D6 Online 3.0
Sign in to follow this  
Jerry D. Grayson

“My game group only plays D&D�:(

I didn’t want to derail the thread that I read this in so I figured I would do a *snip* and post it here.

*cry* The people around here seem to be stuck on D&D and/or they only want to play on weeknights.

This is a statement I hear all the time and it blows my mind.

A lot of people are stuck on D&D until you hip them to something else.

I play a lot of games with guys who are hardcore into D&D and the RPGA. They live and breathe it but are usually open to other games if pitched properly. The beauty of all the groups I play in is that we all want to play good games and we are all willing to indulge the others at the table.

For instance; My Wednesday night group plays a ton of so called “indie” games. One player is heavy into D&D and when the GM duties rotated to him he wanted to run some 4th edition. None of us are really into 4th edition but he’s really pumped about running it and who knows, we may really enjoy it. He’s been a good sport and indulged my wife when she wanted to run Starchildren and me when I wanted to run PTA.

I have never met a D&D player who flat out didn’t want to play an RPG just because it wasn’t D&D. Most only know D&D and so that’s in their comfort zone but when approached with some Dark Conspiracy, or Shadows of Yesterday they may sneer a bit but soon warm to playing something else.

Maybe I’m lucky and have never run into that group (and I’ve been playing since 1981)

I’d suggest doing your best pitch for the game you want to run and then asking them to give you two or three weeks of play to test the game out. When I want to run a game I usually show up with several different games and pass them around. I talk about the different games and what the games try to emulate.

I bring a few games of every genre that I would want to run and we talk about games. One of the keys to a good group is being there for more than just the game. If I cant be your friend (or at least tolerate and have a conversation with you)I have no interest in gaming with you. Once the ball gets rolling most gamers will open up with games they would like to play and genres they would like to explore. Once that happens most of the work is done.

Thoughts?

opinions?

I hear ya, Jerry. When I first arrived in the area, I hooked up with the local RPGA crew playing Living Greyhawk. I had fun with it, met some nice folks and I generally enjoyed the setting for nearly 2 years previously. After a few play sessions, I inquired as to the possibility of playing other games (which I even offered to GM.) Some said they had home games besides the weekly RPGA (and were NOT looking for players), but mostly the response was, "we only play Living Greyhawk."

Skip forward to 4e and the transition to Living Forgotten Realms. I tried it a couple of times and was dismayed that the story factors and characterization was nearly completely eliminated in favor of tactical combat. Naturally, the RPGA crew made the transition and continues to play it to this day. I even got to witness one of the judges being quite upset at not enjoying the setting, but still running due to her obligations of being a judge.

Of course, the fact that they played from 6-10pm on Wednesday didn't help, either.

I put out the call to meetup.com, rancorpit.com, swa-gaming.org asking around for gaming groups in need of players or players in need of a GM.

I managed to find some nice folks... playing DnD 3.5, again, I gave it a shot, played a few weeks before nearly all of us didn't like the campaign. At one point I brought over some of the 'gems' of my collection. Star Wars d6, AD&D Dark Sun, Earthdawn, Shadowrun, even Rifts. I offered to run SWd6 as a one-shot intro to the rules and they accepted. Apparently, it wasn't their thing. Ok, no problem, because they were willing to run games about every other weekend. That was back in March. They switched to The Burning Wheel RPG (good game, btw) but only continue to play on Tues and Wed nights, (no more weekends). and believe me, I've asked about playing weekends to the point of pestering the GM.

Long story longer, I'm kinda disheartened at the moment and have just about given up on some old school gaming. I was in Zombie Planet (the home of Eden Studios) and George V. told me some disturbing news. According to his research, the average RPG campaign lasts 6 months or less. *sigh*

In the meantime, I'm enjoying the pbp games here and am doing what I can to drum up something in my local area. But I swear it feels like making a pass at every pretty girl that walks by (and even some ugly ones)... one of em has got to say yes eventually.

Edited by Rerun941

Yes, I had this problem with my old group that preferred 3e D&D to anything else and when I ran another RPG only about half the group would show up. However, it was I think due to the simple fact that they didn't want to learn another RPG due to the rules mastery component of D&D, which does take time and money. Also they just preferred fantasy and D&D was simply fantasy roleplaying for them. Most roleplayers are pretty regimented in what RPGs they play.

Guest bave

I generally believe RPG classes. You basically have a few types of games, then a variety of outliers.

You have your fantasy based RPG's, which is where D&D lives and dominates. I have yet to see a system that is nearly as complete, expansive, and flexible as D&D 3.x. You can make it as simple or as hard as you want, while still making characters unique and diverse. It has a few balance problems, but they tend to be with the later material due to power creep and are easily house ruled.

Then you have your sci-fi games. Your Starwars, your Rifts, etc all fall into this. These have different systems, different ramifications etc.

Then you have everything else. You will get a hard time getting people to play others, because of the narrow market. You need something that people can grasp, and that will eliminate the smaller boutique type games.

The best example I know is Torg. Its a decent game, but its all over the place. Twenty million things at once, and all of them are different. It tried to combine every game into one, which some people may like, but alot of others will not. It makes it hard to get a mass market.

In short, the only thing, IMO, that will ever get mass market is D&D/fantasy genre, but that is dominated and will be for quite a while.

I'm not a big fan of 4E, but if found a group that played regularly, I'd be more than willing to attend and have fun. The few I've run across lately are either full, inactive, or far too young.

The young group was pretty awkward for me, actually. I'm 27, so by no means Old Man of the Sea, but having a 17 year old hit on me because I could buy her alcohol was... not my thing.

Guest bave
I'm not a big fan of 4E, but if found a group that played regularly, I'd be more than willing to attend and have fun. The few I've run across lately are either full, inactive, or far too young.

The young group was pretty awkward for me, actually. I'm 27, so by no means Old Man of the Sea, but having a 17 year old hit on me because I could buy her alcohol was... not my thing.

Ha, two crimes at once. Corruption of a minor and statutory rape. Score.

4E blows. Tried it twice, won't make the same mistake a third time. If I wanted to play a video game on paper I would.