D6 Online 3.0
Lubidius

Out Of Character Thread.

Lots of good news about your game! Looking forward to meeting the new players, and getting underway; the prequel thread should be wrapped up soon - just need to wrap up the confrontation with the One Other and deal with some epilogue events to cover the intervening nine years (there are definite events that need coverage, but they're fast) and Hanumal will be ready to go.

I actually purchased a copy of "The Tsolyani Language" at a convention in 1978. Mine isn't as pretty as the one on DriveThru. Mine has plain blue cover with the title on it. Of course, mine was autographed by Professor Barker.

I actually purchased a copy of "The Tsolyani Language" at a convention in 1978. Mine isn't as pretty as the one on DriveThru. Mine has plain blue cover with the title on it. Of course, mine was autographed by Professor Barker.

First things first, welcome to the WEG Fan Site! Second, while I know it's unbecoming, that 1978 acquisition of yours makes me feel a tiny bit jealous. Okay, maybe a kind of massive bit jealous! :)

Good to have you here!

Welcome Ssudukh! If you get stuck in the slightest in attempting to create a character, let me know. We are very fortunate to have such long standing Tekumel players in our midst. I really look forward to this. As soon as we get folks up and running in the next few days, I'll start a main plot. I will give any new players the opportunity to do a Prequel Thread to tell us all a story of your upbringing, past events, anything you want to explore. As long as it does not give your character undo wealth, power or anything wonky like that, basically anything goes. A good example of what the Prequel threads were meant to bring out, see Lee's Hanumal Thread. I know he's likely sick of me plugging it by now, but it's really good work.

Summary(and this goes for all newcomers as they find their way in here)

1.) Yell when you think you are done with your character sheet. I can help you adjust if anything is needed to be tweaked.

2.) Once you are established with a certified sheet, we'll get you all started in a main campaign thread.

3.) I will additionally discuss a "Prequel" thread with you privately, and push you along the way to enjoying the process of filling in the blanks of your character's past and his or her motives. That will just be an interesting story thread you can have fun with and explore the character through. Basically anything goes, within reason. Don't bestow a kingdom to them or anything along those lines and you should be safe.

Any questions, reply here in the OOC thread, or PM me. And WELCOME!!

Hi. I now have the book I ordered, but with the ending of school at one school and the starting of school at the other (and the end between) I haven't been able to read much or really get into the traumatic experience of chargen yet (for here or for finishing my Firefly character)

A very quick update, but we have a total of 4 "new" players about to join the game. 2 are already in the process of creating or converting old Tekumel characters to play in this D6 game, and 2 additional players (husband and wife in reality - which I think is awesome; also they are Tekumelphiles to boot) are going to join in the coming day/s as well. I've recently sent them the basic instructions on initial character build.

I still need to hammer out the difficulty levels of the spell listing in the conversion doc. What I've done already in the "Group 0" spells is given the primary magic or miracle "skill" used to roll against the target difficulty. Now, please keep in mind, that is the target when you are sitting alone in a tranquil garden trying to perform the given spell. Under the edge of a Chlen halberd, in scorching heat, with a priest about to scorch the skin off your body, now try and do the same spell; it's going to have some difficulty thrown in in addition. :) So, long story short, I'm just giving a very basic target difficulty to reflect basic "level" of the spell. Also, please note that I have added pre-requisite base skill levels per "Group" of spells:

http://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AYHt4br8uMMZZGR2aGdkMnFfMTUwY2drYmM0Zjk&hl=en

We may need to play with all of the pre-reqs and target difficulty numbers over the first few weeks of the main campaign to balance the magic users and priests of the group. It's a bit of a balancing act trying to keep the feel of Original :EPT, while not properly nodding the D6 flexibility of it's magic system as a whole. I'm thinking Pedhétl (Magic Points Per Day) may be where we make adjustments more judiciously. I'd rather you still have the flexibility of the D6 magic system, but not to the point of becoming EPIC characters amongst the relatively fledgling group.

Which also brings me to another point, overall experience of your characters. Given the relative experience of Hanumal, and of some of the proposed characters, I may opt for handing out a few extra D in primary skills. Don't quote me on that. Let me get everyone's character sheets up and posted to the Game Information thread in the coming day, and we'll see what would be fair for all.

Overall, as stated before, I want everyone to enjoy themselves, don't get hung up on the system in use, and "be the character". Just jump into it... and don't look back.

Just as an FYI, now that the prequel thread for Hanúmal hi'Kharsáma is nearing completion, I am assembling the story here, in case anyone wants to read it without the post-by-post formatting.

I estimate at this pace it'll be completed now within the week.

Thanks to anyone that's been following along; I hope you're enjoying the story!

Edited by Lee Torres

Slight change in campaign premise; but the voyage will be an expedition as opposed to establishing a colony (though in time that may happen as well). Also of note, there may be the need to private message one or two of the intro tidbits to particular characters so be on the lookout for those messages in the coming day/s. Other characters will join the expedition based upon an Imperial notice for able bodied workers of varying backgrounds; which I am in the process of writing now.

Just as an update, the Hanúmal Prequel Thread is now complete. I will be adding to it for possible publication elsewhere - after the writing of the siege was complete I found a great resource on Tékumelani battles, so I'll be adding in some more details to the lead-up and the aftermath, but that's just detail. The story is told; hope everyone enjoys it.

It's really hard to believe I thought at one time it'd be a brief history. A shade over 22,000 words and around 6 forum pages / 49 printed pages (now available in PDF format!) later, I think I've got a decent background for an adventuring character! Hope he doesn't die in the first week, though... ;)

Just as an FYI, now that the prequel thread for Hanúmal hi'Kharsáma is nearing completion, I am assembling the story here, in case anyone wants to read it without the post-by-post formatting.

I estimate at this pace it'll be completed now within the week.

Thanks to anyone that's been following along; I hope you're enjoying the story!

Edited by Lee Torres

Just a heads up that until all the character sheets for the starting players are fully vetted, I'm keeping them in a single google doc. (see Game Information thread for link) Once vetted, I'll have you each individually post the character sheet in reply to the Game Information thread so that you can edit it at-will to denote current Body Points, equipment, magic points, etcetera as you desire.

Completely off-topic, but... re-watching David Lynch' "Dune" tonight has very much sparked my Tekumel juices. I need to re-read the book as well. I think it's the wonderful alien'ness of the material that is intriguing in both Herbert's works and Barker's.

I've been thinking about renting "Apocalypto" since at least part of the inspiration for Tekumel is the Mayan, Aztec, Toltec, and Olmec civilizations (or at least some of those).

I've also been thinking about picking up the Indian miniseries "Ramayan" for background on a number of campaign ideas. Eventually it'll reach critical mass and I'll buy it, and add it to the EPT viewing list...

Has anyone seen Apocalypto? Any opinions?

Edited by Lee Torres

"Has anyone seen Apocalypto? Any opinions?" - I personally thought it was done very well. Go into it without any expectations and I think you will be pleased. It's definitely worth a look.

"I've also been thinking about picking up the Indian miniseries "Ramayana" -

Are you referring to this potential movie? : http://www.dancewithshadows.com/movies/ramayan-3392-ad-movie-in-the-works/

That actually looks like it could be cool.

OR are you referring to the 1987 tv series?

Anyhow, here is an online text of the Ramayan stories.

http://www.godandguru.com/ramayan/index.html

I've never read them before but will now..

They also have the Bhagwatgita online..

http://www.godandguru.com/bhagwatgita/index.html

Interesting works.. I've never studied Hinduism or Hindu texts to any great extent. I can tell that Barker must have read both of these works.

Here is a decent site with the Vedas, and other Hindi sanskrit texts translated...

http://www.sacred-texts.com/hin/index.htm#vedas

Edited by Lubidius

I was actually referring to the old one, but good find! Interesting to see the update. I've been interested in the Ramayana (and have a translation in my collection already) because it seems in a lot of ways to be Tekumel-like science-fantasy, with the Vimana and Pushpaka taking to the skies to blight enemy territories (with what sounds like the ancient world's description of nuclear weapons) and characters like Hanuman the Monkey King (one of the naming inspirations for Hanumal, the other two being Han Solo and Mal Reynolds).

You should definitely check the Ramayana out. I've considered on a few occasions making an RPG to play in that pre-historic mythic India setting, but I don't know if there'd be any interest, especially since I'd want to make it relatively "pure" and not throw in a lot of extraneous stuff. I mean, when a character can leap from the West to the East, and the Vimana can lay entire regions waste, what more over-the-topness do we need? Oh, and the main character and his wife are avatars of gods... :)

I'm going to attempt to wrap up my prelude posts by very late tonight. I want to go ahead and start some initial role-playing on shore and let the folks that have not supplied character sheets yet join in just before debarking.

Short Updates:

-I will soon intro Lee's character Hanumal into my prelude / main plot thread. His character will be a pivot into the main plot.

-I will continue the Mathin Prequel thread soon to start bringing that character towards the main plot line.

-I am still waiting on 3 players to confirm/finalize character sheets. They will be introduced to the main plot line individually via prequel threads (short duration ones) to attempt to bring them into the fold as they are ready to begin the game.

Thank you for your patience.

All characters. Please allow yourselves an extra "2D" in Skill dice. Please do not raise any skill more then "4D" above attribute base.

This is just a measure to reward the amount of effort (and patience) folks have put into establishing well defined characters, all of whom reflect more experience then a new explorer.

In addition, any Human player characters may allow for a bonus of "1D" in any modern language upon character creation to more directly reflect the Advantages - Bilingual (R1) allowed by default for Humans. You are not 'forced' to take on the advantage by the way. If you are running a character that hates other languages for example, play it as such (and make decisions as such).

Please note that I will be re-writing the Magic section of the conversion document to more closely reflect magic in Tekumel. Based upon some extremely detailed (and well thought out) notes provided by two new players (who I will intro very soon) the two extra-normal attributes will now be "Ritual" and "Psychic". I will clarify this as soon as possible, including a more precise list of spells available to each skill within the Ritual and Psychic attributes. I had always meant to re-evaluate the Magic section of the conversion document, and they've given me ammunition to do so.

Edited by Lubidius

In case you want to see the concepts of the two new characters, they are at the bottom now on the character doc I'm keeping. These are works-in-progress.

Also, please read above a few posts in that I've upped the starting skill dice to 9D, and I've given human characters an additional 1D in a modern (human) language of choice.

Just a heads up that I had a lot of stuff come up yesterday.

My plans:

- Get Hanumal (Lee's character) intro'd first into the main thread. (already writing this)

- Get the two newest players to be registered on the board. They've submitted, but need Magman to approve.

- Both of those newest players are still massaging their background stories, but as you see in the character google doc, they have some very nice characters in the running.

- Start getting the other characters into the main thread over the coming day/s.

- Then we will be cooking with Crisco.

Thank you for your patience during this. I've had a lot of family and job stuff rear their heads of late.

I was extremely tempted to make this your ocean guide:

crazynativedude.jpg

It looks like a Tekumel version of Mic Jagger.

I saw this when reviewing some 4th of July impulse buys from Stardock, one of which was the "Atlantis" series of pc games.