Grimace

Into the Unknown: In Character - 'Here there be demons'

94 posts in this topic

Place: Elrankin System

The Elrankin system, consisting of 6 planets - one of molten rock, one of toxic gas, one dirtball that allows some semblance of life, and three gas giants. The charts, were they to go out this far, would have the system listed in the "Expansion Region", one week out from the Phu System.

The one planet, Elrankin, is a frontier world, a jumping point out into the Unknown Regions....into Wild Space. People that make it as far as Elrankin call this place the "last spot to look back at civilized space". It's classified, by whoever decided to actually go out and look, as a "Limited Service" starport. The reality is, however, it's a bustling collection of ships coming and going from dirtside landing pads and one overworked and underpaid flight control operator. The port could probably handle 8 ships a day, but surprisingly gets an average of about 40 or more ships a day coming and going. There's services...fuel, rechargers, food, water, air...but only one service provider with a two droid crew, and way more business than they can keep up with.

The advantage of this place, though, is no one really cares who comes and goes. They only care what you've got with you and if you're willing to sell it. The city, if you could call it that, around the port is sprawling and covers a large area in the middle of a vast prairie. Off in the distance to the East, some moutains can be seen in the distance. The city of Herren's Port is busy, and contains several budding and growing businesses. Scouting agencies have set up small outlets here to get people to sign up for the Scouting Corps. Private scout companies also go fishing for people to work for a private enterprise in hopes of finding the next rich world to be exploited. Shipping companies are also setting up shop in town. As more people come out to Elrankin, more supplies are needed. There are never enough pilots and ships to bring out the necessary supplies, so representatives of the shipping lines are always looking for some free runners who can work for cheap. For those who aren't really willing to give up their last vestiges of civilized life, this is usually where they work, as the shipping companies make weekly runs back and forth to the Phu system.

But for others with bigger aspirations, Elrankin is the jumping off point into Wild Space. They set out from here to find adventure, wealth, property, noteriety, or fame...whatever their heart desires. Some come back. Some are never seen again.

Those adventurers, those frontiersmen, meet at the various local cantinas to recruit crew from the people who've made it this far by hitching rides. Most who want to go into Wild Space either have the means to do it, or don't but have the will to do it. Those with the means are usually looking for someone foolish enough, or strong enough, to be a "go-getter" on expeditions into Wild Space. At the same time, though, there's opportunists who are just looking for a quick credit and then conveniently shirk their duties. So it has to be a sharp ship's captain who gets someone that might be worth their wage aboard their ship.

Drake, you and your shipmate Kadir, have taken your ship and your family to this jump-off point called Elrankin. The dry, dusty planet and run down look of the town surrounding the overfilled dirt landing fields really give you the feeling that this is the edge of known space. While the two of you can get the ship from point A to point B, you figured that you’d need some extra help to actually get out into Wild Space and stake your claim. Luck would have it that you were contacted by someone, a woman, who was hoping to meet up with in hopes of “getting away from everything”. Turns out this woman was someone you had met back when you worked for the Empire. She’s the daughter of some officer in the Corporate Sector Authority. You don’t remember much about her, but you did recognize the name, so you agreed to meet her and her travelling partner. Who knows, maybe they’d be willing hire on as crew for your ship.

Kadir, this is just the beginning of a hopefully bigger experience for you. You know you’re aboard a safe ship. Granted, you’re a bit disappointed that your specialties won’t all apply…you’re not used to working on capital ships, but you know you’ll pick it up in time. You’ve met up with Drake before going this far and both agreed to work together. You’ve met Drake’s family…his wife Swilja, and his two children. They seem nice enough, and they seem to keep Drake happy and preoccupied so you can work on other things uninterrupted. Now it’s just a matter of getting enough people to work all of the systems aboard this ship, the Cobalt Blue. The two of you can fly it, but you’re not going to be getting into any fights with it (hopefully) without more crew aboard. Now you’re on your way to meet up with a couple of others that have made contact with Drake. The two are a human female and supposedly a Trianii. You haven’t seen a Trianii before, but you’ve heard a little about them.

Gilea and Keenac, you’ve managed to get in contact with a human named Drake Morne. Gilea, you knew him as a junior officer in the Imperial Navy that once visited the Corporate Sector. He had talked of one day hoping to explore the unknown areas. With your recent troubles, you figured he was a possible person to get you far away from the Corporate Sector and your problems. With Keenac’s help, you managed to find out that Drake was out of the Navy and off on his own. You managed to get in contact with him and arrange for a meeting in hopes that he can get you far away. Then it was just a matter of getting to that point…all the way across the galaxy.

The two of you have been travelling for the better part of two months, taking the back routes and hitching rides. The last, spot you were at was the Phu System and you secured passage aboard a freighter bound for the meeting place…the Elrankin System. A week later, you found yourself about as far away from the Corporate Sector you could be and still be considered in the known galaxy. The run down town of Herren’s Port isn’t much, but you’re probably not going to be staying here anyway. You’ve roomed in a spartan but thankfully cheap hotel room for two days and had received word that Drake had made it planetside. Now you just have to get the young man to take you both aboard on his journey farther out into the unknown.

Daster, you’re sure that there’s no place left in the known galaxy where you can go that you won’t be found. Even with the Empire “gone”, there are still remnants of it around. The long arm of Imperial justice… yeah…”justice”….could still reach you if you’re not careful. So you’ve shakily piloted your Lone Scout to one of the most remote spots you could. It’s a spot you’d heard of once in passing, but you’re sure there’s no Imperial presence there at all. Too remote. Elrankin. You made it, but you’re not sure you could make it much further out. So you’ve got to find some way to get off this rock and out into Wild Space. Only there will you really be free from the reach of the last remnants of the Empire. Even the sight of your Lone Scout reminds you of the ever watching eye of the Empire. So you ponder what to do. Sell your craft? Take it further out?

You do notice a rather strange sight while you’re pondering the situation away at a cantina overlooking one of the larger landing pads. A Consular cruiser, modified rather heavily, has touched down. From it, a Duros and a human venture out. You can tell that the human is on the wealthy side. Oh, he wears clothes to make him look like a spacer captain, but they’re too clean…too neat. From their rather direct path of travel, you know they’re going somewhere in particular. You also notice that others have noticed the affluence of the ship’s captain. Perhaps those two might be able to help you. If anything, they might be interested in buying your scout ship. But maybe they might be willing to offer passage with no questions asked.

The cantina “Gys Drop” is the spot chosen to meet up. Gilea and Keenac had checked it out during their two days wait. It’s small, secluded, and no one pays any attention to anyone else in there; a perfect place to meet and talk in relative peace. The two of you are waiting at a corner booth, near a window looking out on the street.

Drake and Kadir, you know you’re to meet the two in a cantina named “Gys Drop”. You have directions and in a relatively short amount of time, you find it. Small, simple, it’s a weathered, wooden structure with a single door in front and half a dozen windows to either side of the door. ((Both of you please give me a Perception roll))

Daster, if you decide to follow the “followers”, please give me a Hide roll and a Search roll, no multiple action penalties for either one. If you decide not to follow, what do you intend to do?

((Other than the rolls, the game is now open to start actions))

Drake looks around closely. "A rather rough place, but I didn't expect any less... Keep an eye out, for nasties......" Drake says as they head for the meeting point.

Perception Roll is 19

Edited by Falcon79

Kadir is not much use on the ground, he is a good transport pilot and a decent starfighter pilot, as well as a fair mechanic for either type of ship. In capital ships, he can handle the shields or sensors...and the smaller weapons, and can repair the weapons, but not much else yet.

Still, he keeps his eyes open, hoping to spot any danger before it materializes.

Perception roll (Botched, did not see anything)

Gilea looks out the window and plays with her napkin, "All this time getting here, and now here we are waiting some more"

Gilea looks out the window and plays with her napkin, "All this time getting here, and now here we are waiting some more"

"I hope you can recognize this prince of yours." Keenac growled. "Then again, he'll probably stick out like a sore thumb in this sorry place."

Drake, you spot the place..."Gys Drop". It's at the end of a side street. Not many people around. Only about half a dozen tops on the streets at various points. None of them seem at all interested in you.

Inside the cantina, Gilea looks out the window and spots a young man dressed in ship captain's clothes and a blue skinned Duros dressed as many other Duros you've seen....in clothes befitting someone who works on spacecraft rather than flies them. They're making their way towards the cantina. ((Roll Knowledge please, Gilea))

Daster shrugs, thinking he won't get a better shot at a job on this rockball, and follows along in the shadows.

((22 on hide, 17 on search))

Daster, you stay a good distance back, but still within sight of both the ship captain and his crewman AND of the two individuals who had started following them. You can tell by the look of the two that are tailing that they're the sort who likes to skiff people...or worse. They haven't noticed you, though, as they're too intent on the people from the ship. You watch as the ship captain and his friend go into a cantina at the end of a side street. The two who seem to have some malice on their mind have taken up a spot about three buildings away. They're standing near a corner of a rundown building, both of them eyeing the cantina and having a quick conversation.

Gilea, you just finish your sentence and you happen to notice the Human and the Duros enter the cantina. Only then do you realize that the human is Drake. A couple years have added to his build, but he still has the rather boyish face that you remembered when you met him in the Corporate Sector. Keenac, you also see the Human male dressed up in rather clean and neat ship's captain garb. Nothing gawdy, but certainly a bit neat and clean. The fellow next to him is a Duros, and dressed like a typical ship's technician. You can only guess that based on Gilea's gaze settling on the man that he's the one you're here to meet.

Drake and Kadir, you both enter the cantina and find it mostly deserted. A central, circular counter where the bartender is the only place you immediately see anyone, and that's a lone barkeep who's lazily wiping down the counter. To the right, there's two humans who sit at a table and barely pay you any heed. They're busy talking to one another. To your left, in the corner near the windows, you notice a Human female and a large feline...nearly twice the size of the human. The woman is looking at you, Drake, as if she knows you. You think you recognize her, but there's only one way to be sure.

((Okay you four, this is where you all get together.))

Daster will try to sneak closer to the undesirables.

((sneak roll 17))

If he gets within 5 meters, he will pop out of cover and pretend like he knows the 2 bad guys.

((con roll 11)

"Mordave, Grell? its me Dallar. What are you doing here?"

He will walk toward them, general making a scene, trying to scare them off the targets.

Kadir says to Drake, "Either that female is an old flame of yours trying to renew acquaintance, or those two are the potential crew members we came to interview."

Gilea waves, "Hi Drake! Over here"

"So this is the prince, eh?" Keenac gulps down the last of his drink and smooths out his fur.

Gilea waves, "Hi Drake! Over here"

Kadir says to Drake, "Either that female is an old flame of yours trying to renew acquaintance, or those two are the potential crew members we came to interview."

Drake chuckles and says to Kadir..

"Your close Kad, Met her at a function in the corporate sector that was intended for funtionaries of the CSA to marry their daughters into noble families.... And while I was definately attracted to her at the time, I just wasn't ready to marry yet...."

Drake smiles a warm smile and sits across from gilea....

"Hello, Gilea, I see you've kept your exotic, and beautiful, natural royal purple hair and eys...... you looks as stunning as ever....."

"Oh, well thank you, though Im really from a classless corporate meritocracy . . . uh, so, I decided it would be like, fun, to go explore the unknown. Being unknown it needs to be explored right, since its not known. So I thought you might want to recruit me, and also Keenac here, who is very natural and predatory and totally suited for the unknown"

Kadir thinks to himself that the corporate sector is anything but classless, given that 95% of the people live in relative poverty while the remaining 5% prevent anyone else from rising to their ranks by any means at their disposal, including assassination, theft of intellectual property, and blackmail. It is clear this lady is from one of the upper levels, but has not been forced to survive in among the sharks. If she ever returns home after being out in the galaxy, she will find the blinders removed from her eyes and realize the idealized vision she was taught is nothing but a dream.

In the meantime, he will not disillusion her. Instead, Kadir comments, "It is fairly certain a person with your companion's evident physical abilities will not have those abilities wasted in exploring the unknown regions."

"Oh, well thank you, though Im really from a classless corporate meritocracy . . . uh, so, I decided it would be like, fun, to go explore the unknown. Being unknown it needs to be explored right, since its not known. So I thought you might want to recruit me, and also Keenac here, who is very natural and predatory and totally suited for the unknown"

Drake knew the CSA was anything but classless, but was too polite to comment on it.

He smiles and speaks to Gilea....

"I understand your good with a blaster Gil, your knowledge of weaponry sort of turned off all those young noblemen at that gala... I found it interesting about you, so you can shoot well right? I need good security personel for this voyage."

He then speaks to Keenac....

"Hello, Keenac. What are your main specialties?"

"Hello, Keenac. What are your main specialties?"

Keenac looks at Drake straight in the eye and states very matter-of-fact "survival, tracking, hunting and killing prey." He idly scrapes at one of his teeth with a claw. As he finishes cleaning his tooth, Keenac grins widely.

Keenac looks at Drake straight in the eye and states very matter-of-fact "survival, tracking, hunting and killing prey." He idly scrapes at one of his teeth with a claw. As he finishes cleaning his tooth, Keenac grins widely.

Kadir keeps from nodding, the feline has roughly the most common skills for those of his general type, though there are some felinoids who can surprise you No race can really be typecast, though some tend to follow more closely the stereotypes than others. He himself is somewhat typical for a Duros, being a spacer by trade.

Daster, you work your way closer and closer to the two who continue to talk, looking at the cantina and occasionally around at the other buildings. While you carefully move closer, you see one of them pull out a comlink and speak into it for a moment. Then, with a grin that you recognize as being filled with maliciousness, he puts the comlink away.

You make it to within 5 meters.

"Mordave, Grell? its me Dallar. What are you doing here?"

The two of them whirl around, a look of shocked surprised intially on their face. The one with the comlink is the first to recoop from the surprise you gave them. "We're not who you think. Move along out of here." He tries to wave you off but makes no overt action to actually discourage you from coming closer if you desire.

The other one goes from shocked to puzzled as he tries to sort out who you are. He looks to his partner and says "Do we know him?" You can tell from the tone in his voice that he is at odds over whether you are friend or stranger.

Drakes Grins....

"Excellent, we could use a good ground scout for this voyage.."

"I'd like to think better than just well"

Drake bows his head....

"I'm very sure you can, your likely as every bit as deadly as you are beautiful, Madame."

He half playfully flirts and half speaks serious.

Kadir comments, "It is a good thing, while I am a fair shot with starfighter and transport weapons, with personal weapons I am no better than average."

Gilea smiles, "Thank you Drake, I do try"

She turns to Kadir, "Oh, not me, I get positively lost when it comes to vehicles . . . oh, we haven't been introduced, Im Gilea de Roland"