D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
~HANZO~

D6 Cyberpunk

How much interest is there out there for a fleshed out cyberpunk setting? Not just rules for running the genre, But a fleshed out city to play it. With some twists and turns unique to the city.

I think it would do well as a shadowrun alternative. As seen in the 'why is d6 legends so unpopular' thread, I think it is ripe for the picking. If I may be so bold, I'd concentrate on more literary cyberpunk offerings like Neuromancer by William Gibson, or an off-shoot of your own making (as opposed to just a clone of shadowrun corporation style fantasy hacking.)

Here is a nice list of cyberpunk literature.

Edited by Lubidius

I agree with Lubidius. Stick to the literature for inspiration. I'm a steampunk fan at the moment, and I have found that the game with the best information in terms of gaming is Forgotten Futures. And the secret is that he built it from the literature itself. If you can do that here with a nice city setting for the game that is unique to the product here, that would be awesome.

As someone who has almost all the Shadowrun and CP2020 books, it would take a very very impressive cyberpunk fantasy setting to interest me

However a wonderfully detailed and complicated set of rule options for magic, automatic weapons, cyberware etc, and lots of statted out gear and monsters, with maybe some setting tacked on? I would totally be interested

I think that starting with a basis in old-school Cyberpunk, but introducing some of the tropes of more modern sci-fi might provide an intriguing setting - looking at the concept of a technological Singularity, where technology advances too rapidly for humanity to comprehend what is happening... For instance, raid the Transhumanist toybox, then move back to the time period where these advances are still being developed, or about to deploy to the public. If you introduce the concept of humans being able to upload their minds to a digital replica, you might have adventures in which the PCs are hired to prevent someone (an industrialist, world leader, head of a religion, what-have-you) from becoming functionally immortal through this process. I think that a "twilight zone" between Cyberpunk and Transhumanism might be the way to update the genre, which sometimes is denigrated for being too outdated...

Id always thought a good way to improve would be to add a proper Pantheon and such, either a made up one of your own devising, or add in say Greek or Norse gods, updated for the cyberpunk era

Depends on if it's a cyberpunk setting or a cyberpunk/fantasy setting. In a pure cyberpunk setting the "spells" would be solely used in dataspace, or cyberspace, or whatever you want to call it. In a cyberpunk/fantasy setting, they've got so much "essence" (or whatever) from their Meatside Cultists that the spellcasting just happens if you believe hard enough.

But my original suggestion was focusing on the pure cyberpunk idea, since the OP hadn't mentioned fantasy. Either one is good, and done right could have a following. Of course, any game done right will probably attain some kind of following, however small... ;)

I think for a unique Cyberpunk setting that is not just a clone of Neuromancer/SLA Industries/Cyberpunk/Shadowrun/Shatterzone/Dark Conspiracy..., you have to answer some questions first.

1) Is there Magic/Miracles/Psionics/genetically enhanced powers?

2) How much is SF technology integrated into society (only elite / widely available / elite but some of it stolen or produced in shacks / only secret organizations)?

3) Space travel / solar system travel / colonies in the solar system (and how long does travel/communication take)?

4) What has technology done to the society (dystopian society / wars / utopian mislead society as in Demolition Man / pseudo-democracy / something else)?

5) What has technology done to the nations (wars / destabilization / separatist movements - how about independent nations that only exist in cyberspace but are rather strong there)?

6) How is SF technology powered (where does the "oil" of cyberspace come from)?

7) How much of real life has migrated into the Net (Gibson had a clue but it becomes obvious with second life, WoW et al that he did not think far enough)?

8) Is the Net designed after one theme (as in Cyberpapacy) or are there differently themed Nets (a weak point of Shadowrun, there the Net can be designed any way the programmer wants but is not coherent)?

9) Is there a push that lead to SF technology (alien invasion / world war / genetically enhanced humans...)?

Edited by Stormchild

How much interest is there out there for a fleshed out cyberpunk setting? Not just rules for running the genre, But a fleshed out city to play it. With some twists and turns unique to the city.

*Otto raises his hand to vote yes on this*