D6 Online 3.0
Snake_Storm

My first unitled project

For a few days now i've been excited about the prospect of making my own game using D6 under the OGL, and i've finally decided out of four possible choices, which one to start with. For the past couple days i've been reading up on various genres, most notably post apocalyptic and dying earth, named after Jack Vance's series of the same name.

It's still in the conceptual stage, But i see it as a world thousands of years into the future, where much of civilization has collapsed, and strange and horrifying creatures now stalk the night. The sun is nearing the end of it's life, and slowly continues to burn as the remaining humans seek fame, fortune and ultimate power in the grips of a second ice age.

It's not intended to break hardly any new grounds, and is mostly an experiment in my ability to create works that are not primarily heroic fantasy. I Was mostly inspired by reading about The Dying Earth series and a twilight zone episode from the original series.

Thoughts and comments are welcome, but bear in mind this is currently just a conept.

Just a thought I'd toyed with over the past few years - What if the PCs are the crew of a sublight (but relativistic) exploration vessel, and depart to explore the galaxy at a significant portion of light speed. Hundreds of thousands (or better still) millions of years pass on Earth, and when they return, their home planet is more like the world portrayed in Dixon's book "After Man" or the miniseries "The Future is Wild" - possibly they were gone longer than they anticipated, and need to discover if humanity survived, and if so, where did they go?

One of my favorites in Dixon's book was the island of Batavia, which was an evolutionary playground of bats 50 million years from now, bats having been the first creatures to arrive. They fill every biological niche, including pack-hunting predators like the Night Stalker, a dog-sized wolf analogue...

Dixon_Night_Stalker.jpg

So, a high tech twist on the post-apocalypse, with the only humans being those on the crew, and the Earth an alien wilderness...

An interesting idea indeed!

Unfortunately the book in question was published four years before i was born, so i've never heard of it, or it's author until now. It's an interesting idea, and i think i'll tackle it using a variant of some sort in The White Star.

It's another project i just conceptualized today, and i think you may have inadvertently given me a premise for it in the future. It's not so much a dying earth premise, but slightly modified that could work out quite well.

Wouldn't want to just steal your idea, though, hence the variation.

Oh, visit the chatroom sometime - I give ideas like this away on a regular basis. I've got too many of 'em, and not enough years in a human lifespan to do many of 'em justice. Have at it with my blessings!

Noted, thanks!

Researched the book as well. Dougal Dixon was either brutally insane or posessor of the most unique imagination i'v e ever seen. Penguins taking the place of whales? genius.

Wow, that looks 'counter-evolutionary'. (get it, like counter-revolutionary) Haha. Looks like a bat bent over backwards looking at his own rump. LOL. Sorry, had to...

In fairness to Dougal Dixon, the reasoning behind the Night Stalker's physical layout is that the stronger limbs are those that used to be the wings, so the legs now go from the shoulder, and the former legs, used primarily for grasping, now have become the arms. His scientific rationale for his extrapolations is far from frivolous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/After_Man:_A_Zoology_of_the_Future

KID

That doesn't look very scary. More like a six-foot

turkey.

Everyone sort of draws in their breath and steps aside, revealing the KID, standing alone. Grant turns to the Kid, lowers his sunglasses, and stares at him like he just came from another planet.

Grant strolls over to the KID , puts his arms around his shoulders in a friendly way.

GRANT

Try to imagine yourself in the Cretaceous Period.

Ellie rolls her eyes.

ELLIE

(under her breath)

Here we go.

GRANT (cont'd)

You'd get your first look at the six-foot turkey as you

move into a clearing. But raptor, he knew you were

there a long time ago. He moves like a bird; lightly,

bobbing his head, And you keep still, because you think

maybe his visual acuity's based on movement, like a T-

rex, and he'll lose you if you don't move. But no. Not

VELOCIRAPTOR. You stare at him, and he just stares

back. That's when the attack comes - - not from the

front, no, from the side, from the other two raptors you

didn't even know were there.

Grant walks around the Kid.

GRANT (cont'd)

Velociraptor's a pack hunter, you see, he uses

coordinated attack patterns, and he's out in force

today. And he slashes at you with this - -

He takes the claw from his pocket and holds it at the front of the raptor's three-toed foot.

GRANT (cont'd)

- - a six-inch retractable claw, like a razor, on the

middle toe. They don't bother to bite the jugular, like

a lion, they just slash here, here - -

He points to the Kid's chest and thigh.

GRANT (cont'd)

- - or maybe across the belly, spilling your intestines.

Point is, you're alive when they start to eat you.

Whole thing took about four seconds.

The Kid is on the verge of tears.

GRANT (cont'd)

So, you know, try to show a little respect.

:D;):D :eek:

Edited by Lee Torres

I would recommend picking up a book of the Talislanta RPG series. It has seen many incarnations and all are a treasure trove of ideas. Michael Secci the developer stated that his work is based in many aspects on Jack Vance.

Just a thought I'd toyed with over the past few years - What if the PCs are the crew of a sublight (but relativistic) exploration vessel, and depart to explore the galaxy at a significant portion of light speed. Hundreds of thousands (or better still) millions of years pass on Earth, and when they return, their home planet is more like the world portrayed in Dixon's book "After Man" or the miniseries "The Future is Wild" - possibly they were gone longer than they anticipated, and need to discover if humanity survived, and if so, where did they go?

Just an FYI, for the explorers to leave Earth and come back in their lifetimes and have 1,000,000 years pass on Earth, they would have to travel at .9999999999 to .99999999999% the speed of light. That is an impressive power source to get a ship up to that % of light as mass increases exponentially the closer you try to travel to the speed of light. (Mass rises proportionally to the time factor).

Just an FYI, for the explorers to leave Earth and come back in their lifetimes and have 1,000,000 years pass on Earth, they would have to travel at .9999999999 to .99999999999% the speed of light. That is an impressive power source to get a ship up to that % of light as mass increases exponentially the closer you try to travel to the speed of light. (Mass rises proportionally to the time factor).

Very true, but for purposes of the game concept it would need to be a very long trip (or posit some handwavium like the Andromeda Ascendant being trapped on the Event Horizon of a Black Hole).

Assuming a source of power capable of reaching those speeds, though, the shipboard time could be measured in years instead of centuries - here's a good reference for that, if you need one: http://home.att.net/~srschmitt/script_starship.html

So, while it would take a staggering power source to achieve, for purposes of bringing the PCs back after millions of years, it's a handy plot device.

Or, on the subject of handwavium, a mis-jump through hyperspace could probably get the PCs to the same place... or anagathics or cryosleep could be used, or a generation ship, or whatever the writer feels like conjuring up. It's the amount of time it takes that's the important thing, not the method.

Edited by Lee Torres

i cooked up a little synopsis for the game. Enjoy!

"The year is one million A.D. and the earth is a shell of it's former self. Society has crumbled into decadence and the sun has begun to fade, ushering in a new ice age. Foul creatures stalk the barren wastelands, hunting anyone brave enough to enter their territory, and Sorcerors rule all! It is a world of high adventure at the end of time, a world of magic and super science. Brave the barren wastelands of the frozen frozen earth in your quest for glory, power and riches! It is an earth we'll never see, it is the end...it is Everfrost!"

This is still all pretty new to me but i think i may be on to something here.

Edited by Snake_Storm
instated a better format.

The sun has about 5 billion more years of life, and when it starts to die, it won't just fade away. It will for sure burn Mercury, Venus, Earth and the Moon to a crisp. (And we may not have anymore Ice Ages if the Artic continues to melt at the rate it is now, but that is up for debate.)

Just in case you care about scientific details for your setting. If not, then please disregard!

Interesting idea for a setting, regardless.

The sun has about 5 billion more years of life, and when it starts to die, it won't just fade away. It will for sure burn Mercury, Venus, Earth and the Moon to a crisp. (And we may not have anymore Ice Ages if the Artic continues to melt at the rate it is now, but that is up for debate.)

Just in case you care about scientific details for your setting. If not, then please disregard!

Interesting idea for a setting, regardless.

Really, we can't have another Ice Age because the Arctic melted today? In that case, why did we have one that lasted nearly 100k years (ending about 10k years ago) when the Arctic was most likely completely melted when the dinosaurs were around.

i cooked up a little synopsis for the game. Enjoy!

"The year is one million A.D. and the earth is a shell of it's former self. Society has crumbled into decadence and the sun has begun to fade, ushering in a new ice age. Foul creatures stalk the barren wastelands, hunting anyone brave enough to enter their territory, and Sorcerors rule all! It is a world of high adventure at the end of time, a world of magic and super science. Brave the barren wastelands of the frozen frozen earth in your quest for glory, power and riches! It is an earth we'll never see, it is the end...it is Everfrost!"

This is still all pretty new to me but i think i may be on to something here.

Your intro reminded me of an intro from a post-apocalypse cartoon from the 80s... Thundarr the Barbarian www.thundarr.com

"The year 1994: From out of space comes a runaway planet, hurtling between the Earth and the Moon, unleashing cosmic destruction. Man's civilization is cast in ruin.

Two thousand years later, Earth is reborn...

A strange new world rises from the old: a world of savagery, super science, and sorcery. But one man bursts his bonds to fight for justice! With his companions Ookla the Mok and Princess Ariel, he pits his strength, his courage, and his fabulous Sunsword against the forces of evil.

He is Thundarr, the Barbarian!"

Everfrost sounds pretty cool, too. (pun intended)

thanks for all the kind words of encouragement, and just for the record, i care little for what science has to say about doomsday anyway. Tried making a setting from a scientific perspective and it was the most mind-numbingly boring afternoon of my life.

Part of the reason i build settings is for entertainment, and as far as science goes, beyond the sun, moon, stars and gravity, it's all fair game. besides...i doubt the earth has even another 100 years given the way the world is being run. so this is a pure fantasy to me.

And i'm a big Thundaar the Barbarian fan, and a tiny bit of inspiration came from that.

Edited by Snake_Storm

Overall, keep it simple, allow it to breath a bit too. In other words, don't corner yourself, but give yourself a good room to start building the house around. GMs tend to want a stylistic blueprint, not necessarily a finished house. Something that defines the style, but not all of the add-ons. Start with one very clear vision, and work from there.

Really, we can't have another Ice Age because the Arctic melted today?

(And we may not have anymore Ice Ages if the Artic continues to melt at the rate it is now, but that is up for debate.)

You must have been tired, Cryonic. Your normally highy acute powers of factual criticism failed you on this one. "may not" does not equal "can't." "continues to melt" does not mean "melted (past tense) today".

But I will add here that one obvious difference between the age of the dinosaurs, the last ice age, and the future is that before 10,000 years ago, we didn't have mankind slowly ruining the planet. But as I orignially qualified my add-in statement, I acknowledge that those theories are not conclusive.

Please accept my apology if I struck some sort of cord with you. That was not my intention, and I could have very easily left that out. I'm more of cosmology guy and the main point of my post was meant to be about the demise of the sun. Thus the use of parentheses for the ice age part.

thanks for all the kind words of encouragement, and just for the record, i care little for what science has to say about doomsday anyway. Tried making a setting from a scientific perspective and it was the most mind-numbingly boring afternoon of my life.

Part of the reason i build settings is for entertainment, and as far as science goes, beyond the sun, moon, stars and gravity, it's all fair game. besides...i doubt the earth has even another 100 years given the way the world is being run. so this is a pure fantasy to me.

And i'm a big Thundaar the Barbarian fan, and a tiny bit of inspiration came from that.

Sorry Snake, we didn't mean to take over your thread. Cryonic and I just get scientific sometimes.

Getting back on track, I'm sorry you had that mind-numbingly boring day, but at least you got out of it a decision about your level of disregard for science. It's fantasy. If that works for you, it works for me too!

I think you have a really good idea for a setting and it sounds fun. Please keep us posted of any developements!

P.S. I was huge Thundarr fan myself. I used to watch that and Super Friends on ABC Saturday mornings when I was a wee brat.

well, i've decided to cut my teeth on a very slightly, more familiar system. i've spent far more time making games than actually playing them, and i want to spend some more time actually playing.

i've just recently discovered what i want out of RPGs in a somewhat philosophical matter, spent some time over at the forge, and i just feel like i'm jumping in and trying to write on a subject i have little experience with. Hopefully this period of play will provide some much needed insight into just how i like my games, and in a year or so i expect to return to my role as a game designer.

To this end, Everfrost is on hold, and i'll resume work as soon as i feel more confident in my ability to actually do it justice. i'm not Jack Vance, after all.