML, PDF, and ePub):

OPEN GAME LICENSE Version 1.0a

The following text is the property of Wizards of the Coast, Inc. and is Copyright 2000 Wizards of the Coast, Inc (“Wizards”). All Rights Reserved.

1. Definitions: (a)”Contributors” means the copyright and/or trademark owners who have contributed Open Game Content; (b)”Derivative Material” means copyrighted material including derivative works and translations (including into other computer languages), potation, modification, correction, addition, extension, upgrade, improvement, compilation, abridgment or other form in which an existing work may be recast, transformed or adapted; (c) “Distribute” means to reproduce, license, rent, lease, sell, broadcast, publicly display, transmit or otherwise distribute; (d)”Open Game Content” means the game mechanic and includes the methods, procedures, processes and routines to the extent such content does not embody the Product Identity and is an enhancement over the prior art and any additional content clearly identified as Open Game Content by the Contributor, and means any work covered by this License, including translations and derivative works under copyright law, but specifically excludes Product Identity. (e) “Product Identity” means product and product line names, logos and identifying marks including trade dress; artifacts; creatures characters; stories, storylines, plots, thematic elements, dialogue, incidents, language, artwork, symbols, designs, depictions, likenesses, formats, poses, concepts, themes and graphic, photographic and other visual or audio representations; names and descriptions of characters, spells, enchantments, personalities, teams, personas, likenesses and special abilities; places, locations, environments, creatures, equipment, magical or supernatural abilities or effects, logos, symbols, or graphic designs; and any other trademark or registered trademark clearly identified as Product identity by the owner of the Product Identity, and which specifically excludes the Open Game Content; (f) “Trademark” means the logos, names, mark, sign, motto, designs that are used by a Contributor to identify itself or its products or the associated products contributed to the Open Game License by the Contributor (g) “Use”, “Used” or “Using” means to use, Distribute, copy, edit, format, modify, translate and otherwise create Derivative Material of Open Game Content. (h) “You” or “Your” means the licensee in terms of this agreement.
2. The License: This License applies to any Open Game Content that contains a notice indicating that the Open Game Content may only be Used under and in terms of this License. You must affix such a notice to any Open Game Content that you Use. No terms may be added to or subtracted from this License except as described by the License itself. No other terms or conditions may be applied to any Open Game Content distributed using this License.
3. Offer and Acceptance: By Using the Open Game Content You indicate Your acceptance of the terms of this License.
4. Grant and Consideration: In consideration for agreeing to use this License, the Contributors grant You a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, non exclusive license with the exact terms of this License to Use, the Open Game Content.
5. Representation of Authority to Contribute: If You are contributing original material as Open Game Content, You represent that Your Contributions are Your original creation and/or You have sufficient rights to grant the rights conveyed by this License.
6. Notice of License Copyright: You must update the COPYRIGHT NOTICE portion of this License to include the exact text of the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any Open Game Content You are copying, modifying or distributing, and You must add the title, the copyright date, and the copyright holder’s name to the COPYRIGHT NOTICE of any original Open Game Content you Distribute.
7. Use of Product Identity: You agree not to Use any Product Identity, including as an indication as to compatibility, except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of each element of that Product Identity. You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark. The use of any Product Identity in Open Game Content does not constitute a challenge to the ownership of that Product Identity. The owner of any Product Identity used in Open Game Content shall retain all rights, title and interest in and to that Product Identity.
8. Identification: If you distribute Open Game Content You must clearly indicate which portions of the work that you are distributing are Open Game Content.
9. Updating the License: Wizards or its designated Agents may publish updated versions of this License. You may use any authorized version of this License to copy, modify and distribute any Open Game Content originally distributed under any version of this License.
10. Copy of this License: You MUST include a copy of this License with every copy of the Open Game Content You Distribute.
11. Use of Contributor Credits: You may not market or advertise the Open Game Content using the name of any Contributor unless You have written permission from the Contributor to do so.
12. Inability to Comply: If it is impossible for You to comply with any of the terms of this License with respect to some or all of the Open Game Content due to statute, judicial order, or governmental regulation then You may not Use any Open Game Material so affected.
13. Termination: This License will terminate automatically if You fail to comply with all terms herein and fail to cure such breach within 30 days of becoming aware of the breach. All sublicenses shall survive the termination of this License.
14. Reformation: If any provision of this License is held to be unenforceable, such provision shall be reformed only to the extent necessary to make it enforceable.
15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE
 * Open Game License v 1.0 Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
 * D6 Adventure (WEG51011), Copyright 2004, Purgatory Publishing Inc.
 * West End Games, WEG, and D6 System are trademarks and properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc.
 * Mini Six is a trademark and property of AntiPaladin Games.
 * {Game Title, Copyright year, Name or Company}

PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION:

* Product Identity: The D6 System; the D6 trademarks, the D6 and related logos and any derivative trademarks not specified as Open Game Content are designated as Product Identity (PI) and are properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc. All rights reserved.
* The Mini Six and the Mini Six Bare Bones Edition trademarks and related logos and any derivative trademarks are designated as Product Identity
(PI) and are properties of AntiPaladin Games. All rights reserved.
* Open Game Content: All game mechanics and material not covered under Product Identity (PI) above; OpenD6 trademark and OpenD6 logo.

This is the end of the Open Game License.

Hey there, guys! I hope this is the right forum for this kind of question. So, how restrictive is the D6 OGL? For example, can I use a different method to determine Attributes and Skills from what's described in the D6 System book? Or use different 4D as the maximum for Attributes, instead of 5D?

Yes, you can. Changes can be made to the basics of the systems, such as methods to determine attributes and skills, or using 4D maximum instead of 5D.

Consider that Mini Six, Cinema6 (Azamar), Septimus, Astral Empires, Black Desert, and a smattering of others have all been published under the D6 OGL, and they all have differences among them in regards to aspects you've mentioned, you are safe to make changes.

The only thing you can't do is use open material (material made open by the OGL) and then claim product identity on those items. You can claim product identity on newly created things, but anything that you use directly from the D6 OGL must still be kept "open".

The only thing you can't do is use open material (material made open by the OGL) and then claim product identity on those items. You can claim product identity on newly created things, but anything that you use directly from the D6 OGL must still be kept "open".

So, for example, any new method I come up to determine Attributes and Skills will also be a part of the OGL? That's cool with me. :-)

Well, no, a new method wouldn't *have* to be included in the OGL. It certainly is nice to have it included, so other people can freely use it. What I'm referring to is something like this:

Page 10 of D6 Fantasy:

One attribute die equals four creation points.

• One skill die equals one creation point.

• Three skill specialization dice equal one creation

point.

• Advantages and Special Abilities have their own

costs associated with them; see the “Character Options”

chapter for details.

You can't put those exact words, verbatim into your product and THEN say "this rule is Product Identity and copyright me".

The reason you can't is because the material has already been released under the OGL and needs to be kept open under the OGL.

If you went and changed those rules to be something else completely different, then you're not copying previously open material and so you have the option of making your mechanics open, or claiming Product Identity on the rules and keeping them closed.

The whole intent of the D6 OGL was to get people to use the rules or make up new rules and then release the new mechanics into the OGL so everyone else can also use them.

Hopefully that makes sense.

The whole intent of the D6 OGL was to get people to use the rules or make up new rules and then release the new mechanics into the OGL so everyone else can also use them.

Hopefully that makes sense.

It does. Thanks!

This thread has been the most useful bit of information I've found, pretty much anywhere, in trying to figure out OpenD6. So, if I understand I can use the "The D6 System: The Customizable Roleplaying Game (1996)" pdf as the "ground rules" for the game I'm working on and the setting/universe that I'm creating would not fall under the OGL (unless I release it) and instead is considered PI.

If I modify things like the stats, skills, magic system etc. but use some of the the underlying mechanism (like the task difficulty table) how do I clearly spell out in the OGL which is stuff I came up with vice stuff in the actual D6 System rule book.

Also, is the "The D6 System: The Customizable Roleplaying Game (1996)" book basically the D6 SRD or is there a separate one?

Again, thread has been a fantastic help. Many thanks to pwcroft for kicking it off :)

There really isn't a D6 SRD.

You could use "The D6 System" as such, or you could use one of the three D6 core books (D6 Space, D6 Modern, D6 Fantasy). I believe there's still a site out where you can find a text only distillation of one of those three books. So that could be used as well.

You are correct that the setting/universe that you're creating could be kept as PI and not released under the D6 OGL.

If you DID modify stats, skills, magic system, etc. and chose NOT to release the changes under the OGL, you'd probably need to group those changes in a different section, then you could mark such things in certain sections as PI and things in other sections as OGL. I feel it would be a great disservice to make changes to the stats, skills, magic system and what-not and NOT release those changes to the OGL. Give people the ability to build upon the mechanic changes you include in your product. Keep your setting/universe as your own, but let others use your mechanics if they like them enough.

But that's just my thoughts. Others obviously have different thoughts and it's best to decide what works best for your own situation.

I'm not entirely certain. The better person to answer that question would be Lee Torres as he had a much stronger influence and desire towards D6 Legend than I ever had. I thought he was working on something regarding it, but I don't know if if it ever came to full fruition.

At one point, on the old boards, I asked about d6 Legend. Eric's response was that, if someone took the time to create the document, he was fine with it and it was included under the OpenD6 banner.

My curiosity is as to whether or not the Directive on Superpowers is covered. My presumption is that it is, as long as the rules are the only parts used. If anyone is still in contact with Eric and can ask, that would be super cool.

The fact that a "SRD" of the core rules is available now makes it a lot more feasible. In fact, I'm in pre-production on a new version of the D6 Legend ruleset, to eventually be available digitally via DriveThruRPG. I'm hoping to have at least a core rulebook available around August 2014. That's an estimate, of course. Right now I'm concentrating on re-branding.

i checked with eric on fb and he said d6 legends is covered. My dialogue with him was today.

-J

It's been covered since the overall system went Open (4th paragraph; April 6, 2009); the Directive on Superpowers would be part of that provided someone took the time to excise the IP of DC Comics from it. I removed the examples from the DCU core book to create the SRD (and also removed the write-ups of the superheroes and the locations), but I got some negative feedback for doing so. You might consider going the route the OpenD6 Space miniature rules did and keep examples, but rename them and get as far away from the original IP as possible while still maintaining the spirit of the document. If you need it, I can provide you with the Word document that the D6L SRD .pdf was based on - just PM me with your email address and I'll forward it to you.

If you were wanting to flesh it out with examples, that would probably be a big win for the system and its fans - I'd considered revisiting it, but have been more focused on my own project for the past 6 months now that I have enough bandwidth to get back into gaming.

Hard to believe looking at this thread that even though it was completed (in a rush) before GenCon in August of 2009, the D6 Legend SRD went public January 18th of 2010. Eight days from now it'll be four years.

Edited by Lee Torres
Added link to original announcement...

Hard to believe looking at this thread that even though it was completed (in a rush) before GenCon in August of 2009, the D6 Legend SRD went public January 18th of 2010. Eight days from now it'll be four years.

And just as relevant and useful today as it was back then :) It's helped me realize that with the d6 Space (and Space Ship) rulebooks already out there (and fantastic) I can concentrate on working on my project as a supplement, instead of a whole game - albeit with some modifications to character creation/experience/etc. all of which I'll release. The setting is what's really of importance to me - it's something I've mulling over for (literally) years.

No negative feedback from me at all. As soon as I saw the Legends SRD a couple of months ago, it got me reinvigorated to work on a new version. Now that I know the Directive on Superpowers is included, that's even better. Based on the post from Eric, the Legends Magic supplement is included; I will have to do some comparisons of D6 Magic vs. Legends Magic to see which one I like better.

The plan is for the initial document to be a full-on base rulebook, incorporating the base rules, the Directive, and added content from other versions of the D6 System, like Advantages and Disadvantages from Adventure and possibly the aforementioned inclusion of Magic from D6 Magic. It will also include salient examples, inspired in part by the original Legend rulebooks, sample characters, and some of the other things removed from the SRD. It won't have any setting information, being just a rules set, but if it does well (even marginally) I will also write a setting book.

Right now I'm working on how to translate the Directive into an easily editable form...