D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
copeab

Support your local Axiom levels

A lot has been said about the Living Land's Spiritual level not being supported by the miracles available there. However, this is really just one example of many.

For example, the LL has a Tech of 7, but if you read the description of Tech 7, LL really doesn't support it, being more around Tech 3 or 4.

The Nile Empire has a similar problem, victimized more by the broadness of Tech 21 than of the setting concept. There is little reason not to pound the Nile Empire with B-52's, a Tech 21 design -- just like the prop fighters the Nile uses.

How has anyone reconciled these problems? Or did you not consider them problems?

For example, the LL has a Tech of 7, but if you read the description of Tech 7, LL really doesn't support it, being more around Tech 3 or 4.

Yeah, that one's always bugged me. Out of game I expect the rationale was that Tech 7 would give Storm Knights and resident resistance communities a little bit of a weaponry edge over the invaders but in game it makes no sense for Baruk Kaah to have the realm's axiom that high.

Given how reluctant PCs are to enter the Living Land as it is due to its low Tech axiom, dropping it down to the more appropriate 3-4 was not going to endear it any further with my players so I never tried that. Should I ever get another Torg game off the ground I've considered letting the jakatts make better use of their Tech axiom by giving them bows and arrows, maybe miraculously forged metal weapons, stuff like that.

The Nile Empire has a similar problem, victimized more by the broadness of Tech 21 than of the setting concept. There is little reason not to pound the Nile Empire with B-52's, a Tech 21 design -- just like the prop fighters the Nile uses.

And don't forget dropping old fashioned atomic bombs on them! (Though I liked the in-game explanation that due to the Nile's pulp reality and weird science, the old fears that an atom bomb would ignite the atmosphere are plausible and no one really wants to take that risk.)

With the Nile I've tended to treat it as actually being Tech 20, which I think is also a better fit with the pulp era of the 20s and 30s that it's supposed to represent anyway.

With the Nile I've tended to treat it as actually being Tech 20, which I think is also a better fit with the pulp era of the 20s and 30s that it's supposed to represent anyway.

If some the "missing" Tech levels (1, 4, 6, 12) were "shifted" up to provide more differentiation in the last 200 years, it might help.

(I'm going to assume that Tech 1 represents things like chimps creating "fishing rods" for termite nests, beaver dams, etc).

Given how reluctant PCs are to enter the Living Land as it is due to its low Tech axiom, dropping it down to the more appropriate 3-4 was not going to endear it any further with my players so I never tried that. Should I ever get another Torg game off the ground I've considered letting the jakatts make better use of their Tech axiom by giving them bows and arrows, maybe miraculously forged metal weapons, stuff like that.

I always considered things like flint arrowheads and obsidian knives/blades to be usable by the edeinos. Since they are "natural" and usable without higher tech concepts like metalworking, I treated them as part of the land itself and therefore a gift of Lanala. All that's needed is a "Shape Stone" miracle, and you're good to go.

There are more than a few examples of Axioms not being all they could be.

Marketplace had Social 22, but even in the writeup for the Nippontech book it cites that the hold is tenuous and imperfect.

Dropping it back to 21 or even down to 20 would not be amiss.

And some that are simply ridiculous.

Nile Empire offers a Spirit of 17, I've always thought it would be better if the "Weird Science" which boosts Tech 21 to Tech 33 in the unreliable and unrepeatable fashion could also do so to the Magic and Spirit Axioms.

"Weird Mysticism" certainly would be in keeping with the expressed pulp magazine/movie serial/high action genre.

But that would dictate a massive retooling of quite a few things in the Nile book.

Terra did offer a "Weird Sorcery" template but it was seemingly quite unfeasible from my multiple explorations of it.

Tz'Ravok of the Ravagons offered a high Magical Axiom despite the Ravagons not having any access to it due to World Laws.

Tharkold offered Social Axiom of 20, only to then nerf that Axiom back to 12 in a World Law, I'm not certain what could be done there but it never seemed obvious enough that the Social Axiom's dual values were properly enforced.

If there is anything wrong with Aysle, it is more the story than the actual Axioms.

For instance, a sun bobbing in the center of the "wheel" that is Aysle would produce an effct where regions obstructed by mountains would be in perpetual shadow/darkness.

Thus the Dark Aysle/Light Aysle would in fact be a "natural phenomenon" within the Cosm itself.

According to Nippontech's/Marketplace's Tech Axiom writeup, on the issue of computers we have skipped right over Tech 24 and gone right into Tech 25 by now in REAL LIFE.

It is pretty much a universal problem with the blanks in the chart, if there was no actual development why have a number demarking the change?

After I read how GURPS uses Tech Levels (TL), I always wondered why this wouldn't be appropriate for Torg? Or at least be able to adapt the GURPS TLs for use in Torg. Similarly, use GURPS mana levels for Magic, create supernatural levels for spirit, and then adapt political-sociological elements for the Social axiom. (Tribes, City-States, Nation-States, Theocracy, etc.)

I've always said that I really liked the concept/setting of Torg, but I hate the implementation/mechanics.