Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jakspade

Help me with a Skynet/Terminator cosm...

8 posts in this topic

Well, I've finally decided that I want to run a Torg game for my group. I've chosen the cosms that I want to use, and have decided to add one from Savage Torg (Texarcana) that I think would add a nice spin to the game.

But I'd like to replace Tharkold with something else, and the only idea I could come up with was a Skynet/Terminator world, much like Terminator: Salvation, where Skynet has finished launching its nuclear assault on mankind, and has moved to exterminate the rest of humanity.

The problem is, I can't come up with good world laws. I'd like to use the "No fate but what we make for ourselves" quote as a world law, but can't think of what kind of effect that would have. And I haven't seen Terminator: Salvation yet, so I'm running blind here...

Can you guys help me put together some world laws for a Skynet/Terminator type cosm?

Thanks,

jak

So far, what I've come up with is something like this (bear with me, cause I'm still pretty new to all the Torg history):

Tharkhold no longer exists. When Thratchen began his invasion, the AI Skynet attacked at a vulnerable time and killed Thratchen and his subordinates. Once that was accomplished, Skynet took it upon itself to exterminate all opponents, humans and demon alike. Skynet discovered that it could alter the nature of the cosm slightly, so that not all of the Orrorshan cosmology flowed across, leaving a cosm resembling a slightly altered Core Earth. The area once invaded by Tharkhold remains a barren and radioactive wasteland, where terminator machines carry out the extermination of mankind. Man is running for his life, hoping to resist and survive until the destruction of Skynet.

Skynet -----------------------------

The Law of Survival of the Fittest

• Ords use "Possibility Rated" column of "Combat Results Table"

The Law of Man's Fate (No fate but what we make for ourselves)

• May spend one possibility (once per act) to produce a helpful "Setback" result versus opponents.

The Law of The Hunter and The Hunted

• The Hunter gains +3 to Test and Intimidation checks, The Hunted gains +3 to Stealth and Perception checks

It's interesting so far. The law of the survival of the fittest makes ords harder to kill, which is an advantage to unliving constructs which can't be p-rated. I'm not sure of whether the law of man's fate will work, but it does balance the advantage of the first law.

The law of the hunter and the hunted is interesting, but it's missing a definition of who those are. How about: "Once per adventure, each character may designate one target as their hunted. For the rest of the game, the hunter gains +3 to Test and Intimidation attempts against the hunted, while the hunted gains +3 to Stealth and Taunt attempts." I changed the Perception check to Taunt, because a PER boost made it better to be the hunted than the hunter. Or is that what you want?

It's interesting so far. The law of the survival of the fittest makes ords harder to kill, which is an advantage to unliving constructs which can't be p-rated. I'm not sure of whether the law of man's fate will work, but it does balance the advantage of the first law.

In my mind, this had the opposite effect. I thought the "Possibility Rated" table made Ords easier to kill... But, you're right, and it does make Terminators harder to kill as well.

I wanted the "Law of Man's Fate" to basically allow human characters the ability to add setbacks to the scene, much like the liquid nitrogen truck in the second movie, to give them the ability to try to get away. Perhaps this should only apply to chases, where the humans are being hunted?

The law of the hunter and the hunted is interesting, but it's missing a definition of who those are. How about: "Once per adventure, each character may designate one target as their hunted. For the rest of the game, the hunter gains +3 to Test and Intimidation attempts against the hunted, while the hunted gains +3 to Stealth and Taunt attempts." I changed the Perception check to Taunt, because a PER boost made it better to be the hunted than the hunter. Or is that what you want?

I like your changes. Perhaps being "marked as the hunted" needs to be a special ability, much like "Marked for Death" in Orrorsh. This might allow terminators to mark humans as hunted, and humans to do the same when confronted with a small amount of terminators.

My original idea with a Perception bonus was based on the idea that hunted animals are generally more aware that they are being hunted. If you know (or think, if you're paranoid) you're being hunted, then you're probably spending all your time keeping your eyes open.

Thanks for the response, it's helping me quite a bit.

I suggest not trying to connect Skynet with Tharkold, if you want a Terminator cosm just make it a Terminator cosm and forget about involving Tharkold.

One problem though with using something like Skynet as an invader in place of Tharkold is that its goal of exterminating life runs counter to what the High Lords and their Darkness Devices want/need, to drain P-Energy from the living. They also require living beings to support the existence of their stelae zones, without them a realm would collapse and the invasion would fail.

You're right, Kansas Jim, and that's why I'm rethinking the idea. I've been reading "Savage Torg", and I'm beginning to think that a Deadlands style cosm would be more appropriate.