Lubidius

Out Of Character Thread.

302 posts in this topic

Use this thread to post Out Of Character notes and banter. This is the place you would notify me of pending absence and make fun of me to no end.

Just wanted to let everyone know that they may begin to post character proposals.

Extremely generally (still working on game background and plots) : the group will be starting off en route via ship. Some may be crew, some may be travelers, some may be pilgrims or priests, some may be young and wanting a new way of life. You will be leaving the port of Jakalla. The destination is a new imperial colony. I am still working on the particulars, but that is the very basic starting point. You can also be a non-human allied race. If you wish to take that route character wise, please PM me. I had not had time to spell out the available non-human race racial abilities so if you let me know one in particular, I'll flesh those out quickly for your behalf.

Please refer to this document for help in determining the method of character creation.

In particular, review the Character Creation paragraph. The only real difference from D6 Fantasy OGL is that you additional pick an Original Skill (or more then one). That should be described sufficiently there. If you don't understand it, let me know.

Please note that in the work-in-progress document; I'm still working on adjusting the spell difficulty levels (and potentially pre-requisites thereof, as some are extremely powerful.)

If you have any questions, then please PM me, or reply here.

Edited by Lubidius

In case it still ends up being just Janus and Lee interested in this game, I'd still want to make a go of it. I hope you both agree. Also, I've reached out to the forum at tekumel.com as well as the tekumel yahoo group to try and get a few more eyes on this offered PbP game. Hopefully we'll at least get a third player interested. That would be optimal, but again, I'm extremely willing to run it with just the two of you and just add an NPC or two as needed. I'm so interested in this now, I'd likely run a solo adventure if need be just to write something within this realm. The more I read, the more I'm hooked big time.

I'll additionally branch out to rpg.net if no more takers show up. There seem to be a goodly amount of Tekumelphiles there-in too.

With a small group, it may be interesting to start off with individual character pre-story threads. If you both are game, we could start in that method, and just add a third person (and fourth if they pop in) and inter-twine the stories into the metaplots I'm developing.

This is going to be a very tough rpg to pull off. I consider it a challenge; but one I think I can accomplish. I also think Play By Post would suit this level of detailed, more cerebral setting if you will potentially more easilly (at least in initial approach by newcomers to the setting) then face to face. The first month will be touch and go, so bear with me as I am still reading through gobs of research materials.

Edited by Lubidius

Just a heads up that both Janus and Lee have submitted character initial proposals. Once they are fully stated out, I'll post them here. I think this is going to be a very interesting game.

I am interested, just havent had a chance to get books and read, since its not something Im very familiar with yet

Kalzazz, if you wish, I could meet up in the chat room sometime this weekend and just walk through character creation. It would not take very long at all. A great majority of it you could do on your own with D6 Fantasy OGL. We could just chat a bit about the Tekumel background of the character, etcetera just to get you going. If it ends up being a character that just does not click with you ; we can always roll up another one a month or so from now. You should be able to from the information available at www.tekumel.com (in particular the sections linked here-in: http://tekumel.com/world.html) and the document I've been writing ; start a character off without knowing all the ins and outs of the cultures. I can help you along the way with that. I'm new to it too, so it's taken a lot of research to get to the point of even being willing to start. I think the setting is worth it though.

Complete Side-Note: One thing I did while reading the material to get my brain around the unfamiliar names and so forth (it can make your eyes and mind hurt a little to get around), was to just pronounce the first syllable in my mind while reading. Once I let my mind read at my natural speed, without allowing myself to trip over the constant use of foreign pronunciations, it helped me chug through the material with much more confidence. I then went back after each chunk of a few paragraphs and re-sounded out the words that were seen to repeat often. Hopefully I can make a glossary of terms which might help folks in that aspect of learning Tekumel. Something like a layman's tekumel dictionary.

Edited by Lubidius

If I could please have your proposed character sheets replied to this thread sometime by Monday, I would appreciate it.

Kalzaaz, I'll check Friday and Saturday night at 10PM and 11PM in the chat room (Eastern US Time) to see if you need any help getting a solid start on your character sheet. I'll get you up to the point of then moving along with d6 fantasy ogl to complete it out.

I plan on for the first order of business to allow you to each do a solo thread, describing the month's game-time leading up to the main campaign start. I will give you a starting point to work from, then I will allow you to work in Nearly-God Mode, in effect GM'ing yourself for a couple posts, then I may tell you to pause and let me take over a little bit to interject some story lines into your "pre-stories". I've found that this allows for a lot of creative room for players to poke at their characters a bit and get them ripe for the main campaign. In effect, the pre-story threads will be shared narratives, but we can use the d6 rules to guide it or keep it within the bounds of the system.

I'll supply more on that Monday, but until then, if you could please provide me a rudimentary character sheet, with a one to two paragraph description of your background, I'd appreciate it.

I've been looking forward to this game very much. I hope you have too.

Just a heads up that I've received an initial character draft from Janus. He will be playing a Urunen character, which will make for an interesting combination with the possible characters Lee hinted he was starting to stat up.

Just a short update:

Lee has submitted his final character sheet which will be posted to the Game Info thread soon.

Janus had requested a Urunen character, and has submitted a first draft character sheet. I just have to work with him on any Urunen special abilities and adv/disadv as needed.

Kalzaaz is awaiting his T:EPT book (the 2005 MOO edition) which will help him greatly to create the Priest character we discussed over the weekend. He will be running a druidic style priest of Avanthe.

Overall, we should be able to start within a week. At this point, I target Monday morning as first threads. I have company in town through the weekend otherwise I would have started sooner. Once I finalize Janus' character with him, I will open up prequel threads for both Lee and Janus to do single roleplaying threads up to the main plot when I bring everyone together into a group. I'll bring Kalzaaz's character into the fold in the main thread, or a single thread, depending on how fruitful the prequel threads become leading the characters up to the main plot.

I managed to find a copy of the Tri-Stat Guardian's of Order version of Empire of the Petal Throne over the weekend. I really I wish I had time to join the game. The setting is so very interesting and unique. You gents have fun and I'll definitely be keeping tabs on the game. :)

There's a set of minis rules that I really enjoy from a company called Two Hour Wargames (and there is a free version at the site, called Chain Reaction 3.0, for anyone interested in looking it over), and I just found out while websurfing for our PbP game that another company, in cooperation with THW, is working on a game called "A Band of Joyous Heroes" for miniatures skirmish in the world of the Petal Throne! I'm totally stoked - and since the THW rules use only D6s as well, it should be easy to transition from a D6 or Tri-Stat version back and forth!

Anyway, just wanted to share... :)

Edited by Lee Torres

Two Hour Wargames...Chain Reaction 3.0...Anyway, just wanted to share... :)

Thanks for the links! Those rules look pretty interesting. Song of Blades and Heroes is my miniatures-game-using-whatever-random-minis-you-have of choice, and since I rarely get to wargame, I hardly ever get to play anything else (or even SBH, for that matter). Chain Reaction may be worth giving a go, though...I like the idea of an immersion game.

Hey, Just a heads up that "The Dragon" magazine, Volume 1, Issue No. 4 has some really nice Tekumel articles. It is available as scanned pdf in this files section -

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/tsoludhaliyal/files/Tekumel%20Articles/

Along with some other good articles. You will have to join the yahoo group to get at them, but there is no waiting period to join. Just fyi.

Lee. I've posted a starting blurb to your prequel thread. Consider yourself in "Nearly-God Mode". You may take the reins until I stop you to interject. I suggest just writing a few paragraphs at a time to let me catch up to you and interject privately (if need arises). Otherwise, start having fun with it. This is one week prior to the main plot.

Janus, I've posted a quick starting blurb to your prequel thread. Same as Lee, you may act in nearly-god mode. Continue the story leading up through the week prior to main plot (which I will post more information on as we approach a convergence of threads). I will interject as needed. I suggest you write two to three paragraphs a post, giving me time to review each as you progress. I will interject or ask for dice rolls as needed.

Lee (and all)... once that company pairs up and produces http://thetekumelproject.blogspot.com/2009/11/band-of-joyous-heroes-teaser.html I'd be willing to try and create a http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php module so that folks here could play out some large battles occasionally in the late eve. (not related directly to the PbP, just for fun..) If anyone is interested, yell. I'll keep my eye out for when they release those mini rules.

Lee (and all)... once that company pairs up and produces http://thetekumelproject.blogspot.com/2009/11/band-of-joyous-heroes-teaser.html I'd be willing to try and create a http://www.vassalengine.org/community/index.php module so that folks here could play out some large battles occasionally in the late eve. (not related directly to the PbP, just for fun..) If anyone is interested, yell. I'll keep my eye out for when they release those mini rules.

Dibs on the Ahoggya mercenary units!

Janus, just a heads up that your private message limit has been reached. I am getting errors kicked back to me when attempting to PM you. You will need to clear out some of your older posts in the system to make room for new ones.

Hey. Good news. We will have a 4th player that will be joining the fray in mid-June. I've set aside a slot for her so.. yeah! a good size group now with 4 players. Perhaps even a 5th will join in soon.

Great news! Looking forward to getting started on the campaign. For the backstory, would a battlefield flashback to the days fighting Yan Kor be acceptable? I'd like the character to have an aversion to magic based on an incident back then, but don't want to run roughshod over any backstory you're developing. Let me know either here or via PM!

A quick note regarding post formats, for when we start moving into Traditional Mode postings:

Format Requested:

Body of text here, describing intended actions. With all speech clearly designated "with quotation marks".

[OOC: All OOC comments to the GM, and dice rolling should be like this; with a leading OOC marker. What I will do as the GM is subsequently archive all of your dice rolls for posterity sake, but roughly weekly, I will take all of the OOC comments out of the running game threads; to keep the threads neat and tidy.]

Within the OOC area of your postings, please provide all dice rolls that you think will be needed, but also provide 3 JIC or "Just-In-Case" rolls of 4D6. I will adjust the result as needed if your skill or attribute differs from 4D. Again, these are considered JIC or Just-In-Case. I find it can help me make quick GM decisions without having to PM you multiple times saying 'hey you forgot this or that'..

Here is an example of dice rolls being put into the OOC section of your post.

[OOC: Here is my OOC text, stating whatever you think I need to know as GM.

Dodge Roll - 23

Scholar: Alchemy Roll - 32

JIC: 14, 16,14]

I will hopefully make a cleaner description of the posting method and place into the Game Information thread tomorrow.