D6 Online 3.0
Lubidius

OpenD6 Community Mag

Hey, as discussed over yonder, I'm going to start an opend6 magazine that folks can contribute to. I will publish it bi-monthly by posting online. Submissions will also be uploaded to opend6.com in the format their website requires.

Tentative website location -

http://opend6rocks.blogspot.com/

I may open up to the floor for a better virtual magazine name before the first issue comes out. The above is just a place-keeper for now.

The point of this magazine will be to concentrate community effort by keeping up interest in all things opend6. [Also to feed opend6.com with new material as articles are submitted]. I may even upload them to lulu.com (if they are print ready art wise) and make them available for print-on-demand "at cost" (in other words, not for profit). It may be nice enough for GMs to have actually in hand for their role-playing efforts offline. At least that would be the intent!

Edited by Lubidius

Go for it Emperor. No size limits or anything along those lines. Just submit as .doc (WORD) or .odt (OPEN OFFICE) format, and I'll lay it out on my end. Just PM me when you have something you'd like me to edit or review. I think the first deadline will be December 1st, with a release December 15th ; so take your time.

Nice side-note:

I had sent a small note to the author of that Star Frontiersman mag and he may even submit an article or two for this openD6 mag as time permits. He loves the rule set as much as we do.

Feel free to go ahead and reply with Magazine name suggestions.

Pandora's Boxcar (stole from Rerun)

...a play on Pandora's Box from Greek Mythology, and boxcar being a reference to getting two sixes when rolling two dice.

How 'bout Boxcar Nation? [by and by, I like all of your submissions] Keep em coming. I'd like us to end up doing a Poll on it. But keep em coming. I'd like to have about 10 or more possibilities.

Also, I thought I'd put this question on the table...

What do you see as an area that needs growth in the opend6 community?

I will be working on a few items and locations of potential use with Septimus. I hope to also include a prelude short story that I am working on for my Septimus campaign. I don't want to be the sole guide to content, so have at us. Give us ideas of what types of locations, equipment, npcs, anything you'd like to see in the magazine.

The floor is open for suggestions, and no submissions will be turned away.

I think something along the lines of the old Star Wars Adventure Journal. Certainly some crunchy bits, but likewise some different interpretations on the game would be great.

Another fan magazine that might be of help would be http://www.fudgefactor.org/.

And I still kinda like Pips. :rolleyes:

Boxcar Nation : An OpenD6 Community Magazine

- Issue 1 December 15th, 2009. [sidebar: FREE!]

[magazine title tentative to community polling]**

Example Table Of Contents

Me Love You Long Time : A Septimus Review by Peter Robbins [me]

Oderint Dum Metuant: A Septimus Short Story CHAPTER 1 by Peter Robbins

Villicus : a Septimus Template by Peter Robbins

An overseer of Extent non-complacents. A Villicus is a grand inquisitor of the Extent.

The Order Of Tobias: A Fantasy NPC Group. by Peter Robbins [Time Permitting]

The Order Of Tobias is a dark magic guild which performs ghastly experiments on the unwilling living and the available interned.

Pips : Hooks For Every GM by Peter Robbins & Others.

Categorized Hooks. 50+ per issue.

Any other submissions received by November 30th, 2009.....

Edited by Lubidius

Sounds good, I would not suggest listing 50 hooks each issue unless you have like a million of them. I would suggest more like 20 to 24 at most (a page or two depending on how they are described) and then creating a stockpile of them so they can be put in each issue as it goes along.

"creating a stockpile of them so they can be put in each issue as it goes along." - Good advice!

I think I'll accept hooks individually and keep and categorize them over time, releasing 25 or so at a time as you suggest.

So, even if you are not Shakespeare (God bless I am not) you too can contribute to the magazine by supplying one hook a mag! Hell, even keep them within Twitter size. Hrrrm, a twitter page for D6 hooks... Hrrmmm.. (NO EVIL!!)

I'm putting my email on the tentative mag site now -

http://opend6rocks.blogspot.com/

See top right for submission e-mail address.

"Dice Bucket" -- That has a decent ring to it. Eventually, I'll take the list everyone has submitted and put a poll up for them. I'm just using Boxcar Nation for the time being.

Edited by Lubidius

Creating a stockpile is always important so that one always has material to print without delaying the next issue. This is even more important when the source material won't be paid contributors, but volunteers.

Can we submit Star Wars oriented material, or is that going to get WEG in trouble? I know that LFL leaves fan mags alone when it comes to SW D6, but I'm not sure how things work legally with open D6.

Cheshire. Let me ponder that a bit. (regarding use of Star Wars IP). It may be safest to submit it as open d6 space compatible materials, which could easily be used in a Star Wars D6 game.

A complete side-note; but I'm hoping that all materials submitted will be chunky (substantive) enough to be easily used by any GM in any OGL rule set ; including d20. I would be very willing to include an Erratta Et Conversio on the website with d20 and other OGL based system conversions of all opend6 submitted materials. I think the more universally appealing and acceptable the openD6 community can be within the larger umbrella that is OGL, the better the fan base, and the more people will read and submit to the virtual magazine.

Edited by Lubidius

If you intend on submitting any material for the inaugural issue of an opend6 fanmag, please email me (my email is the submission link on the website in my sig) or PM your intended subject matter. I just want a general idea of what people are working on. I'd rather get one page of fully fleshed out material then a treatise, so keep that in mind please. The deadline will be November 30th to make the first issue; which I'll upload December 15th.

I'm going to disappear offline for a few days... talk soon...

Edited by Lubidius

As a suggestion for title, I go with Cheshire and propose "D6 Bucket".

Mainly because in Spanish, "cubo" means "bucket" and "cube". Yeah, not very original or even thought about, but I have not ingested enough caffeine yet :D

As a suggestion for the page layout "side art", I will take out the AK rifle and put a pistol (a Webley revolver, maybe) and a whip. And let people take any conclussion they want. ;)

Something "spacey", like a space helmet, or similar will be good too. After all, D6 covers it too.

Just to make it more generic, and not only show weapons.

The magazine is a great idea! Just to throw out other naming suggestions, how about "Dice Pool", "Six-Sided Gaming", or the "The Wild Die"?

And someone, somewhere, at some point needs to write an article titled "All your D6 are belong to us".

As far as content suggestions go, this magazine would be a fantastic forum for sharing any new Fantasy spells people come up with. Not only would it be fun, but it would really shore up one of the most common complaints with the D6 Fantasy book.

I think there should be a series of pieces that get used as icons to let people know what kind of content they're getting. So that they know if it's a group of new spells, character traits, weapons, equipment, and so forth.