D6 Online 3.0
Jerry D. Grayson

Future D6 Products

Hey gang

I’m curious what’s in the stew pots for D6. I’d like to know what commercial product are in the pipes

Everyone planning on doing a d6 project please list what you’re working on and when it will be available please. Websites and links to previews would be great

Thanks!

I am talking with the publisher about doing a second edition of the Psibertroopers book from back in 2003. Still up in the air, but there is a pretty good change it will happen.

I am talking with the publisher about doing a second edition of the Psibertroopers book from back in 2003. Still up in the air, but there is a pretty good change it will happen.

Any chance it'll be D6 Legend, sir? :cool:

That's just crazy talk, Lee! ;)

Chances are, I'm betting, it'll be staying in the system that Psibertroopers originally was produced in. So it'll be pre-"3 core rulebook" rules. Now I might be wrong...ol' Nerdron would certainly know better than I.

Oh, and to stay on the topic of discussion...

Jerry, I don't have anything that I'm going to "officially" publish in print, nor any sort of official release time, but I am working on stuff that I'll submit to OpenD6. So I'm not sure if that counts or not. *shrug*

Oh, I'm chock full of crazy talk, you know me! :D

Jerry, I'm currently working on converting Christian Conkle's Lightspeed to D6 for the ComStar Games Universe Project, but I have neither website (beyond the ComStar Games Universe Project site) nor availability date - but rest assured I'm pedaling as fast as I can!

No need to worry, Grimace, it'll be Classic D6!

Edited by Lee Torres

I've mentioned it before, but I'm working on a modern horror(ish) game called The Forgotten that will be using D6 Legend. I wrote an adventure for it for the 2008 WoAdWriMo challenge - Obliviscence. My initial plan was to use EABA, but I like being able to include the rules for the game in the book so I've switched to D6.

When it will actually be out is always the million dollar question. Probably next year at this rate.

Cheers,

Jason

Oh, I'm planning on that too, but ComStar comes first. My notion is actually a hybrid, much as the D6 Dramatics system that Ad Astra has going, that uses D6 Legend as a basis and builds on that - mine is a blend of D6 Classic from the Star Wars/Metabarons era, some of the better ideas I've seen in the house rules for those games, and D6 Legend. The working title is D6 Amalgam, and I know from lurking on some boards around the web that there are those that won't like it (I've heard people say that they prefer D6 Legend because it gets rid of the pips (+1, +2), but I'm putting them back in, silly person that I am).

I've playtested it over the years using a Pulp setting spinning off from the events of the movie King Kong, a Space Opera setting of my own design, Doctor Who, Babylon 5, and a few others, and while there are those that shun Legend because it counts successes, I've found my D6 Amalgam system to be fairly rules-light but with some crunch to it, and best of all it's tremendously fast in play. By that I mean that firefights and such are typically resolved in minutes. Once the players have the hang of it, which doesn't take long, it gets close to real time.

Once Lightspeed is wrapped, I'll devote my attention to the Space Opera setting, which will use D6 Amalgam. An old friend of mine that passed away three years ago loved that campaign, so I decided to release it to the public, to see if they love it too...

Lee, if you ever want to compare Notes on D6 Legend stuff, let me know. Like I said, I prefer it, but because I don't own Psibertroopers, it is up to The publisher to decide. they are using a legends variant for the stuff they are working on, so it is definitely possible.

I’m curious what’s in the stew pots for D6. I’d like to know what commercial product are in the pipes

Everyone planning on doing a d6 project please list what you’re working on and when it will be available please. Websites and links to previews would be great

I'm working on Stormrift. I started a design blog a while back, but I don't like Xanga's interface so I'm considering a switch to blogger. Here is a link to the first post:

http://petespahn.xanga.com/703370750/stormrift-101/

There are over a dozen other posts (many of which I've expanded on), and also a link to some artwork. I'm in the process of working out the setting-specific system stuff so my posts have slowed somewhat, but I have a lot more setting text written down. More artwork is also on the way.

No release date as of yet, but I'm hoping it won't be much longer.

Any feedback is most welcome.

Pete

We have the following projects in various stages of development:

1. A series of smaller game guides (detectives, action hero game, etc)

2. Lightspeed d6 (Lightspeed returning to its roots.. this is currently being converted by Lee Torres)

3. Alien Guide (this will include about 25K words on creating aliens, with about 55 sample aliens)

4. Final Frontier (about half written.. this is quite similar to a Star Trek type setting, with a few twists that I think people will like)

5. A superhero world setting that has been fully outlined and assigned to a writer

We have recently worked out a good marketing and distribution deal that will hopefully help us beable to develop more material than I had originally thought we would be able to (*crosses fingers*)

William

ComStar

Hey gang

Thanks!

I've been away from gaming for a little bit. Now that I'm mostly back I'm going to start working on my cyberpunk book. For now its a fan work but has every potential of becoming commercial work. I've got a lot of it typed out. I Want to write some parts as we play it in game. Kind of a play test as we go.

Does anybody plan to release any new OGC in their products?

At the moment, I am looking for a set of world generation rules for a homebrew SF project that I am working on, and haven't found anything that suits my needs. I'm kind of wondering whether I should write something myself or wait to see what the community develops.

Here's some details of the homebrew setting I am working on - I doubt that it will ever be published though :)

The Starfarer RPG

The Starfarer Universe is a space opera campaign setting inspired by the recent resurgence of the literary genre. It incorporates elements drawn from the contemporary radical hard SF and assimilates a range of transhumanist and postcyberpunk influences. The basic concept was to take the D6 System - which is still the best system for cinematic space opera - and update it to reflect recent developments in the genre.

The Starfarer Universe has been strongly influenced by the British space opera authors who emerged during the late 1990s - notably Iain M. Banks, Peter F. Hamilton, Alastair Reynolds, Charles Stross, Ken MacLeod, Liz Williams, and Neal Asher. However, it is also influenced by contemporary American military space opera from authors such as David Weber, Elizabeth Moon, Mike Shepherd, and Lois McMaster Bujold. And it contains some influences drawn from recent hard SF masterworks, including Greg Egan's Diaspora, Gregory Benford's Galactic Centre Series, Vernor Vinge's Fire Upon the Deep and Stephen Baxter's Xeelee Sequence.

The visual style of the Starfarer Universe has a grungy, industrial feel that is reminiscent of films such as Aliens and Blade Runner as well as television shows such as Firefly and the new Battlestar Galactica. However, it also incorporate elements derived from certain Japanese manga and anime — including Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed, Yukito Kishiro's Battle Angel Alita (aka Gunnm), as well as Cowboy Bebop and Bubblegum Crisis 2040.

The Starfarer campaign setting depicts a sprawling interstellar civilization that covers a region almost a thousand light years in diameter. It is set in the 32nd century, almost six hundred years after the Great Diaspora - a period of rapid interstellar exploration and expansion that began with the development of the Alcubierre Drive in the 24th century. The campaign setting depicts an era of consolidation in which rival interstellar states compete for power and influence. After centuries of genetic engineering, the human species has fragmented into dozens of unique clades adapted to different environments. Ironically, baseline humans are almost an endangered species, poorly adapted to life beyond Earth. In addition, the rise of machine intelligences has radically redefined what it means to be human.

By default, characters are citizens of the Second Federation - a relatively young interstellar polity that has grown out of an loose alliance of independent planets. Founded less than three centuries after the the collapse of the original Terran Federation in a devastating civil war, the Second Federation is a vibrant young interstellar state where many of the mundane administrative functions of government are performed by god-like AIs. It has adopted a system of government based upon "demarchist" (democratic anarchist) principles, where all citizens are free to vote on any issue of interest to them. Naturally, the Second Federation is surrounded on all sides by enemies that oppose its idealistic philosophies.

If anybody is interested in more information, I'll start a new thread and post a detailed description of the setting.

Does anybody plan to release any new OGC in their products?

I do, but I doubt it will be anything exciting. At best it would be a spaceship generation system, and that would a) be very 'loose' with little crunch, and b) a long long long way off :)

Edited by jasonga

Lee Torres is working on an OGL version, and I am working on modified version of that. In print the olny way to get it is the DC Universe or Hercules and Xena RPG, both of which are long out of print, but can be found on Ebay and other places.

Here's some details of the homebrew setting I am working on - I doubt that it will ever be published though :)

The Starfarer RPG

The Starfarer Universe is a space opera campaign setting inspired by the recent resurgence of the literary genre. It incorporates elements drawn from the contemporary radical hard SF and assimilates a range of transhumanist and postcyberpunk influences. The basic concept was to take the D6 System - which is still the best system for cinematic space opera - and update it to reflect recent developments in the genre.

The Starfarer Universe has been strongly influenced by the British space opera authors who emerged during the late 1990s - notably Iain M. Banks, Peter F. Hamilton, Alastair Reynolds, Charles Stross, Ken MacLeod, Liz Williams, and Neal Asher. However, it is also influenced by contemporary American military space opera from authors such as David Weber, Elizabeth Moon, Mike Shepherd, and Lois McMaster Bujold. And it contains some influences drawn from recent hard SF masterworks, including Greg Egan's Diaspora, Gregory Benford's Galactic Centre Series, Vernor Vinge's Fire Upon the Deep and Stephen Baxter's Xeelee Sequence.

The visual style of the Starfarer Universe has a grungy, industrial feel that is reminiscent of films such as Aliens and Blade Runner as well as television shows such as Firefly and the new Battlestar Galactica. However, it also incorporate elements derived from certain Japanese manga and anime — including Masamune Shirow's Ghost in the Shell and Appleseed, Yukito Kishiro's Battle Angel Alita (aka Gunnm), as well as Cowboy Bebop and Bubblegum Crisis 2040.

The Starfarer campaign setting depicts a sprawling interstellar civilization that covers a region almost a thousand light years in diameter. It is set in the 32nd century, almost six hundred years after the Great Diaspora - a period of rapid interstellar exploration and expansion that began with the development of the Alcubierre Drive in the 24th century. The campaign setting depicts an era of consolidation in which rival interstellar states compete for power and influence. After centuries of genetic engineering, the human species has fragmented into dozens of unique clades adapted to different environments. Ironically, baseline humans are almost an endangered species, poorly adapted to life beyond Earth. In addition, the rise of machine intelligences has radically redefined what it means to be human.

By default, characters are citizens of the Second Federation - a relatively young interstellar polity that has grown out of an loose alliance of independent planets. Founded less than three centuries after the the collapse of the original Terran Federation in a devastating civil war, the Second Federation is a vibrant young interstellar state where many of the mundane administrative functions of government are performed by god-like AIs. It has adopted a system of government based upon "demarchist" (democratic anarchist) principles, where all citizens are free to vote on any issue of interest to them. Naturally, the Second Federation is surrounded on all sides by enemies that oppose its idealistic philosophies.

If anybody is interested in more information, I'll start a new thread and post a detailed description of the setting.

I'm interested. This setting sounds awesome! Your genre influence descriptions sound intriguing to me. Traditionally, space opera is far away from hard sci-fi and transhumanism. But I admit that I haven't read the authors and works you cited, and most of my experience with space opera is Star Wars and Star Trek.

I would describe the Star Wars type of space opera as "pulp adventure on an epic scale and taking place in space (multiple planets/star systems)". Star Trek is a twist on that, still technically space opera but incorporating more classic sci-fi elements (the new movie stepping back a bit from sci-fi and going deeper into the more classic space opera). Firefly/Serenity is some where in there too.

Star Wars is the ultimate space opera. Hard sci-fi authors could totally ripped Star Wars to shreads on a scientific level (unfailrly - it is not meant to be that genre). And in Star Wars, humans have been the dominant species in the galaxy for 25,000 years but they (pointedly) haven't really evolved beyond the humans of today.

But as a GM, I often put a little more sci-fi into my Star Wars game (the Star Trek influence), so this hard-sci-fi/transhumanist-influenced space opera sounds very interesting to me. Thanks for sharing!

I want to play this or GM it or both. So many settings lack depth and consistancy, or they are a one trick horse, lacking in play scope (i'm looking at you star trek, on all three). To be honest, I would end up "dirting" the foundation a little. The people I play with tend to look behind the curtain if things seem too good to be true.

My layman's nitpicks:

The combination of direct democracy and an idealistic society will also often lead to oppressive confirmity or cultural stagnation. See Switzerland as an example. Also remember to detail why the opposing civilisations hate them so miuch. "enving the freedoms" is a crock, enving disparate amount of wealth and resources gained in lopsided trade agreements enforced by military and economic superiority is more realistic. People may be moral and righteous, but nations and large organisations tend to be amoral and naturally only concerned about thier own self interests. /end big rant

**Apologise for the tone, woke up cranky I think.

Edited by surma
Apology

As posted already Im planning a cyberpunk'ish game. While it may or not end up as a print setting I may be working on another setting that has gotten me exited.

A friend of mine who I have been gaming with for a long long time wants to relaunch a game that a group of us created a long time ago. I have suggested porting the game over to d6.

Looks like we are a go. We just have to convert 16-18 years worth of notes and material into a coherent book format. Should be easy right?

I posted about it in my gaming blog in my signature.

Just as a recommendation, I've already completed the "scrubbing" of DC IP from DC Universe. I'm working with another member here to get the OGL document attached, per Eric Gibson's statements here and elsewhere that D6 Legend is OGL, and it should be up very soon. The actual document has been complete since August. You may want to just wait a few days. ;)