D6 Online 3.0

Thanks for that. I am going to throw down for the original edition (the re-printed version from Tita's House of Games) as soon as I can arrange it.

I will check back in about a week after I compose a basic conversion based upon the online notes I can currently get my hands on. It should be enough to get started in a campaign with everyone. As we move along I'll start getting as many of the books as I can afford to; and expand a conversion document as needed by npcs and player characters.

I also want to read at least the first two novels, If I can find them in print anywhere.

Edited by Lubidius

My suggestion for ease of conversion would be to go all the way back to Empire of the Petal Throne (which it appears you are) - even though attributes are percentile, they break down as follows:

Strength (as an example)

1-40 Weak

41-60 Average

61-80 Strong

81-95 Powerful

96-100 Superb

So, while some range to six levels (or more in one case, Comeliness), it would be easy to to convert it like so:

1-40 Weak 1D6

41-60 Average 2D6

61-80 Strong 3D6

81-95 Powerful 4D6

96-100 Superb 5D6

Edited by Lee Torres

Yeah! Via the tekumel.com site, I burrowed my way down to a link that pointed me over to drivethrurpg's list of available pdfs (for the original version of the game, which I will be working from for our first campaign)...

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?cPath=185

Of course in doing further research on Tezumel; I've run into Talislanta, another rather unique fantasy offering. Which I'd also be willing to run way down the road. :) :)

For now, we are off to the world of Tezumel..... We shall meet soon....

This is a very interesting Tezumel vs. Talislanta thread which you might enjoy reading in your spare time...

Edited by Lubidius

I am familiar with Talislanta, since I bought the 1st edition way back when, and picked up the recent free edition. I might see how the game is shaping up and possibly join in later, but I'm not a huge fan. Don't know why, specifically. It's got some cool concepts in it, but for some reason it just doesn't engage me. I read the RPG.net thread already (and actually voted on it before discovering the thread here), and naturally given my history with Tékumel I put in a vote for the Empire of the Petal Throne! Long may Tsolyanu remain prominent amongst the Five Empires!

Edited by Lee Torres

In reviewing that rpg.net thread, I think we made the collective right choice in Tekumel. I think that Talislanta looks fine, and is likely a great fantasy game unto itself ; but I feel as an unfortunately western indoctrinated soul, it will take the likes of Tekumel to keep me from falling into the "so you meet at a typical western medieval tavern" mindset. Not to knock that type of game; we've all played it many times over and enjoyed it. I just have come to agree with the original sentiment that we should try something different, well formed,and engaging. Now here's to hoping as the GM I can pull it off. I'll do my best.

Edited by Lubidius
typos

Well, it looks like you're going to the best sources for background! I'm really looking forward to it. Been a long time since I've ventured out amongst the Pe Choi and Ahoggya in search of glory. To give an idea of how engaging the setting can be, one of the races inimical to mankind is the Ssu - they have two distinctive tell-tales of their presence; their language and body configuration makes a sound like chimes, and they smell like stale cinnamon. A few months ago at work, I was in the break room early in the morning getting coffee, and when I walked into the break room there was a strong odor of cinnamon in the room. While it's been years since I played, my first thought was one of dread. So it gets into your subconscious and lingers there for a while. I think it's a testament to the setting that the smell of cinnamon brings to mind something other than breakfast pastries...

This is another good rpg.net thread on getting started with Tekumel. The more I've been researching, the more intrigued I get. I kick myself for not knowing about this setting until now. I was a pretty avid original d&d player, but by 1980 when I started with "the red box" Tekumel must have already been buried amongst die-hards. I think if the internet was bigger much earlier, I likely would have heard of it.

This is another good rpg.net thread on getting started with Tekumel. The more I've been researching, the more intrigued I get. I kick myself for not knowing about this setting until now. I was a pretty avid original d&d player, but by 1980 when I started with "the red box" Tekumel must have already been buried amongst die-hards. I think if the internet was bigger much earlier, I likely would have heard of it.

I'm right with ya there. How come I've never heard of Tekumel or Talislanta before now? Both settings sound interesting and fun.

I downloaded the free Talislanta PDFs last night. I'm still trying to find a free source for more Tekumel information. Tekumel.com has been a great appetizer, but now I'm hungry for more! :) Most of the free sites I've found focus too much on the mechanics, but I'm more interested in the fluff material.

Rerun - start here, http://www.tekumel.com/world.html, then dive down into the layers - lands will not only give you proximity, but also a fair amount of history too - and the History section breaks down the immense story of Tekumel into about eleven historical eras...

Yes, been there... read it all. Want MORE! *laugh*

PS- Thanks everyone for all the links, they've been really helpful.

Oh my! Well, looks like you're hooked! The links above for RPGNow have the pdfs, which give not only the history, but how to speak the languages as well - I'll dig around and see if I can find anything else for free out on the web...

Just wanted to let everyone know I'm chugging along now behind the scenes and just reading through as many resources as I can get my hands on.

I have one assumption I'm going to make of all players, and that is that, unless you are destitute and nearly homeless, that everyone playing will purchase at least a PDF copy of the original rule-set. I think it is a solid game book, and well worth the $11 bucks from rpgnow or drivethrurpg.

This setting is extremely detailed, and I will constantly in the out-of-character thread be referring to pages from that original rpg book. It will make things go very much smoother if all players own a copy.

Please contact me privately (via PM here) if you do not plan to, or cannot purchase a copy. I'm sure I can get you over any character creation hurdles (as any GM face to face would when someone does not have the core books involved) either way, so just let me know one way or another. You probably wont need the book in hand or virtually on your desktop until two weeks from now. So you can definitely hold off until the next paycheck, or whatever you need to do.

Edited by Lubidius

Already got it in print. I also have a pretty good supplement for "growing up on Tekumel" that I was planning to use to create my backstory. After that, of course, I'd use D6 Fantasy to create the attributes and skills and so on. If it's needed, I could probably help other players with the same process, if they could meet me in Chat some evening and have some dice handy...

Edited by Lee Torres

Hey, wanted your opinion on this Lee. What do you think if I were to just remove my somewhat hokie 3D in Original Skill and 6D in Professional Skills split on character creation, and just handle the Original Skills verbatim from the original EPT rule set? The Profession Skills would then just fall into existing skill system of the Fantasy D6 OGL, and then everything would pretty much just run as is other then potential racial differences in limits and such, which I'm still syphoning through and converting to D6 terms. I kiind of like how the original EPT rules handle the Original Skills. It's basically a background "job" previously performed in your life. (or continued to be performed). I think trying to convert that to D6 standards is just muddying it up a bit.

Edited by Lubidius

I agree - that's how I'd handle it if I were doing a conversion - probably easier to stick with their skills, then apply them to the D6F attributes (another easy conversion). That and it'd make converting old EPT characters way easy (if one were inclined to do that). Might help if you come across any stats for major movers & shakers in the setting (like Baron Ald of Yan Kor, or any of the Princes vying for the Petal Throne...)

Edited by Lee Torres

At least at this time (until I'm convinced otherwise) you will use that percentile rolling only for Original Skills. It's a one time thing. It's really just a roll to determine if you get more then one "background". These are extremely generic background skills, and pretty much will only come into play if you run into someone with a similar background. It's more for character development then useful round to round.

The Professional Skills will encompass straight up D6 Fantasy. You'll get 7D (as a human character) to distribute as you normally would in D6 Fantasy. Those will represent your adventuring skills for lack of a better synonym.

I hope that makes sense. Give me a few days to clean it up further, but the basics are in place now. I'm just in the process now of putting up difficulty numbers for spells, then I'll work through a list of weapon d6 tables based upon their existing lists.

I'm trying my best to keep things D6 Fantasy, but in Tekumel setting, while throwing a nod to the original ruleset by trying as best as possible to run from their original listings (converting as required).

I'll yell when I think it's in "beta" form.

Edited by Lubidius

I can probably rework the percentile tables to D6 - might take some time to get the probabilities perfect, but it's absolutely doable. Would be nice if the finished conversion document used only six-siders, I think.

How does this sound as a replacement... I didn't go for an exact conversion here ; but something a tiny bit more realistic while keeping some flexibility.

Roll 2D6,

Roll of 1-7 you get to chose ONE background Original Skill from Group 1 or 2.

Roll of 8-10 you get to chose TWO background Original Skills from Group 1 or 2.

Roll of 11 or 12, you get to chose TWO background Original Skills, from Any Group.

When you have ONE background Original Skill it starts at 6D.

When you have TWO background Original Skills, they start at 4D.

You can "opt" to only have ONE background Original Skill if desirable.

Reasonable?? or just scrap the whole Original Skills entirely, and just let people write up a generic background... :) The intent I think in the original EPT rules was to help establish background story for otherwise unimaginative souls; which I know you all are not.

Edited by Lubidius