D6 Online 3.0
Lubidius

Out Of Character Thread.

From Lee : "battlefield flashback to the days fighting Yan Kor be acceptable?"

My Reply: That would be more then acceptable.

I'm mostly attempting to piece together behind the scenes some plots, sub-plots and metaplots at this time. A lot of that is actually feeding off your Prequel thread; so as long as you are comfortable continuing on your own as you are, if I see anything a little off-base or which would conflict with any histories I may be working on, I will PM you. So far you are doing extremely well. As long as you steer clear from immortalizing your character beyond the scope of someone of your character's experiences; you should be fine. You are writing generally enough, and not "bestowing" much to your character, so continue to have fun with it! I hope you are enjoying it as I'm enjoying reading the prequel postings. I think this mutual establishment of recent and further past histories converging into primary plot works very well. Sometimes I'll even set aside flashback threads for folks to toy with certain aspects of their past. I will even occasionally post flashback storylines of NPCs you have met during the campaign. It really connects the players to their roles and their world; and also feeds hooks to the GM in the process. It also allows the players to take a break from traditional back and forth (ugo, igo) posting, and loosens up their virtual sinews. I just think it's good practice, with freedoms you normally would not get at the tabletop. Also, considering that a lot of the folks here are practicing D6 GMs, it kind of gives them a little free reign to explore the world in their own minds too. In a more public forum setting, I might take in the reins a little.

Edited by Lubidius

Just from writing the above post, now I'm thinking of setting aside a thread of "Legend And Lore" which would include whole sub-histories and past plots. Hrrm... You see, PbP can be extremely satisfying if you let it. A lot of people can't stand PbP, but I for one love it's possibilities.

Just a heads up that we now obviously have Lee and Janus' characters running through some prequel threads up to the main plot. In effect, we are just waiting on Kalzaaz character to come into the fold. Once his character is completed (he is amidst finals at college right now, so giving him some time to breath before starting!) I'll let his character have about one week of prequel threading, and then we'll start the main plot. We have a 4th player (a female player at that, a wonderful rarity that I've always felt adds a much needed dimension to player groups) who will come into the fold mid-June. Just a short update.

In other news, I finally got my orignal print copy of "Man Of Gold" by M.A.R. Barker (1984) and it's in wonderful condition. Almost mint, with just some yellowing on the edges and a bend mark on the spine. Otherwise, it's almost as if it just came off the shelf at a store as new. I'm only a few chapters in, but I have to say, I'm very pleased with it. Considering the somewhat thick verbage from the original:ept game book (1975), I was thinking his fictional prose may be thick too, but it is not. It is extremely readable, but still chock-full-of details. Also, I think the lack of individual letter markings in the text helps my western eyes a bit in reading through. I highly recommend this book to anyone that can find a good condition used copy. I will purchase "Firesong" as soon as I finish this one.

Ok, just so everyone is on the same page (literally):

My immediate (in-effect) source materials for this campaign will be:

The Empire Of The Petal Throne (1975)

The Man Of Gold (1984)

Flamesong (1985)

As I purchase new materials over time, I will consider adding them as "in-effect", but please consider the above as our canon for this campaign. From that material forwards, this will be "our Tekumel". It is likely to diverge significantly from M.A.R. Barker's own line of history and materials there-of post Flamesong (1985). Of course, I will make every attempt I can to keep it in line with the intent of the setting and original game. I really like the feel of the original 1975 version, and I hope that old-school flavor with D6 mechanics comes through.

With that said, I know that Kalzaaz has ordered a print copy of GOO's Tekumel: Empire Of The Petal Throne (2005), and from what I've seen of it's table of contents, it is basically an extremely cleaned up re-write of the original 1975 game. There may be some slight additional tidbits, but nothing major to contradict the original game. With that stated, it is actually a good stepping stone into Tekumel that I will likely purchase once I find a used copy and have spare change in hand for.

My "next" intended purchase will be Sword & Glory Volume 1 : World Book from Tita's House Of Games.

Just a heads up, that in addition to the materials already in my hands, we will generally adhere to the time-line, including the Recent Events as described here:

http://tekumel.com/world_history11.html

As discussed with Lee privately, we have agreed upon a start year of 2370 A.S. just after the events listed on that web link of Recent Events on tekumel.com

As stated before, I currently own

The Empire Of The Petal Throne (1975)

The Man Of Gold (1984)

Flamesong (1985)

and will soon own Swords & Glory Volume I, but other then that, I need to put up the check book for a while to catch up on all this material (and not go further broke). I will however seek out as much supporting information as possible from the Blue Room archives and other materials found on Tekumel.com or in the tekumel yahoo groups.

According to the timeline in the Guardians of Order book, "The final outcome left the surviving Princes and Princesses negotiating with each other and in 2369 A.S. a Kolumejalim was held at which all of the siblings abstained in favour of Prince Mirusiya, who was confirmed as Emperor." So, by setting the campaign in 2370, the events are immediately after the end of the Civil War, and in the first year of the Reign of Emperor Mirusíya, “Resplendent Flame.”

With the darkness of the Civil War freshly past, it's a good time to be adventuring!

I second that emotion. I've told him privately similarly. I was going to hold off a bit until he brings it up to the main plot, but I will post over to the Tekumel main yahoo board of it's existence (and it's strength of adherence to the Tekumel milieu). Having the novel very fresh in my mind (I'm about 200 pages into Man Of Gold, and Flamesong just came in the mail yesterday) I can say he is doing it mad justice. I'm even thinking of pushing it privately to my Lulu account and doing a paperback version for my shelf it's that good. Ok, now that his head is REALLY INFLATED (justly so), pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbfffffffffffffft - <lets the air out> All joking aside; it is some of the best pbp prequel postings I've run as a GM.

Actually, this comes at a good time. I was looking over some of my Tsolyani language resources, and noticed I had some stuff wrong (like please and thank you... manners maketh Man, or something), so I went through and made a number of minor corrections today, but otherwise was feeling pretty much like a giant doofus. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it!

Stay tuned, night will be falling in a few more posts, and things will get interesting... ;)

Edited by Lee Torres

I'm trying to wrap up the prequel soon so we can start playing. I may (either on the original thread or elsewhere) expand upon certain scenes I'm feeling as though I'm rushing through to get to the meat of the story. In my mind's eye, the Ahoggya stampede was a lot more involved, but I'm hesitant to devote that much time to it since I need to get to the twilight encounter, as well as the aftermath of that...

Janus and Kalzaaz, can you please check in. Just checking if everything is going ok. If you need anything PM me. Kalzaaz, I know you were doing finals, and just checking if you have made it through to the other side in one piece or not? Anyhoo, please just post a quick reply that you intend on still joining in.

On topic, though different medium but Lee had been working on a conversion set of miniatures rules for use in the world of Tekumel; and I'm in the process of making MapTools icons and maps for an occasional (but tangential to the playbypost storylines) skirmish match. This could get very interesting, perhaps metaplots will take a turn for the worse if I fail miserably against Lee on the field of battle!! Just something fun on the side to keep our interests up and for fun to be had in getting eviscerated by Lee on occasion.

Edited by Lubidius

As Lubidius pointed out on the linked page, my EPT bash of Bad Endings is a work in progress, so if anyone wants to add to it, and I'm especially hoping for input on adding magic/ultratech to the rules, but time is tight so I can't devote a lot of time to it, please feel free to either PM me or otherwise get in touch - I'll be sure to share credit with anyone that wants to help me build on Craig Cartmell's and the Wrexham & District Wargamers already excellent base rules...

Actually, this comes at a good time. I was looking over some of my Tsolyani language resources, and noticed I had some stuff wrong (like please and thank you... manners maketh Man, or something), so I went through and made a number of minor corrections today, but otherwise was feeling pretty much like a giant doofus. I'm glad to hear that you're enjoying it!

Stay tuned, night will be falling in a few more posts, and things will get interesting... ;)

GAH! Today I'm doing a little more research in the language, and "chegukh" appears to mean "please" and "thank you" as I had thought - the other must be a more formal version. While I've been gathering up the game books but not the Tsolyani language stuff, I may now need to get them as well. It's maddening, I tell you!

This is the one I bought. It is rather complete.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=2231&it=1

If you look at it's full size preview you'll see it's entire table of contents.

This primer, I do now own, but perhaps down the road my finger will itch enough to Add To Cart:

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=1770&it=1

It looks to be a tad more user friendly, though I'm thinking it does not have the overall dictionary size that the original book has.

I would recommend getting the original, then the primer only if it just doesn't' click. So far, the original MAR Barker document has worked for me. I'm no Tsolyani scholar yet! by any means, but it is a great reference. As the language in this setting reflects the culture almost hand in hand (any culture on earth as well I would argue), its a good resource.

And then of course, further down the road, I may even pick up the CD-ROM titled -

The Tsolyáni Language Pronunciation Guide with Ceremonies and Music from the World of Tékumel

http://www.tekumel.com/tita/worldinfo.html

Edited by Lubidius
link typo on primer link..

Kalzaaz, if you could please reply with when you will be available to start the main plot line; I'd appreciate it. Once we have your character written up, we can bypass a prequel thread, and use your character as the main starting point of the main line.

Janus, if you could please reply to advise that you are still available to play in this PbP game, I'd appreciate the affirmation.

We have a 4th player who was going to be available within the week, and I will check with her again if she still plans on joining us.

Current recruitment efforts:

Lee Torres (existing player character, Hanumal)

One player who was interested over at my intention post at myth-weavers.com - I've PM'd him to see if he is willing to play in this sandbox.

One player who originally stated she would be available mid June. I've just sent a new email checking if she was still game.

One additional player that only today inquired, most likely from my Tekumel Yahoo Group posting on it.

I'll let folks know when we have characters posted for everyone.

Thanks for the links! Those rules look pretty interesting. Song of Blades and Heroes is my miniatures-game-using-whatever-random-minis-you-have of choice, and since I rarely get to wargame, I hardly ever get to play anything else (or even SBH, for that matter). Chain Reaction may be worth giving a go, though...I like the idea of an immersion game.

Thanks for mentioning "Song of Blades and Heroes" - I hadn't heard of it until you mentioned it, did some research, read some reviews, and will definitely pick it up soon! I noticed that there is already a Tekumel conversion in the SBH Yahoo Group, Song Of The Petal Throne By Mark A. Siefert, so that's a very cool thing!

Edited by Lee Torres

Folks. We should have at least two to three new players popping in here to the Out Of Character thread to intro themselves. I think we should have a more filled-out player group within the week.

Just a short update that we do have two confirmed additions to the campaign, with a 3rd "on-deck" to start soon. Also of note, I'll be editing the magic section of the conversion document from now through tomorrow eve with a cleaner table of what skills would be used by "either" a magic user or priest according to the D6 Magic and Miracle skills. Some spells will be available to both types, some will be available to only one. And for a good handful of the most powerful spells (when I refer to spells I'm primarily drawing from the original:ept(1975) rules; which were the primary inspiration for doing this PbP campaign for me) prerequisites will be more clearly spelled out.

I may add "additional" spells from the S&G and Gardasiyal, and T:EPT rules books as I slowly get my hands on them.

One of the original intents of this offering was to allow it to be approachable by newcomers and old hats alike. I originally felt that the original:ept rules were the cheapest and most readily available as pdf or re-print. A second intent was to harken back to the original feel for the setting; when it was still raw and fluid. I did however want to make it a tad more dynamic and growth capable by injecting the qualities of D6 Fantasy OGL into it. Not to re-direct it's original feel or intent, but to just inject a more modern rpg feel without loosing the original rule intent.

I still want that fluid aspect; expandable, to make it our Tekumel, beyond the timeline as presented at tekumel.com I do plan on honoring everything posted in their canon timeline up to and including their postings on "Recent Events".

I digress.... talk soon. I'll post again once the magic table is cleaned up in the conversion document. We are also waiting on the new players to have their user registrations confirmed here on the forums so they can begin posting here. I've PM'd Magman to see if he can move that forward quickly.

Edited by Lubidius