D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
hellsreach

Torg Update

When I bought WEG, it was my utmost goal to return Torg to print and develop continued storylines for this fantastic game. I never once stopped wanting to do that, though things often stepped into to place barriers in my path for doing just that.

There comes a time however, when one must realize that "if you love something, let it go..." This is especially true when that thing you love is destined to whimper and die in your own hands, but you foresee a far improved future in the hands of others. This is that time.

I am in dealings (the terminal stages) with another company, whose proprietor and come employees are long time fans of Torg and who has the finances and interest to develop Torg as their flagship universe. I can finally walk away with me head held high, knowing that my precious will be in good hands.

I know that this post is rather obscure and lacking in several hard details (it is not meant as an official press release), but I trust that more firm information will be forthcoming soon.

Thanks for telling us, Eric. I know that it must be a hard decision for you to let Torg go after all the plans you had for it. If it makes the separation any easier, maybe you can develop material for the new owners when you've got the time. I liked most of the ideas that you had for Torg 2, and I'm anxious wondering what the new publishers will do with it. I hope they pay you big bucks for the property.

I have always said that I not looking to sell Torg and any bidder would have to make me an offer I could not refuse. An offer that would cover my emotional valuation of the IP. Considering the deal is made, should be some answer to that,

I eagerly (but nervously) await the official announcement! I have a few ideas who it might be, though I'd be surprised at any of them making Torg their flagship game so I'm probably way off.

I expect that part of the deal includes the item I sent you at the end of the year. I consider that material to be about 50-80% complete for what it should be. If the new owners are interested in contacting me about it, feel free to give them any info you have.

Thanks for the annoucement, Eric. I assume that not only the TORG setting is being sold, but the TORG game system is included as well. What does this mean for simliar, derivative game systems such as the Shattezone system and Masterbook? Are they being included in the deal?

While I did want to see your vision for TORG, the general downward state "RPG economics" as well as TORG languishing for the last 15 years in the out-of-print bin did not help you.

Certain unavoidable "learning experiences" also caused a great deal more damage than they might have in previous eras, further hindering an otherwise commendable run as a company.

However, the brand recognition among the "industry insiders" remains so high that I am surprised that TORG hadn't been put back on the shelves even before even you had come along.

I can only hope that much of your initial work will deemed acceptable by the new "crew" as some of it seemed vitally necessary for inclusion in any new edition (such as trhe Psi Axiom).

I certainly hope that they'll at least give you the option to present some of your Cosm ideas in some publication or other in the future, as I really want to see your "over 30 Cosms" reach the light of day.

While I did want to see your vision for TORG, the general downward state "RPG economics" as well as TORG languishing for the last 15 years in the out-of-print bin did not help you.

Certain unavoidable "learning experiences" also caused a great deal more damage than they might have in previous eras, further hindering an otherwise commendable run as a company.

However, the brand recognition among the "industry insiders" remains so high that I am surprised that TORG hadn't been put back on the shelves even before even you had come along.

I can only hope that much of your initial work will deemed acceptable by the new "crew" as some of it seemed vitally necessary for inclusion in any new edition (such as trhe Psi Axiom).

I certainly hope that they'll at least give you the option to present some of your Cosm ideas in some publication or other in the future, as I really want to see your "over 30 Cosms" reach the light of day.

I have not transferring that material, as you were not compensated in any way. I will include it if you want me too, however. It is up to you.

skel, when the other company is announced, perhaps they will have forums that you and other old school Torg fans here can go to express your ideas. If they do, I think you should. I'd like to see the new Torg incorporate some of the ideas I've read on this forum.

Strictly speaking, Shatterzone and Masterbook Systems are seperate entities.

Intriguing. If they are sperate entities then perhaps they might be used again or also for sale. I'm certainly no expert in these game systems or in copyright law, but it would seem to me that if someone else besides WEG had originally published these systems, some of the text would be simliar enough for WEG to sue for copyright infringement. I admit I don't understand how future, seperate owners of these systems would be able to publish simlilar game mechanics text simultaneously under law. But then again, this line of thought is partially moot because who the hell would want Masterbook? :cool: But there does seem to be some interest in Shatterzone out there so I guess my query stands...

I have not transferring that material, as you were not compensated in any way. I will include it if you want me too, however. It is up to you.

It's probably best not to hand it over directly, but it would be nice to let them know the material exists and that I am open to contacting them about it.