D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
JPQuinn

Destiny D6 RPG

Hi everyone!

Just posting some quick notes about our Open d6 project called Destiny d6. Destiny is a d6-based high fantasy horror game and game world. Think of the dark and foreboding worlds of Thundarr the Barbarian and Dave Arneson's Blackmoor colliding with Ed Greenwood's Forgotten Realms.

d6 will always hold a place in my mind and heart as one of the simplest systems to ever play and run. With that in mind, we looked at how gaming has evolved in the last 20 years. The players are more worldly and they want more from their games. And, GM's want to develop their stories and not dicker over muddy and irrelevant rules. Destiny d6 will fill that niche.

General Improvements:

• A new simplified and dynamic spellcasting system
  • Simplified "wild die" critical system
  • Unified attribute, skill, specialization system
  • Quicker combat
  • New wound and Body Point system

Player Improvements:

• Templates, templates, templates
  • New traits, natural abilities, special abilities, and extranormal attributes
  • Revamped character generation (for those that dislike templates) and character advancement
  • Improved rules for advanced character generation and game play
  • New gear options

GM Improvements:

• Easier encounter construction (both combat and non-combat)
  • Rapid resolutions
  • Unified mechanics give you more time to play the story, not the die-rolling

Everything in Destiny d6 is designed to get a new game up-and-running in 10 minutes or less from cracking open the Core Rulebook (player and GM).

For additional questions, please email us or post your questions here. We are always happy to help.

I'm always glad to see folks taking up the d6 mantle and it certainly looks like you understand the feel that the system is intended to portray. (Plus, references to Thundarr the Barbarian always score points with me.)

Good luck to you and I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce!

What do you have in mind for it?

You're at a convention and roll a "1" on the wild die while fighting the big baddie. Or, you roll a "6" while trying to hide that thermite mine in the enemy fuel depot. What's the outcome? Up to this point, most wild die rules are left to an open interpretation. Different GMs from different tables have different ways of resolving critical success and failure. The idea behind Destiny is to make all rules the same rule (one rule to rule them all). Less interpretation leads to greater simplicity which leads to faster combat and better flowing roleplaying encounters. Below are only two brief examples of wild die critical results (typical skill roll and combat critical):

Typical Wild Die Skill Criticals

Critical Failure: Roll a 1 on the wild die. Remove your highest die roll AND the wild die from your total.

Critical Success: Roll a 6 on the wild die. Roll the wild die again and add the result to the total.

Combat Wild Die Criticals

Critical Failure: See above and suffer 1 wound.

Critical Success: See above and inflict 1 wound.

The flow remains uninterrupted by the clunky response of "uh... you hit the goblin really hard and... uh.... I guess it dies" or "uh... you trip in the middle of your swing and... uh... throw your sword or something.... uh... loss your action."

Good luck to you and I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce!

I was going to hold off on this, but the cats are clawing a hole in the bag. We will be opening Stage 1 Playtesting after GenCon this summer. Beginning at the end of July, Dolmen Creative will be taking names of all those interested in playtesting Destiny during our first series of playtest events. Additional information will be given as the time approaches.

Edited by JPQuinn

Great to see that this is becoming a reality Jeff! As you know, I am a great fan of the work you have done for Zeitgeist Games and Goodman Games in the past. References to Blackmoor and using the D6 system? Yes, you have my attention. Are you looking for any sort of feedback at the moment? :)

In regards to the Wild Die, I highly recommend you check out this thread: http://www.wegfansite.com/forum/showthread.php?2334-My-Wild-Die-House-Rule

My (along with many others) issue is that using that mechanic makes it a 1-in-6 chance of a "critical" which is far too frequently for many of us.

There are two basic solutions:

1) Rephrase the Wild Die mechanic name to "Boon/Bane" or some equivalent as the words "critical hit" and "critical failure" have certain connotations in the gaming community especially in the area of mathematical probabilities.

2) Change the mechanic so that the mathematic probabilities truly make it a "critical." My suggestion in the above thread is to roll the Wild Die again and if it comes up a 1 again (essentially rolling snake eyes on 2d6, a true critical failure) is where you take away the next highest die. Otherwise, the Wild Die is nothing special, the player just rolled a 1. Personally, I like Complications, so if the Wild Die comes up a 6 on the second roll, then it's a complication. Your mileage may vary.

I highly recommend you check out this thread: http://www.wegfansite.com/forum/show...Die-House-Rule

Thanks for the link. I'll definitely check it out.

Are you looking for any sort of feedback at the moment?

Towards the end of July to the beginning of August. Invest, if you can, in Fantasy Grounds II and microphone/webcam. I may have something of interest for you.

I'm interested in seeing how you make a dynamic spell casting system (which is a concept I love) that doesn't turn into Chart Lookup Hell to make sure someone hasn't minmaxed the spell, or turn into "OK, the wizard is casting a custom spell. Let's order pizza while he's doing accounting."

I'm interested in seeing how you make a dynamic spell casting system (which is a concept I love) that doesn't turn into Chart Lookup Hell to make sure someone hasn't minmaxed the spell, or turn into "OK, the wizard is casting a custom spell. Let's order pizza while he's doing accounting."

My home brew method is modeled after Ars Magicka. It's pretty fun, even though it's a complete ripoff.

Here's what I've got in mind, also a ripoff of Ars Magica (and Four By Five Magic for Fudge)

There are four Actions:

Enhance/Diminish

Sense/Understand/Illusion

Move/Summon

Create/Destroy/Transform

There are four Realms

Body

Mind

Spirit

Matter/Energy

A spell requires two skill rolls

One for the sum of your die codes for the Action and Realm to see if the spell goes off at all.

One for Channel*

Channel* sets the power level of the spell. When you cast a spell, you specify the desired power level. If your Channel skill roll doesn't equal the power level, you pay the difference out of Goal Dice (think Character Points in stock D6). If you don't have any Character Points, you pay in Wounds.

You can take specialization dice in the Channell skill as specific spells known. (There are also other things you can do - extra time, helpers, living sacrifices, special places) to add more dice to your Channel roll.

You can take specialization dice in one half of any of the Actions and between Matter & Energy for Realms. You may not take specialization dice in both 'halves' of the same Realm or Action.

Realms are Knowledge skills

Actions are Technique skills

Channel* is a Will skill and requires a Talent to be able to put dice in at all.

The Channel difficulty for Create/Destroy/Transform is double what it would normally be.

I agree. Most dynamic systems require a graphing calculator and a dual-PhD in physics and xenopsychoanalytics. The Destiny system is so simple that my 4, 9, and 10 year-old kids have been testing it to great success. But, it's meaty enough that my home gaming crew (over 1 century's worth of combined gaming experience) are able to power down some of the toughest baddies with some unique applications. The "overhaul" on the system has had only one caveat, "K-I-S-S."

The system still uses different Extranormal attributes for different applications: the Magic, Miracles, and Psychic attributes are covered in the Core Rulebook. As is currently standard, each attribute is broken down into a number of skills; example, Miracles has the skills: divination, favor, and strife. The healer of the group is going to heal the group's meat shield. He spends a predetermined amount of mana, rolls his favor skill and has the total amount of healing, depending on his skill roll. Honestly, not truly different than any other skill or ability in the game.

(As a side note, I do like the Ars Magica system as well. However, take a look at the brilliant BESM dynamic magic system.)