D6 Online 3.0
Lubidius

Out Of Character Thread.

In case you want to see the concepts of the two new characters, they are at the bottom now on the character doc I'm keeping. These are works-in-progress.

Also, please read above a few posts in that I've upped the starting skill dice to 9D, and I've given human characters an additional 1D in a modern (human) language of choice.

Gotta get in here more often. Completely missed this.

Regarding "specialization". I would prefer that we treat any skill that we agree (together agree) must be specialized to master, for example Scholar: Tsolyani History (which is a more specified subset of an overly generalized skill) as a normal skill. By that I mean, upon character creation, normal amount of Skill dice are used to obtain it, and subsequently, a normal amount of character points are needed to improve it.

Summary:

I prefer as GM that we treat any skill that needs to be specialized (something that otherwise is way too ambiguous, for example Scholar or Language) as normal skill dice cost within Defined Limits character creation, and normal costs as to Improving that skill there-after.

The skills I feel require specialized skills are -

Scholar

Reading/Writing - please clearly state what Modern or Classical form of a language is involved.

Speaking - please clearly state what Modern or Classical form of a language is involved.

Are there any major objections to this interpretation?

Edited by Lubidius

The skills I feel require specialized skills are -

Scholar

Reading/Writing & Speaking --> I would like to compress to Language : X (where X is a very specific Modern or Classical/Ancient version there-of)

Healing (Healing : Natural, Healing : Surgeon, Healiing: Spritual , something specific please)

Melee Combat (pick a specialized weapon please. When you utilize a melee weapon other then one of your specialized ones, I will treat it as your lowest specialized melee combat skill rating - 1D. For example, if you specialize in Chlen Halbard, you will get that skill level when using that weapon. If you try and use a steel short sword (rare of course), you can still use the weapon, but at -1D to your lowest specialized weapon skill.

Are there any major objections to this interpretation?

Hanumal has reading and writing: Tsolyani to indicate that he's among the 10% of literate folks in Tsolyanu, and Speaking: Yan Koryani because of the interpreter thing. So if they're folded in, it gives him the ability to read and write Yan Koryani, which doesn't really fit the background.

Melee I figured I wanted him good with melee weapons - he came up through the Niqomi structure as a Kuruthuni, so he'd be pretty adept at all of the heavy infantry weapons - mace, spear, sword, dagger. In 2361, when the prequel is set, he's basically a Sergeant, so would be capable enough to train others. So which should be specialized, and which drop to less realistic levels? Can I specialize in the previously listed four, with any other treated as you suggest?

Edited by Lee Torres

Ssudukh, you've reminded of something I needed to ask. If Lee and Janis, could you please PM me an e-mail address I can reach you at, I will make a small email group within my email client to get important updates or requests to everyone in one shot. It will only be in rare cases that I spam everyone.

From Lee - "Hanumal has reading and writing: Tsolyani to indicate that he's among the 10% of literate folks in Tsolyanu, and Speaking: Yan Koryani because of the interpreter thing. So if they're folded in, it gives him the ability to read and write Yan Koryani, which doesn't really fit the background."

You bring up a very good point here. Urrrrrgh, I hate flexible rules. Somethings they become puddy.

I think it's a good idea to keep them separate. I think that even if you can read/write a language does not always mean you have the local nuances to a language. For example, not knowing some of the social ramifications or accents could lead to trouble with locals if you are attempting to blend in.

I will adjust my statement above.

Personally, I don't think healing or scholar are any more broad or requiring of specialization than melee combat, conjuration, streetwise, crafting, tracking, persuasion, etc. I think that if the worry is that specializations in them are too inexpensive you should just disallow specialization, but that "scholar: history" is not really worth a full die compared to many o f the other broad skills in the skill list.

With regard to languages, the question becomes "will speaking a language be worth 1/7 of your character's competence in terms of utility in this game?" If so make it cost 1D, if not make each a 1/3D specialization.

That is my opinion. of course you are the GM, so I'll go with whatever you choose.

Danielle

Edited to add: what you are discussing seems similar to "Focused Skills" on pg11, but for some skills only, which I would have no idea how to implement

Edited by Danielle

I've corrected my previous post on ruling of specialization. (Please re-read it further above)

Long story short, they cost the same as normal skills in both initial cost and improvement AND, only Scholar, Reading/Writing and Speaking require a denoted area of expertise. These areas will likely be used often in Tekumel, and I agree that other skills are a bit generalized, but these I think should require marking the exact area of knowledge in the Tekumel setting.

Is this agree-able by all?....

Edited by Lubidius

I thought that under D6 Fantasy that specializations were in effect one full skill die for three dice of specialization... To Danielle's point, charging full skill die for specializations makes them simply mandatory skills, doesn't it? Even with the extra 2D skill bonus, it'll make it tough for the scholars to be particularly scholarly...

Not trying to be a pain, just wanted to point it out.

Edit: I'll check out focus skills on page 11...

Edited by Lee Torres

I should have originally stated in the character generation portions of the Tekumel D6 conversion document that we will not use specializations, and that skills X, Y, and Z need to treated as "Focused Skills" (as Danielle intelligently points out in her edited post). In what I've stated further above, those Focused Skills would be Scholar, Reading/Writing and Speaking to depict what I feel are necessary focus in the Tekumel setting.

"it'll make it tough for the scholars to be particularly scholarly..." - I don't think they should be the Stephen Hawkins out of the running blocks either. If you put maximum 5D into the base attribute, spend 1D to gain additional 3D of specialty; then out of the running blocks a starting character would be nearing the maximum D in the skill without much effort at all. And that is in relationship to for example the table you created a while back, for reference sake:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AX7_e-cE9-tvZGY3OXZrOWRfMjlkenhxZmRjbQ&hl=en

The way I took that to heart in the conversion doc was stated in the section for Human race traits, levels and limits-->

Skill limits - Maximum of 10D (adjusted level with underlying attribute). [GMs may omit limits if they desire to allow epic level role-playing.]

Yes, it will take scholars some time to research; but I think that should be the case. For example, I will use myself in real-life. I studied Philosophy and History at my University; obtaining a Double Major. I was still however, when I graduated, not an expert in either. I was very skilled at it (and unfortunately losing those skills over time) but again, I was at most a 6D or so in those subject matter areas.

Anyway, I digress. I'm not a rules lawyer by any means! I hope I've not given that impression in this dialog. If it were up to me we'd just use the d100 method described here. (I won't as I know there needs to be some form of system as that is enjoyable by most players, here D6 especially :) I should have much more clearly denoted the way I wished to handle specializations and focused skills from the get go.

Edited by Lubidius
Several typos..

My apologies, I should have been more concise. I wasn't going for a Stephen Hawking, just that they'll be very focused on mostly one thing of necessity. This is not necessarily a bad thing; Harsan the acolyte of Thumis (from "Man of Gold") was narrowly focused too, but he was also quite young.

What's worse is that if you asked me an American History question at any time during my work at college (or perhaps even NOW), I would have likely answered at base attribute (in other words, an educated guess). I had concentrated on Medieval History, and even within that sub-genre, I studied Ecclesiastical History. Within Philosophy, I studied Scholastic Rationalism. I did have to take general 101 level courses, during which I learned more general knowledge, but sincerely by the time I graduated, almost all of the generalized knowledge was <poof>. The same thing, more so can be stated regarding languages. I just feel that language must be focused. You are not going to figure out Yan Koryani just from a generalized skill in Speaking. Now, we could say the same thing for just about any of the general skills listed for D6 Fantasy OGL, and rightfully so (as Danielle pointed out further above); but , I'm just trying to isolate it to within Tekumel, what skills need Focus. I could focus every skill, but I think it's overkill for this setting.

Again, when the dust settles, I should have clarified this in the conversion document.

Edited by Lubidius

No worries - I think D6 Fantasy is designed to grab any setting and dive in, but Tekumel is far from generic, so it, like few other settings in gaming or fiction, will require some tweaking to make it really sing. If it makes you feel any better, I've been playing with a more Tekumel-specific D6 version in my copious free time, and it takes a lot of work to match the rules to the setting. As Professor Barker seems to prefer, lighter seems better in this case, because if you try to account for all things you'd end up with Fantasy Games Unlimited doing EPT using the rules system from Aftermath. We'll get this all sorted out - the very best thing about D6 is it's an adaptable little beast!

In short, we're here for you, man! ;)

The same thing, more so can be stated regarding languages. I just feel that language must be focused. You are not going to figure out Yan Koryani just from a generalized skill in Speaking. Now, we could say the same thing for just about any of the general skills listed for D6 Fantasy OGL, and rightfully so (as Danielle pointed out further above); but , I'm just trying to isolate it to within Tekumel, what skills need Focus. I could focus every skill, but I think it's overkill for this setting.

The only thing I will say about languages is that role-playing games, especially American ones tend to overprice learning a language. There are multilingual people in Tekumel, and if you give each PC 9D and make speaking a language cost 1D and writing it 1D than someone who speaks and writes 3-4 languages will have no other skills. Compared to say, modern day India this is not very realistic. Also, from a game balance POV, will 2D spent to read and write Yan Koryani be approximately as useful as 2D spent in tracking?

I would agree that a general "speak" skill makes no sense, but I would also put forward that to speak or read a language is probably worth 1/3D, 2/3D to do both for one language. This would more accurately model a culture in which many people are trilingual

Good points, Danielle - Lubidius, what about Focus for the scholarly pursuits and Specialization for the Languages? That way 1 Skill Die can be split into 3D for languages, while sticking to the idea of not having every scholar be a powerhouse in many variant areas?

I am replying ot my own post to add that this issue is complicated because Professor Barker, as a linguist, introduced a wide variety of ancient languages that are still used as languages of scholarship in addition to the modern ones.

The argument is sound -->"what about Focus for the scholarly pursuits and Specialization for the Languages?"

I'm good with that assessment. Anyone object? I think it does reflect the setting better, as you've both argued successfully. For the languages, I would consider them Specializations without a base skill. You would just add the specialization dice right to the attribute base. If we go this route, I would like to nix the 1D I gave further above as a human bonus in languages, and state that Humans treat language as "Specializations". Agreed? Non-Humans, must treat languages as Focused skill cost (a.k.a normal skills costs)

Edited by Lubidius

Hey, just wanted to openly invite folks to add to the Legends & Lore thread. If you want to write a long lost document, or come up with a map of old, or really anything you desire to dabble in, just PM me your intent, and I can green light you going to town on whatever subject you'd like. Scrolls, pages of books, anything you can think up to add to the flavor the the game. A drawing (rough or otherwise) of your clan house? your temple grounds? Anything. I want to include everyone in bringing their personal part of the world to life. As long as what you come up with does not grant you immortal powers or anything jump the sharkish, it's fair game. Is there a small aspect of Tekumel history you've always wanted to expand upon but have just not had the medium to do it, go for it. Again, as long as it's not completely off-kilter, it should be fine. From what I've seen thus far, you all have a better grasp of Tekumel then I in many areas, so, you are not going to make me go all Tekumel-phile on you and say much of anything is off limits.

Edited by Lubidius

As Professor Barker seems to prefer, lighter seems better in this case, because if you try to account for all things you'd end up with Fantasy Games Unlimited doing EPT using the rules system from Aftermath.

You say that like you think the rules system from Aftermath is a bad thing. I liked Aftermath.

Not a bad thing, but it's definitely of the "high crunch" variety, you must admit. If Professor Barker favors a lighter sort of resolution, it'd be pretty far down the list.

That said, for a gritty post-apocalypse game, it was quite good. It was not the setting you wanted to get badly wounded in, unless you had some pre-collapse medicines. Had a character slowly dying over a three-week span of game sessions from a shotgun wound to the abdomen. Survived the initial damage, barely, and got dragged around by the other characters until he died a few days later in-game.

The version of the same rules they did for "Bushido" based on the same basic mechanics might be good for a military style Tekumel game...

Edited by Lee Torres
Afterthought

We have spoken of this to Kerdudali Akarsh and he will allow you to take as many of your semétl as may be willing ; to active as protection for the expedition.

Did you mean "take a semétl," or "take as many of your tsurúm as may be willing?" Kási Hanúmal hiKharsáma commands 400 men - he could form a semétl (20 men) by taking only his Tirrikámu, although that would cripple the discipline of the tsurúm, so he would never do it. How many men will Kérdudali Akarsh hiVoruseka permit?

Chegúkh!

I was shooting for roughly 10 men-at-arms to act as marines on the voyage (people you know or otherwise.) I could steer it away from using anyone from your unit if you wish, but wanted you to have a chance to bring anyone close to the character along to act as men-at-arms; that was my intent at least. If you think it would be more in character just for a couple of his closest compatriots to join in that would work. (basically anyone you think would volunteer to go with the Kasi would be the likely best candidates). None would work as well. I could interject a marine contingent of Azure Legionnaires; though they would make very quiet bed-fellows.

I'll need to ponder that in character quickly. Based on the priest's statement at the end of the prequel thread, the One Other could swat him like a chri-fly at any time. That's actually the analogy I use internally. Hanumal is like a chri-fly somewhere in the One Other's vast mansion. Provided he's not buzzing around being annoying, it's easy enough to put him out of mind. If he gets intrusive, though, I'm sure the Pariah Deity has a gruesome death in store.

Would Hanumal endanger ten of his men to save two superior officers. I'm leaning to "yes" but it will take a little consideration. The order was for him to do it, not to take 10 men and do it... a conundrum, to be certain!

Thanks, Lubidius!

Edited by Lee Torres