Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Malakor

d6 for Super Powered Gaming

11 posts in this topic

Apologies in advance if this is the wrong section for this question.

I've been working towards using the d6 rules for both my pulp setting and my fantasy setting, and this weekend my gaming group said that they'd love for me to run a superhero setting that I've been kicking about for sometime, and frankly, most of the superhero rules out there I find to be a bit intimidating and/or confusing (This from a guy who ran Rolemaster and GURPS for several years :P ).

I was wondering if any of you have used the D6 Powers and/or Godsend Agenda in play and how well it worked for you.

I have both, as well as the Old, original Godsend Agenda by Khephera (sp?), and the idea of using d6 appeals to me.

Thanks for any help.

D6 Powers works quite nicely. For me it is one of the nicest and simplest Super Hero systems out there. I especially like the gadget rules.

Please await other responses in regards to d6 powers and godsend, but I highly recommend the simple 4 color system originally devised by TSR for Marvel Super Heroes RPG.

This version is a clone of the original ...

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product_info.php?products_id=50837&filters=600_0_0_0_0

or the original MSHRPG books as pdf (including ALL of the original modules) can all be found at -->

http://www.classicmarvelforever.com/

If you do not use the rules there, you can at least find some good information on just about every Marvel or DC character to date.

Ive never done it, but I have D6 Powers and it seems very cool

What a horrible product, I am truly glad my name is not attached to it! Oh, wait, I guess my name IS in the book. All kidding aside, Jerry did a good job of take all the good parts of the DC system, merged it with his setting and did an even better job of distilling it into D6 Powers. If I had not tweaked my own D6 rules for my unreleased D6 projects, I would definitely use D6 Powers as my main D6 rules and add other books as needed for the few things not in it.

D6 Powers Revised seems a generally good product; my only objection is that it assumes the (generally inferior to my mind) Body Points method rather than the Wounds method, and this would require reworking some things to avoid it.

Believe me when I say we tried it. It slows the game down isn’t practical when dealing with beings who can stop a train with their mighty thighs

Body points work a lot better than the wound system when dealing with supers. Soak rolls versus wookies large hurdle in Star Wars imagine that times 10 when dealing with a super.

I would suggest trying the game with wound points to see what I mean. It won’t matter much when you’re dealing with Joey Bag-O-Donuts the mugger but when you’re fighting Omega Titan the Destroyers and he has A Physique of 10D and extra wound levels to boot the game will slow to a crawl.

Jeery, I don't mean offense, but I'd have to suggest that's an implimentation problem. Mutants and Mastermind's Toughness save mechanic is not radically different from Wounds in how it deals with damage, and it works fine there. The only issue is that the multiple die pool means as you get near and below the Strength of the target, the chance of doing anything becomes vanishingly small, but that's an example of what I was talking about with implimentation. There are ways you can set it up so that doesn't come up much (extending the Wound system so that a marginal success provides a penalty to successive rolls for example, which I do in the regular game anyway).

But Body Points just don't cut it to me, and doing some extra work to avoid them would be well worth my while were I to use Powers and D6 to run a superhero game.

No worries paragon I’m not offended. I’d be the first to admit that my design skills can be dodgy at times:o

I would be curious how you would implement the wounds system in a game.

Edited by Jerry D. Grayson

If I ever do a mod for supers, I'll surely post it on here. My plan for my SF D6 game is to apply a -1 cumulative penalty for successive wound checks for any check that succeeds by five or less. That also addresses some of the issues that can come up with moderately high strength characters taking, say, handgun shots.

Hmmm... I was toying with a d6 conversion of the old Tom Moldvay game, Lords of Creation. (Basically an evolving, cross-genre, supers campaign). d6 Powers seemed to be the way to emulate the Powers and abilities of LoC.