D6 Online 3.0
AdAstraGames

The Simplicity Manifesto

One of the things that appeals the most about D6 is its basic simplicity.

Roll fistfull of dice, apply a single modifier, compare to a difficulty number.

Choose a template. Allocate 3D as you see fit to Attributes, you can't raise any past 4D. Allocate 7D to skills. You can break dice into thirds if you really want to.

What aspects of various D6 implementations do you like (because they're cool, or because they help reinforce a kind of play you like), what aspects do you wish you could like, because they're too simple, too complex, or too clunky, and what aspects would you just flat out remove?

Amen! Keep It Simple, Stupid!

I like the fact that the rules are simple to understand and simple to implement. I can make a PC in 5 minutes and an NPC in 30 seconds. When the storytelling gets good, the rules fade into the background (as they should) and pop right back into place when I need em. I love the fact that I can visualize a D6 game as a movie in my head as it's happening.

I like that there are different attributes possible for different styles and genres. The system is simple AND flexible.

As far as fixes go, here are my top fix requests (in no particular order): the current scaling numbers/examples, a robust and coherent advantage/disadvantage system, rules for mecha and powersuits, a simplified spell creation system. Oh, and a couple of signature settings and/or IPs would really help market the system well, too.

PS - Anyone who complains about the "fistful of dice" and how difficult it is to count dice needs to turn in their public school diploma and have their head examined. Nothing beats the sound of 5+ six-siders crashing to the gaming table and the anticipation while you count em up. (count by 10s and 5s and the math is really easy)

Edited by Rerun941

Anyone who complains about the "fistful of dice" and how difficult it is to count dice needs to turn in their public school diploma and have their head examined. Nothing beats the sound of 5+ six-siders crashing to the gaming table and the anticipation while you count em up. (count by 10s and 5s and the math is really easy)

I wouldn't have said it in those words, but I can't disagree with the sentiment. If someone likes a success-based version of D6 better than classic D6, then more power to them and to each their own. But if you like it better merely because it is too difficult to add up dice results in classic , then that is a little sad. Grouping the dice together and adding by 10's is really easy and doesn't really even require a high school diploma. I first ran D6 classic as a junior in high school for 2 sophomores, an 8th grader and a 7th grader. None of us were geniuses, and yet we still managed to get by without the game being slowed down counting up dice results at all.

Amen! Keep It Simple, Stupid!

<SNIP>

Nothing beats the sound of 5+ six-siders crashing to the gaming table and the anticipation while you count em up. (count by 10s and 5s and the math is really easy)

I agree! I agree! Oh Lordy on the mountain, I agree! Keep preaching that simple mantra of K-I-S-S!

And I love the sound of 5D hitting the table. But, as a GM, I love the sound of that smug player's inevitable groaning wail as those 5D add up to a total of 4 or 5 (classic/Destiny style). :cool:

Pinnacle Entertainment (the guys who make Savage Worlds) have a mantra of "Fast, Furious, Fun!" All of their design philosophy is centered around those three words.

The slogan serves them well and helps convey the basic strengths of their system. I wonder if we could use a similar slogan for D6?

*grin* OK, so apparently, I was preaching to the choir.

What parts of D6 as its currently implemented take too long? What parts are clunky? What parts can be improved?

I included a few areas that I think need work in my first post. advantages/disadvantages, mecha, scaling, and spells. Plus, some settings or an IP to sell the system again.

R941, I think you hit some good points there and some of the core issues that people look at.

Here are my random thoughts of the moment on them..

I think there are a few workable ways for advantages/disadvantages now. I am partial to the way we handle disadvantages (i.e. Complications in Mini Six) and it sounds like AdAstraGames is doing something similar with their variation of the system) where you get no bonus points or dice in character creation but do get a bonus when it comes up in play. As for advantages, I don't see an easy way other than spending the initial skill dice option as listed in the various D6 books out there.

Because of their use in this option and the possible variations on creation options we are now referring to those initial "skill dice" as "development dice". You can spend them to develop your character at creation. Some games may give rules limitations on how you spend them. Maybe you are going to all be playing vampires so your GM tells you that you receive 25 development dice at character creation. Of these you can spend up to 10 dice on skills w/ no more than 2 in any one skill, up to 5 dice on General Perks (mundane advantages), and any remaining dice on purchasing your way cool special vampire abilities.

But the upside to this is that you can still go with the basics of a fast pick-up game. You want rip-roaring space opera game? Hand out a templates booklet to help get the players' creative juices flowing, tell them they get 7 Development Dice to spend on skills on their preferred template and in less than 10 minutes Roegon Stormtroopers can be attacking a modified rebel transport to help launch an adventure.

As to Mecha those can be looked at as two different options - the first is coming up with some light and quick creation rules that has them constructed like a character where you assign dice to the suits stats: Strength, Dexterity, Armor, Body (chasis), Armaments, Pilot/Cargo space, Move, and Scale. Come up with a cool name for your new mech, throw in your pilot you made and take off. The second is using something like Vehicles to come up with a much more detailed system of creation. That works too, but after years of playing Car Wars I am rather partial to the spending dice method.

Scaling... Okay, this is probably one of the biggest things we could all go to arguing about again in trying to find out a way we will all like with it.

As for Spells. This is something that we could definitely use more of. In this front, what are the thoughts on the Mini Six "Simple Magic" system? In it Magic is a Wit based skill and requires the Perk "Sorcerer" to learn. Each spell has an associated target number needed for success.

We can't dive into it immediately but we are looking into trying our hand at a Grimoire book at some point in the future where we would give an expanded spell list and a few different options for including magic in your game.

...Embarrasing as it is to admit, I'd been playing D20 for the better part of a decade and I find it rubbing off on me. I blame my wife, but hey, if you're married to someone who can game and run games, you just thank your lucky stars... Anyway, I have a hard time not thinking about Feats. It works very well in D20 as a tool to customize characters...of course, in D6, customization is so simple the limitless possibilities are overwhelming.

I am thinking about making a sort of "Perk Package" that can be bought at character creation that offer certain advantages and disadvatages, based on race, origin or other things...

Basically, for x number of development points, a player can buy a package that has an equal value of advantages, and the option to buy back those development points with appropriate disadvantages.

As an example, lets say there is a "Computer Whiz" package offered for 3 development points. It offers a +1D bonus in computer operation and a +2D bonus in hacking. There are recommended disadvantages that our hypothetical player can pick like "klutz" (-1D on balance rolls) and "socially inept" which would subtract a die from intimidate, persuesion, and bluff. OUr player could take the "klutz" and only pay 2 points for Coputer Whiz, or take "socially inept" and pay nothin from his starting development pool. The player cannot take both- That would give them extra points and make a clumsy dork. We may assume that the character is capable of being a clumsy dork on thier own.

This could simplify by offering structure during character creation, and therefore speed up the process. It could complicate because it adds on other layer of referencing the rules.

This is a very rough idea; questions comments and critisisms are welcome.

Provided, of course, they do not concern my spelling :)