D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Miek

[D6 Adaptation] Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time

This is a post re-write since the forum timed out on me the first time, hopefully I'll remember everything!

In my return to these forums I bring with me an idea for a new fan-created project. I've been running D20's version of Wheel of Time for a number of sessions now, and I've been thinking I could do it much better justice with D6. What follows are the ideas I've cobbled together for how I'd do it.

This is a sharp group and I'd love to hear feedback, ideas and comments on: 1. would this project interest anyone, 2. additional thoughts/ideas on what to change, how to do things, and 3. What I'm forgetting!

I've been reading Wheel of Time steadily for years now, but I always miss things. I'm also eagerly awaiting The Gathering Storm so my excitement has me spurred for this idea.

Anyway, onto the good stuff...

Advantage: Potential

Description: Your character was born with the natural spark of Saidar/Saidin, or they have the potential to be taught. The rating in this Advantage dictates the maximum level[/i/] of the character's Saidar/Saidin attribute.

R1: Max Saidar/Saidin 2D (ex. Morgase Trakand)

R2: Max Saidar/Saidin 4D (ex. Teslyn Baradon, Shiriam Bayanar)

R3: Max Saidar/Saidin 6D (ex. Egwene al'Vere, Elaine Trakand)

R4: Max Saidar/Saidin 8D (ex. Nynaeve al'Meara, Mazrim Tiem)

R5: Max Saidar/Saidin 10D (ex. The Dragon Reborn)

Male/Female Advancement: Men and Women advance in the Power differently. Men are said to "jump" in power while women rise in it gradually. For this reason, Men buy Saidin at 2/3 the cost, but must buy an entire die code before advancing, rather than buying +1, +2, etc.

Strength in the power: A character's strength in the power is determined by their current Saidar/Saidin attribute. Their potential is determined by the Potential Advantage. A character may only have 1D in their Saidar attribute at the beginning, but my have a potential of 8D. Determining another's Strength is a Weavesight roll for channelers of the same gender, as is determining another's Potential.

Holding the power: While one's Strength in the Power is determined by their current Saidar/Saidin Attribute, the channeler may choose to hold any level of the Power up to their Strength. For example, if Egwene currently has a Strength of 4D+2, she may choose to hold 1D, or 2D+2, or any level of the power less than or equal to 4D+2. Some weaves do not require a channeler's full strength, and holding more power than necessary makes it easier for other channelers of the same gender to feel the channeling (an Acumen roll). Also, inverting weaves (so they might be hidden from view) becomes more difficult the greater the Power used.

Over-Channeling: Channelers may choose to draw on more of the Power than their Strength, and even their Potential. Doing so has the potential to cause great harm to the Channeler, and should only be done as a last resort. The channeler may over-channel any number of dice equal to their Physique. Drawing more than this will utterly destroy the Channeler's body. For each die Over-Channeled, add 10 to the Channeler's Willpower roll, which is required to control it. If the Channeler draws 3D more than their Strength (Over-Channeling 3D), the difficulty is 30.

Treat the difficulty as if the Channeler had taken damage and the Willpower roll as if they were rolling their Physique to resist it. If the character fails by enough to be put Unconscious, they have been Stilled.

Angreal: Angreal are special magical items that act as a capacitor for the channeler. They aid and boost a channeler's Saidar/Saidin attribute by their rating when used. Most Angreal are rated 1D - 5D.

Weave Skills: Under the Saidar/Saidin Attribute there are 5 natural skills, each one corresponding to an Elemental Strand. The five elements are Air, Earth, Fire, Water and Spirit. Casting complex weaves that require more than one Elemental strand require more than one roll, one for each strand in the weave. If the weave requires Air, Water and Spirit for example, 3 rolls are necessary. If the caster wishes to weave all of the strands in the same round, multi-action penalties are levied on the rolls. (Those familiar with D6 Star Wars will note this is similar to how Force Skills worked)

Weave Affinities: Women channel Air and Water easier than men, and men channel Earth and Fire easier than women. For this reason, women may purchase Air and Water for 2/3 cost while men may purchase Fire and Earth at 2/3 cost.

Well gang that's it for right now. I'm scouring D6 Fantasy and Star Wars: Tales of the Jedi for spells/powers that simulate the Weaves from the book. If there is much interest for this, I'll post my thoughts on those here as well.

Thanks for looking!

I was wondering when someone was going to be bold enough to tackle this particular series of books. It looks like you've got a good basis to start from as far as the Potential and power and such. I don't see anything glaringly overpowered with what you presented. I did like that you offered some differences between men and women in how they gain and what they can weave.

I will admit, though, to having no great knowledge of the whole WoT series as I chose not to read it until it was done. *sigh*

But keep up the work!

The biggest question I think needs answering is when would the setting take place. The biggest problem I've always had with TWoT is the world has so little room for a real campaign to take place, in the current timeline, without the books finishing. Especially if you want casters in the world.

I've always felt a low-tech campaign set a few hundred years before the eye of the world would probably work best.

We will be making the game playable in any timeline you choose. I can't imagine it would be limiting, except in that we will probably be offering a few Advantages that are higher cost due to them being rare in the Third Age.

Also, we'll only be doing sa'angreal, ter'angreal and regular angreal from the books. It won't be too hard to think up some lost things from the Age of Legends I'd imagine though.

Update 10/19/09:

Greetings folks, I wanted to take a few minutes and write some updates on the WoT Project in case anyone was curious. It is moving forward at a steady pace. In the spirit of the Jedi Companion and Underworld RPG I did in the past, I'd like to try and make this the highest quality fan-material I can produce. In that vein I've been working on the Weave system and I have two systems I'm working with. Today I'd like to preview the first system and get some feedback.

This first systems makes use of 4 components to every Weave, Minimum Strength in the Power, Complexity of the Thread rolls, Formulae of the Five Threads, and Difficulty of the Weave.

Each Weave is made up of a combination of the 5 Threads of Air, Water, Fire, Earth and Spirit. Each one of these Threads is a skill under Saidar/Saidin. Casting more than one thread into a weave in 1 round counts as a multiple action (thus a 3 thread Weave must be cast at -2D to do in one round). Each Thread is rolled separately and added to a total difficulty. So you might roll 5, and then a 10, for a total of 15. If the difficulty is higher than 15, the weave must be added to in order to cast (requiring another Thread of the prime element, or the first in the formulae). So if you come up short on a difficulty, you don't auto fail. You just have to keep going. Failing it comes by failing to roll a Weave over its complexity, see below.

Minimum Strength: This is the minimum amount of Saidar/Saidin Attribute you must channel in order to cast the Weave. You may overchannel to achieve this level if necessary.

Complexity: This is the minimum difficulty of each Thread skill roll. If a Complexity is 10, each thread woven into the Weave must roll at least 10. Rolling less than 10 means the thread collapses and you lose control of the Weave, dissipating into the ether. There are 3 Complexities: Simple, Middling, and Complex. Simple has a minimum difficulty of 5, Middling is a 10, Complex is 15. In some cases, a resistance roll determines this number (such as a Weave meant to shield you).

Formulae: This is the formulaic make up of which elemental threads are required for the Weave to be cast. The first element listed is the primary element. Examples might be: Air, Fire and Spirit. Meaning Air is the primary element, with threads of Fire and Spirit added to it. Air must be the first skill used. Sometimes weaves require more than one thread of the same element. Elaine's Bonding is a good example, needing 2 threads of Spirit. This also helps determine the final Difficulty. Simply take the Complexity and multiply it by the number of Threads required in the formulae and add modifiers.

Difficulty: This is the final difficulty needed for the weave to be cast. Add up all the rolls you've made with all the skills involved and if it passes the difficulty, the Weave is successful. Normally this is automatic if the caster has never failed a Thread, but modifiers may push this beyond that normal limit.

Result Points: Rolls that are higher than the difficulty give Result Points as per D6. These points are divided by 2 and added to the Weave's effect.

Weave Effect: This is what happens when the weave is successfully cast. Most effects that require any kind of rolls use the caster's Saidar or Saidin Attribute. Damaging effects use the Caster's Saidar or Saidin Attribute divided by 2 much like determining Strength Damage.

Example: Healing

Minimum Strength: 3D

Complexity: Simple (5) for Wounded or less, Middling (10) for Severely Wounded or Worse

Formulae: Spirit, Water, Air

Difficulty: 15 for Wounded or less, 30 for Severely wounded or worse

Effect: The wounded character makes an immediate Recovery roll using the Caster's Saidar/Saidin Attribute.

I'm still playing with this system, and I know it's not perfect. If anyone has any feedback, please feel free. Difficulty is almost pointless other than giving Result Points, I know...

Anyway, up after this is the more traditional Roll Each Skill Against Separate Difficulty a la Star Wars.

Miek

Minor update:

Skill section, including new uses of Mettle and three new skills have been mostly written. The One Power will be next. By this weekend's end I hope to have the first draft of both finished and ready for revising.

I hope there is some genuine interest in this project. I've had a great time writing it! If not, it'll look pretty on my hard-drive. And the design is coming alone fairly well. No super cool images like in my Underworld or Star Wars PDFs, but I'm confident you will have a nice looking PDF to read.

I also plan to have a black and white version for easy printing.