D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Lubidius

Pick-Up Chat Room games...

Just had an idea for pick-up games. How about "Gladiator D6"? This would be obviously very easy to throw people to Lions... literally! The more I think about it, it could make a very interesting springboard for additional materials.. Hrrrm... I would add a good amount of flavor to the events.

Thought it might be neat to also do chariot races and perhaps even http://www.the-colosseum.net/games/navmachiae.htm which were naval battle depictions held in flooded arenas. A GM's dream! How many ways to kill your players to the delight of a crowd. No just kidding, we'll let the players be more then lion fodder.

Here's some food for thought... inspiration if you will...

http://www.rebelpublishing.net/pdfs/Are_You_Not_Entertained.pdf

Of course, we'll use d6. Just thought the figures and scenery were rather cool in there.

Edited by Lubidius

My Fridays are hopefully going to be open for a while so I may have to drop in and play, if you don't mind. I was just thinking the other day how cool it would be to do a Sparticus style game.

Red

If you both are still game (pun intended) I can show up at 9PM this Friday, and we can just do a pick up arena match. We can use MiniSix as the rules base for simplicity sake. [i can be convinced later to use D6 Fantasy OGL, but for fun and simple sake, lets do MiniSix].

I recommend you both bring 3 to 4 pre-written characters as this may end up being a blood bath. Keep in mind some of the archetypes as described in that game I linked above. Of course, please no magic. I will be running as an historical rpg. I may do something in the future more fantasy based, but not for now. I may even do a Septimus arena style pickup game; simulating the gladiators they have in that setting. Something to at least get folks into Septimus without having to do a full long running campaign.

Please confirm you intend on attending by replying to this thread. I think if we have at least 2 warm bodies we should be good to go. I don't plan on playing for more then 1hr or 2hr max.

Edited by Lubidius

I'll try and also whip up like 5 or more fodder characters for folks to chose from as well. This first night, let's just concentrate on having fun with it, and playing with what information is needed for me to post as the fight progresses. This first night will be a dry fun run.

And yes, 9PM EST this Friday Feb 19th.

We'll play for a minimum of one hour, and maximum of two hours. To keep the pace quick and bloody.

Can't make this friday as I am running games at one of the local cons that is running this weekend. But next firday I look available at this point.

Red

Just a heads up that if you are a Netflix subscriber, they have the new Spartacus : Blood And Sand series online in their Watch Instantly section. It is a little over the top (300 styling but overdone in spots), but it's decent.

Lubidius,

I have to bow out of tonight. Last minute plans popped up. I will set aside some time for next Friday though. Red will be available then too, so we will have at least two guaranteed in attendance.

That is fine. Thanks for the heads up! I will postpone an inaugural slaughter until Friday the 26th. That will give me time to fully write up as many weapons and perhaps a special rule or two by then.

That is fine. Thanks for the heads up! I will postpone an inaugural slaughter until Friday the 26th. That will give me time to fully write up as many weapons and perhaps a special rule or two by then.

Sweet! I am looking forward to it! And it will be my first chat room game ever.

Whenever you can drop in would be great. Even if you just played for a short time. Trust me, there will be plenty of opportunities to drop dead, I mean drop in. :) I'm glad this was post-poned a week actually. I've been able to do a goodly amount of research. I will post all of the information I produce on the opend6 wikia site so that it can be used by others in the future. I should have a good amount of starting templates described or fully fleshed out in the coming two days.

Edited by Lubidius

Added a few sample characters. I also added a couple small additions/changes to minisix rules. Nothing major. Only small changes to add some flavor to combat between varying types of gladiators. It's still a work-in-progress.

http://opend6.wikia.com/wiki/Gladiator_D6#Sample_Characters

See you all in the chat-room tonight at 9pm eastern us time.

I've had unexpected stay-over guests show up at my house. They have a child that will be sleeping in my computer room by the start time. (Squatters!) So I will have to schedule this for another night.

That's cool We had snow time here in Northern Jersey and since me and my girl barely get to spend time together we had a nice night out. I know we'll get to play sooner or later so I have no worries about it.

Red

In case any of you want to peek at the notes I've been taking on the subject... http://docs.google.com/View?id=ddvhgd2q_138gnjxdqj3

Of course, I'm combining as much as I can of them into the actual posted rules at --> http://opend6.wikia.com/wiki/Gladiator_D6

Through one of the links on that notes page, you can get to this interesting page with modern day re-enactors... I thought this was rather neat..

http://www.clemens-fritz.de/gladiator.htm The author of that page has some very good notes about the topic mingled amongst the pictures. Also take note of the movie they made of a re-enacted fight near the bottom of that page.

I'm becoming absolutely addicted to this topic. It's fun researching it. Hopefully I can get the feel down pat for the game rules. It will take some time an play-testing.

Edited by Lubidius

Just a heads up... in case you do not have STARZ on your cable/satellite tv, and you also do not have Netflix "Watch Instantly" access, the main website for Spartacus : Blood and Sand has the first two episodes online for free:

http://www.starz.com/originals/spartacus

Well worth watching...

So you all tomorrow night ; around 9pm in the chat room for a match or three...