D6 Online 3.0

Hey. [Pulls out Will GM For Food placard]... I would like to take a stab again at gathering interest in a Fantasy play-by-post game. There are a lot of space opera PbP here now, and perhaps folks would like a little fantasy on the side.

I'm thinking of finding an OSRIC or Labyrinth Lord free module online for a starting point and working my way out and about from there as a baseline. Any takers?

Think straight up AD&D using D6. That would be what I'm shooting for, but of course not bound by the leveling. D6 Fantasy would be the core book I would use.

I can be convinced to GM something entirely different as well.

I can be convinced to GM something entirely different as well.

I would really like to get into a D6 Fantasy game. However, I seem to have a problem. A lot of the fantasy settings I read about are either too generic, too derivative or just too damn boring (at least to me).

Generic DnD, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Middle-Earth just doesn't appeal to me anymore. I would really like a setting I can sink my teeth into... a setting where magic really is magical... a fantasy setting that just jumps out and says "play me!!!"

The two fantasy games I have sitting on my shelf that I truly enjoy are: AD&D: Dark Sun and Earthdawn 2nd Ed. Both of these settings have such unique worlds. The races are fleshed out well, the backstories are interesting, and magic is something mysterious.

All I'm saying is, if you decide to GM a Fantasy D6 pbp game, please don't make it just another cookie cutter fantasy game... and I'll be standing in line to play it. :)

Edited by Rerun941

Thank you for the suggestions. I'd be willing to GM either setting. I'd have to get my hands on the original core products, but I think I have friends that have several books from both settings. Let's see what others who may reply have an inkling towards, then I'll pick the one that appears to be the most desired.

Do either of you have any inkling towards Exalted? I have never played it, but It seems to have a pretty solid following.

Whichever of these is ultimately chosen, I'd lkely just use the setting and feel, but ultimately utilize d6 fantasy. I think the storytelling rulesystem from Exalted would be easiest to convert to D6 Fantasy OGL. That is strictly from my understanding of that system through nWOD core rules which were recently free on drivethrurpg.

I'm completely open to any of them: Dark Sun, Earthdawn or Exalted. And of course, anything else folks might be interested in running.

Edited by Lubidius

Exalted made me remember one I'd like to see converted - Qin, from Cubicle 7. Probably as a side-effect of running Firefly I've gained an increased interest in Chinese history and myth (and even cussin'). Something like Qin would be awesome. Of course, Exalted would be good too. I'd suggest a hybrid of D6 Fantasy and the Exalted 1st Edition Quickstart (which, for what it's worth, I highly recommend - and it's free at the link!).

Edited by Lee Torres

So a D6 fantasy game using a world set from another book? I have no problem with it. Would the races only be the ones in the world setting of choice, or for an example choose to play a Kitsune in a western S&S?

Addition: I'm not sure how magic works. There seems to be a main "Magic" Skill, but then 3-4 sub-skills? Then there are individual powers?

Edited by janus methedor
Questions for after reading D6 F Book

In D6 Fantasy, there is a Magic "Attribute", into which you may put dice and pips into upon character creation, then there are the separate 4 "Skills" within that attribute: Alteration (Change Existing Objects), Apportation (Involving Movement Of Existing Objects), Conjuration (Creating Something From Nothing) and Divination (Obtaining Knowledge). It works out rather well actually. I would port over the spells from the setting/rules of choice, and do an approximation of difficulty target as well as determine if certain spells should also have pre-requisites of one form or another. After reviewing the potential settings, I'm thinking of taking a stab at Earthdawn.

Earthdawn, ok. Do you have a compilation site I could review or should I wiki? and in D6 are you using creation points?

An Aside: This should be interesting my main (only) hands-on exp. is with WEG Star Wars, so I'm looking forward to trying this. So I guess what I'm trying to say is bear with me.

Good Luck with the Run

and

Thanks For Reading

I've got one - fantasy, although with some (very ancient and hidden) sci-fi elements. Empire of the Petal Throne - Tékumel!

Someone ran that in D6 I'd be droolin' like Pavlov's dogs when the bell rang... Lots of good info here and here.

Edited by Lee Torres

I've got one - fantasy, although with some (very ancient and hidden) sci-fi elements. Empire of the Petal Throne - Tékumel!

Someone ran that in D6 I'd be droolin' like Pavlov's dogs when the bell rang... Lots of good info here and here.

I had heard of Tekumel here and there, but that wiki description really wet my appetite. I really liked what I read.

Browse around this - http://www.tekumel.com/world.html - Tekumel is one of my all-time favorite fantasy settings. I was introduced to it through the original boxed set back in my early days of gaming, and have picked up almost all of the published books except for the last Guardians of Order version. I'll remedy that as soon as I find one somewhere that's not vastly overpriced... If whoever owns the rights now was interested in publishing a D6 OGL version, I'd be bugging the local game store non-stop until I had it in my hands!

That is a darn nice looking setting (Tekumel) I'd be willing to run any of the afore-mentioned settings.

DarkSun

Earthdawn

Exalted

Qin

Tekumel.

So, if all of you that are potentially wanting to take part, can you please list them in order of your preference? If we start one and it just doesn't float people's boats, I can easily switch gears after a couple months of posting.

For me, my interest from highest to lowest would be Tekumel,Earthdawn,Exalted,Qin,DarkSun. (The last three of which are pretty much a tie for me.)

Edited by Lubidius
Typos

Here's my list, highest to lowest (with ties)

1. Tekumel

2. Exalted

3. Qin

3. DarkSun (tied for 3rd)

4. Earthdawn (only because I don't know enough about it...)

If you go with Tékumel, this freeware adaptation, Tirikélu, should help (especially with magic items and "eyes")

http://www.tekumel.com/downloads/Tirikelu.pdf

http://www.tekumel.com/downloads/TirikeluCSheet.pdf

There are some good ideas in the other freeware rules variants as well - http://www.tekumel.com/gaming_unofficialrules.html - should be pretty easy to adapt to D6 Fantasy... There's a D&D 3.5 conversion in there, and elsewhere there's a good conversion for Savage Worlds - http://home.earthlink.net/~djackson24/Delbert6a.htm

Needless to say, if that's your choice, I'm in!

Edited by Lee Torres

Just hit Google for more info - Earthdawn looks good too - I'll move that up to tied for second.

YAY! Earthdawn really is a solid fantasy setting, glad you like it, Lee.

Rerun and I appear to have similar tastes.

1. Tekumel

2. Earthdawn

3. Exalted

4. Dark Sun

5. Qin

Tekumel looks pretty fun "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

Ok, unless a bunch of folks show up with "Tekumel Sucks!" placards, I think it's the winner. Also, I think it's a good idea to use a setting with a decent amount of online information available. If I could have a week to get my bearings straight within the setting, I'll put up a game proposal when I'm ready to start accepting players.

I am excited to try this setting out. And I'm always game to try the others down the road if this does not 'click' with the group for any reason. We can set a re-assess date and go from there.

Tekumel looks pretty fun "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic"

Ya, I thought the alien colonization, pocket universe and "thinning" of the barriers between dimensions were intriguing. Makes for a solid explanation of artifacts and magic.