D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Whill

Which OGL, please?

Thanks for joining us, Eric.

We have discovered that somehow, there are two different versions of the OGL. To see them both and compare, look at the OGLs on the last pages of the PDF of D6 Space, and D6 Legend (available on the OGL links thread in this forum). Please help us determine which is correct and we will unify all of them with the correct OGL. The PI is stated differently and we need this clarifcation to proceed with the STL proposition.

We would very much appreciate your imput. Thank you.

Edited by Whill
"Which OGL, please?"

These are the two that I found:

DESIGNATION OF PRODUCT IDENTITY

The following items are hereby designated as Product Identity in accordance with Section 1(e) of the Open Game License, version 1.0a: Any and all West End Games, WEG, and D6 System logos, identifying marks, and trade dress; all cover and interior art and illustrations.

Product Identity: The D6 System; the D6 trademark, the D6 and related logos; OpenD6 and any derivative trademarks; and all cover and interior art and trade

dress are designated as Product Identity (PI) and are properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc. Use of this PI will be subject to the terms set forth in the D6

System/OpenD6 System Trademark License (D6STL).

The bottom one is the one from the books released from the WEG site before it went down.

Having it expanded to include the titles of the books, which it seems that Eric was under the assumption that it covered already, and any other trademarks not already listed would be a good idea. Someone had mentioned that some of the other trademarked game systems were in the books. It would be a good idea to have them covered so that they are not released into the wild, as it were.

The top one may actually cover the most ground. How about this?

The following items are hereby designated as Product Identity in accordance with Section 1(e) of the Open Game License, version 1.0a: Any and all West End Games, WEG, Purgatory Publishing and D6 System logos, identifying marks, trademarks and trade dress; all cover and interior art and illustrations. Use of this PI will be subject to the terms set forth in the D6 System/OpenD6 System Trademark License (D6STL).

That should pretty much cover everything.

Darren

The D6 trademarks are mentioned specifically, which includes the associated names (per copyright/trademark law as well as the OGL's main body itself). I'm not making any claim to the words "Space," "Fantasy," "Adventure," or "Customizable Roleplaying Game" seperate from the D6 trademarks.

Checking the OGL statements in all the downloads, I've noticed another problem. The section 15 (copyright notice) is wrong in Gamemasters Aid & Screen and D6 Space Aliens (it refers to D6 Space, not the actual product that the OGL statement is attached to.

Okay, so the D6 System book, the Gamemaster's Aid & Screen and D6 Space Aliens all need to be corrected to match what are on the others. Are there any others that are incorrect? And should the PI section be reworded to encompass more? If we're going to do this, we might as well tackle all the ones that need it at once rather than pecking at them here and there.

I think I got the OGL for the Gamemaster's Aid & Screen and D6 Space Aliens from D6 Space. So wouldn't that means D6 Space is wrong also? I thought there was only one OGL so I didn't read it or compare to any others.

I'll be happy to update PDFs with the correct OGL, but if the OGL needs updated or confirmed then we should tackle them all at once.

Edited by Whill
typo

I think I got the OGL for the Gamemaster's Aid & Screen and D6 Space Aliens from D6 Space. So wouldn't that means D6 Space is wrong also? I thought there was only one OGL so I didn't read it or compare to anoy others.

I'll be happy to update PDFs with the correct OGL, but if the OGL needs updated or confirmed then we should tackle them all at once.

Once the copies have ben modified, let me know and I will download them all and update all the downloads on my site so that we can make sure we have all the correct ones being distributed.

Darren

I think I got the OGL for the Gamemaster's Aid & Screen and D6 Space Aliens from D6 Space. So wouldn't that means D6 Space is wrong also?

The only thing that's wrong with those two is that the copyright notice still says D6 Space - it needs to be changed to the name of which product it is attached to.

Once the copies have ben modified, let me know and I will download them all and update all the downloads on my site so that we can make sure we have all the correct ones being distributed.

Same here - the sooner we can fix the OGL in the books the better.

We're still waiting for the official OGL. There are at least two versions. The PI is differently stated. I've stated which PDFs I made and where I got the OGL I used.

Can everyone who made an OGL-version PDF please reply here with which ones you made, and where you got the OGL? Maybe we can resolve this discrepency until Eric has time to intervene. Thank you.

Edited by Whill

I assume that the OGL statement in the originally released books (D6 Space, D6 Adventure, etc) is the correct one. I have no idea where this new one came from.

If we wish to change it, I would suggest:

DESIGNATION OF PRODUCT IDENTITY

Product Identity: The following items are hereby designated as Product Identity in accordance with Section 1(e) of the Open Game License, version 1.0a: The D6 System; the D6 trademark, the D6 and related logos; OpenD6 and any derivative trademarks; Any and all West End Games/WEG logos, trademarks, identifying marks, and trade dress; and all cover, interior art and trade dress are designated as Product Identity (PI) and are properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc. Any use of this PI will be subject to the terms set forth in the D6 System/OpenD6 System Trademark License (D6STL).

Open Game Content: All game mechanics and materials not covered under Product Identity (PI) above.

It covers all the bases from the two versions and keeps the D6 System/OpenD6 items as Eric would like them listed.

Edit: I got "mine" from discussions with Eric. :D

Edited by Temprus

We're still waiting for the official OGL. There are at least two versions. The PI is differently stated. I've stated which PDFs I made and where I got the OGL I used.

Can everyone who made an OGL-version PDF please reply here with which ones you made, and where you got the OGL? Maybe we can resolve this discrepency until Eric has time to intervene. Thank you.

Temprus attached the OGL used in D6 Legend. I sent the file over to have the OGL pages attached, following Eric's example from when the first D6 Core books were released.

I did the D6 System Book. I copied the OGL text direct from the D6 Fantasy book OGL statement (pdf id: weg51013_D6_Fantasy.pdf) and simply changed the names from D6 Fantasy to D6 System book. So, if as Eric mentioned, the D6 System book's OGL is completely wrong, then it must mean some of the D6 Fantasy book's OGL is wrong, since there seems to be a couple floating around. We just need to figure out the correct OGL statement so it can be fixed on all of them.

I'm waiting to find out the exact wording that it should be before I make any changes.

That was the "unofficial" or maybe call it the pre-release of D6 Fantasy (because I did not have that PDF yet). All of the Eric approved "official" batch of D6 products used:

PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION:

Product Identity: The D6 System; the D6 trademark, the D6 and related logos; OpenD6 and any derivative trademarks; and all cover and interior art and trade

dress are designated as Product Identity (PI) and are properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc. Use of this PI will be subject to the terms set forth in the D6

Open Game Content: All game mechanics and materials not covered under Product Identity (PI) above.

Edit: D6 Fantasy had 3 releases that I know of, The "pre-release" without pictures; the version I made with the above text and the pre-release file; and the "final" with the whole book and the above PI statement.

Edited by Temprus
Typos, they are not my friend.

The PI that's in D6 System Book isn't the one that's in the copy of the D6 Fantasy book I have - as Temprus says it must have come from an old copy.

Yay, we've found the source of the error! :)

So the OGL that has been attached to the D6 System Book, D6 Space Aliens 1 and Gamemaster Aid & Screen just needs to be updated to the one that's currently used in D6 Space/Fantasy/Adventure.

I did the D6 System Book. I copied the OGL text direct from the D6 Fantasy book OGL statement (pdf id: weg51013_D6_Fantasy.pdf) and simply changed the names from D6 Fantasy to D6 System book. So, if as Eric mentioned, the D6 System book's OGL is completely wrong, then it must mean some of the D6 Fantasy book's OGL is wrong, since there seems to be a couple floating around. We just need to figure out the correct OGL statement so it can be fixed on all of them.

I'm waiting to find out the exact wording that it should be before I make any changes.

The PI that's in D6 System Book isn't the one that's in the copy of the D6 Fantasy book I have - as Temprus says it must have come from an old copy.

Yay, we've found the source of the error! :)

So the OGL that has been attached to the D6 System Book, D6 Space Aliens 1 and Gamemaster Aid & Screen just needs to be updated to the one that's currently used in D6 Space/Fantasy/Adventure.

Thanks everyone! I think we are making some progress. I must have gotten the OGL for Aliens and the GM Screen from the cookbook. So the current Fantasy PDF has the correct OGL, correct?

So the only PDFs that need updated are the cookbook, Aliens and the GM Screen? IIRC, Grimace did not attach the OGL when he scanned the cookbook. He asked someone else to do it, and perhaps they used an old OGL in error. Then I unknowingly used the cookbook's erroneous OGL in Aliens and the GM Screen.

Also, does each product's OGL have to be personalized for each product? I didn't read the OGL when I used it, because I thought they were all identical (and I hate reading legalese). Is the title of each particular product in the OGL somewhere? I ask because I will be happy to start correcting these when I get time, but I only want to do it once. Thanks.

Format should be as follows, replace red text with actuall numbers/names:

15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE

Open Game License v 1.0 Copyright 2000, Wizards of the Coast, Inc.

BOOKNAME (WEG #####), Copyright ####, Purgatory Publishing Inc

West End Games, WEG, and D6 System are trademarks and properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc.

Final OGL Example:

15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE

D6 Fantasy (WEG 51013), Copyright 2004, Purgatory Publishing Inc

West End Games, WEG, and D6 System are trademarks and properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc.

PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION:

Product Identity: The D6 System; the D6 trademark, the D6 and related logos; OpenD6 and any derivative trademarks; and all cover and interior art and trade dress are designated as Product Identity (PI) and are properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc. Use of this PI will be subject to the terms set forth in the D6

EDIT: The OGL items 1-14 are the same for all OGL documents. I used the potential wording for PI in the example.

Edited by Temprus

UPDATE: I've had an opportunity to review the PDFs a little more today and re-read this thread. I've made some discoveries.

1. I did not use the OGL at the end of the D6 system cookbook afterall. The OGL I used for Aliens and GM Screen is different than the one on the cookbook. That means there are at least three OGLs floating around.

2. I did use the OGL from D6 Space. But my D6 Space was different then when I just re-downloaded it.

That was the "unofficial" or maybe call it the pre-release of D6 Fantasy (because I did not have that PDF yet). All of the Eric approved "official" batch of D6 products used:

PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION:

Edit: D6 Fantasy had 3 releases that I know of, The "pre-release" without pictures; the version I made with the above text and the pre-release file; and the "final" with the whole book and the above PI statement.

So, you got the "official" version from Eric or approved by Eric?

Format should be as follows, replace red text with actuall numbers/names:

15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE

BOOKNAME (WEG #####), Copyright ####, Purgatory Publishing Inc

Final OGL Example:

15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE

PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION:

Product Identity: The D6 System; the D6 trademark, the D6 and related logos; OpenD6 and any derivative trademarks; and all cover and interior art and trade dress are designated as Product Identity (PI) and are properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc. Use of this PI will be subject to the terms set forth in the D6

EDIT: The OGL items 1-14 are the same for all OGL documents. I used the potential wording for PI in the example.

Thanks, but what do you mean "potential wording"? That PI wording matches your earlier post which you said that was the "official" OGL PI, and that matches the D6 Space I just downloaded. Do we have an official version of the OGL or not? "Potential" makes it sound like it is not official.

Since you seem to be the one the most in the know Temprus, why are there so many versions? Why were any versions of the PDFs ever posted without an official OGL? We could have waited.

And finally, when the PDF downloads were updated with the latest/potentially official/official OGL, was that update posted on the forum so everyone knew? If so, an administrator I chatted with earlier and myself both missed that announcement. I did become a father this year so maybe I missed it.

If I missed it, then my apologies to everyone for this snafu.

If I had known abouit the updated OGL, I would have long ago updated my PDFs, and I would have had the correct version of the OGL when I made the two PDfs I contributed. I wouldn't now have to re-make two PDFs and perhaps fix others as well. And all of you wouldn't have to re-download everything to get the correct version.

Edited by Whill

Weird, when I typed it up, I thought I HAD the "potential" version that combines what Eric approved with the additional suggestions in it, looks like I posted the "official" Eric version instead. :D I had too many windows open that day.

All books that are wegxxxxxOGL.pdf where xxxxx = the WEG #, should be the "official" releases. All others were made by others trying to help before Eric could get me the files he had (technically D6 Fantasy has two versions with that name but the same OGL section, one with pics, one without).

The wording of the PI section was worked out by Eric and I (and whoever else he had on his end). If I remember correctly, I stole the format from which ever OGL book I opened first (I know it was a "major" publisher but I forget which one), the rest was Eric wanting the D6/OpenD6 as posted.

The example I wanted posted should be:

15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE

PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION:

Product Identity: The following items are hereby designated as Product Identity in accordance with Section 1(e) of the Open Game License, version 1.0a: The D6 System; the D6 trademark, the D6 and related logos; OpenD6 and any derivative trademarks; any and all West End Games/WEG logos, trademarks, identifying marks, and trade dress; and all cover, interior art and trade dress are designated as Product Identity (PI) and are properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc. Any use of this PI will be subject to the terms set forth in the D6 System/OpenD6 System Trademark License (D6STL).

EDIT: All of the "official" versions were posted by Eric on the WEG site itself with links in whatever thread we used as the announcement thread (the post was updated as we added each file, the D6 Fantasy was just file swapped). The other versions were posted in that same and other threads, one was even posted on Eric's profile. I can't get search to work right, or I would post relevant links.

SECOND EDIT: http://www.wegfansite.com/forum/showthread.php?822-OpenD6-Update-Thread&p=18962#post18962 <- First post that all the then live links.

Edited by Temprus

Weird, when I typed it up, I thought I HAD the "potential" version that combines what Eric approved with the additional suggestions in it, looks like I posted the "official" Eric version instead. :D I had too many windows open that day.

All books that are wegxxxxxOGL.pdf where xxxxx = the WEG #, should be the "official" releases. All others were made by others trying to help before Eric could get me the files he had (technically D6 Fantasy has two versions with that name but the same OGL section, one with pics, one without).

The wording of the PI section was worked out by Eric and I (and whoever else he had on his end). If I remember correctly, I stole the format from which ever OGL book I opened first (I know it was a "major" publisher but I forget which one), the rest was Eric wanting the D6/OpenD6 as posted.

The example I wanted posted should be:

15. COPYRIGHT NOTICE

PRODUCT IDENTIFICATION:

Product Identity: The following items are hereby designated as Product Identity in accordance with Section 1(e) of the Open Game License, version 1.0a: The D6 System; the D6 trademark, the D6 and related logos; OpenD6 and any derivative trademarks; any and all West End Games/WEG logos, trademarks, identifying marks, and trade dress; and all cover, interior art and trade dress are designated as Product Identity (PI) and are properties of Purgatory Publishing Inc. Any use of this PI will be subject to the terms set forth in the D6 System/OpenD6 System Trademark License (D6STL).

EDIT: All of the "official" versions were posted by Eric on the WEG site itself with links in whatever thread we used as the announcement thread (the post was updated as we added each file, the D6 Fantasy was just file swapped). The other versions were posted in that same and other threads, one was even posted on Eric's profile. I can't get search to work right, or I would post relevant links.

SECOND EDIT: http://www.wegfansite.com/forum/showthread.php?822-OpenD6-Update-Thread&p=18962#post18962 <- First post that all the then live links.

Thanks again for your replies, Temprus. And thanks for your efforts to get things rolling with Eric in the first place.

This is not a thread to suggest potential revisions to the PI language of the OGL. That is only confusing the issue at hand. Send your suggestion to Eric directly. Here we were trying to get strait which OGL Eric approved (most recent version), and update the current downloads that have an incorrect/outdated/pre-official OGL.

I will disregard the potential suggested PI wording, and go with the currently available download version of the OGL which Temprus has stated is the official version last approved by Eric. I don't know when I'll get to this. I'll try to do it tonight, but my wife and baby boy often change my plans with no notice so no guarrantees.

Edited by Whill